ImageImageImageImageImage

First Take WIZ/Bulls series could influence Melo to stay put

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,478

First Take WIZ/Bulls series could influence Melo to stay put 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Mentioned that he may have to carry a huge offensive load there. Also mentioned that the Bulls starters usage rate is through the roof and could possibly lead to injuries.

Thoughts?
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,999

Re: First Take WIZ/Bulls series could influence Melo to stay 

Post#2 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 pm

been saying this. he doesn't want to carry the load on scoring, he's complained about that here. so now he's gonna join the bulls and hope rose stays healthy. after dealing with amare and his health. he would have to be crazy.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Yeah it's quite possible. Unless one believes that DJ Augustin is the answer or the Derrick Rose will actually return, it's actually not too hard to argue that Anthony would have to shoulder an even bigger offensive load in Chicago than he's had to in NY. So yeah, if that (not wanting to be the only guy offensively) bothers Anthony (it may, it may not) then the Bulls would not be a good potential destination for him and, instead, Houston would (at least on paper and discounting the possibility of "who's got the ball" clashes with the Rockets resident score-meister).
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#4 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

moocow007 wrote:Yeah it's quite possible. Unless one believes that DJ Augustin is the answer or the Derrick Rose will actually return, it's actually not too hard to argue that Anthony would have to shoulder an even bigger offensive load in Chicago than he's had to in NY. So yeah, if that (not wanting to be the only guy offensively) bothers Anthony (it may, it may not) then the Bulls would not be a good potential destination for him and, instead, Houston would (at least on paper and discounting the possibility of "who's got the ball" clashes with the Rockets resident score-meister).

they can't even resign dj if he wants more then the minimum
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#5 » by omerome » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

god shammgod wrote:been saying this. he doesn't want to carry the load on scoring, he's complained about that here. so now he's gonna join the bulls and hope rose stays healthy. after dealing with amare and his health. he would have to be crazy.

I think he is a bit crazy already. The fact that he's opt'ing out when he should know things likely aren't greener on the other side says so.

Then if he leaves and still doesn't win, that would just tarnish his reputation even more.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#6 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

I BEEN saying this.

There are concerns about him joining that team, anybody who thinks differently is delusional. All that defense the Bulls are known for can only carry you for so long, we all saw what happened in Game 1 when they needed to score.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

god shammgod wrote:been saying this. he doesn't want to carry the load on scoring, he's complained about that here. so now he's gonna join the bulls and hope rose stays healthy. after dealing with amare and his health. he would have to be crazy.

Yes. And unlike in NY where he'd get a shot at a re-do in terms of that 2nd star in 2015, if Rose is shot, the next re-do won't be until after the 2016-2017 season (when Rose's contract expires). And there's always the tenuous nature of the relationship between Thibodeau and the Bulls possibly causing an earlier than expected exit for one of his favorite coaches as well as the Bulls mantra against exceeding the luxury tax further limiting what they'd be willing to do to win.
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#8 » by don't panac » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm

i think that their struggles make it even more likely that he goes there.
he would arrive as the man, which is something he obviously relishes, but within a system that complements him almost perfectly.
and he would NOT have a bigger role there than here this year. that's crazy talk.

on the good side, it might mean they are willing to give up something more in a S&T to ensure he goes there
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,408

Post#9 » by ag3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm

I truly believe it's Miami or NY.
I can't see Melo taking any pay cut unless its for an almost guaranteed championship with Lebron in Miami.
Not to mention, Florida has no state tax, so it's effectively not even that much of a pay cut.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

omerome wrote:

I think he is a bit crazy already. The fact that he's opt'ing out when he should know things likely aren't greener on the other side says so.

Then if he leaves and still doesn't win, that would just tarnish his reputation even more.

The last thing Anthony would want is to leave his home town team and see Jackson turn the team around without him. Then the naysayers will say that it was him that was holding the team back. And with that the "can't win with him" mantra would gain even more steam. I think that's Anthony's biggest concern and probably what will eventually put him back in a Knick uniform. Hopefully it comes with him also taking a slight discount to allow the Knicks a little extra wiggle room under the cap in 2015.
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#11 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Chicago continues to be a great regular season team and one of the worst playoff teams in the league. If Melo goes there, he better be prepared to play 48 minutes in every single regular season game only to be upset yet again in the playoffs.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#12 » by omerome » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 pm

don't panac wrote:i think that their struggles make it even more likely that he goes there.
he would arrive as the man, which is something he obviously relishes, but within a system that complements him almost perfectly.
and he would NOT have a bigger role there than here this year. that's crazy talk.

on the good side, it might mean they are willing to give up something more in a S&T to ensure he goes there

Thibs, like Woodson, tends to play their better players a lot of minutes. A lot of minutes creates wear and tear on a player, and as we have seen, Melo has a lot of wear and tear already. He'd be asked to score A LOT because other than him, who's going to do it (Rose? Perhaps if he returns to form, then again, isn't that we hoped for with STAT?) He'd be playing with a superior defensive team, but they still lack guys who can take the load off him.

He's likely to repeat history if he goes to the Bulls and then it would be a challenge for the team to fill in the gaps properly.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#13 » by aq_ua » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 pm

omerome wrote:

Not to mention, scoring is what Melo does best. Take scoring away and what are you left with? A good rebounder, decent ball handler...certainly nothing that justifies a huge contract. What Melo really needs to shine is a strong defense that will allow him to focus more on one end of the floor. That's what the Bulls could provide.
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#14 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:55 pm

I think Melo already has his mind made up tbh. He wants his ego stroked but he wants his 5th year and to continue being the man in NYC. Btw outside of MIA no team he goes to next year will automatically become a championship contender.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
wang000hk
Sixth Man
And1: 253

Post#15 » by wang000hk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm

ag3 wrote:I truly believe it's Miami or NY.
I can't see Melo taking any pay cut unless its for an almost guaranteed championship with Lebron in Miami.
Not to mention, Florida has no state tax, so it's effectively not even that much of a pay cut.

Is there any way that Melo can join the Heat this offseason?

Do they have to take a huge pay cut again?
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:Chicago continues to be a great regular season team and one of the worst playoff teams in the league. If Melo goes there, he better be prepared to play 48 minutes in every single regular season game only to be upset yet again in the playoffs.

even when rose was perfectly healthy and the team was deeper they were no match for miami in the playoffs. they won one game, the 1st one. then miami shut down rose and it was over. they overachieve during the regular season by playing harder then everyone. but everyone plays hard in the playoffs.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by aq_ua » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:I think Melo already has his mind made up tbh. He wants his ego stroked but he wants his 5th year and to continue being the man in NYC. Btw outside of MIA no team he goes to next year will automatically become a championship contender.

I agree he wants his fifth year and he wants his max for sure. Not necessarily in NY though - I could still see a sign and trade scenario. I also agree the team he goes to does not become a championship contender and neither do we if he stays.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:59 pm

If he does take a paycut and waits one year he can have his cake and eat it too by "coercing" Lebron to join him in NY.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by aq_ua » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

moocow007 wrote:

If he does take a paycut and waits one year he can have his cake and eat it too by "coercing" Lebron to join him in NY.

The only way Melo could win a championship was by convincing the best player in the league to come play with him. That would take a massive massive swallowing of ego, and big ups to Melo if he could.
MKCATL
Starter
And1: 707

Post#20 » by MKCATL » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

wang000hk wrote:

Is there any way that Melo can join the Heat this offseason?

Do they have to take a huge pay cut again?

I don't think it has to be as big of a cut as some suspect, if Miami is willing to part with Bosh or Wade. It's a bit of a gamble for Wade to opt out, he might be the one that ends up in Chi-Town.
"I am by no means an expert in basketball." -James Dolan

Return to New York Knicks