ImageImageImageImageImage

FREE AGENT/Trade/Transaction Idea thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Re: Trade/Transaction Idea thread (14'-15') 

Post#61 » by swisscheeseD » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:03 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:NY trades: Iman Shumpert + Jeremy Tyler
NY receives: Donatas Motiejunas + Isaiah Canaan

HOU trades: Donatas Motiejunas + Isaiah Canaan
HOU receives: Iman Shumpert + Jeremy Tyler

we already have bargs and larkin. Two very similar players you are acquiring. plus unless you considered them 1 year rentals they wJustould hit our cap next eyar at over 3 million.

I would rather just let shump play out the season and hopefully increase his value then take back that kinda deal.

DMo is still cost-controlled passed 2015, whereas Shump's cap hit is huge heading into next offseason.

Replicating what Bargs brings to the table is perfect, we could actually focus on developing DMo, not as a #1 option, but in a winning environment in a proven system. We could just buyout Bargs and free up a roster spot.

A move like this just gives us more flexibility next offseason. As you said... they'd hit our cap hold at a little over $3 million for both DMo and Canaan. Much better than $6+ for Shump. 2 for 1 at less than half the price?

We need to learn how to maximize these assets.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,327

Post#62 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:24 pm

D-Mo has a different game then Bargs too. He is more of a post player/interior threat then Bargs. He's has a better motor and is a better rebounder too (not saying much). D-Mo can shoot, but stretch 4 isn't really his game.

Defensively, he still needs a lot of work.

He would def be a nice player to develop in this system though.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,675

Post#63 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:NY trades: Iman Shumpert + Jeremy Tyler
NY receives: Donatas Motiejunas + Isaiah Canaan

HOU trades: Donatas Motiejunas + Isaiah Canaan
HOU receives: Iman Shumpert + Jeremy Tyler

we already have bargs and larkin. Two very similar players you are acquiring. plus unless you considered them 1 year rentals they wJustould hit our cap next eyar at over 3 million.

I would rather just let shump play out the season and hopefully increase his value then take back that kinda deal.

DMo is still cost-controlled passed 2015, whereas Shump's cap hit is huge heading into next offseason.

Replicating what Bargs brings to the table is perfect, we could actually focus on developing DMo, not as a #1 option, but in a winning environment in a proven system. We could just buyout Bargs and free up a roster spot.

A move like this just gives us more flexibility next offseason. As you said... they'd hit our cap hold at a little over $3 million for both DMo and Canaan. Much better than $6+ for Shump. 2 for 1 at less than half the price?

but lets say shumpert gets off to a good start. Maybe we can ship Shumpert mid season for a future 1st and possibly another small asset.

I would take that package of cannan and Dmo anyday of the week. Plus a future 1st cap hold is probably around 1.5 in a shumpert trade scenario so that saves us close to 2 million rather than tying that into DMo and Cannan to very so so players.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#64 » by swisscheeseD » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:45 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

but lets say shumpert gets off to a good start. Maybe we can ship Shumpert mid season for a future 1st and possibly another small asset.

I would take that package of cannan and Dmo anyday of the week. Plus a future 1st cap hold is probably around 1.5 in a shumpert trade scenario so that saves us close to 2 million rather than tying that into DMo and Cannan to very so so players.

So you're saying that Shumpert's value is that of a mid-to-late 1st Round Pick. Which based on my trade, it sounds like my valuation was probably on par for Motie...it's just you don't value Motie the same way I do.

Motiejunas is a SKILLED 7fter, those don't grow on trees. I think his ceiling is still as high, if not higher, than a projected mid-to-laye 1st. I'm not saying Motiejunas is the next big thing...but give him an opportunity, in this system, to develop over the course of the year...and watch him flourish.

Everyone loved the Jason Smith signing, some even compared Smith/Bargnani's game...we'd be able to just cut ties with everything that follow's with Bargnani's name, and have DMo learn from Smith and he's at worst a solid rotation player.

We need to think about players who can develop but also contribute now. We need to think about 2015 and that it also takes DEPTH to win titles. Not sure we need to wait around for a future 1st Rounder to develop, what's wrong with starting with a 23yr old skilled 7fter who happens to be a perfect fit in your system?
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#65 » by DowNY » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Knicks acquire - Mike Conley & Tayshaun Prince
(Knicks flip Calderon, Tyler, Thanasis & Shumpert into a nice upgrade.)

Grizzlies acquire - Jose Calderon, Danilo Gallinari, Thanasis Antek., Jeremy Tyler & cash (via NYK)
(Memphis obtains a friend of Marc's and decent PG in Calderon while acquiring a need at SF with Gallo.)

Sixers acquire - Andrea Bargnani
(Acquire an expiring for Thad Young)

Nuggets acquire - Thad Young & Iman Shumpert
(Turn Gallo into 2 quality pieces.)
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,675

Post#66 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 pm

DowNY wrote:Knicks acquire - Mike Conley & Tayshaun Prince

Grizzlies acquire - Jose Calderon, Danilo Gallinari, Thanasis Antek., Jeremy Tyler & cash (via NYK)
(Memphis obtains a friend of Marc's and decent PG in Calderon while acquiring a need at SF with Gallo.)

Knicks and Nuggets make out like bandits.

Sixers and Grizz get raped.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#67 » by DowNY » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
DowNY wrote:Knicks acquire - Mike Conley & Tayshaun Prince

Knicks and Nuggets make out like bandits.

Sixers and Grizz get raped.

Lol the Sixers sure but I figured Conley for all those players were a real decent return, I don't even count Prince as a loss. Memphis fans would give him away for free it seems.

The Sixers do it to purely dump Thad's extra year & help the tank.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#68 » by Fat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Knicks get jason Terry

Kings get Jr smith

Knicks clear more cap space for 2015

Kings get legit scoring off the bench (assuming Ben Mclemore gets the start)

Ray Mccaloum
Nik Stauskas
Jr Smith
D.Williams
C ????

it's basically a clear cap space move
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#69 » by Boarder Patrol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:Knicks get jason Terry (36yr old)

Kings get Jr smith

Knicks clear more cap space for 2015

Kings get legit scoring off the bench (assuming Ben Mclemore gets the start)

Ray Mccaloum
Nik Stauskas
Jr Smith
D.Williams
C ????

it's basically a clear cap space move

I'd ship JR for pretty much any expiring contract out there. This is fine with me - not so sure on the Kings end w/ Stauskas and McLemore being their biggest prospects.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#70 » by melo mvp 15 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 pm

There couldn't be a worst fit for JR than the Kings. He'd be surrounded by young, impressionable players and his immaturity would do more harm there than anywhere else. Not to mention, he'd take minutes from their last two lottery picks.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#71 » by Thorn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Eric Bledsoe is currently fighting for a max contract, I am not sure he is worthy of that kind of contract... but what do you think? Does he fit the system, and is he worth near max?

Do you think a sign and trade to send Amar'e home for him makes sense for u, if there is a larger trade involved to break up the logjam we have at the 2/3?

Granted the Suns could let him walk for nothing, or they could take a young prospect for him or a young defensive minded player in Iman...

Pipe dreams? Possibilities? Does the idea of "Amar'e coming home" to the Phoenix suns make them some money this year and allow him to go out as a member of the franchise that made him?
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#72 » by Fat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Knicks trade Jr smith to the Blazers for D.Wright & Freeland

Knicks trade Shump & Dalembert to the Pacers for Mahimi & Late 1st rounder
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#73 » by Johnny Hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Looked at most of the NBA rosters and didn't find many great trades for Shump.

In terms of roster balancing --- I think Phil is talking about someone to play the SF position backing up Melo.

Best deal I could come up with that would seem to fit needs for both teams was with OKC.

Shump for P-Jones III and A-Roberson.

Shump fills the Thabo role for OKC.

P-Jones can fight with Early for back-up SF minutes and he can also swing to the PF spot on occasion - he's a very skilled/athletic big man. A-Roberson basically provides what we were getting with Shump in terms of enerygy/defense and is advanced at this stage when compared to Greek 2. Roberson at 6"6" almost lead nation in rebounding at Colorado.

With Dally/Bargs/Cole/Stat/Smith and addition of Jones III I think we'd be ok up front.

Jones III and Roberson would represent $2.3M on cap next year and could easily be moved come the trade deadline.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#74 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 pm

the best Shump trade I can think of is the following mid-season trade following a strong run from him

NY trades Shump and JR Smith
OKC trade Perkins, Lamb and 2015 1st round pick expected to be 20-27

NY sheds cap for 2015, adds a good young player and OKC gets two quality guards
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#75 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:27 am

NoLayupRule wrote:the best Shump trade I can think of is the following mid-season trade following a strong run from him

Like the trade only problem is that If Iman is playing that well to net that kind of return we are most likely in the playoff hunt and no way Phil pulls a deal off that would harm chemistry or potentially make us worse short term if we're in the 3-5 range in the eastern conference. But, I've always been a Lamb fan and he would thrive with the catch and shoot opportunities provided in the triangle.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#76 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:the best Shump trade I can think of is the following mid-season trade following a strong run from him

Like the trade only problem is that If Iman is playing that well to net that kind of return we are most likely in the playoff hunt and no way Phil pulls a deal off that would harm chemistry or potentially make us worse short term if we're in the 3-5 range in the eastern conference. But, I've always been a Lamb fan and he would thrive with the catch and shoot opportunities provided in the triangle.

at some point around the deadline we have to reassess this season

will we make the playoffs? if we do how low a seed?

if were looking like a top 3 team in the east then I say you go forward and make trades in the offseason

if you are 5-8 or below then I say you strongly consider making moves that help you in the summer and beyond

if the knicks can move guys like Bargs to a team with needs and we can get a late 1st pick then do it
if the knicks can move Shump, get rid of Smith, and get quality in return then you do it

etc

i don't think we are a championship team this year - shocking, I know - so its a long term strategy
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#77 » by LJ4pointplay » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Bill Simmons proposed this trade on his podcast:

Rondo
Gerald Wallace

for

Amare
2018 first
2020 first

Just throwing that out there for those of you who want Rondo here.. (I don't).
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,327

Post#78 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 pm

I’d have to pass on Rondo. I don’t think Rondo’s a good fit here and I would be worried about his health. I could see Rondo as one of those guys who starts to decline around 30. Plus I think Ainge would ask for more.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by melo mvp 15 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

The major advantage is that Lamb still has a year left on his rookie deal (team option too), so we wouldn't be facing the restricted free agency situation until 2016. We could also let him walk by declining his team option, but for $3 mil I like him. So we turn Shumpert and JR who could take up $12 mil in 2015 capspace (although to be fair JR might opt out and Shumpert doesn't need be tended his QO) into Lamb who makes $3 mil in 2015 and a first who'll make around $1 mil. This works especially well if you think Tim is ready to be a full time starter by 2015-2016 and even more so if you think Lamb is capable back up. So we basically use that extra $9 mil in capspace elsewhere.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by melo mvp 15 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm

LJ4pointplay wrote:Bill Simmons proposed this trade on his podcast:

Rondo
Gerald Wallace

for

Amare
2018 first
2020 first

Just throwing that out there for those of you who want Rondo here.. (I don't).

I was begging for something like this last year. I always said that we can offer Boston something that's more valuable than most assume- we can turn those bad Wallace and Green contracts into expirers.

Although, now I wouldn't even do this. Not only do I not want to lose 2 firsts and hamper a lot of our flexibility on Wallace, but I think with Calderon and Larkin our PG need is mostly satisfied. Obviously Rondo is a lot better... but is he "enough better" to justify the cost? I don't think so. Especially when you factor in fit.

And with the 2015 off-season less than a year away, I really think we'd be better off going into this year with what we have and trying to use our capspace/assets then... instead of using them when they're of lower value now and allow us to have less flexibility. I mean best case scenario, what does Rondo even do for us next year? He helps our playoff positioning and might get us a 4th or 5th seed, but I can't see that squad going far.... and there's like no room for improvement outside of the MLE since you sacrifice so much future capspace and picks for him.

Return to New York Knicks