ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#161 » by Shemy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 am

StutterStep wrote:Of all you people anticipating the release of Django Unchained, how many of you saw Rosewood by John Singleton?

Seriously, until you support Black filmmakers' take on Slavery, Racism and issues that affect us directly, KINDLY STFU when a Black wo/man states how they feel when a person of another race tries to tell our story for us.

That doesn't stop spike and the way he has depicted Italians in his movies
"They scared now"
NYPDinformant
Junior
And1: 25

Post#162 » by NYPDinformant » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 am

I now know better than to venture into threads like this in a basketball forum. Never again.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#163 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 am

duetta wrote:http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/movies/quentin-tarantinos-django-unchained-stars-jamie-foxx.html

Now read the review of Rosewood, which is based on a TRUE STORY and also done in cowboy/western style.

If this NYTimes review don't highlight the bias against filmmakers telling their story then I don't know what to tell readers/posters/moviegoers...

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review? ... A961958260
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,386

Post#164 » by Vertical Limit » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:03 am

Please... Tarantino has always been uncensored in all his movies, he's pretty much earned the right to say what ever curse word he wants. Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies and the "Dead **** Storage" part he did in Pulp Fiction was hilarious.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#165 » by RHODEY » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 am

Vertical Limit wrote:The "Dead **** Storage" part he did in Pulp Fiction was hilarious.

:noway:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,212

Post#166 » by Capn'O » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am

[quote="regGQ"
also Spike is just mad he didn't think to make it first[/quote]

Polar opposite. Spike makes movies that emphasizes the positive side of the human spirit triumphing over the flaws... QT focuses on the destructive. Spike's definitely mad that his race and subject matter have been taken on this way... but not a movie he would have made.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#167 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:01 am

Greeks must be pissed about clash of the titans.

But seriously, I don't need to watch a black filmakers movie first before I can criticize someone for acting a fool. Qt is not writing a freaking history book. Its a work of fiction. You might call me another ignorant white guy, but im not. Im just an ignorant black guy.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#168 » by cgmw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:28 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Greeks must be pissed about clash of the titans.

But seriously, I don't need to watch a black filmakers movie first before I can criticize someone for acting a fool. Qt is not writing a freaking history book. Its a work of fiction. You might call me another ignorant white guy, but im not. Im just an ignorant black guy.

I'm not Greek, but I've been told I can pass. So speaking on behalf of all Greek people, if Greek-Americans had been through slavery as recently as 140 years ago, I could see an elder statesman or two getting his backlava in a bunch over a light-hearted sensationalized slavery pic.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#169 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 am

cgmw wrote:

I'm not Greek, but I've been told I can pass. So speaking on behalf of all Greek people, if Greek-Americans had been through slavery as recently as 140 years ago, I could see an elder statesman or two getting his backlava in a bunch over a light-hearted sensationalized slavery pic.

The thing about slavery and people saying it's over...get over it, etc...is that not only was it just 147 years ago (end of Civil War) -- Black people were continually overtly discriminated against until (approximately) 1964, with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. But in between this period: lynchings, separate but equal, and countless ways to treat us as non-humans, non-citizens, etc...

Now since 1964, a mere 48 years, we are still battling the same system, in the same country, under the same people! People really need to think about this, instead of mouthing off the nonsense they're spouting.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#170 » by cgmw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 am

I haven't read through this thread at all, but I wonder if people pointed out that Inglorious Basterds was basically a Spaghetti Western of the Holocaust. Personally, I don't really give a f*ck but I could see how some Jews would be turned off.

Spike's point of view is perfectly valid IMO. He's right. On the other hand, so is a guy who just likes to show up to a movie and be entertained for ten bucks.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#171 » by RHODEY » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:07 am

cgmw wrote:I haven't read through this thread at all, but I wonder if people pointed out that Inglorious Basterds was basically a Spaghetti Western of the Holocaust. Personally, I don't really give a f*ck but I could see how some Jews would be turned off.

Spike's point of view is perfectly valid IMO. He's right. On the other hand, so is a guy who just likes to show up to a movie and be entertained for ten bucks.

Good point.

If "Dead Nicca storage jokes are your thing"

Then QT is your man!
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#172 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:16 am

Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds is, in short, a very German film. But, it will be asked, what could possibly be German about a film that has been described as a “Jewish revenge fantasy,” in which Brad Pitt’s “Aldo Raine” and his band of Jewish “basterds” brutally kill and mutilate evil Nazis, cutting off their scalps as trophies? Hasn’t every Jew dreamt of bashing in the heads of Germans with a baseball bat à la Eli Roth’s “Sgt. Donny Donowitz”?

Well … no. And by the way: Who could possibly think such a thing? The answer is not hard to find. The “avenging Jew” is indeed a kind of stock character of the German political imagination. It has been at least ever since a certain Dr. Joseph Goebbels announced to the German public in 1944 that “the Jew Morgenthau” — otherwise known as the American Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau — was planning to turn Germany into “one big potato farm” in the event of an Allied victory over the German Reich.

Moreover, the depiction of the German characters in the film does nothing to render such savagery any more understandable. On the contrary, far from being classical villains, most of the German characters are presented in a sympathetic light. The only unambiguous exceptions are Hitler and the ever smarmy Goebbels. By contrast to the caricatures of the Nazi leaders, the purely fictive German characters seem human and are as a rule even more-or-less likeable. They include not only the jovial enlisted men in the barroom scene, but also, for instance, a celebrated and lovelorn sharpshooter who openly regrets his military exploits. Even the “Jew-hunting” SS officer Hans Landa is clearly not all bad.

The nuance of the German characters has been appreciatively noted in the German reviews of Inglourious Basterds. What has as a rule not been noted is the utter superficiality and one-dimensionality of the Jewish-American “Basterds.” Indeed, though Inglourious Basterds is ostensibly about them, they are in fact barely more than extras in the film. When they are not slicing and dicing their German victims, they are only rarely on screen and they have hardly any dialogue — especially when compared to the German-language gab fests. Only Eli Roth’s skull-crushing “Donowitz” plays a marginally more substantial role.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/inglourious-bas ... ewish-one/
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#173 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 am

Some in the Jewish community have charged that these films are anti-Semitic and even resemble Nazi propaganda. “Inglourious Basterds” depicts Jews as bloodthirsty monsters. Trevor Lynch of TOQ Online noticed this in his review. ”An Education” is about an unscrupulous Jewish pedophile. “A Serious Man” is about a staid Midwestern physics professor with a bitch for a wife and two insufferable brats as children.

http://antisemitica.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -semitism/
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#174 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:26 am

Inglourious Basterds is about a team of American terrorists, consisting of seven Jews led by a gentile, Aldo “the Apache” Raine (played by Brad Pitt), who hails from Tennessee and claims to be part American Indian. The character is clearly based on Tarantino himself, since he too has an Italian name, hails from Tennessee, and claims to be part Cherokee. The mission of the Basterds is to terrify the Nazis by killing them in the most sadistic manner possible and mutilating their corpses. The dead are scalped. The survivors have swastikas carved in their foreheads.

Holocaust narratives are filled with tales of thousands of Jews herded to their doom by relative handfuls of Germans and their collaborators. Although this sheep-like behavior seems rather unlike the hyper-aggressive and unruly Jews of my acquaintance, most people accept it at face value and then wonder: What was wrong with these people? Why didn’t they fight back?

Tarantino has asked the same question: “When you watch all the different Nazi movies, all the TV movies, it’s sad, but isn’t it also frustrating? Did everybody walk into the boxcar? Didn’t somebody do something?”

Inglourious Basterds is his answer. During WW II, the Jews needed the leadership of someone like Aldo the Apache, a mostly white man with a bit of red savage mixed in, just like the people who have churned out six million holocaust flicks need to take direction from Quentin Tarantino. With Tarantino in charge, the war would have had a very different end, and Inglourious Basterds shows us how.

www.toqonline.com/blog/inglourious-basterds/
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#175 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:27 am

So, are all these reviewers jealous of QT, or (gasp) racists?

Or only when Spike Lee offers commentary do you care and mouth off?
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#176 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:57 am

StutterStep wrote:
cgmw wrote:

The thing about slavery and people saying it's over...get over it, etc...is that not only was it just 147 years ago (end of Civil War) -- Black people were continually overtly discriminated against until (approximately) 1964, with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. But in between this period: lynchings, separate but equal, and countless ways to treat us as non-humans, non-citizens, etc...

Now since 1964, a mere 48 years, we are still battling the same system, in the same country, under the same people! People really need to think about this, instead of mouthing off the nonsense they're spouting.
Have you personally had to battle? I haven't gone through any extreme strife because of my skin color. Racism still exists, I know that, but I dont think its as rampant as this portrays it to be.

Civil rights and slavery are not the same thing either.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,212

Post#177 » by Capn'O » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:15 am

StutterStep wrote:
Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds is, in short, a very German film. But, it will be asked, what could possibly be German about a film that has been described as a “Jewish revenge fantasy,” in which Brad Pitt’s “Aldo Raine” and his band of Jewish “basterds” brutally kill and mutilate evil Nazis, cutting off their scalps as trophies? Hasn’t every Jew dreamt of bashing in the heads of Germans with a baseball bat à la Eli Roth’s “Sgt. Donny Donowitz”?

Well … no. And by the way: Who could possibly think such a thing? The answer is not hard to find. The “avenging Jew” is indeed a kind of stock character of the German political imagination. It has been at least ever since a certain Dr. Joseph Goebbels announced to the German public in 1944 that “the Jew Morgenthau” — otherwise known as the American Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau — was planning to turn Germany into “one big potato farm” in the event of an Allied victory over the German Reich.

Moreover, the depiction of the German characters in the film does nothing to render such savagery any more understandable. On the contrary, far from being classical villains, most of the German characters are presented in a sympathetic light. The only unambiguous exceptions are Hitler and the ever smarmy Goebbels. By contrast to the caricatures of the Nazi leaders, the purely fictive German characters seem human and are as a rule even more-or-less likeable. They include not only the jovial enlisted men in the barroom scene, but also, for instance, a celebrated and lovelorn sharpshooter who openly regrets his military exploits. Even the “Jew-hunting” SS officer Hans Landa is clearly not all bad.

The nuance of the German characters has been appreciatively noted in the German reviews of Inglourious Basterds. What has as a rule not been noted is the utter superficiality and one-dimensionality of the Jewish-American “Basterds.” Indeed, though Inglourious Basterds is ostensibly about them, they are in fact barely more than extras in the film. When they are not slicing and dicing their German victims, they are only rarely on screen and they have hardly any dialogue — especially when compared to the German-language gab fests. Only Eli Roth’s skull-crushing “Donowitz” plays a marginally more substantial role.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/inglourious-bas ... ewish-one/

But that's QT for you - and I say this as a JEWISH American. He's not interested in the victims. He's interested in what pushes normal people to commit atrocities. It's a fundamentally different role from what a guy like Lee does. The viewing of the victims as stereotypes is essential to his commentary.

My issue with QT is not everyone is as smart as he is... not everyone sees what he tries to do and his films often end up propping up the very institutions and facets of human nature that he is criticizing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#178 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 am

cgmw wrote:I haven't read through this thread at all, but I wonder if people pointed out that Inglorious Basterds was basically a Spaghetti Western of the Holocaust. Personally, I don't really give a f*ck but I could see how some Jews would be turned off.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino and I don't use this word lightly when it comes to motion pictures, but his movies are art. His past body of work proves that. And art should never, ever be censored by close-minded people and political correctness.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#179 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Capn'O wrote:But that's QT for you - and I say this as a JEWISH American. He's not interested in the victims. He's interested in what pushes normal people to commit atrocities. It's a fundamentally different role from what a guy like Lee does. The viewing of the victims as stereotypes is essential to his commentary.

My issue with QT is not everyone is as smart as he is... not everyone sees what he tries to do and his films often end up propping up the very institutions and facets of human nature that he is criticizing.

Am I misreading this?

If I'm not you're stating QT is essentially taking the Nazi side in Inglorious Basterds?
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#180 » by StutterStep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Have you personally had to battle? I haven't gone through any extreme strife because of my skin color. Racism still exists, I know that, but I dont think its as rampant as this portrays it to be.

Civil rights and slavery are not the same thing either.

I'm not sure if the Bold is a serious question. If it is, of course I've had to -- directly and indirectly.

I'm not sure where you live and how you associate but you sound like you live in a bubble.

Of course civil rights and slavery are not the same thing -- you fight to gain the former, and to rid the latter.

Return to New York Knicks