ImageImageImageImageImage

Who would you start?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Crackerjack465
Senior
And1: 673

Re: Who would you start? 

Post#21 » by Crackerjack465 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:22 pm

PG - Jose
SG - Shump
SF - Melo
PF - Amare
C- Dally

I want to see Jose and Amare run the PnR with Bargs coming in as the first big man sub and JR/THj as the first guard/SF subs.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,604

Post#22 » by dakomish23 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Please don't start Dalembert. That guy should of been a backup for 5 years now. Is it more important to win games or raise trade value at this pt? If the latter, make sure Bargs and JR get 30 mpg. If you wanna develop young guys and win more now I'd move JR and play the below:

Calderon 23 min / Larkin 20 min / Prigs 10 min
Shump 22 min / THJ 21 min
Melo 32 min / Early 16 min
Amare 25 mins / JSmith 20 mins / Acy 8 mins
Bargs 25 mins / Dalembert 20 mins
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,334

Post#23 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:34 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Please don't start Dalembert. That guy should of been a backup for 5 years now. Is it more important to win games or raise trade value at this pt? If the latter, make sure Bargs and JR get 30 mpg. If you wanna develop young guys and win more now I'd move JR and play the below:

No Aldrich or JR? I doubt that happens. Aldrich showed a knack for the psiton in SL and will get minutes this season. I think we see Acy/Outlaw/Dalembert in streets before we see Aldrich/JR and Outlaw rocking suits.
:beer: RIP mags
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#24 » by Boarder Patrol » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Bargs sucked at PF last year beyond belief, nobody should want him back there. He isn't a floor spacer as a PF. His role is as a C with decent range and good man to man defense. He needs to play next to Smith in the 2nd unit who can do the dirty work for him (of course, then Aldrich is getting spot minutes while he should be a high minute backup but Barg is getting 12 million while he's getting the minimum so I guess you have to do it.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#25 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:Bargs sucked at PF last year beyond belief, nobody should want him back there. He isn't a floor spacer as a PF. His role is as a C with decent range and good man to man defense. He needs to play next to Smith in the 2nd unit who can do the dirty work for him (of course, then Aldrich is getting spot minutes while he should be a high minute backup but Barg is getting 12 million while he's getting the minimum so I guess you have to do it.

I agree that Bargs should be on the second unit playing C. I don't want to see Aldrich getting BS garbage time minutes. I think he will be a solid contributor for us this season.

The money issue is true between Bargs and Aldrich...but not Dalembert and Aldrich. I see the youth getting a shot and Dalembert being a SOLID insurance policy and someone to practice against as well. If Aldrich can't beat him out that is a different story. I believe he will. Dalembert isn't know as a high IQ player and Aldrich showed he can play in the triangle in SL. He was great with the outlet passes. Defends the rim and the paint and rebounds aggressively. Not a foul machine.

PJ has mentioned Amar'e at C as well. Where are those minutes coming from?
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,097

Post#26 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 pm

if i were the coach, it would look like this:

jose calderon
iman shumpert
carmelo anthony
amar'e stoudemire
jason smith

i would love to put dalembert as the starting C for dirty work, but someone needs to be able to pass out of the post. it ain't him. maybe cole aldrich gets the job for that reason if coach feels there is enough firepower in the starting lineup. problem is, that 5 needs to be able to hit a 10-footer with regularity. i've seen cole hit a few, but i'm not sure he's polished enough a shooter to rely on for even 4 of those per game.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,097

Post#27 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:06 pm

isiah_thomas wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:PF Stat
SF Melo
C Dalembert
SG THJr
PG Calderon

I prefer JR off the bench and I'd use Shump as Melo's backup at the 3. Bargs, Jason Smith and Cole backup the 5, Melo plays a lot of 4, Prigs backs up Jose.

tht backcourt is awful on defense.

atrocious. shumpert absolutely has to start.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,874

Post#28 » by NoLayupRule » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:22 pm

I think its impossible to say before we get to training camp and see both who is in shape and who is working in the triangle and if this team is going big or small, i.e. Melo at the 3 or 4.

for example Bargs may be great in the triangle or he may just suck like always
amare may be the starting center on this team in the triangle
THjr may be our SG/SF with Shump

very hard to tell

However Im assuming we go big since Melo has trimmed down and we do in fact see Amare as a starting center

I think the balance requires a banger and rebounder with Amare so that pushes Jason Smith up the chain
In the backcourt I think Shump is a lock with Jose but JR could be making a case

overall Ill bet we see

Calderon
Shump
Melo
Smith
Amare

bench

Larkin
THjr
JR
Bargs
Dally or Aldridge depending

Prigs and Early and Acy can move up that ladder pretty easily in fact Pablo may play over Larkin especially early on
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,162

Post#29 » by Besart19 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Calderon / Larkin / Prigs
Shump / Smith / Outlaw
Melo / THJ / Early
Smith / Bargs / Acy
Amare / Dally / Aldrich
Strength and Honour!
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#30 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Smith/Dally/Aldrich
Stat/Bargs/Acy
Melo/THJ/Outlaw/Early
Shump/JR
Jose/Prigs/Larkin

-All of our starting positions are up for grabs with the exception of Melo.

-I'd like to see Smith start at 5 because he can give Melo and Stat decent spacing with his mid-range shot. He is tough and rebounds well. And he can switch to the 4 if Amare is looking better at the 5.

-Shump is there for his D, even if it's not as good as in his rookie year it's still better than Jr and THJ. His ability to hit the 3 ball is also why I give him the starting nod, he just needs to find consistency.

-STat and Melo CAN work IF they are NOT on the same side of the floor unless they are involved in a PnR (which we will hopefully see more of) or playing a post to wing two- man game.

-I have Cole slotted 3rd in the C spot for now but I think he'll see decent minutes (18+) throughout the year because we are sure to have injuries with Bargs and Stat in the same team.

-Because of our glut at SG I currently see THJ backing up Melo and us going small for our second unit.

-JR is a 6th man whether he likes it or not hopefully he just plays his role or is traded.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,604

Post#31 » by dakomish23 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Please don't start Dalembert. That guy should of been a backup for 5 years now. Is it more important to win games or raise trade value at this pt? If the latter, make sure Bargs and JR get 30 mpg. If you wanna develop young guys and win more now I'd move JR and play the below:

No Aldrich or JR? I doubt that happens. Aldrich showed a knack for the psiton in SL and will get minutes this season. I think we see Acy/Outlaw/Dalembert in streets before we see Aldrich/JR and Outlaw rocking suits.

My fault about Aldrich. Gotta adjust the numbers because I def want to see him get at least 15 mins. Bringing Bargs down to 20 with some time at the 4, move Acy to strictly limited minutes when needed, Dalembert down to 15 and Aldrich gets 10 there and 5 away from JSmith.

I said if JR gets moved. If not, he'll get mins at the backup SF spot but will push CEarly out then. I want to see our young guys get burn.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,807

Post#32 » by Fat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:39 pm

i need to see some pre-season games to get a better idea on who should be starting. Right now the only guys that should be locked in as starters is Calderon & Melo.. Maybe even Dalembert considering he's our best rim protector and our defense is already shallow
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#33 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:58 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

My fault about Aldrich. Gotta adjust the numbers because I def want to see him get at least 15 mins. Bringing Bargs down to 20 with some time at the 4, move Acy to strictly limited minutes when needed, Dalembert down to 15 and Aldrich gets 10 there and 5 away from JSmith.

I said if JR gets moved. If not, he'll get mins at the backup SF spot but will push CEarly out then. I want to see our young guys get burn.

I missed the JR traded part. I also think he should be backup SF with the depth we have at SG. I think Acy/Outlaw/Dally end up as suits. Very limited roles here because we are stacked with bench players but short on starters.

Of course this is all depending what we see in pre season.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,003

Post#34 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Calderon- best PG on the team

Shumpert- not most talented but you almost have to sandwich a defender/hustle guy between Calderon and...

Anthony- no explanation needed

Stat- he's still our best PF and sure he gets hurt but you ride the wheels till they fall off. Plus all stats show we're worse with Bargnani starting. Better offensive and defensive eff without him. Plus people forget that Bargs is more injury prone than Amare

Dalembert- our best C period. And if you don't like it then our Cs just suck....and I don't deny that but he's still our best C.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,469

Post#35 » by rajajackal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Cole/Bargnani
Amar'e/Smith
Melo/THJ
JR/Shumpert
Calderon/Larkin

Reserve: Prigioni, Early, Dalembert, Acy, Outlaw

If players fight it out and shake up the depth throughout the season, so be it. This is the squad I'd give a shot starting out
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#36 » by Meat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 pm

calderon
thj
melo
smith
barg
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#37 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:17 pm

rajajackal wrote:Cole/Bargnani
Amar'e/Smith
Melo/THJ
JR/Shumpert
Calderon/Larkin

Reserve: Prigioni, Early, Dalembert, Acy, Outlaw

If players fight it out and shake up the depth throughout the season, so be it. This is the squad I'd give a shot starting out

I agree with the FC But I swap THJr and JR and Shump gets the start. More balance between off/def and Smith is better suited to backup Melo and allow Shump/THJr to grow as SG.

Unless Shump gets a look at PG. Then it really shakes things up. I just don't think he has the vision and passing ability to run a team.

I really want to see Aldrich/Jason Smith in the FC together at some point.
three2theD
Banned User
And1: 465

Post#38 » by three2theD » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 pm

PG: Calderon or maybe Larkin (depending on who plays better in TC)
SG: Hardaway
SF: Melo
PF: Martin (if he's still here, I think he will be)
C: Bargs

Everyone's going to say horrible defense, whatever, I think this lineup gives us our best shot at wining.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:26 pm

I want to see an all young lineup this pre season. Larkin/THJr/Early/Acy/Aldrich
I also want to see the defensive lineup Larkin/Shump/Acy/Smith/Aldrich
The evr favorite scoring but no D lineup Calderon/Smith/Melo/Amar'e/Bargnani(Switch Bargs and Amar'e if you want)

There is a lot of depth on this team but only one SOLID star. There is Melo and then the rest. That is a really great foundation to build on after the season or mid season. We will obviously see more moves made before we hit FA next year. As of now we are Division contenders and that is our ceiling.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#40 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Fascinating thread. Lots of combinations, and lots make sense. We have more depth this season than in a long time. Other than Acy, Prigs, Larkin, Early and Outlaw you could probably make a good argument for anyone else starting.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall

Return to New York Knicks