ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Registered Nurse (associates degree) Pay and Job market!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

OT: Registered Nurse (associates degree) Pay and Job market! 

Post#1 » by Yodi2007 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:37 am

Hello everyone I am a nursing student who is bridging from LPN to RN and will be finished in November of 2015. I am currently living in south Georgia where the market is decent for RN'S but the pay in my opinion is dismal compared to Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina. Those states are where me and my wife found pretty bland compared to when we lived in California, Germany, and the Mid state Dirty Jersey ( military bases).

I'm wanting to know how is the market job and pay wise. Also how good are the nursing unions are ( GA has no unions here except a minor few)
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,975

Re: OT: Registered Nurse (associates degree) Pay and Job mar 

Post#2 » by BigShot Bojan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:45 am

In New York top hospitals pay 40/hour...it is very competitive market though...
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

Post#3 » by Yodi2007 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:20 am

Sounds good to because competitiveness is needed in this field! Some nurses i currently work with are too lazy to even pour the patients some water!
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#4 » by alphad0gz » Wed Aug 6, 2014 11:35 am

Yodi2007 wrote:Hello everyone I am a nursing student who is bridging from LPN to RN and will be finished in November of 2015. I am currently living in south Georgia where the market is decent for RN'S but the pay in my opinion is dismal compared to Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina. Those states are where me and my wife found pretty bland compared to when we lived in California, Germany, and the Mid state Dirty Jersey ( military bases).

I'm wanting to know how is the market job and pay wise. Also how good are the nursing unions are ( GA has no unions here except a minor few)

Most hospitals are non-union and the trend in hiring is to look for RNs with BS degrees. Wife works in Syracuse and makes 35+/hr. The pay in hospitals is good. Consider getting your BS.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#5 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 6, 2014 12:24 pm

Have you taken cost of living into account?
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:01 pm

KingDavid wrote:Have you taken cost of living into account?

Yeah. NY is extremely expensive to live in. I believe only San Francisco rated hire in terms of cost of living recently.

1 bedroom apartment in a semi decent area starts at around $1,200 a month right? Haven't rented in a long time.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#7 » by Meat » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:05 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Yeah. NY is extremely expensive to live in. I believe only San Francisco rated hire in terms of cost of living recently.

1 bedroom apartment in a semi decent area starts at around $1,200 a month right? Haven't rented in a long time.

i pay 2500 for 1br in lic.. that's semi decent in that there isnt a grocery store nor pharmacy within 3 miles
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#8 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:

I was born up there but I live in Miami. I have a lot of family up in NY. It's very expensive. Taxes are very high too. I'm thinking a 1-studio is closer to $2500 than to $1200 but maybe I'm exaggerating. You have to take neighborhoods into account as well. I'm leaning toward the OP knowing what he's getting into but it sounds like he completely ignored cost of living.
#HEATLifer

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#9 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:09 pm

Meat wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

i pay 2500 for 1br in lic.. that's semi decent in that there isnt a grocery store nor pharmacy within 3 miles
Jesus Christ man $2500 a month would get you a nice crib down here in FL. No grocery store or pharmacy for three miles is nuts. I'm surprised no one in your area took advantage of that.
#HEATLifer

poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#10 » by poeman » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:54 pm

Meat wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

$2,500 for a 1 bedroom?

What did you do, start renting in one of those converted buildings recently...That is alot, you can get $2,500 for a bedroom in a good place in Manhattan if you looked hard enough
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#11 » by Meat » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:58 pm

poeman wrote:
Meat wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

$2,500 for a 1 bedroom?

What did you do, start renting in one of those converted buildings recently...That is alot, you can get $2,500 for a bedroom in a good place in Manhattan if you looked hard enough

it's a new building, so it's got a doorman, balcony, modern appliances and finished rooftop deck. but it's still just a bit above average imo
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#12 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:00 pm

Nursing is the kind of career where your open to most of the USA. That's probably the best part about it. I would shop around and not necessarily look so heavily just in tri-state or ny-metro. Plenty of opportunities all over for RN's.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
poeman
General Manager

Post#13 » by poeman » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:03 pm

My Fiancee recently got her BSN from NYU, works for a prominent place in NY. It's hard work.

Truth is, MEN if you have the aptitude for science pursue a career as a Male Nurse. THE DEMAND IS OFF THE CHAINS
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:05 pm

poeman wrote:My Fiancee recently got her BSN from NYU, works for a prominent place in NY. It's hard work.

Truth is, MEN if you have the aptitude for science pursue a career as a Male Nurse. THE DEMAND IS OFF THE CHAINS

So they need male nurses? Any particular reason? I am at a crossroads career wise. I am definitely open to a change.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
poeman
General Manager

Post#15 » by poeman » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:14 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
poeman wrote:My Fiancee recently got her BSN from NYU, works for a prominent place in NY. It's hard work.

So they need male nurses? Any particular reason? I am at a crossroads career wise. I am definitely open to a change.

100%, there is a lack of them...Males in America are more and more studying to be nurses because people started throwing it in their face during the recession and in schools, and mainly online media ( you have no idea how often I see Yahoo homepage articles talking about top 10 careers to do and Nursing is #1)

I think the gender separation is huge in this field...My fiancee works with ALL FEMALE NURSES only. Can you imagine a company not hiring a male nurse? But can you imagine some families also feel more comfortable with males rather then females? It happens.

Also, one of the biggest reasons is we are hiring male nurses from places like the Philippines in this country, because again men think being in finance is a better career path then in medical nursing.

Trust me if you are at a cross roads do it! My little sister just finished her 1st year at City Tech and got into the Nursing Program that is tough to get into in community colleges in the city (Just get very good grades in class first year, pursue it, pass a exam and your in)

OR apply to a private school like NYU (They will select you trust me, because they need $$$) and study for the 2 year BSN program and start a new career in Nursing.
poeman
General Manager

Post#16 » by poeman » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:16 pm

Also, its required that you only work 4 days a week although they are good amount of hours (Fiancee works from 7AM to 5PM or 8AM to 6PM) and weekend days are sometimes needed.

Still $30 per hour and up for most starting
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#17 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:17 pm

I know a few schools offer a sped up program for people who already have a Bachelors. You just have to take the pre-reqs and then you can pretty much get your Nursing BS in a year, or year and a half. I know someone doing it. I'm starting to look into it.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
poeman
General Manager

Post#18 » by poeman » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:20 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I know a few schools offer a sped up program for people who already have a Bachelors. You just have to take the pre-reqs and then you can pretty much get your Nursing BS in a year, or year and a half. I know someone doing it. I'm starting to look into it.

My fiancee did that...She got her Bachelor's at St. John's and then went to NYU's BSN program and graduated in a year and half.

Time flew by bro...Then you take the licensing exam and you are ready for the medical world.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#19 » by AmazingJason » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:50 pm

KingDavid wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I was born up there but I live in Miami. I have a lot of family up in NY. It's very expensive. Taxes are very high too. I'm thinking a 1-studio is closer to $2500 than to $1200 but maybe I'm exaggerating. You have to take neighborhoods into account as well. I'm leaning toward the OP knowing what he's getting into but it sounds like he completely ignored cost of living.

NY is expensive, but it's also not if you have realistic expectations. When you're young, you do room shares because chances are you'll be working and playing hard all day long and you won't be in your place anyway. When you get a gf, then you can share a studio or 1BR and split the costs.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#20 » by AmazingJason » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:51 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:

Another occupation to consider is physician assistant.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee

Return to New York Knicks