ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Anime

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,037

Re: OT- Anime 

Post#61 » by cgf » Tue Apr 5, 2011 1:42 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Good suggestions, never even knew we had that anime heads on the board. I'll get to most of these eventually, key word being on eventually.

CGF to me Elfen Lied had a great premise, story but the execution was just lacking to me. Left me wanting more, a lot to be desired.

Really? I've only watched it the one time so maybe I was just too high/into it to have noticed but Elfen Lied is one of the few anime that has a 10 on my myanimelist.net ...Black Lagoon, Code Geass, NGE and LotGH being the others
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Subway Token
RealGM
And1: 157

Post#62 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 1:44 am

Anyone see/read Hunter X Hunter? Is Kurapica a girl?? Im starting to think so...
BAT 14.0 Judge. PM for paypal info.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,503

Post#63 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:17 am

knicksfan5494 wrote:Anyone see/read Hunter X Hunter? Is Kurapica a girl?? Im starting to think so...

Kurapica has one of the best moments in the anime shutting down a character that is absolutely out of his league by pure planning and ballsiness...not sure if you've gotten that far into it. He's no joke. Sadly he was no where to be found during the final couple of arcs, because I don't think they'll ever complete that series with the mess it became.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#64 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:20 am

j4remi wrote:
knicksfan5494 wrote:Anyone see/read Hunter X Hunter? Is Kurapica a girl?? Im starting to think so...

Kurapica has one of the best moments in the anime shutting down a character that is absolutely out of his league by pure planning and ballsiness...not sure if you've gotten that far into it. He's no joke. Sadly he was no where to be found during the final couple of arcs, because I don't think they'll ever complete that series with the mess it became.

I know, Kurapica is totally a badass... I love the contrast you see in the characters. Killua is a beast too <3. I read the manga a LOOONG time ago but I just started watching the Anime yesterday. I'm on 19 I think. I'm up to the part where they get stranded on the island.

But, guessing what you said, I bet Kurapica shuts down Hisoka.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#65 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:21 am

P.S. Big O was really great to me. Boogiepop Phantom is really out there and a bit tough to follow but I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on checking out Serial Experiment Lain when I can.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Subway Token
RealGM

Post#66 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:23 am

j4remi wrote:P.S. Big O was really great to me. Boogiepop Phantom is really out there and a bit tough to follow but I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on checking out Serial Experiment Lain when I can.

Know any good ones that are close to Naruto and Hunter X Hunter? I love the Animes where you have all these characters with their own fighting abilities, with fun characters, and funny moments with badass fighting.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#67 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:32 am

Watched a few episodes of Mushishi, nice story and good animation but it's a little to slow for my liking. Interesting concept that probably reads better as a magna then as an anime.

Watched a few episodes of Corpse Princess because Netflix suckered me into it and I'm a sucker for anything dead/Zombie etc and it's meh.

Watched a few episodes of Nabari no ou and another one with an interesting concept but with a weak main character.

Starting Gurren Lagann right now, just finished the first episode. Have Hunter x Hunter and Baccano probably on deck.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:34 am

knicksfan5494 wrote:Know any good ones that are close to Naruto and Hunter X Hunter? I love the Animes where you have all these characters with their own fighting abilities, with fun characters, and funny moments with badass fighting.

Soul Eater is good, awesome animation.
Full Metal Alchemist is great.
Something short and sweet is High School of the dead. Awesome story, graphics and it's a major showcase of how much Japanese love boobs.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#69 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 2:34 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Watched a few episodes of Mushishi, nice story and good animation but it's a little to slow for my liking. Interesting concept that probably reads better as a magna then as an anime.

Watched a few episodes of Corpse Princess because Netflix suckered me into it and I'm a sucker for anything dead/Zombie etc and it's meh.

Watched a few episodes of Nabari no ou and another one with an interesting concept but with a weak main character.

Starting Gurren Lagann right now, just finished the first episode. Have Hunter x Hunter and Baccano probably on deck.

As the biggest Hunter X Hunter fan evar, you really gotta get past episode 4-ish. The characters, especially the main character, are truly magical works of art.
El C3M0
Junior
And1: 0

Post#70 » by El C3M0 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:07 am

This board could even make me an anime fan, wow :D I watched the first episodes of One Piece and Death Note, first 4 episodes of Samurai Champloo, which I think I will continue to watch. Thank you Manhattan and other guys for suggestions, I will keep checking here.
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#71 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:10 am

I'm just curious -- not trying to start anything -- but what race/nationality are you guys that watch Anime? Just wanna smash the stereotype that it's only for Asian people.
Linguistik
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#72 » by Linguistik » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:11 am

Linguistik wrote:Here are some of my recommendations:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJGKmwA7T40&feature=related[/youtube]

One Outs - This is a baseball anime, but don't let that put you off. It's really not about baseball at all. The premise is that there's a new star pitcher named Toua, except that he has no pitching skills. He only knows 3 pitches, a regular fastball, a high fastball, and a low fastball. That's all he knows. However, he keeps his team winning. Why? Simply because he is an incredibly gifted mind-reader. He can tell what the opposing batter is thinking by just looking at their body language. Also, he cheats, he has so many dirty tricks up his sleeve it's not even funny. The best part is not even about the games, it's about his gambles with the owner of the team. He has a special contract in which the owner will only pay him 50,000 yen for every strike-out. BUT, for every run Toua gives up, he has to pay 500,000 Yen to the owner. It's really a gambling anime, but disguised in baseball. If you like Death Note, then you'll like this. Just imagine Light Yagami being a baseball player.

Just to re-iterate my post again....One Outs....definitely something to check out.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#73 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:12 am

El C3M0 wrote:This board could even make me an anime fan, wow :D I watched the first episodes of One Piece and Death Note, first 4 episodes of Samurai Champloo, which I think I will continue to watch. Thank you Manhattan and other guys for suggestions, I will keep checking here.

With One Piece...it doesn't hit a pure stride until you meet the Fishman Pirates which is after a couple of arcs. It's ABSOLUTELY worth watching through the beginning which is innocent and more comedic to get to the goods. In the manga, a piece of plot just leaked that the writer (Oda?) foreshadowed 500 chapters earlier...we're talking like a decade ago, he knew where this was going to this day.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Linguistik
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#74 » by Linguistik » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:13 am

knicksfan5494 wrote:I'm just curious -- not trying to start anything -- but what race/nationality are you guys that watch Anime? Just wanna smash the stereotype that it's only for Asian people.

From what I know....all kinds of people watches anime. Go to Hip-Hop forums...there's usually a forum dedicated Naruto or Bleach. Black, White, Asian, Mexican, Italian....
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#75 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:18 am

knicksfan5494 wrote:
j4remi wrote:P.S. Big O was really great to me. Boogiepop Phantom is really out there and a bit tough to follow but I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on checking out Serial Experiment Lain when I can.

Know any good ones that are close to Naruto and Hunter X Hunter? I love the Animes where you have all these characters with their own fighting abilities, with fun characters, and funny moments with badass fighting.

Don't put my name to this because I haven't actually checked it out...But Flame of Recca I believe it is, supposedly laid the blueprint for Hunter X Hunter. I read the first few chapters but couldn't get into the art work and didn't let the plot really move forward...I saw no relation personally.

As for characters with their own fighting abilities, badass fighting and funny moments...Tenjou Tenge is pretty dope but also very adult oriented. For something with a really similar flavor, be on the look out for Toriko which is finally getting an anime. It's a slow starter, but it's really good once it gets going despite a kind of crazy plot line. They're doing a crossover episode with One Piece to introduce it!

There are a nice handful of really great manga out there with a lot of characters with different fighting styles and abilities that involve great fights. I don't know if they have anime to go with 'em though. Veritas was confusing and a bit convoluted but had the GOAT protagonist in any manga ever in my book. The story ends at a time skip and it's up in the air whether they'll ever finish it...but it literally has my favorite lead character and side characters ever.

Worst is more realistic with fist fights and a school surrounding but a ton of awesome characters and great fight scenes.

Two Mangas that I think SHOULD get anime eventually are Breaker and Gamaran. Breaker has all kinds of sick characters with their own styles and schools. Gamaran only has a few main characters but they each have their own sword techniques and fight beast opposition.

Edit: Keep going with Hunter X Hunter...it gets intense and doesn't let up. The only thing is the final arc which hopefully didn't make it in the anime (I read a lot more than I watch) really lost it's way.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:19 am

Linguistik wrote:Just to re-iterate my post again....One Outs....definitely something to check out.

I know you say don't let it turn you off, but being a sports anime really does turn me off, like completely. I never had any interest in any of them.

As far as people who watch Anime go, ever since Adult Swim came on whenever the hell that was it became insanely popular for some. Even networks like SyFy etc tried to find some shows. Anime is for everyone really, not limited.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#77 » by EchelonNYK » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:23 am

Hellsing. Thread.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:24 am

El C3M0 wrote:This board could even make me an anime fan, wow :D I watched the first episodes of One Piece and Death Note, first 4 episodes of Samurai Champloo, which I think I will continue to watch. Thank you Manhattan and other guys for suggestions, I will keep checking here.

No problem. Not even to go into a rant about how Animes are different from Cartoons rant, but animes do have a lot of good story in them and are able to pull off a wider range of stories. Best thing is usually animes are short and sweet, don't let themselves start to suck.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#79 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:25 am

echelonNYK wrote:Hellsing. Thread.

Wow, I totally forgot this and can't believe it got this far without Hellsing. I think it's slightly overrated...but the cult following for it is deserved.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Subway Token
RealGM

Post#80 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:26 am

Yeah j4remi, I'm going to stay with Hunter X Hunter. Like I said earlier I read the manga a good 5-6 years ago and now I'm watching the Anime. You really don't get Gon's innocence from the manga like you do the anime. It's amazing. What a great cast. One of the best and most underrated animes with one of the best set of characters.

Return to New York Knicks