ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: knicks vs. twolves 1/1, 3pm - to 2024 & beyond

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Re: GT: knicks vs. twolves 1/1, 3pm - to 2024 & beyond 

Post#81 » by nedleeds » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:57 pm

cgf wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
cgf wrote:
We could pick Lavine up on the cheap, then when an MVP caliber dude becomes available offer 4 unprotected FRPs, any protected picks we have left, and one of Brunson / Lavine / Randle. With OG, Grimes, Robinson, Hartenstein, Hart, and McBride around that big 3.

We can't afford that.

DDV + Fournier for Lavine works. Would just need to solve our backup Center hole with someone cheap.

Zach Collins has been playing well this year, but just sprained his ankle. Surely he could be poached from the Spurs tank.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#82 » by cgf » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:58 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
cgf wrote:
We could pick Lavine up on the cheap, then when an MVP caliber dude becomes available offer 4 unprotected FRPs, any protected picks we have left, and one of Brunson / Lavine / Randle. With OG, Grimes, Robinson, Hartenstein, Hart, and McBride around that big 3.

We can't afford that.

Exactly. I don't see how we'll be able to add a player with a big salary like Mitchell or LaVine. We simply do not have the contracts to make a trade work unless you convince a team to take Randle and that's not going to happen. Hartenstein might have been a contract we could have added to make it work a little but we cannot afford to trade him with Mitch out.

We're basically looking at Murray or someone like Brogdan or Clarkson for Fournier, Grimes and a **** load of picks.

Again Fournier's expiring + DDV is enough to match for Lavine. We wouldn't have any more big salaries to use to bolster our depth, but we'd still have the Toppin TPE, Achuiwa makes enough to match for someone making 9M, Flynn makes enough to match up to 8M, and there's that less useful Robinson exception that we could use to sign someone for up to 1yr 7.8M.

And at that point we'd have Lavine, Randle, or Brunson's salaries to match for an MVP caliber dude, if one ever became available to us. So we actually can afford it. The question is does our FO view Lavine as an under-rated asset that could do much better for us, like Randle & Brunson, and is the Klutch/CAA thing an actual factor or just wild speculation.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,808

Post#83 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:58 pm

cgf wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
cgf wrote:

Lavine wont be cheap..because you have to match that bloated contract. Murray is the ideal fit for Brunson and hopefully what we are able to give up for him.

DDV + Fournier + NYK/DAL FRP + DET FRP works for Lavine.

Murray would be terrible for our spacing and he hasn't played good defense in years. Just a horrible fit.

I'm no CBA guru but I don't think that works salary wise. We'd need to add Hartenstein and Archi or Sims, no?
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#84 » by nedleeds » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:59 pm

LaVines knee would explode in warmups of his first game as a Knick. Like his knee cap would fly off and hit Dolan in the balls.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#85 » by nedleeds » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:00 pm

cgf wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
cgf wrote:

Lavine wont be cheap..because you have to match that bloated contract. Murray is the ideal fit for Brunson and hopefully what we are able to give up for him.

Murray would be terrible for our spacing and he hasn't played good defense in years. Just a horrible fit.

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran

Post#86 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:02 pm

cgf wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

We can't afford that.

Exactly. I don't see how we'll be able to add a player with a big salary like Mitchell or LaVine. We simply do not have the contracts to make a trade work unless you convince a team to take Randle and that's not going to happen. Hartenstein might have been a contract we could have added to make it work a little but we cannot afford to trade him with Mitch out.

We're basically looking at Murray or someone like Brogdan or Clarkson for Fournier, Grimes and a **** load of picks.

Again Fournier's expiring + DDV is enough to match for Lavine. We wouldn't have any more big salaries to use to bolster our depth, but we'd still have the Toppin TPE, Achuiwa makes enough to match for someone making 9M, Flynn makes enough to match up to 8M, and there's that less useful Robinson exception that we could use to sign someone for up to 1yr 7.8M.

And at that point we'd have Lavine, Randle, or Brunson's salaries to match for an MVP caliber dude, if one ever became available to us. So we actually can afford it. The question is does our FO view Lavine as an under-rated asset that could do much better for us, like Randle & Brunson, and is the Klutch/CAA thing an actual factor or just wild speculation.

Forgot about the TPE, you're right! Thanks!

I don't think we can trade Achiuwa and Flynn for a couple of weeks past the trade deadline.

I still wouldn't touch LaVine. Doesn't impact winning and his knee situation is scary on top of that insane contract. Would prefer waiting or taking a chance at Murray or Brogdan depending on the cost.
cgf
RealGM

Post#87 » by cgf » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:02 pm

nedleeds wrote:
cgf wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

We can't afford that.

DDV + Fournier for Lavine works. Would just need to solve our backup Center hole with someone cheap.

Zach Collins has been playing well this year, but just sprained his ankle. Surely he could be poached from the Spurs tank.

He's someone I've been meaning to ask Spurs fans about because he's cheap enough for us to bring in without using Fournier's expiring...which I'd like to use on our backcourt; whether that's upgrading on DDV with a Lavine/Mitchell, or grabbing a bench guard like Hield / Brogdon / Sexton / Clarkson / Tyus Jones / Coby White...who would be a dream target but is unrealistic.

I see our Center options as a higher priced guy like Capela / Gafford / Olnyk, and if we go cheaper Bitadze / Richards, so if Collins could be another cheaper option, that'd be nice...although I think Bitadze would be my favorite option, he has that size around the rim & on the glass that we're lacking without Mitch and we could get him without using Fournier.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,199

Post#88 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=oWAQ5JzX5AK-44v89eypvw
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
cgf
RealGM

Post#89 » by cgf » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:04 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
cgf wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:

I don't think we can trade Achiuwa and Flynn for a couple of weeks past the trade deadline.

I still wouldn't touch LaVine. Doesn't impact winning and his knee situation is scary on top of that insane contract. Would prefer waiting or taking a chance at Murray or Brogdan depending on the cost.

Flynn & Achuiwa can't be aggregated with any other players to match salaries for 2 months, which would be after the deadline, but we can trade them on their own (+ picks) right away. And on their own Achuiwa makes enough to match for up to 9M and Flynn makes enough to match for up to 8M.

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran

Post#90 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:05 pm

How is Murray bad for spacing? Isn't 38% on 6 attempts good? :-?
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran

Post#91 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:07 pm

cgf wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:
cgf wrote:

Flynn & Achuiwa can't be aggregated with any other players to match salaries for 2 months, which would be after the deadline, but we can trade them on their own (+ picks) right away. And on their own Achuiwa makes enough to match for up to 9M and Flynn makes enough to match for up to 8M.

Starting off the year learning or remembering something! Thanks!

I think whoever we acquire will come with question marks. There isn't a perfect fit out there. Hope Leon, Rosas and Thibs do their homework.
cgf
RealGM

Post#92 » by cgf » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:09 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
cgf wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Lavine wont be cheap..because you have to match that bloated contract. Murray is the ideal fit for Brunson and hopefully what we are able to give up for him.

I'm no CBA guru but I don't think that works salary wise. We'd need to add Hartenstein and Archi or Sims, no?

Since we're a non-tax team we can take in more than we send out as long as it's within a certain % of what we send out and I'm pretty sure that DDV+Evan is close enough to Lavine's salary for it to work...or all we'd have to add is Arcidiacono, which would be nbd.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#93 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:10 pm

Brunson/Deuce
???/???
OG/Hart
Randle/???
iHart/???

Who starts at the 2?
Does Precious get any burn?
Taj is really the backup C?

We know we have a mandatory 9 man rotation because Thibs is a moron. These are the only questions following the trade as of now.
:beer: RIP mags
cgf
RealGM

Post#94 » by cgf » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:11 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:How is Murray bad for spacing? Isn't 38% on 6 attempts good? :-?

It is but it's just a 30 game sample size. The past 3 seasons he's been worse than Julius from 3 and on his career he's a 34.1% 3pt shooter, as a comparison Randle has been a 33.7% 3pt shooter for us.

For a big PF that's not good, for a guard that's just awful.

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,387

Post#95 » by F N 11 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 4:49 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:I'd like to see McBride get at least 20 minutes a game. The guy has shown he can impact games.

We cutting Brunson down to 28 mins? Expect no more than 10-12 max, if he even sticks in the rotation at all

Thibs had Deuce out there next to Brunson in some parts of the 4th quarter against the Pacers. But I agree, I think 10-15 minutes is more realistic for McBride.

I’m not gon lie. Deuce is an impact player with defense alone. Now his shot seem to come around. Let’s see if he can fit into a role. Thibs seem like he going to not play Flynn with his weirdness of not wanting to play new guys over guys already on team.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,019

Post#96 » by RHODEY » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:09 pm

cgf wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
cgf wrote:

So you weaken our bench further for a high usage, injury prone, non defense playing player who doesn't really want to play in NY? Murray for Grimes +Fournier and just 2 picks would be cheaper and a better fit.

Murray's career USG is 23%, Lavine's is 27%. The last two seasons Murray has played in 74 & 68 games, Lavine has played in 77 & 67 games.

And Murray hasn't been any better than Lavine defensively in years, he's living off his reputation from early in his career. At this point Randle is a better defender than DJM.

The main differences are that Lavine is paid more but would cost less in trade...Grimes > DDV...and that Murray is a 34% 3pt shooter for his career with a TS of 52.6%, while Lavine is a career 38% 3pt shooter with a TS of 58%.

I guessI just have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Lavine is on a down trend and really was not all that impactful even when his offensive stats are good. But let's look at the current state of both players:

Lavine has missed a ton of games this season. Not a good sign for a soon to be 29 year old who already had a serious injury.
Murray has shot better overall this season and much better from 3pt percentage 38% versus 33%. This is a good sign as it shows an upward trend for a player focused on improvement.

For his entire career Lavine hasn't really done much else but score and even there he has't been doing a good job of that this season. Why would you want to sign on for that?

There is a reason why the trade market is cold for him. Why do you want to bail the Bulls out?

The main differences between the 2 players are defensive acumen (I know you disagree) and equally as important..play making.
Murray perfectly complements Brunson because he a Point guard who can play shooting guard. He's averaging over 5 assists while playing on the Hawks. Brunson visa versa. He'll allow Brunson to play off ball ....where as Lavine can't play point ....at all.

Lavine doe s not facilitate..again all he does is ...score...and again he's not doing that too well lately. So when I say he has much high usage, I'm factoring in his more selfish one dimensional play style.

And finally Grimes is not> Donte. Not right now... Have you been watching Donte dropping career highs with 90% percentile efficiency from the corner 3? You want to trade that away for the guy that nobody wants...why???
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#97 » by RHODEY » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:14 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:How is Murray bad for spacing? Isn't 38% on 6 attempts good? :-?

Because stats dont matter :D
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,387

Post#98 » by F N 11 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:14 pm

cgf wrote:

It is but it's just a 30 game sample size. The past 3 seasons he's been worse than Julius from 3 and on his career he's a 34.1% 3pt shooter, as a comparison Randle has been a 33.7% 3pt shooter for us.

He would be here for speed, defense, and play-making. Scoring and hitting 3s is a plus. Idk why people think he’s a bad player. He’s also an asset with the contract that teams would want back in a trade. Thinking about Fit and what he would be asked to do. I again say Brunson don’t want to have the ball all the time. Having Murray out there you gotta have your head on a swivel bc he can break down defense and create plays. We keep saying we don’t want nobody then always don’t have enough come playoff time.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 34,329

Post#99 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=W09F6FrMDfp5_y1gKYgF1g
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#100 » by RHODEY » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:19 pm

cgf wrote:

You focusing on the the past. But players can improve.... just look at Dearon Fox's 3pt percentage now versus career. A 32 game sample size is large it's like 40% of the season.

Return to New York Knicks