ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: 27 Killed, 18 elementary school students shot dead CON

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Re: OT: 27 Killed, 18 elementary school students shot dead C 

Post#601 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:07 am

I guess most of you saw Syracuse Univ coach Jim Boeheim speak out on The Newtown massacre. Here's Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey who took advantage of this infrequent opportunity of being in front of a large group of reporters to say this:

http://youtu.be/cfO2I7k9xtA

"Duh Winning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Free Palestine
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#602 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:

It's one freaking simple sentence. You're telling me that you can't figure our it's meaning? That's pretty pathetic.

It's not "ambiguous" and they meant what they wrote. It's only ambiguous if you want to distort its meaning in order to support your agenda. You're obfuscating. As for "our decision," that's just as easy as figuring out what the meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

"Duh Winning"

No, it is ambiguous. Many statutes include a statement of policy before a statement of a right/prohibition. That does not mean courts will only apply the statute where doing so furthers the stated policy. Text trumps purpose. The fact that that "the right to keep and bear arms" is its own sentence, without any qualification like "but only where such right is consistent with the stated policy" suggests that the first clause is not a limitation. But then again, the first clause has to mean something, so one cannot ignore it altogether. Given that the the first and second clauses conflict, it is ambiguous.
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#603 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Sweeney Todd almost prevented all of this....

“I wish I would have killed him then. Or he should have killed himself a long time ago. He would have saved us all the trouble,” Skuba remarked. “I should have slit and stabbed him by accident."

http://www.inquisitr.com/447213/adam-la ... mfortable/
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#604 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:32 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
HawthorneWingo wrote:

It's one freaking simple sentence. You're telling me that you can't figure our it's meaning? That's pretty pathetic.

It's not "ambiguous" and they meant what they wrote. It's only ambiguous if you want to distort its meaning in order to support your agenda. You're obfuscating. As for "our decision," that's just as easy as figuring out what the meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

"Duh Winning"

No, it is ambiguous. Many statutes include a statement of policy before a statement of a right/prohibition. That does not mean courts will only apply the statute where doing so furthers the stated policy. Text trumps purpose. The fact that that "the right to keep and bear arms" is its own sentence, without any qualification like "but only where such right is consistent with the stated policy" suggests that the first clause is not a limitation. But then again, the first clause has to mean something, so one cannot ignore it altogether. Given that the the first and second clauses conflict, it is ambiguous.

LOL. But it's not it's own sentence. Read the text.
Free Palestine
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#605 » by cgmw » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:39 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:LOL. But it's not it's own sentence. Read the text.

If it's not ambiguous, how do you explain that 90% of the actual text of all Supreme Court gun control decisions are comprised of an analysis breaking down the possible historical intent of those words?

The gun control debate has always been framed as a fight between people who focus on the first clause (gun control advocates) vs. people who focus on the second (gun advocates). The existence of an ambiguity is the basis for the entire Constitutional controversy. If there were no ambiguity, there'd be no controversy. There either would or wouldn't be gun control depending on which side won.

What you're saying is that *subjectively* you personally see no ambiguity. And gun control advocates traditionally agree with you. Unfortunately, the NRA also *subjectively* thinks there is no ambiguity. Because two sides each subjectively view a sentence in different ways, that means there is an *objective* ambiguity.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#606 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:[
LOL. But it's not it's own sentence. Read the text.

Yeah, you're right, there's only a comma between the two clauses. The trouble with assesing the literal meaning here is that its such an uncommon formulation, i.e. x being y, therefore z.

Even if you put the emphasis on the first clause, it's still ambiguous. What exactly is a well-regulated militia? Does any organized group of citizens (e.g. George Zimmerman's neighboorhood watch group) who purchase guns through a well-regulated process constitute a well-regulated militia? Does "security of a free state" only mean security from an oppressive government, or does it also include security from criminals, i.e. the self-defense rationale?

I wouldn't be surprised if the framers considered a formulation that would more clearly subordinate the second clause to the first, such as "the right to keep and bear arms shall be protected to the extent necessarily for well-regulated militias to promote the security of a free state." They may have rejected something like this because they were divided and wanted to punt the issue to future generations.
johnnywishbone
General Manager
And1: 1,361

Post#607 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:"So let's agree to disagree, but I'm right"?

"Duh Winning"

I don't think you understand my point. What I'm saying is that it's ambiguous so let's just make our own decision today about what makes sense. And for me giving people who live in suburbia assault weapons makes no sense.

Each side can argue that their interpretation is right. You might think you are 100% correct but so do they. So let's just say OK we can't go off what they wrote because there is no consensus.

Let's stop reading tea leaves and just use our own brains and experiences.
Play time is over.
boateng
Banned User
And1: 245

Post#608 » by boateng » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Report released and its all over the news...
Sickening stuff to see and read

We need to stop making the shooter famous. I don't even know why they released the report tbh. Just makes it harder for those 26 families.
mrcalzone
Veteran
And1: 2,910

Post#609 » by mrcalzone » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:14 pm

You are 11 months late.
boateng
Banned User

Post#610 » by boateng » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:32 pm

mrcalzone wrote:You are 11 months late.

I'm talking about the report that was released today

how does that make me 11 months late?!?
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#611 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Wtf r u talking about
boateng
Banned User

Post#612 » by boateng » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 am

the report
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#613 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:Wtf r u talking about

Rookies and ballboys. :roll: Must I do everything?

He's talking about this report (click the Daily News link and scroll to the bottom to see the actual Sedensky report):

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1528626

Inside Adam Lanza's lair: Newtown shooter plotted own death, obsessed with Columbine shooting, new report details

Haunting photos released Monday reveal the Bushmaster rifle used at Sandy Hook Elementary School as well as Adam Lanza's secret arsenal found among other disturbing items in his home. In a report by Stephen Sedensky, the Connecticut attorney who's probing the December 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, it is revealed that Lanza plotted out the killings, even his own death within the massacre, and was obsessed with mass shootings, specifically the one that occurred in Colorado in 1999. But his motives still remain a mystery.

Comments (14)
BY EDGAR SANDOVAL AND CORKY SIEMASZKO / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2013, 4:10 PM
UPDATED: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2013, 6:49 PM

All of the 5.56 mm shell casings recovered at Sandy Hook Elementary school were found to have been fired from this Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle which was found in a classroom after the shooting spree.

A Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle recovered from a Sandy Hook Elementary School classroom are among the newly released photos taken after Adam Lanza's horrific killing spree.

A look inside the December 14 crime scene that left 26 people dead, the majority being children, shows the arsenal of weapons used that tragic day as well as the physical damage to the Newtown, Conn. school.

The haunting photos released Monday by Connecticut's lead attorney probing last year's slaughter further shows the killer's secret possessions which even his own mother was forbidden to see.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2liWG2Oku
Free Palestine
H_20
RealGM
And1: 771

Post#614 » by H_20 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 am

boateng wrote:the report

Here is the article.

Sandy Hook Report Offers Grim Details of Adam Lanza's Bedroom
http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandy-hook-rep ... d=21009111
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#615 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 am

H_20 wrote:

It will help if you were to post an article.

I just did.

You're welcome boateng. What does boateng mean anyhow?
Free Palestine
boateng
Banned User

Post#616 » by boateng » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am

HawthorneWingo wrote:
H_20 wrote:

It will help if you were to post an article.

I just did.

You're welcome boateng. What does boateng mean anyhow?

i didn't ask for the report

its my surname
kfig5
Bench Warmer
And1: 67

Post#617 » by kfig5 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 am

Being that I'm not too far from there, and a parent as well, seeing this post pop back up to Page 1 brought back that same sick feeling I had when I first heard the news.

Return to New York Knicks