ImageImageImageImageImage

Shump restoring leg, shunning social media

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#1 » by 2010 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 am

ARDSLEY, N.Y. -– New York Knicks guard Iman Shumpert is spending his offseason working on strengthening his surgically repaired left knee and staying off social media.

Shumpert, speaking at his Citi Basketball Procamp at House of Sports on Tuesday, said he wants to be able to feel confident leaping off one leg -- something he couldn’t do last season. He has been strengthening his left leg, which sustained a torn ACL during his rookie season and a sprained MCL last season.

“All I’ve been working on is getting that trust in my left leg to take off from farther and take off earlier and use it a lot more cutting and slashing to the basket,” said Shumpert, who has been working out this offseason in Florida. “Definitely trusting going off two legs than going off one leg last year. ... This year I want to go off one leg just as much as I go off two.”

Meanwhile, Shumpert has stayed off social media this summer to steer clear of hearing trade rumors in which he is mentioned since last season ended.

“I used to react to it,” Shumpert said of trade rumors. “That along with too many people telling you what you need to be doing. It caused me to step away from social media. I let my agency run it now and I tell them what to put and they update it for me and follow along with what is going on.”

“I can’t have people always having their opinions floating my way,” Shumpert added. “I am done with that. I don’t have the apps on my phone.”

Shumpert is excited about the upcoming season with new coach Derek Fisher and the possibilities that come with playing in the triangle offense.

“I know this year in the offense I will have a lot more opportunities to cut and get to the basket,” said Shumpert, who averaged 6.7 points and 37.8 percent shooting last season. “I just want to work on the strength of my leg. Been working on that and being able to pull up off one or two dribbles [and working] on corner [3-pointers] and open 3s.”

Link

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Re: Shump restoring leg, shunning social media 

Post#2 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 am

I guess a good explanation for why he kind of looked shaky last year in regards to slashing/finishing at the rim (or worse than what I would expect from him...)...but I can't really say I foresee him being injury-free from here on out, also.

I like Shump, but IDK...
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#3 » by dakomish23 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 am

Rt now I'd settle for the Shump we saw his rookie year. He didn't just fall off a cliff. He fell, landed in a volcano then got blown to bits. I'm glad to see he's giving the social media a rest and finally focusing on his game more than his brand.

The Pjax effect
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#4 » by AmazingJason » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 am

Looks like he got tired of me spamming his Twitter to learn how to play basketball.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
knicksRback
Senior
And1: 33

Post#5 » by knicksRback » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 am

i tore my ACL on May 1st, got surgery on June 9th, i picked the hamstring graft, its been about 11 weeks since, anyone else here tear their ACL? im now just finally starting to get rid of my gait and walking better now

I feel for Shumpert.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#6 » by FemaleDogPlease » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:58 am

Contract year.
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#7 » by siar617 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:09 am

Im looking foward to seeing Shumpert take a big step in his game as a knick. System offense is perfect for him. Park ball aka our offense last year is more for guys like K Irving.
nyk97
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,219

Post#8 » by nyk97 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 am

felton literally never looked his way. confidence. his confidence was def also something that made last season what it was for him. felton is fat. like he said with more opportunities going his way in the system i dont see the shump we've been expecting but i see a shump we will appreciate alot more.
"im willing to ride or die for new york" -carl
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#9 » by 2010 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:39 am

mrpoetryNmotion wrote:I guess a good explanation for why he kind of looked shaky last year in regards to slashing/finishing at the rim (or worse than what I would expect from him...)...but I can't really say I foresee him being injury-free from here on out, also.

I like Shump, but IDK...

Shump looked shaky slashing/finishing even in his rookie year.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#10 » by Phish Tank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 am

According to the book of Phil, every player has a role. Shump knows his role, and knows he will get rewarded for executing his role to perfection

Sent from the mind of world peace
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#11 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 am

Positive signs of maturity and commitment to his game. What else do you want from him. He suffered undo stress under Woodson. That certainly affected his game. Especially with the coaching changes and the trade rumors.

If he is any good we will see improvement this season. I expect him to play better personally.
:beer: RIP mags
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#12 » by Adelheid » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:36 am

That is what Phil Jackson brings to the table...everyone else is put on notice.
GardenFaith
Senior
And1: 450

Post#13 » by GardenFaith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 am

We need Shumpert to step up this season, it's make or break for us see some progression and improve his offence.

I've never seen a guard miss so many layups!
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#14 » by Hijinks » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:26 am

shump is a good kid. he is willing to do what is neccessary to take the next step in his career. stepping away from social media could be a blessing. and he seems to know, what he has to work on. if he can be a realiable 3point shooter, that would help this team and his value a lot. as much hate as he gets, i am still a beliver in shump.
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
mamadontcry
Senior
And1: 342

Post#15 » by mamadontcry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 am

Adelheid wrote:That is what Phil Jackson brings to the table...everyone else is put on notice.

#Phil The Master
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#16 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am

Shump is going to make every one of the forum clowns who wanted Shump traded to the Clippers for Jared Dudley. I would rather have Dudley from Different Strokes than that clown.

*drops mic*
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#17 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:45 am

He clearly lost his lateral quickness last season. He was no longer that lockdown defender he was in his rookie season. I wonder if he'll be able to regain form next season.

Thing is, I think he's gone one way or the other. I just hope he bounces back and the Knicks can get a nice return for him.
GardenFaith
Senior
And1: 450

Post#18 » by GardenFaith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am

If Shump comes back this year and has not improved I think it's time for us knicks fans to face up to the fact that this is as good as it gets.

Shumpert >>> Greg Buckner/Trenton Hassell
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#19 » by Juggynaut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 am

It's his contract year, he better do well. I'm hoping for playoff Shump to come back.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#20 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 am

Worse case scenario Shump is what he is. GREAT bench help who can spot start and have reasonable contract rates.

Best case scenario he improves and thrives in the system and is a perfect fit next too Calderon Melo etc. He becomes "starter material"

Somewhere in between isn't that bad of a deal IMO. He might not be much better than he is but, that is a solid player if he can improve his drive to the basket and up his shot percentage. Role players have a place in this league and in this system.

I can't wait to see how the team fits together. It is difficult trying to guess how they will all play/fit.
:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks