ImageImageImageImageImage

Fields issue

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,083

Re: Fields issue 

Post#21 » by GONYK » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:36 pm

seren wrote:
GONYK wrote:
seren wrote:That is the thing though. Fields, in a bad offensive year, is making 47 percent of his shots. That is the highest percentage among all our guards/small forwards with the exception of Novak. Is he shooting a great percentage from the three? No. Miserable 25.9 percent. But compare it to JR Smith at 29.7 percent, Iman at 30.7 percent, Melo at 31 percent and Davis at 24.6 percent, it does not look that terrible.

So what is the difference? He simply doesn't take threes anymore. Are we better off someone chucking at around 30 percent instead of not chucking? Maybe. But with all the talk about JR creating for himself, most of the shots JR is "creating" is contested threes. Dude is taking 5 threes a game, while going to the line 1.7 times a game. Compared to Fields' 2.3 times.

Honestly, if this is all about management politics, I hate it. It sucks. Hopefully it doesn't bite us from the arse like the Indiana game. Which Woodson said he learned from and would give more time to Fields. Which did not happen.

I don't think we need a SG who can only score like a forward on the floor when we have an SG who can score like an SG.

Who? I presume you don't mean JR.

I do. We lose nothing on D with JR, and gain a player who can create his own shot. Even if he doesn't convert, the defense still respects him.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#22 » by Johnny Hoops » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:36 pm

seren wrote:
GONYK wrote:
seren wrote:That is the thing though. Fields, in a bad offensive year, is making 47 percent of his shots. That is the highest percentage among all our guards/small forwards with the exception of Novak. Is he shooting a great percentage from the three? No. Miserable 25.9 percent. But compare it to JR Smith at 29.7 percent, Iman at 30.7 percent, Melo at 31 percent and Davis at 24.6 percent, it does not look that terrible.

So what is the difference? He simply doesn't take threes anymore. Are we better off someone chucking at around 30 percent instead of not chucking? Maybe. But with all the talk about JR creating for himself, most of the shots JR is "creating" is contested threes. Dude is taking 5 threes a game, while going to the line 1.7 times a game. Compared to Fields' 2.3 times.

Honestly, if this is all about management politics, I hate it. It sucks. Hopefully it doesn't bite us from the arse like the Indiana game. Which Woodson said he learned from and would give more time to Fields. Which did not happen.

I don't think we need a SG who can only score like a forward on the floor when we have an SG who can score like an SG.

Tyson Chandler leads the NBA in FG % -- are you saying he can shoot?

Landry's % is high because he gets all his buckets at the rim.

I like the kid -- shot just isn't good right now -- needs to get it fixed.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#23 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:39 pm

Handling the ball would cut into PG's minutes.

We saw multiple times, like last night and before, where the squad on the floor was something like Davis/Iman/JR/Novak/Chandler (or Jeffries/Jorts). To me this is completely weird. If you envision Fields only as a SF, why not use him as such?

I guess it is all coincidence that we run up the score fast when Fields is on the floor and go down big when he is off.

Was it all a coincidence that we came back from 9 down when he got in? Was it all a coincidence that we went down by 9 (from being up 5) when he was out? Was it all a coincidence that this is happening in most nights but it didn't hurt as much because we usually had comfortable enough leads? It is almost like Fields had to clean up the ch*t on a nightly basis.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#24 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:39 pm

JR's sample size has also been a lot smaller. Not really fair to compare his stats to Fields who has been with the team from day one of season...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Nono
Banned User
And1: 65

Post#25 » by Nono » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:40 pm

Both are really terrible. Shooting guards that can't shoot are worth really little at the end of the day. Fields knows his limitations though. He won't try to do crazy shots time and time again. With JR, it's like half of his shots are turnovers. I feel he is overrated on defense too. Hopefully he won't exercise his player option next year, but I can't see any team that will want to pay $2.5m for an off the bench chucker.
seren
RealGM

Post#26 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:40 pm

GONYK wrote:
seren wrote:
GONYK wrote:I don't think we need a SG who can only score like a forward on the floor when we have an SG who can score like an SG.

I do. We lose nothing on D with JR, and gain a player who can create his own shot. Even if he doesn't convert, the defense still respects him.

No matter how much he is respected, he is sucking so far at his role. Fields almost became like a part of cleanup squad.
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#27 » by bklynstoops » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:41 pm

GONYK wrote:

except he's having a terrible time scoring this year as well. Maybe playing in China wore him out, but he's erratic--more bad than good so far. I don't mind Woodson playing whoever is playing better on any given night.
seren
RealGM

Post#28 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:41 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:JR's sample size has also been a lot smaller. Not really fair to compare his stats to Fields who has been with the team from day one of season...

Compare their post JR stats or even post Woodson stats. Still the percentages are on Fields' side. Including the fact that JR squads blow up leads.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,215

Post#29 » by god shammgod » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:41 pm

Nono wrote:Both are really terrible. Shooting guards that can't shoot are worth really little at the end of the day. Fields knows his limitations though. He won't try to do crazy shots time and time again. With JR, it's like half of his shots are turnovers. I feel he is overrated on defense too. Hopefully he won't exercise his player option next year, but I can't see any team that will want to pay $2.5m for an off the bench chucker.

everyone is so short sighted on this site. we should only be so lucky that he picks up that option.
21shumpst
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#30 » by 21shumpst » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:42 pm

Landry has these stretches in games where he totally loses focus and tries to do too much. This usually happens later in the game and totally negates all the positives that he displays at the start of games. Its always some idiotic turnover when he's "leading" a break or a stupid alley oop pass which is as broken as his shot. Then he commits a wtf foul in the other end to compound his stupidity on offense. Next play he'll throw up a brick or get fouled and miss both his FT's. The more I write this post, the more I'm getting pissed off. I think I might hate Landry Fields... as a player. Seems like a nice guy though.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#31 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:43 pm

Nono wrote:Both are really terrible. Shooting guards that can't shoot are worth really little at the end of the day. Fields knows his limitations though. He won't try to do crazy shots time and time again. With JR, it's like half of his shots are turnovers. I feel he is overrated on defense too. Hopefully he won't exercise his player option next year, but I can't see any team that will want to pay $2.5m for an off the bench chucker.

JR is a streaky shooter. Right now he is shooting below his career average which is right around 36-37 from 3 point range. I don't know about you but 36% from my six man is not bad. I'll take that any day of the week. Plus when he is hot he can take over games...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
21shumpst
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by 21shumpst » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:43 pm

god shammgod wrote:

everyone is so short sighted on this site. we should only be so lucky that he picks up that option.

^^^
This
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#33 » by bklynstoops » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:44 pm

god shammgod wrote:

barring some freak injury, that would be a bargain.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#34 » by kane » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:47 pm

JR is a better defender and ball handler then fields he can also create his own shots and if he gets hot he can go lights out and get you 20+ off the bench
los3180
Sophomore

Post#35 » by los3180 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm with Wilbon....JR is crazy he will chuck it every opportunity he has! I rather have a smart player who knows how to move the ball around and live with taking a good shot over a prayer 3 from JR. Fields and Shump are a sweet 2 n 3 if melo is at the 4. and I HATTTTEEEEEE SEEING smith Dribble
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#36 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:47 pm

Ohh and btw just for the record I want Shumpert to be the starting 2 for next season and hopefully well beyond. JR is what he is. You ride him when he is hot, and try not to go crazy watching him chuck. For those who were not sure now you see why he is a bench player. What has pleasantly surprised me about him is his defense and rebounding are much better than I thought...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
seren
RealGM

Post#37 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:48 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:Answer is simple....

- JR is NOT afraid to take big shots
- JR can play great on-ball defense
- JR can create shots (good or bad) :D

- Landry scared as kitten on freeway
- Landry afraid to shoot

I think Landry works on that jump shot and comes out smokin next year but right now his jump shot is BROKE'DDDDD :-?

Hmm. Several recent games: Indiana. Fields starts red hot. Hits 5 of 8. 2 for 3 from three point line. Goes to bench in the third quarter with the lead. Team blows a 17 point lead. JR Smith, unafraid of taking big shots, go 2 for 10. We lose.

Yesterday. Fields is playing all right. He misses a three in the third. Goes to bench 5 minutes into third with a 5 point lead. Comes back in 5 minutes left on the clock with the team down 9 points. Helps clean up the mess.

Fields is 47 percent this year. JR simply chucks.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#38 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:50 pm

los3180 wrote:I'm with Wilbon....JR is crazy he will chuck it every opportunity he has! I rather have a smart player who knows how to move the ball around and live with taking a good shot over a prayer 3 from JR. Fields and Shump are a sweet 2 n 3 if melo is at the 4. and I HATTTTEEEEEE SEEING smith Dribble

Well you need a balance ideally. Every good team IMO needs a guy who is an x-factor offensively off the bench.

Right now we don't have a lot of guys who can create their own shots. Baron has not given us much of that as he struggles with injuries. We don't have Lin and we don't have Amar'e. JR's green light is gigantic.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
seren
RealGM

Post#39 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:50 pm

god shammgod wrote:

The shortsigtness comes from the fact that Fields is an RFA who can be retained next year. We need him over the long term. JR is a rental and he is out next year unless he continues chucking. Maybe that is why we are playing him.
seren
RealGM

Post#40 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:51 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
los3180 wrote:I'm with Wilbon....JR is crazy he will chuck it every opportunity he has! I rather have a smart player who knows how to move the ball around and live with taking a good shot over a prayer 3 from JR. Fields and Shump are a sweet 2 n 3 if melo is at the 4. and I HATTTTEEEEEE SEEING smith Dribble

Well you need a balance ideally. Every good team IMO needs a guy who is an x-factor offensively off the bench.

Right now we don't have a lot of guys who can create their own shots. Baron has not given us much of that as he struggles with injuries. We don't have Lin and we don't have Amar'e. JR's green light is gigantic.

The X factor comes in. You ride him when he is hot and bench him when not. That is how each and every X factor play in the league. You don't give him 30+ minutes when he is taking fadeaway threes and costing you the lead.

Again. Nobody addressed the fact that we lost leads when Fields is on the bench. This happened multiple times. It cost us two games in Atlanta and Indiana. It could have cost us a game last night.

Return to New York Knicks