ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo playing All-NBA quality D

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#21 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:13 pm

frogfood wrote:
j4remi wrote:
HawthorneWingo wrote:While I'm impressed with Melo's defense as well, let me offer the other side of this argument. Melo, who is a 9 year veteran, All-Star and one of the stars of the NBA's biggest stars, is NOW just starting to play defense? I mean, now that we know he CAN play defense, wtf took him so long to START playing defense?

All that said, I am glad that he has decided to play defense. I guess is doesn't hurt to have three other players on the team who have won NBA rings.

To answer in short...Accountability.

I would like you to expand on that if possible.

No problem...For the first 9 years of his career, his coaches were more focused on the offensive end with his game. They gave him lenience on defense based on the "saves his energy for scoring" theory (Karl) and minimized the role of defense. Midway through last year, he got his first taste of a coach who puts defense first and he immediately responded with more vigor on that end. In the Orlando game where he started to slack, Woodson screamed at him repeatedly until they talked at the sideline and he stepped it up...Woodson makes him accountable for his defensive play to such an extent that he MUST play quality D.

It's more than just the coach, mind you. He is surrounded by players who are busting it on D and for him to slack would be a slap in the face to those guys. He doesn't have Amare doing the same or PG's that are getting beat off the dribble every play. He wants to be a leader, but his play has to reflect it and I think being surrounded by vets like Sheed, Kidd and Tyson (all having rings and focused on D) has humbled him even while he is the focal point of the Knicks success.

He's being held accountable by the coach, his players and the fans/media as well at this point. He's risen to the task really well thus far besides some mental lapses.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#22 » by frogfood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm

That's true though I do feel playing defense shouldn't be something that had to be ingrained in you by your 9th season at the behest of 3 champion players. Better now then never though. One thing I do worry is the team's composure. Even our champion vets, Sheed and Tyson can go off the rails to the point where it's obviously downhill form that point for their play and the team's.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#23 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:44 pm

frogfood wrote:That's true though I do feel playing defense shouldn't be something that had to be ingrained in you by your 9th season at the behest of 3 champion players. Better now then never though. One thing I do worry is the team's composure. Even our champion vets, Sheed and Tyson can go off the rails to the point where it's obviously downhill form that point for their play and the team's.

Meh, I wouldn't sweat it. The Orlando game, Spurs game and even the fourth of that Memphis game showed a team that can get itself back on track mentally to fight. Against Memphis they just ran out of gas and couldn't stop the post assault for an entire fourth quarter. Kidd and Felton have both proven to be timely playmakers when this squad needs it.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#24 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Hes playing good D. Not All NBA D. C'mon now.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#25 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Yeah, "All NBA" defense is usually reputation based.

Melo is playing good defense though.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#26 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:21 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:Hes playing good D. Not All NBA D. C'mon now.

At the end of the season, if we can say that Melo played very good defense, and Amar'e played just good defense, we're going to have a really good season to look back on. We don't need Melo to make all NBA defensive team for us to be successful.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
KikupKnik
Rookie
And1: 246

Post#27 » by KikupKnik » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27 am

Melo just needs to keep up the effort and play a BALANCED game if anything.Nobodies asking him to be scotty pippen
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#28 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 am

frogfood wrote:His videos are pretty good. I can see people here getting upset easily. FWIW he seems like a Westbrook hater but that's kind of justified.

Not sure how you can disagree with any of his points in that video.

It's easy to disagree actually. The Knicks are playing great defense. Period. That guy is just looking for attention.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#29 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:Hes playing good D. Not All NBA D. C'mon now.

Ehh its so subjective anyway and its way too early. Yeah maybe im exagerrating but the point is he is playing great D and IMO he is inspiring his teammates.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#30 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:02 am

Ignitowsky wrote:
frogfood wrote:His videos are pretty good. I can see people here getting upset easily. FWIW he seems like a Westbrook hater but that's kind of justified.

Not sure how you can disagree with any of his points in that video.

It's easy to disagree actually. The Knicks are playing great defense. Period. That guy is just looking for attention.

He made some interesting points but its clear he has biases against certain players that cloud his objectivity. Also in the end his arguments as to why Knicks wont end up in top ten D are weak. They are too based off one game against a team that plays a style that is not common in 2012 nba.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Drun53
Sixth Man
And1: 337

Post#31 » by Drun53 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 am

I think this goes to show that defense can really just be a mentality thing. Offense is obviously about skill, but with defense, as long as you're motivated, lots can be possible.

Everyone has more adrenaline offensively because it's more fun. That's just how it is. But now that the expectations are so much higher, and Woody's philosophy has really taken shape, everyone is held accountable and is playing at their highest efforts. J.R. Smith has also been good defensively this year.

Having veteran leadership also helps. I'm not sure Kidd is explicitly teaching people defense, but his smart, savvy play defensively sure seems to be rubbing off (ha, ha).

It's a combination of personnel, accountability, and coaching - all leading to an increased mentality to play defense. I have hope that Amar'e will be able to play defense when he returns.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#32 » by MrProb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 am

Huge Melo fan here.

TBH, i still doubt him (but just a little bit) on his D, i dont know how many times i've heard about his "commitment on D" not that i havent seen a flash of his elite level defense which we usually see when he plays on a very high anticipated game on national TV or against another superstar of the opposing team.

If he could do it all year long that is when i will never have any doubt on him ever again.

P.S. not hating on him but im been wishing him to get a ring or at least to the Final once in his career, so much that sometimes i hate his slacking D and doubting his determination from time to time.

Return to New York Knicks