ImageImageImageImageImage

General Rock Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thisiskoz
Sixth Man
And1: 529

Re: General Rock Thread 

Post#341 » by thisiskoz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:New find.

Been digging on these guys a couple months now. Love the vibe. Think they popped up as a recommendation when I was listening to some Mapache. Also a nice vibe.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,748

Post#342 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:18 pm

thisiskoz wrote:

Been digging on these guys a couple months now. Love the vibe. Think they popped up as a recommendation when I was listening to some Mapache. Also a nice vibe.

Thanks for the recommendation. Love it. I’m hearing some bluegrass and influence there with some of those guitar runs. Interesting.

Yes, I love this new wave of guitar driven vibe music. Have you checked out Kruangbin?
Free Palestine
thisiskoz
Sixth Man
And1: 529

Post#343 » by thisiskoz » Fri Sep 1, 2023 6:41 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
thisiskoz wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Love it. I’m hearing some bluegrass and influence there with some of those guitar runs. Interesting.

Yes, I love this new wave of guitar driven vibe music. Have you checked out Kruangbin?

Yeah, I dig Khruangbin. Anything kinda jammy and psych adjacent tends to be something I'll listen to.

Here's something else with that kinda vibe but more rock flavored you might like. This whole set is great.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#344 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 1, 2023 6:48 pm

thisiskoz wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
thisiskoz wrote:Been digging on these guys a couple months now. Love the vibe. Think they popped up as a recommendation when I was listening to some Mapache. Also a nice vibe.

Yeah, I dig Khruangbin. Anything kinda jammy and psych adjacent tends to be something I'll listen to.

Here's something else with that kinda vibe but more rock flavored you might like. This whole set is great.

I love that the lead singer/guitarist is playing a Fender Telecaster Deluxe! This is very 60s psychedelic stuff.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#345 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 2, 2023 6:14 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
He has a bunch of them.

Hey, look what I found on YouTube. Is he friendlier in this video? :lol:

It was awesome to be a part of bringing this show to life.

This is dedicated to YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#346 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 2, 2023 7:52 pm

Jimmy Buffett passed away. Only 76.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,985

Post#347 » by Stannis » Tue Sep 5, 2023 8:06 pm

I've been watching the Beatles: Get Back documentary on Disney Plus.

It's pretty cool to watch.

It's interesting how easy they make it look. I thought they were going to come in each day with these big sheets of music but it looks like they are mostly just sitting in a room and finding their rhythm.

You can also see how tired and ready to leave George Harrison is.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#348 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Sep 5, 2023 9:16 pm

I was just watching a year in rock. They covered 1979 and 1980. The deaths and the end of bands was pretty historic. Bon Scott, Jon Bonham, John Lennon all died. Ozzy leaves Black Sabbath. The Eagles and Led Zeppelin break up. It was a wild time in music. MJ goes solo. Prince/U2 hits the scene. Disco dies. So much happened in those two years of music.
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#349 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 6, 2023 6:50 pm

New Rolling Stones album coming out 10/20.
Free Palestine
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,978

Post#350 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 7, 2023 2:58 pm

BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#351 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:16 pm

gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,346

Post#352 » by gavran » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:New Rolling Stones album coming out 10/20.

No Charlie Watts, no Rolling Stones. At best they are a tribute band now.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#353 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 7, 2023 6:13 pm

gavran wrote:

I read that the new drummer, Steve Jordan, was handpicked by Charlie himself, fwiw.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#354 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 8, 2023 12:50 am

gavran wrote:

That's a little harsh. There are bands touring under the original name with like only one original member who is the backup rhythm guitarist and backup singer. :lol:

Keef and Mick will always be the heart and soul of The Rolling Stones. Keith writes the songs and Mick sings 'em. Have you listened to any cuts off the new album?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind an acoustic album with just the Mick, Keef, and Ronnie.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#355 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:15 am

thisiskoz wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
thisiskoz wrote:Been digging on these guys a couple months now. Love the vibe. Think they popped up as a recommendation when I was listening to some Mapache. Also a nice vibe.

Hey, check this out. Wingo found another new band (at least to me :lol: ). Oh dang, turns out they've been around for awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah-Las

Allah-Las are an American rock band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 2008. The band consists of Miles Michaud (vocals, guitar), Matthew Correia (percussion, vocals), Spencer Dunham (bass, vocals), and Pedrum Siadatian (lead guitar, vocals).[1]

History
The group was founded in 2008,[2] when school friends Matt Correia and Spencer Dunham met Pedrum Siadatian while working together at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles. They began jamming, and together with Correia and Dunham's fellow school friend, Miles Michaud, formed the band.[3] They released their first 7-inch recording in 2011, "Catamaran/Long Journey", produced by Nick Waterhouse for his Pres label.[4] In 2012, they released a second single, "Tell Me (What's on Your Mind)/Sacred Sands", produced again by Waterhouse but this time for their new label, Innovative Leisure. One reviewer commented that "their sound is steeped in the pop sensibilities of The Zombies, The Kinks and The Yardbirds, laced with Northern Soul, lo-fi funk and the ever-enduring influence of Arthur Lee and Love".[5][6] Allah-Las were featured in a Daytrotter session in May 2012 and their performance of Catamaran was named one of the top 200 Daytrotter songs of the year.[7][8]

In September 2012, Allah-Las released their self-titled debut LP, also produced by Waterhouse for Innovative Leisure.[9] The album has been described as "an effortlessly wistful batch of starry-eyed, minor-key beauties that gently ruminate on the usual young-guy subjects: sex, freedom, the ways the former can interfere with the latter and vice versa".[10] In October 2012, NPR's World Café featured two songs of Allah-Las, noting that "the music captures the carefree, breezy sounds of California... dreamy romanticism [with] a vibe that can feel both joyous and melancholy".[11] In October 2019, the album landed at no. 22 on Happy Mag's list of "The 25 best psychedelic rock albums of the 2010s", labeled as "a staple in surf-rock and ’60s revival."[12]

[13] Allah-Las completed their first tour in 2011, up the California coast from San Diego to San Francisco. They toured the East Coast and Europe during 2012, where their first show in London, UK was described by The Guardian as "a blissful 45 minutes on a cold night".[3] In 2014 they released their second album, Worship the Sun.[14]

The group released their third album, Calico Review, on September 9, 2016, out on Mexican Summer.[15] The album was recorded in mid-2016 at the Valentine Recording Studio in Los Angeles, California.

In August 2017, an Allah-Las concert in Rotterdam was cancelled after Dutch police, acting on a tip-off from their Spanish counterparts, stopped a van containing gas canisters near the venue.[16] The event occurred six days after an Islamist terror cell killed 16 people in the Barcelona area.[17]

On November 3, 2017, the band released the EP Covers #1 on Mexican Summer. The EP consists of four covers of songs by George Harrison, Television, Kathy Heideman, and Further. Noisey's Lindsay MaHarry said of the EP: "Despite their sound’s inherent lightheartedness, the weight of a certain melancholy is palpable. It’s a dichotomy that, on both Covers #1 and the band’s previous releases, elevates Allah Las’s work beyond the confines of the two-dimensional 60s pop they’re often compared to."[18] The EP was recorded in Topanga Canyon, California at the Pump House with the help of Kyle Mullarky.

In October 2019, the band released the album LAHS.[citation needed] The album was received with generally positive reviews.[19] Exclaim's Allie Gregory dubbed the album "the perfect atmospheric soundtrack for a backyard party with boozy beverages and adult tokeables",[13] whereas Clash Magazine's Jack Docherty labeled it "a record where the sunshine is too few and far between."[20]

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#356 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:27 am

gavran wrote:

The spirit it of Charlie Watts lives on in Steve Jordan. Charlie picked him himself.

Free Palestine
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,890

Post#357 » by 8516knicks » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Looks like a little moss on Mick now. Earlier this year I found a youtube video about an Englishman in a totally different field (maybe Physics or Philosophy or Economics) outside on a shore with a rock formation with a bunch of kids around 12 in the background and they noted one was Mick. That was startling. Head trip seeing this now. :-? :gossip:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#358 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:12 pm

8516knicks wrote:Looks like a little moss on Mick now. Earlier this year I found a youtube video about an Englishman in a totally different field (maybe Physics or Philosophy or Economics) outside on a shore with a rock formation with a bunch of kids around 12 in the background and they noted one was Mick. That was startling. Head trip seeing this now. :-? :gossip:

How about this? :lol:

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#359 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:17 pm

Coming to a theater near you.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#360 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:19 am

Don't tell me that rock and roll can't bring world peace. Get those Israelis and Palestinians smoking pot and playing Bob Dylan and there will be peace.

Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks