ImageImageImageImageImage

OT NYC Cops Choke Man Resulting in Death

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,116

Re: OT NYC Cops Choke Man Resulting in Death 

Post#101 » by E86 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 pm

More cop are killed by people per year than people killed by cops. I don't absolve them for an illegal choke hold but I don't blame them for getting defensive in that situation.

But f*ck the police and all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,692

Post#102 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:43 pm

E86 wrote:More cop are killed by people per year than people killed by cops. I don't absolve them for an illegal choke hold but I don't blame them for getting defensive in that situation.

Garner was no threat to them. He had no weapon. He hadn't even verbally threatened any of them. He just asked them to leave him alone and to stop harassing him.

I don't know anything about those stats or their relevancy to this situation.
Free Palestine
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#103 » by frogfood » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 pm

E86 wrote:More cop are killed by people per year than people killed by cops. I don't absolve them for an illegal choke hold but I don't blame them for getting defensive in that situation.

SOURCE?
Gregory151
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#104 » by Gregory151 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:00 pm

I dont know if you guys saw this already, this is the rest of the footage, after he was unconscience :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIgVU2nm1Lo[/youtube]

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.1873033

-----

Court records show that within the past two years, three men sued Daniel Pantaleo — the officer seen wrapping his arm around Garner's neck — over allegedly unlawful, racially motivated arrests. Garner was black.

In the first lawsuit, settled by the city in January, two black men accused Pantaleo and other officers of arresting them without cause and subjecting them to a "humiliating and unlawful strip search" on the street in which they were ordered to "pull their pants and underwear down, squat and cough." The men said they were held overnight on charges that were ultimately dismissed.

In a second lawsuit, a man accused Pantaleo and other officers of misrepresenting facts in a police report and other documents to substantiate charges that also were dismissed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/1 ... 02742.html
"We’ll find a way to either make him a very useful player in our organization, or whatever"
E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,116

Post#105 » by E86 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Garner was no threat to them. He had no weapon. He hadn't even verbally threatened any of them. He just asked them to leave him alone and to stop harassing him.

Because it's easy to sit back and analyze the situation from the comfort of our homes, especially when we don't know the cops history or the guys history.

Those that naturally side with the cops will project their mindset into the situation and those that side with the guy will project theirs.

It's an unfortunate situation that won't be addressed by knee jerk reactions and calls for those officers to be electrocuted like some have posted here.

I truly empathize with both perspectives of the cops and Garner. There's just no easy answers here that will correct this type of situations from happening again.

james vincent
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#106 » by james vincent » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 am

D-HarpersNose wrote:This is what happens when thugs murder a cop and the murderer gets memorialized like in NJ. Cops begin to lose sympathy for folks real fast.

What does that incident have to do with this at all? The victim didn't do anything at all and even if he was charged for marijuana possession and illegal cigarettes, the officers had no right to place a chokehold on him. I'll admit that he overreacted to being charged, but the excessive force was uncalled for. There are other ways of subduing someone without resulting in their death(s).
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,692

Post#107 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:24 am

E86 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Because it's easy to sit back and analyze the situation from the comfort of our homes, especially when we don't know the cops history or the guys history.

Those that naturally side with the cops will project their mindset into the situation and those that side with the guy will project theirs.

It's an unfortunate situation that won't be addressed by knee jerk reactions and calls for those officers to be electrocuted like some have posted here.

I truly empathize with both perspectives of the cops and Garner. There's just no easy answers here that will correct this type of situations from happening again.

Having either represented the police department of a major metropolitan city and it's officers, the FOP or sued police officers at different time over the course of 25 years, I can tell you that this is not a difficult case from my perspective - I actually think it's a clear case, period. We have video. Did you see it? The office for use a chokehold which was outlawed by the department may you go for a very good reason and that reason is that he could kill someone. Which it did in this case.

What more do you need to know.
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#108 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
E86 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Having either represented the police department of a major metropolitan city and it's officers, the FOP or sued police officers at different time over the course of 25 years, I can tell you that this is not a difficult case from my perspective - I actually think it's a clear case, period. We have video. Did you see it? The office for use a chokehold which was outlawed by the department may you go for a very good reason and that reason is that he could kill someone. Which it did in this case.

What more do you need to know.

Yet I would bet money this cop does not do jail time.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#109 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:39 am

Being a cop is a dangerous profession that people choose voluntarily. Some of the people that they have to deal with are the scum of the scum, people that you or I wouldn't want to have anything to do with, but again, this is a choice that each one of them made before putting on the uniform. It's a shame if any cop dies at the hands of some human POS, but it doesn't give any police officer the right to take what happens to their "brothers and sisters" out on the citizens they deal with.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Boik14
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#110 » by Boik14 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 am

A few points....

1. Im not a cop but I know chokeholds by cops have been barred since 1988 in NYC. The cop that may have used a choke, if the judges and Internal Affairs (whoever gets to him first) see it as one, will probably be suspended. Just an opinion on the latter part.

2. After 31 arrests, the guy whould have known better to resist. He didnt deserve to die, but if he hadnt been doing something illegal in the first place they arent having that discussion in the first place. Wrong place, wrong time seems to be the story of that guys life. You make your own destiny imo.

3. Cops are going to have a long leash in any type of confrontational situation because they dont know who theyre dealing with. Its not a perfect system but if people comply they can always take action against the cop later on if its found to be unjust. Let your lawyer do the talking.
BAT 13 Picks - Lakers picks remaining: 323, 338

PG: Brandon Jennings/Tyus Jones
SG: Lance Stephenson/Evan Fournier
SF: Rudy Gay/Perry Jones
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Julius Randle/Kris Humphries
C: Chris Bosh/Josh McRoberts
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#111 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 am

A cop got what he deserved but I won't carry that attitude "#%^%" all cops because I have worked ED in Detroit during the 90s, a soft crime friendly city and in NYC, a super aggressive police force and it's unquestionable in terms of how the two cities operate.

Back when Detroit Mayor Archer was in charge, I worked ED as three cops came in shot up on Gratiot and 8 mile. The first cop we received had a hole in his face where I could fit my fist through. Dead on arrival. Second cop died later that night, he had multiple holes through his chest. The third was in a coma and made it out with severe brain damage. Great job for $35K a year in 1995 back when the country was filthy rich.

Turns out what those cops pulled over, a stolen van what police believed were full of women abducted by going house to house. When the cops pulled them over they opened up using armor piercing bullets. How do I know this? On the way to check in my parents, I saw the abandoned police car full of bullets that looked like a Michael Bay movie.

And now there's nothing left to kill in Detroit, those thugs have moved onto Chicago.

You look at a piece of fecal matter Chicago has become...a city that has had MORE deaths due to gun crimes than the Iraq invasion over the last TEN years. I love the protests in Chicago, "We don't want to be NYC!" Ok, 47 MORE shot over the weekend.

I came from a rough part of town...and I always say EACH case is individual.

So no, I don't hate all cops because you don't know what you're walking into every day/night.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#112 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:02 pm

E86 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Sounds like a cop out
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#113 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Boik14 wrote:A few points....

1. Im not a cop but I know chokeholds by cops have been barred since 1988 in NYC. The cop that may have used a choke, if the judges and Internal Affairs (whoever gets to him first) see it as one, will probably be suspended. Just an opinion on the latter part.

2. After 31 arrests, the guy whould have known better to resist. He didnt deserve to die, but if he hadnt been doing something illegal in the first place they arent having that discussion in the first place. Wrong place, wrong time seems to be the story of that guys life. You make your own destiny imo.

3. Cops are going to have a long leash in any type of confrontational situation because they dont know who theyre dealing with. Its not a perfect system but if people comply they can always take action against the cop later on if its found to be unjust. Let your lawyer do the talking.

From everything I've read he was known by many of the cops as a low level offender. SI is fairly dense but compared to other boroughs it's way smaller. They way overreacted.

So you only get a suspension for using an illegal chokehold which resulted in the death of someone?

Cops should be trained to diffuse situations whenever possible not make them worse.

I don't often sympathize with people who are constantly out on the street. I've always felt that is a recipe for trouble, that being said it's pretty horrendous for someone to have to die over it.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#114 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm

The race hustlers are out in full force. From Al Sharpton to those that spew " the white man's the devil"

I really want to know what happened to the outrage or the marches for Officer Melvin Santiago when he was murdered? I didn't hear a peep from Sharpton over the death of Santiago. Why? Because he wasn't quote on quote black? He's a minority like you , Sharpton..you freaking race hustler.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#115 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
HixNixKnicksTix wrote:
nice to cut down a deceased man who did nothing wrong.

and 1 for you..... NOT!

Did nothing wrong, PFFT...he was arrested THIRTY TIMES. And if you noticed THAT was the undercover cop going to arrest him AGAIN for once again, doing something he shouldn't be doing in the first place selling cigarettes illegally.

THIRTY TIMES....that's more than Ferris Bueller called in sick in High School.

While he didn't deserve to die, when you are arrested THAT many times for something SO STUPID and avoidable, you gotta wonder...who's asking for it?

Supposedly that day he wasn't selling cigarettes.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#116 » by Workforce250 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm

The EMS at the 4:43 point of the video, knew the guy had no pulse, because she checked his wrist and then his carotid artery. No CPR was introduced or chest compressions. WHY?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#117 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:

If you've been arrested THIRTY times, you're not going to be pacing around like a psychiatric patient as the cops circle in. You KNOW the routine and on top of that, cops look at THAT behavior as resisting arrest and FURTHER incriminating yourself.

Again, guy didn't deserve to die but dude did himself NO favors with that behavior...I wonder if he had some mental retardation since he was a child...or some kind of mental illness because he was acting like a psychiatric patient being disorganized and not following instructions when the cops came at him at all directions. At that point, NO SANE man is stupid enough not to freeze, put your hands up, and say, "If I'm selling GO AHEAD...frisk me. I DARE YOU."

Let me give you a CLEARER example. Because security at airports can't pinpoint my race, I have gone through "RANDOM SELECTION SEARCH" over 18 times in the last 25 times I've flown. Not just in the USA...but in the UK and Germany. That's where they strip ya down, take DUST samples from your magazines (this is NOT an exaggeration).

Now, in those 18 times, I NEVER once backed away, got defensive, raised my tone, or delayed the search with my behavior. Why? Cause only an IDIOT thinks he can handle the # of guards that can fly out of that room behind the detector.

Yes, there's a risk they can plant something but either way...I'm at their mercy. I would let THEM win by resisting...THAT'S why I think the guy was mentally challenged.

So he's either guilty or mentally challenged....or who knows, BOTH. We'll find out sooner than later.

Workforce250 wrote:The EMS at the 4:43 point of the video, knew the guy had no pulse, because she checked his wrist and then his carotid artery. No CPR was introduced or chest compressions. WHY?

BEST DAMN POST in this entire THREAD.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#118 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:

If you've been arrested THIRTY times, you're not going to be pacing around like a psychiatric patient as the cops circle in. You KNOW the routine and on top of that, cops look at THAT behavior as resisting arrest and FURTHER incriminating yourself.

Again, guy didn't deserve to die but dude did himself NO favors with that behavior...I wonder if he had some mental retardation since he was a child...or some kind of mental illness because he was acting like a psychiatric patient being disorganized and not following instructions when the cops came at him at all directions. At that point, NO SANE man is stupid enough not to freeze, put your hands up, and say, "If I'm selling GO AHEAD...frisk me. I DARE YOU."

Let me give you a CLEARER example. Because security at airports can't pinpoint my race, I have gone through "RANDOM SELECTION SEARCH" over 18 times in the last 25 times I've flown. Not just in the USA...but in the UK and Germany. That's where they strip ya down, take DUST samples from your magazines (this is NOT an exaggeration).

Now, in those 18 times, I NEVER once backed away, got defensive, raised my tone, or delayed the search with my behavior. Why? Cause only an IDIOT thinks he can handle the # of guards that can fly out of that room behind the detector.

Yes, there's a risk they can plant something but either way...I'm at their mercy. I would let THEM win by resisting...THAT'S why I think the guy was mentally challenged.

Workforce250 wrote:The EMS at the 4:43 point of the video, knew the guy had no pulse, because she checked his wrist and then his carotid artery. No CPR was introduced or chest compressions. WHY?

BEST DAMN POST in this entire THREAD.

I see. Your the type that thinks you have to always absolutely follow authority. Not every police officer is trustworthy. When they want to screw with people they will invent charges just to arrest you or harass you.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#119 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I see. Your the type that thinks you have to always absolutely follow authority. Not every police officer is trustworthy. When they want to screw with people they will invent charges just to arrest you or harass you.

No. I don't trust ANYONE. Certainly in NYC, I've met MANY unsavory characters as coworkers and risk going to jail because I carry a license to treat human life.

BUT I KNOW how the corrupt think...and ESCALATING a situation NEVER entails a win for the losing side.

And I've DEALT with corrupt cops. Give you an example, it was quiet at the hosptital so at 0530 I took my break to get a bagel at what was once Giant Bagel at Union Square, the chains were down in the park...and I saw people sitting on the benches. So I sat down to eat my bagel, suddenly I saw the young people leaving and behind me there was a cop...

The cop starts grilling me, I show him my hospital ID...and he's ready to write me a $70 TICKET for loitering because I was in the park FIFTEEN minutes before it officially is open!!!!!

Now...should I RESIST or FIGHT? NO. He's MADE up his mind.

And he's Jamaican. Cops who are from Jamaican...you know how they run in Jamaica, if you can't pay them they take you to the precinct. Guy was going to call this in.

So I cooly said, "Alright, I'll go with you back to the precinct BUT see all those homeless people on the bench behind me sleeping? YOU GOTTA TAKE THEM TOO."

Suddenly he got OWNED...and gave me a warning and woke those homeless guys up.

THAT'S what I am talking about. You gotta use YOUR BRAIN when confronted by these cops.

And that's just ONE STORY in EIGHTEEN YEARS worth of stories. You have to KNOW how a cop thinks in order to differentiate them...and you only know how to do that if you work Fire, medical Military or police. SORRY.

It's not about going allong but how to get out of the TRAP by waiting for the loop hole to open.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#120 » by boomann21 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG59D9drJGY[/youtube]

Return to New York Knicks