ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Phone Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Re: OT: Phone Thread 

Post#21 » by DrKnick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:52 pm

I'll never pay over $50 for a cellphone.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#22 » by kane » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 pm

i got a iphone 5 when it first came out and still using it and im on version, but i think you can trade it in after 2 years for a 6 when they come out anyone know how that works?
BaffLer
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,369

Post#23 » by BaffLer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:17 pm

I have an HTC One and it is hands down the best phone I have ever owned. The quality of the build is just amazing. The sound and screen quality is great for watching movies and videos. The camera is by far one the One's biggest downside. That and I suffer from the purple tint most HTC Ones suffer from which makes all the photos and videos I shoot have a purple tint to them.

HTC One was considered one of the best phones of 2013 by a lot of websites and users. If the camera was just a bit better it would no doubt in my mind be one of the GOAT smartphones. The HTC One M8 looks great but I just don't see myself upgrading my phone anytime soon. Also the Sony Xperia Z2 seems to have hit the ground running. Sony fans have been waiting for a flagship phone for a LONG time and I believe they finally got it with the Xperia Z2. I would definitely look into that one if you're thinking about joining the high-end smartphone market.
Part-time Lover
Senior
And1: 58

Post#24 » by Part-time Lover » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:57 pm

Can you guys recommend a smartphone that costs about 180 dollars to 230? Android and up to date

I'm a cheap ass mofo but I would like to get updated to the current phone trends of Android and iOS

I'm 20 but I don't know my way around phones

To be exact this is my phone currently:

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,826

Post#25 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Part-time Lover wrote:Can you guys recommend a smartphone that costs about 180 dollars to 230? Android and up to date

I'm a cheap ass mofo but I would like to get updated to the current phone trends of Android and iOS

If you can live with a contract, you can find most of this year's Android (and iOS) flagships for $200. Off contract is a much more difficult task for that budget. The closest I could think of is the Samsung Galaxy S3, but its next Android update (KitKat) will be its last (and no one seems to know when the hell it will be updated). If you want to go crazy though, learning to root will maximize the hell out of an Android phone.
Part-time Lover
Senior

Post#26 » by Part-time Lover » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Part-time Lover wrote:Can you guys recommend a smartphone that costs about 180 dollars to 230? Android and up to date

If you can live with a contract, you can find most of this year's Android (and iOS) flagships for $200. Off contract is a much more difficult task for that budget. The closest I could think of is the Samsung Galaxy S3, but its next Android update (KitKat) will be its last (and no one seems to know when the hell it will be updated). If you want to go crazy though, learning to root will maximize the hell out of an Android phone.

You're right about finding off contract for that price. My friends tell me the budget for smartphones these days are double the price I stated. So around 400 dollars?

Do you have any recommendations for Sony or LG around that price
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#27 » by Rich Rane » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 am

Part-time Lover wrote:Do you have any recommendations for Sony or LG around that price

If you're willing to spend around $450, I'd try out the LG G2.
Part-time Lover
Senior

Post#28 » by Part-time Lover » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:12 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Part-time Lover wrote:Do you have any recommendations for Sony or LG around that price

If you're willing to spend around $450, I'd try out the LG G2.

Ahh I've heard and seen that one

Thanks man, I'll go check those out
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#29 » by DE FENSE » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:19 pm

I think I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S5. I wanted to like the HTC One M8, but the camera is god awful compared to the competition, and that is something that is important to me.
Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#30 » by Starks » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm

DE FENSE wrote:I think I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S5. I wanted to like the HTC One M8, but the camera is god awful compared to the competition, and that is something that is important to me.

In that case, you should check out the Sony Xperia Z2, it'll come out a little later than S5 but it is a beast, camera included.

Edit: I don't agree about the M8 camera being crap compared to others. Don't get caught up in all this talk, unless you plan on printing pics full size, using them for a website full screen or cropping the hell out of them, the camera is plenty good for a smartphone. People always act as if they're going to use their smartphones for professional photography. Just get a DSLR camera if you're serious about it, if not M8 camera is pretty good IMO.
DE FENSE
RealGM

Post#31 » by DE FENSE » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Starks wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:I think I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S5. I wanted to like the HTC One M8, but the camera is god awful compared to the competition, and that is something that is important to me.

In that case, you should check out the Sony Xperia Z2, it'll come out a little later than S5 but it is a beast, camera included.

True, the specs are a bit better on the Z2 (16MP vs 20MP), but not enough to make me wait. They both do 1080p@60fps which is what I am looking for, both can do 4K video, and both take great photos.
DE FENSE
RealGM

Post#32 » by DE FENSE » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:46 pm

In response to your edit Starks, I've looked at tons of side by side photo comparisons for all three phones and the M8 just can't keep up. I don't really get caught up in the numbers, I'm just going by the eye test. Also, it only does 1080p@30fps, which is the deal breaker for me.
Starks
Veteran

Post#33 » by Starks » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:02 pm

DE FENSE wrote:In response to your edit Starks, I've looked at tons of side by side photo comparisons for all three phones and the M8 just can't keep up. I don't really get caught up in the numbers, I'm just going by the eye test. Also, it only does 1080p@30fps, which is the deal breaker for me.

I had the previous HTC One and while people didn't like its camera, it just didn't strike me as being as bad as everybody was making it out to be, and it seems to be the same with the M8. Granted I only use my pictures for social networks and just showing them to friends on the phone's screen, so that might be it. I agree that the camera isn't as good as other ones when viewing pictures full size but I also think that people are making too big of a deal out of it, since the phone is superb in other areas.
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,256

Post#34 » by CDAZ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:07 pm

To be exact this is my phone currently:

MOTO G seems like your best bet
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#35 » by Rich Rane » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Starks wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:In response to your edit Starks, I've looked at tons of side by side photo comparisons for all three phones and the M8 just can't keep up. I don't really get caught up in the numbers, I'm just going by the eye test. Also, it only does 1080p@30fps, which is the deal breaker for me.

I had the previous HTC One and while people didn't like its camera, it just didn't strike me as being as bad as everybody was making it out to be, and it seems to be the same with the M8. Granted I only use my pictures for social networks and just showing them to friends on the phone's screen, so that might be it. I agree that the camera isn't as good as other ones when viewing pictures full size but I also think that people are making too big of a deal out of it, since the phone is superb in other areas.

The HTC One M7's camera is definitely not the best in the market, but it is more than adequate for any situation, but especially in low light situations. If you take photos indoors or anytime at night, in my experience it's one of the best camera phones.
Starks
Veteran

Post#36 » by Starks » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Starks wrote:

The HTC One M7's camera is definitely not the best in the market, but it is more than adequate for any situation, but especially in low light situations. If you take photos indoors or anytime at night, in my experience it's one of the best camera phones.

Yep, HTC's Ultrapixels work wonders in low light. I'm really supportive of this type of improvements in cameras. Of course had they put soemthing like 8 MP it would have been better depending of what you use your pictures for, but in my usage it's enough as it is. Also, pictures are lighter and easier to share.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#37 » by The_Special_One » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:10 pm

If battery life is a priority, S5 is the phone for you. On the top of that, its camera is phenomenal.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#38 » by TheBigBoss » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't even know why people buy iPhones. Compared to my Galaxy Note 3, the iPhone is trash period. If you guys used my phone for one week, I guarantee you wouldn't want to know nothing about iPhone after that.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#39 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:44 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:I don't even know why people buy iPhones. Compared to my Galaxy Note 3, the iPhone is trash period. If you guys used my phone for one week, I guarantee you wouldn't want to know nothing about iPhone after that.

Had it and currently have an iphone 5s (partially for work and partially because it handles everything I actually use perfectly); I can't handle Touchwiz. If I went back to Android, it would be a Nexus device.

Return to New York Knicks