ImageImageImageImageImage

Canelo Alverez vs Lara- Golden Boy(GARBAGE) Event

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

nowetdio45
Sophomore
And1: 40

Re: Canelo Alverez vs Lara- Golden Boy(GARBAGE) Event 

Post#21 » by nowetdio45 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 am

fresko024 wrote:I def think Lara out boxed Canelo and was robbed. I think that 117-111 card was a joke

Another example that styles makes fights. Alvarez came forward and initiated the fight. He threw more punches.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,613

Post#22 » by Butch718 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 am

I have no problems with anyone saying that Lara won. It was a close fight that could have been scored either way depending on what your criteria was for scoring the fight. But what I do take issue with are those that are claiming that Lara got robbed. He only landed 10 more punches than Canelo, that's not even one more punch per round on average. It's pretty insignificant in a 12 round fight. What people fail to state is that Canelo landed 36 more power punches. Boxing fans get too caught up in punch stats to the head. Attacking the body can be just as effective. You want to know why it can be just as effective? Because Canelo's punches to Lara's body discouraged him from planting himself and committing to his punches, which is why he spent most of the fight on his bike and pot shotting.

And let's not get it twisted. What Lara did last night was not the sweet science, nor did he do enough(massive understatement) to convincingly win the fight. Even defensive wizards and master ring technicians like Mayweather and Rigo stay in the pocket every now and then. Not only do they do that, but they manage to evade punches, while fully committing to their own. You want an example of a fight where one boxer completely out boxing another fighter? Look no further than Floyd/Canelo and Rigo/Donaire. All Lara did was stay on back peddle the entire fight. That may be enough to win you points in the amateurs and the Olympics, but that's not good enough to win a prize fight on a PPV stage. Quite frankly, he did himself a disservice by fighting the way he did because no one is going to want to see a rematch or see him in another PPV ever again. Hell he might even have problems getting money fights on late night Showtime cards. Lara had a chance to make a name for himself against one of the biggest names in the sport, and he failed to do so. His pre-fight rhetoric of promising to break Canelo's face was a joke because he fought like a guy that was afraid to take risks.

And lastly, yes that 117-111 score was bad. But in the end, Lara didn't fight like a guy that came to make a statement. While Canelo might be an extremely flawed fighter, I actually respect him for more trying to engage and make something out of the fight.
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 554

Canelo Alverez vs Lara- Golden Boy(GARBAGE) Event 

Post#23 » by Signature NYK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Butch718 wrote:I have no problems with anyone saying that Lara won. It was a close fight that could have been scored either way depending on what your criteria was for scoring the fight. But what I do take issue with are those that are claiming that Lara got robbed. He only landed 10 more punches than Canelo, that's not even one more punch per round on average. It's pretty insignificant in a 12 round fight. What people fail to state is that Canelo landed 36 more power punches. Boxing fans get too caught up in punch stats to the head. Attacking the body can be just as effective. You want to know why it can be just as effective? Because Canelo's punches to Lara's body discouraged him from planting himself and committing to his punches, which is why he spent most of the fight on his bike and pot shotting.

And let's not get it twisted. What Lara did last night was not the sweet science, nor did he do enough(massive understatement) to convincingly win the fight. Even defensive wizards and master ring technicians like Mayweather and Rigo stay in the pocket every now and then. Not only do they do that, but they manage to evade punches, while fully committing to their own. You want an example of a fight where one boxer completely out boxing another fighter? Look no further than Floyd/Canelo and Rigo/Donaire. All Lara did was stay on back peddle the entire fight. That may be enough to win you points in the amateurs and the Olympics, but that's not good enough to win a prize fight on a PPV stage. Quite frankly, he did himself a disservice by fighting the way he did because no one is going to want to see a rematch or see him in another PPV ever again. Hell he might even have problems getting money fights on late night Showtime cards. Lara had a chance to make a name for himself against one of the biggest names in the sport, and he failed to do so. His pre-fight rhetoric of promising to break Canelo's face was a joke because he fought like a guy that was afraid to take risks.

And lastly, yes that 117-111 score was bad. But in the end, Lara didn't fight like a guy that came to make a statement. While Canelo might be an extremely flawed fighter, I actually respect him for more trying to engage and make something out of the fight.

Well said Butch very well said.

I still thought Lara won on my scorecard 7-5 mostly with his early rounds and Landing much cleaner in the Championship rounds.

Lara definitely hurt his image but I do believe that if they fought again he would be more aggressive and take bigger risks knowing that the judges won't favor his fighting style.

Now can he survive going toe to toe with Canelo? Idk but he's gonna have to stay in the pocket and hit without being hurt to win. Much like Floyd did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

those cubans, outside of like gamboa, mike perez and solis, are terrible for boxing. nobody wants to watch that sht. that's why he lost. he won more of the rounds on my card but this isn't amateur boxing anymore. fighting to "score points" doesn't fly anymore. it's not good enough to be excellent, they have to be attractive so that people want to see them and fighters want to fight them. i wouldn't be surprised if lara got rigondeaux'ed from now on. canelo was his shot and he stunk up the fight. lara is capable of being a defensive counterpuncher without being a runner. i've seen him do it but he chose to run. he blew his chance.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#25 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Signature NYK wrote:
Butch718 wrote:I have no problems with anyone saying that Lara won. It was a close fight that could have been scored either way depending on what your criteria was for scoring the fight. But what I do take issue with are those that are claiming that Lara got robbed. He only landed 10 more punches than Canelo, that's not even one more punch per round on average. It's pretty insignificant in a 12 round fight. What people fail to state is that Canelo landed 36 more power punches. Boxing fans get too caught up in punch stats to the head. Attacking the body can be just as effective. You want to know why it can be just as effective? Because Canelo's punches to Lara's body discouraged him from planting himself and committing to his punches, which is why he spent most of the fight on his bike and pot shotting.

Well said Butch very well said.

I still thought Lara won on my scorecard 7-5 mostly with his early rounds and Landing much cleaner in the Championship rounds.

Lara definitely hurt his image but I do believe that if they fought again he would be more aggressive and take bigger risks knowing that the judges won't favor his fighting style.

Now can he survive going toe to toe with Canelo? Idk but he's gonna have to stay in the pocket and hit without being hurt to win. Much like Floyd did

canelo won't and shouldn't give him another chance. he's not falling for that trap again.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Butch718
RealGM

Post#26 » by Butch718 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Signature NYK wrote:Well said Butch very well said.

I respect your scorecard and anyone else that thought Lara edged it out.

The thing is Canelo isn't going to grant him a rematch and quite frankly I wouldn't blame him. He had one chance to make an impression and he failed to do so. Boxing is a business as much as it is a sport. If this were the amateurs or the Olympics his style would totally be acceptable. But in reality the majority of those that actually follow and watch the sport won't appreciate that kind of fighting style. There's going to be absolutely no demand for another fight. Lara could have stuck to a game plan of sticking and moving, while engaging at the same time. But he he was way too inactive with his offensive output. You don't win major prize fights against one of the biggest names of the sports by being that timid and conservative. You just don't.

Lara took risks in his fight against Angulo and even though he got caught and hurt, he won a lot of respect for trading with Angulo in the process. He actually committed to his punches and landed good combos. But against Canelo he was too timid to engage in anything meaningful, to the point where he was just running the entire night. That's not the sweet science, that's just sh*tting the bed on the biggest fight of your life. Which was pretty lame because he talked so much trash leading up to it, which led people to believe that he was actually going to put on a clinic, which he did not.
NYSport
Sixth Man
And1: 45

Post#27 » by NYSport » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 pm

ManualRam wrote:those cubans, outside of like gamboa, mike perez and solis, are terrible for boxing...

Speaking of which, I'm surprised the Crawford/Gamboa fight didn't get much attention here. That was definitely the best fight I saw all year.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#28 » by poeman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Boxing is dead.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#29 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 pm

NYSport wrote:
ManualRam wrote:those cubans, outside of like gamboa, mike perez and solis, are terrible for boxing...

Speaking of which, I'm surprised the Crawford/Gamboa fight didn't get much attention here. That was definitely the best fight I saw all year.

sick fight. crawford looks like a future star. he's got tremendous versatility, adaptability and equal grit. gamboa made more fans and created more intrigue in defeat. gamboa's exciting and vulnerable which should make for more dates and good fights for him, whereas lara will likely be benched even if he really won. it's the same thing that happened to rigo in victory. yeah he beat nonito, but nobody wants to watch him which is why he's out in china and fighting on some spanish channel i've never heard of.
this is prizefighting. you fight like you're still an amateur, you get treated like an amateur.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Butch718
RealGM

Post#30 » by Butch718 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 am

Crawford is the truth. I'd love to see him move up to 140 and fight Broner or Garcia or face Mikey Garcia at 135.
NYSport
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by NYSport » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:10 am

ManualRam wrote:sick fight. crawford looks like a future star. he's got tremendous versatility, adaptability and equal grit. gamboa made more fans and created more intrigue in defeat. gamboa's exciting and vulnerable which should make for more dates and good fights for him, whereas lara will likely be benched even if he really won. it's the same thing that happened to rigo in victory. yeah he beat nonito, but nobody wants to watch him which is why he's out in china and fighting on some spanish channel i've never heard of.
this is prizefighting. you fight like you're still an amateur, you get treated like an amateur.

Agreed 100%. Both fighters came out and fought with a nice mixture of technicality and tenacity, and made for a very, very entertaining fight. As a result both guys should see their stock rise (Crawford's significantly so). Your summation of Crawford is perfectly put. I can't remember the last time I saw a fighter switch stances and commit to it the way he did. Not only did he win, but he went from losing rounds before the switch, to taking even more punishment immediately after the switch, to dominating to the point of a TKO victory.

Butch718 wrote:Crawford is the truth. I'd love to see him move up to 140 and fight Broner or Garcia or face Mikey Garcia at 135.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those fights. Looking forward to the HBO cards on the the 25th too.
goldenbrandon
Senior
And1: 106

Post#32 » by goldenbrandon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 am

AlphakirA wrote:
goldenbrandon wrote:U paid for that??? Stream2u.com for all fights. Mayweather only fight I buy, stream everything else. I was watching power on stars anyway

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Why would Mayweather be the only one you pay for?! Most of his fights are garbage or turn into garbage. I guess you're just a fan of his? At least with Pacquiao fights the undercards are usually solid.

Every time he fights is history. He dominates his opponents and anytime one of them win a few rounds it's considered a close fight. He makes champion fighters look bad. I may order a PAC man fight depending on opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Hieronymus Bosh
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#33 » by Hieronymus Bosh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:43 am

other way around...Mayweather (showtime) undercards are great, pac (HBO) undercards are crap.

I respect Mayweather, but I am usually more interested in the undercard when he fights..
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#34 » by fresko024 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:09 am

nowetdio45 wrote:
fresko024 wrote:I def think Lara out boxed Canelo and was robbed. I think that 117-111 card was a joke

Another example that styles makes fights. Alvarez came forward and initiated the fight. He threw more punches.

He didn't throw way more punches though. The difference was minuscule.
Romans 8:1-4
Butch718
RealGM

Post#35 » by Butch718 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 am

NYSport wrote:

It's close. I'd rank it ahead of Guerrero's fight with that Japanese guy. But it's neck and neck with Matthysse/Molina.
Najeem27
General Manager
And1: 2,399

Post#36 » by Najeem27 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Butch718 wrote:
NYSport wrote:

It's close. I'd rank it ahead of Guerrero's fight with that Japanese guy. But it's neck and neck with Matthysse/Molina.

Gamboa wasn't boxing, he was fighting in the streets lol. He wasn't listening to trainer either and was throwing wild punches with his chin up.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#37 » by C.Boshly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 pm

fullermd wrote:Spent $65.00 on this event last night...... My assessment is that it was straight GARBAGE. It was the worst PPV boxing event that I ever purchased. The Cuban ran from Canelo all night, and rare stopped to through anything definitive. He pot shot Canelo continuously, but never set down on punches to get some respect from the Mexican fighter (who looks Irish). I was super unimpressed with the undercard as well.. But, I was willing to live with a poor undercard, as long as the main event delivered. GOLDEN BOY, PUT ON A STRAIGHT GARBAGE EVENT LAST NIGHT. Never again..... I will wait a week to watch the replay.
The Cuban boxer was elusive, but that was all that he was, he had a 1-2 combination, right jab-straight left hand.. that's it. No right hook, (he is a south paw), no right upper cut, no right cross, no over hand right, just one-two. The CUBAN SUCKED.. I have lost respect for Cuban fighters based on the fact that he missed part of the equation for the sweet science: "Hit and Don't Get Hit".... He got the don't get hit down pretty good, because he ran his azz off all night, but the Hit part is what he missed. Bottom line, if he would have set down on his punches a few times to get Canelo's respect, he would have won the fight easily. I still think the fight was close, but the Cuban didn't sit down on anything.

You should have known that the event could turn into a dud.

Lara is one of the most cautious boxers out there and Canelo is not really a brawler but is perceived to be for some reason.

I was pretty confident the event would not live up to expectations but I did expect a slightly more positive effort from Lara. He never got Canelo's respect!
FerreroRocherrr
Pro Prospect
And1: 456

Post#38 » by FerreroRocherrr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 am

Pacman vs Algieri Nov 22

Wtf has Algieri done to get that fight?
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 554

Post#39 » by Signature NYK » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:34 am

NYSport wrote:

Forreal

https://www.snappytv.com/tc/253613?auto ... 4193&w=435

NYSport
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by NYSport » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:32 am

Butch718 wrote:
NYSport wrote:

Just caught those fights... I would have to concur.

Return to New York Knicks