ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#41 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:33 pm

the91ser wrote:
Zardose wrote:
the91ser wrote:someone should tell spike to read a history book and learn that his ancestors weren't stolen from africa. they were sold to europeans by the africans who were already enslaving them.

Right, Just like this land was "bought" from the "Native Americans" that were already here.

nahhh nothing like that. that was straight genocide. i was just commenting because a lot of people have this perception that europeans like...invented slavery. and raided africa for slaves. that crap was going on for hundreds of years all over the world. it was a legit business trade at that point in history. i just didnt like the "stolen" comment.

Wow, I'm not sure why you'd want to try to draw that fine a point.

Yes, slavery existed for thousands of years. It goes back to the earliest man. The Egyptians enslaved Nubians and Hebrews both.

There is a world of slavery to discuss.

The African slave trade to the us however was a result of European trade and US demand. So Spikes particular issue, his ancestors being taken from Africa and brought here forcibly, is accurate.

There was slavery in Africa before the Europeans started exporting them but the amount was nothing in comparison to what happened when they started buying them up.

It's a foolish point to make.
the91ser
Junior
And1: 10

Post#42 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:34 pm

they didnt go into africa with weapons drawn and just grab africans and throw them on slave ships. they made business deals with the powers that be in africa at the time.
the knicks =/
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#43 » by AndroidMan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 pm

the91ser wrote:they didnt go into africa with weapons drawn and just grab africans and throw them on slave ships. they made business deals with the powers that be in africa at the time.

Then they whipped the **** out of them and were told to work extraneous hours in heat, for nothing but the enjoyment of the white man. It's irrelevant how they were purchased, as that is just semantic conversation that takes away from the true atrocities committed by the white. Its a diversion tactic. The true horror is what happened after they were sold off.
the91ser
Junior

Post#44 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:42 pm

AndroidMan wrote:
the91ser wrote:they didnt go into africa with weapons drawn and just grab africans and throw them on slave ships. they made business deals with the powers that be in africa at the time.

Then they whipped the **** out of them and were told to work extraneous hours in heat, for nothing but the enjoyment of the white man. It's irrelevant how they were purchased, as that is just semantic conversation that takes away from the true atrocities committed by the white. Its a diversion tactic. The true horror is what happened after they were sold off.

i agree. its disgusting. i took a few college classes about african studies and 1800s in america and stuff.

slavery is a microcosm of the human being. we are rational and pragmatic creatures and we will do things that we know are wrong if they help benefit us. its messed up but its not a white thing. its a human thing.
the knicks =/
the91ser
Junior

Post#45 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:45 pm

anyway thats my two cents. i expect to get flamed for my thoughts but i really havent said anything incorrect or offensive.

spike should see the movie before he comments on it
the knicks =/
keyindabox
Starter
And1: 171

Post#46 » by keyindabox » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Well it has an 87% from critics on Rotten, so I am looking forward to seeing it. Sorry Spike.
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#47 » by AndroidMan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 pm

the91ser wrote:anyway thats my two cents. i expect to get flamed for my thoughts but i really havent said anything incorrect or offensive.

The fact you don't think your comment is offensive is depressing. You are basically asking Spike and other African Americans to not be mad at whites for taking them from Africa, but to be upset by blacks who sold them off. Like I said it's just a diversion tactic to shift the blame. Clever tactic but the whites are still guilty of their atrocities.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,983

Post#48 » by Stannis » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 pm

I never saw an issue.
Free Palestine
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,134

Post#49 » by waya » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Sounds like Spike is annoyed hes becoming irrelevant in Hollywood.
the91ser
Junior

Post#50 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 pm

AndroidMan wrote:
the91ser wrote:anyway thats my two cents. i expect to get flamed for my thoughts but i really havent said anything incorrect or offensive.

The fact you don't think your comment is offensive is depressing. You are basically asking Spike and other African Americans to not be mad at whites for taking them from Africa, but to be upset by blacks who sold them off. Like I said it's just a diversion tactic to shift the blame. Clever tactic but the whites are still guilty of their atrocities.

my bad if thats how i came across. i just felt like pointing out that africans sold other africans to europeans. it doesnt justify the fact that the euros were enslaving other human beings. i just pointed it out because i feel like no one knows that thats how it went down
the knicks =/
badazzyellaboi6
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#51 » by badazzyellaboi6 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:32 pm

the91ser wrote:someone should tell spike to read a history book and learn that his ancestors weren't stolen from africa. they were sold to europeans by the africans who were already enslaving them.

So is this how people rationalize slavery now to absolve the Europeans of creating the demand for slaves and creating the whole slave trade? Maybe the people who have claimed to have read said history book should divulge deeper into the history of slavery and they will find out that not all slaves were sold by their African counterparts. The ones that were sold into slavery were captors from warring tribes and after the booming success that the initial go round of slave trading gave to the slave owners the Dutch and European saw a great business resource that was exploited in order to increase the revenue of slaver owner so the same Blacks that were sellers eventually became sold as well. So millions of Africans were hunted and trapped like animals and sold like livestock. The History of slavery is not always transparent but for a section of people that is looking for palatable excuse for slavery that it was blacks that sold their own kind into that life, I guess this will work; it’s not accurate but whatever helps you sleep at night.
the91ser
Junior

Post#52 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 pm

badazzyellaboi6 wrote:

So is this how people rationalize slavery now to absolve the Europeans of creating the demand for slaves and creating the whole slave trade? Maybe the people who have claimed to have read said history book should divulge deeper into the history of slavery and they will find out that not all slaves were sold by their African counterparts. The ones that were sold into slavery were captors from warring tribes and after the booming success that the initial go round of slave trading gave to the slave owners the Dutch and European saw a great business resource that was exploited in order to increase the revenue of slaver owner so the same Blacks that were sellers eventually became sold as well. So millions of Africans were hunted and trapped like animals and sold like livestock. The History of slavery is not always transparent but for a section of people that is looking for palatable excuse for slavery that it was blacks that sold their own kind into that life, I guess this will work; it’s not accurate but whatever helps you sleep at night.

hey man, im italian american. my ancestors never owned slaves. i sleep fine at night
the knicks =/
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,493

Post#53 » by RHODEY » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:35 pm

the91ser wrote:i hope no one thinks im defending slavery hahah. im just saying spike is misinformed thinking that slaves were stolen from africa by euros. they were sold by other africans. its not an opinion either, thats what happened.

Wrong again. I think your seemingly immutable world view prevents you from accepting all the facts pertaining to the slave trade. Another snippet from the link you seemed to have conveniently ignored:

Trade implies human-to-human mutuality without force. This was certainly not the general scenario for the TransAtlantic so-called Trade in African slaves. Indeed, it was the Portuguese who initiated the European phase of slave raiding in Africa by attacking a sleeping village in 1444 and carting away the survivors to work for free in Europe.

http://www.reunionblackfamily.com/apps/ ... to-slavery
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#54 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 pm

the91ser wrote:
AndroidMan wrote:

my bad if thats how i came across. i just felt like pointing out that africans sold other africans to europeans. it doesnt justify the fact that the euros were enslaving other human beings. i just pointed it out because i feel like no one knows that thats how it went down

It's perceived as if you're exonerating people in the process, and really no one is concerned about how it went down except ones who are trying to justify a terrible point in history.

"He don't blame me, all i did was pay for them, and provided a ride, they were already there for the picking".

See how that sounds?
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:39 pm

the91ser wrote:hey man, im italian american. my ancestors never owned slaves. i sleep fine at night

Dude, your digging a ridiculous hole, Italians were slaves too, and had slaves.

Pick up a book.

the91ser
Junior

Post#56 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:41 pm

dudes, seriously, im not justifying it all. im just trying to point out a fact thats ignored / not commonly known.
the knicks =/
the91ser
Junior

Post#57 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
the91ser wrote:hey man, im italian american. my ancestors never owned slaves. i sleep fine at night

Pick up a book.

my known family tree were bread bakers. pretty sure we didnt have slaves.
the knicks =/
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 pm

the91ser wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

Pick up a book.

my known family tree were bread bakers. pretty sure we didnt have slaves.

If you're of italian descent you either had them or was one in history.

Honestly no race escaped this, but some were more notorious than others.

the91ser
Junior

Post#59 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 pm

u guys just cant take it that a white guy doesnt feel guilty that white people 200 years ago had black slaves. i never owned a slave, and none of you were ever slaves. it happened, it was terrible, but dont jump down my neck when i point out a historical fact
the knicks =/
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 pm

the91ser wrote:u guys just cant take it that a white guy doesnt feel guilty that white people 200 years ago had black slaves. i never owned a slave, and none of you were ever slaves. it happened, it was terrible, but dont jump down my neck when i point out a historical fact

Knock if off man, you've destroyed every ounce of credibility and making it worse by the post.

The fact is every single race has been or had slaves, some have been worse by impression because there are still some who have personally gone through it.

You implied spike was stupid, when in essence you told on yourself, and drove us down your path.

Just leave it alone man.

Return to New York Knicks