ImageImageImageImageImage

One thing everyone's forgetting about an Amare off the bench

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KingzAndQueenz
Sixth Man
And1: 227

One thing everyone's forgetting about an Amare off the bench 

Post#1 » by KingzAndQueenz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Knicks are against Miami.
Game 7 of the ECF.
Game's tied at 82-82 with 4 minutes left in the quarter.

You're really going to keep Amar'e on the bench? A man capable of such scoring ability (especially with our excellent PGs) is going to sit on the bench in the final 4 minutes?

Doesn't work. Whether you believe Amar'e and Melo can gel or not doesn't matter. These two have to play together and work together to win (and they will cause I believe in this team and I know Amar'e does too).
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Re: One thing everyone's forgetting about an Amare off the b 

Post#2 » by frogfood » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Are we posting our fantasies here? I have one with Scarlett Johansson if yall willing to hear me out.
KingzAndQueenz
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by KingzAndQueenz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm

frogfood wrote:Are we posting our fantasies here? I have one with Scarlett Johansson if yall willing to hear me out.

I'm just playing a scenario that can happen in any game. Congrats on missing the point.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#4 » by AdonisDeMarion » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm

KingzAndQueenz wrote:
frogfood wrote:Are we posting our fantasies here? I have one with Scarlett Johansson if yall willing to hear me out.

I'm just playing a scenario that can happen in any game. Congrats on missing the point.

Your point was well taken but these two can't play together. Melo is better playing the 4 next to Chandler opposed to playing the 3 with Stoudemire in the line up. He needs to be traded, but who will take him
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#5 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

AdonisDeMarion wrote:
KingzAndQueenz wrote:

Your point was well taken but these two can't play together. Melo is better playing the 4 next to Chandler opposed to playing the 3 with Stoudemire in the line up. He needs to be traded, but who will take him

As long as Amar'e can hit the mid-range jumper, which he CAN do at good percentages, then it can most definitely work.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#6 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm not sure I want to rely on Amare to get a crucial stop and rebound in that situation.

Does his offense outweigh that? I dunno... is Melo gonna be posting up in that situation? If so, does Amare bring that much to the table as a perimeter spot-up shooter?
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#7 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
As long as Amar'e can hit the mid-range jumper, which he CAN do at good percentages, then it can most definitely work.

The best justification for keeping Amare on the floor would be that he basically allows us to call a mid-play audible on a Melo post up. E.g. if a team is fronting Melo too hard, we can go into a p/r with Amare. If we're using him as a spot up shooter who plays lousy defense, why not just have Novak?
suicidedeuce
And1: 0

Post#8 » by suicidedeuce » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:56 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:I'm not sure I want to rely on Amare to get a crucial stop and rebound in that situation.

Knicks had a very good record with Woodson-Melo-Stat.

The start to this season is suggesting that maybe that wasn't a fluke.

We're call giving credit for Melo genuinely trying to change-up his game.

Stands to reason we should at least give Stat a chance to show he can make the same adjustments.

Isn't that reasonable?
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#9 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:59 pm

suicidedeuce wrote:
ORANGEandBLUE wrote:I'm not sure I want to rely on Amare to get a crucial stop and rebound in that situation.

Stands to reason we should at least give Stat a chance to show he can make the same adjustments.

Isn't that reasonable?

Yeah but Amare was awful on the boards against Miami in the playoffs, so I'm a little skeptical. Of course I'm willing to try it out and see how it works though.
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#10 » by blumatic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 pm

All Im saying is, the way Woody has reached JR and made him such an indispensable, the way he has reached Melo and have him playing both sides on the floor.........I cant see why Amare cannot be reached as well.

We all had serious questions pertaining to Felton, Melo, JR, and to an extent Mike Woodson. Its not the fact that we're 6-0. Its how we're playing.

If Amare were playing and Melo was out for 2 months the issue would be if Melo would mess things up. Would Melo buy in to Woodson philosophy?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#11 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 pm

blumatic wrote:All Im saying is, the way Woody has reached JR and made him such an indispensable, the way he has reached Melo and have him playing both sides on the floor.........I cant see why Amare cannot be reached as well.

We all had serious questions pertaining to Felton, Melo, JR, and to an extent Mike Woodson. Its not the fact that we're 6-0. Its how we're playing.

If Amare were playing and Melo was out for 2 months the issue would be if Melo would mess things up. Would Melo buy in to Woodson philosophy?

Very good point.
gethigh
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#12 » by gethigh » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Amare could be a weapon if Woodson wanted to make Offense/Defense substitutions.

Use amare for Offensive possession, then put Camby in on defense.
falcindor
General Manager
And1: 144

Post#13 » by falcindor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Amare is not coming off the bench. If anything they will showcase for trade. No way they make him a 20mil paperweight and expect full value in a trade later. Thats just stupid. Amare comes back and after 2 weeks traded with Brewer to the Charlotte Bobcats who can use all the help they can get. Knicks get Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas, and Charlotte's #1 pick
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#14 » by blumatic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:

Isn't that reasonable?

Yeah but Amare was awful on the boards against Miami in the playoffs, so I'm a little skeptical. Of course I'm willing to try it out and see how it works though.

JR was a joke along with Amare last playoffs. JR was god-awful. I was in shock how a player with his talent would make so many mistakes and shoot so poorly.

Today JR has been so awesome, just Mr. Reliable.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#15 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:09 pm

falcindor wrote:Amare is not coming off the bench. If anything they will showcase for trade. No way they make him a 20mil paperweight and expect full value in a trade later. Thats just stupid. Amare comes back and after 2 weeks traded with Brewer to the Charlotte Bobcats who can use all the help they can get. Knicks get Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas, and Charlotte's #1 pick

Charlotte says no.
falcindor
General Manager
And1: 144

Post#16 » by falcindor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Charlotte cant net a top tier free agent. Unless they pay a middle of road player no way they get a max worthy player. Say what you want about Amare meshing with Melo. But alone hes a beast. He and Melo play too similarly and get in easy others way. But as an acquisition Charlotte cant do much better than that. Charlotte puts a top 4 protection on the pick thats all.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#17 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:16 pm

falcindor wrote:Charlotte cant net a top tier free agent. Unless they pay a middle of road player no way they get a max worthy player. Say what you want about Amare meshing with Melo. But alone hes a beast. He and Melo play too similarly and get in easy others way. But as an acquisition Charlotte cant do much better than that. Charlotte puts a top 4 protection on the pick thats all.

MJ isn't gonna get himself on the books for a completely non-insured contract. GMs can't make a move without the approval of ownership.

Also, the #1 would have to be lottery protected for them to even consider making the trade.

Also, let's see how they play when healthy/with a normal practice schedule. I do not think they clash as much as others do.

Return to New York Knicks