ImageImageImageImageImage

USA Basketball vs. Ukraine

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,492

Re: USA Basketball vs. Ukraine NOW 11:30AM on ESPN2 

Post#21 » by KnicksGod » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:15 pm

suicidedeuce wrote:
il_knicks7 wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:But how did the player who doesn't play for the NY Knicks and who the world knows had two major knee injuries and hasn't played NBA caliber basketball in 2 seasons and that some of us are not-so-secretly hoping never fully recovers looked?

He's not the same player. Plain and simple.

That's entirely possible.

Why does it matter to Knicks fans?

Because sports is competition and fun, and not really serious, and umm the Bulls are one of the teams the Knicks match up against.

Boy that one was really complex.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,140

Post#22 » by Capn'O » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:19 pm

Your computer is definitely defecting, Shammgod.

suicidedeuce wrote:- Is there a hot debate occuring on this forum about Derick Rose's health I'm unaware of?

I dunno bro. You brought him up confrontationally in a thread where nobody had previously mentioned him so you tell me.

Many of you
some of you

"You people" eh? Oh, I gotcha bro. Loud and clear.

The "debate" is a manufactured conceit because some of your really, REALLY like the idea of Rose never fully recovering.

Utter nonsense. The majority of the posters in the "Around" thread that discuss Rose actually like him and his style of play and are disheartened that there is a good probability he won't get to reach his full potential. The eye rolling started this summer when multiple Bulls posters overran this forum, boasting the superteam that Melo had a chance to join. It was a load of crap. And yes, WE are getting a hint of schadenfreude watching those fans squirm.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 » by KnicksGod » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:20 pm

suicidedeuce wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
That crusty mofo is really gonna come on here and act like Rose's presence on the Bulls wasn't a HUGE part of how the media was selling "Melo to Chicago" this summer??? Knick fans countered that there's no guarantee of Rose's health and significant reasons to believe he may never be the same again. Those are the terms of a debate that he's not-so-secretly trying to shift from.

Shammgod - you may need to get a new computer. This one is defecting.

Whenever he responds to me now, it's invariably about him trying to make up for lost ground. But the lost ground is all his own doing -- that is to say, he made errors and misstatements, and I pointed them out to him (strongly yet without prejudice). But he wants to even some score because his debating points fell short. So it's a steady stream of contrarian non-sequiturs. It's LOL.

I didn't realize masturbation was permissable under the ToS.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,000

Post#24 » by god shammgod » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:27 pm

i feel bad for rose the person. it's a shame when any athlete is struck down by injury. but i won't lie, him not recovering helps the knicks and every other team in the east. this is a a competition after all. so you might say i have mixed feelings on the subject. that being said and putting all feelings aside, i honestly don't think he will ever regain his mvp form so i don't actually have to root for anything.
suicidedeuce
And1: 0

Post#25 » by suicidedeuce » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:40 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Because sports is competition and fun, and not really serious

Right, which is the HOPE you and others obviously have that Rose doesn't return to his pre-injury level of play is so misplaced and immature.

Knicks fans should be supportive of any player not losing his career or effectiveness to injury and should look forward to COMPETING against the Bulls and all their players at full strength.

Because sports is ... you know ... competition and fun and not really serious.

But I guess when others hear "fun" they hear "petty."
suicidedeuce

Post#26 » by suicidedeuce » Fri Sep 5, 2014 10:42 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Whenever he responds to me now, it's invariably about him trying to make up for lost ground. But the lost ground is all his own doing -- that is to say, he made errors and misstatements, and I pointed them out to him (strongly yet without prejudice). But he wants to even some score because his debating points fell short. So it's a steady stream of contrarian non-sequiturs. It's LOL.

I didn't realize masturbation was permissable under the ToS.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Can someone please pass the Kleenex to KG?
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 » by KnicksGod » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:28 pm

suicidedeuce wrote:

Right, which is the HOPE you and others obviously have that Rose doesn't return to his pre-injury level of play is so misplaced and immature.

Knicks fans should be supportive of any player not losing his career or effectiveness to injury and should look forward to COMPETING against the Bulls and all their players at full strength.

Eh it can go either way. Want to beat Rose at his best and win it that way? Cool. Want him to be reduced to a non-factor because you strongly dislike the Bulls and/or just want the Knicks to have it easier? Cool. Feel that it's a shame that Rose's career has been derailed because he could have been great? Cool. Don't care? Cool. It's not serious so either way is a fan reaction that is fine -- it's just the PC police that turn a knee injury into some somber subject that requires everybody to say how much they want Rose to be back to full strength. Nah. It's fine either way.

Spare me your crocodile tears. Rose's life is not in danger. He's getting $80M if he recovers or not. The Bulls will get other players in the draft and will continue being a popular team. Their existence does not depend on him and Rose's existence does not depend on basketball. Nor should either one be true frankly. It's not that serious.

Me personally? I thought Rose was a great player and if he returns to greatness, great for him and the Bulls. It's no big deal -- it ain't serious.

The most bitter Knicks fan wouldn't get my judgment. a) It's sports and fans. It doesn't mean a lot outside of just being a fan -- a mature person can separate fan passion and something that really is life and death and/or meaningful. b) I never once heard anything but satisfaction from other fan bases when McDyess went down, when Curry got fat and terrible, when Isiah showed his terrible true colors, etc., etc. I happen to defend Dolan here and there but he's hated by Knicks fans and lampooned harshly by other fans. But does it matter? No. Making fun of someone because they're fat or bad at music or an idiot -- those are every bit as mean as talking about a player's knee injury or predicting Rose's failure. But nobody polices the Dolan attacks, really, do they?

You, my friend, may want to examine whether you're a tad hypocritical -- you say fans shouldn't care about what is said in the media and what writers think. And yet you're obsessed with what fans think day and night. You put words in people's mouth -- you imagine things being said that aren't said -- you lecture non-stop. YOU are OBSESSED with what fans think. So who are you to lecture people about obsession with others' thoughts??? LOL.

I don't really care either way what someone thinks that much. It's just chatter and words. And I don't even care if someone gets emotional and personal about a subject to the point where they're destroying themselves or hoping for bad things, or taking sports too seriously, or out of whack in their thinking or attitude. That's why I haven't given you so much as a warning with all of your silly posts.

It's eh. Who cares. It's sports. Get over and come down off your 30-foot tall horse LOL.

By the way, nobody wears black and visits Penny Hardaway's grave. Because there is no such thing -- he is alive and probably pretty well. I wish him well personally and if Rose's career is upended, I hope he too can find a happy existence. Sometimes a failure can produce a greater victory. Sure, people can be wistful of how great Penny could have been, and reminisce as sports fans. But that's where it ends. Mourning the subject would be a bit of an overreaction, esp. for NON-Magic and NON-Suns fans.

I'm sure Penny has some bad dreams here and there. But he should be able to rise above his derailed career and be happy. Life is challenging. Athletes getting knee injuries and making lots of cash is pretty low on the list of tragedies that befall men.

Talk to me about Arthur Agee and then I might get truly depressed.
suicidedeuce

Post#28 » by suicidedeuce » Sat Sep 6, 2014 12:21 am

KnicksGod wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:

Eh it can go either way. Want to beat Rose at his best and win it that way? Cool. Want him to be reduced to a non-factor because you strongly dislike the Bulls and/or just want the Knicks to have it easier? Cool. Feel that it's a shame that Rose's career has been derailed because he could have been great? Cool. Don't care? Cool. It's not serious so either way is a fan reaction that is fine -- it's just the PC police that turn a knee injury into some somber subject that requires everybody to say how much they want Rose to be back to full strength. Nah. It's fine either way.

Spare me your crocodile tears. Rose's life is not in danger. He's getting $80M if he recovers or not. The Bulls will get other players in the draft and will continue being a popular team. Their existence does not depend on him and Rose's existence does not depend on basketball. Nor should either one be true frankly. It's not that serious.

Me personally? I thought Rose was a great player and if he returns to greatness, great for him and the Bulls. It's no big deal -- it ain't serious.

The most bitter Knicks fan wouldn't get my judgment. a) It's sports and fans. It doesn't mean a lot outside of just being a fan -- a mature person can separate fan passion and something that really is life and death and/or meaningful. b) I never once heard anything but satisfaction from other fan bases when McDyess went down, when Curry got fat and terrible, when Isiah showed his terrible true colors, etc., etc. I happen to defend Dolan here and there but he's hated by Knicks fans and lampooned harshly by other fans. But does it matter? No. Making fun of someone because they're fat or bad at music or an idiot -- those are every bit as mean as talking about a player's knee injury or predicting Rose's failure. But nobody polices the Dolan attacks, really, do they?

You, my friend, may want to examine whether you're a tad hypocritical -- you say fans shouldn't care about what is said in the media and what writers think. And yet you're obsessed with what fans think day and night. You put words in people's mouth -- you imagine things being said that aren't said -- you lecture non-stop. YOU are OBSESSED with what fans think. So who are you to lecture people about obsession with others' thoughts??? LOL.

I don't really care either way what someone thinks that much. It's just chatter and words. And I don't even care if someone gets emotional and personal about a subject to the point where they're destroying themselves or hoping for bad things, or taking sports too seriously, or out of whack in their thinking or attitude. That's why I haven't given you so much as a warning with all of your silly posts.

It's eh. Who cares. It's sports. Get over and come down off your 30-foot tall horse LOL.

By the way, nobody wears black and visits Penny Hardaway's grave. Because there is no such thing -- he is alive and probably pretty well. I wish him well personally and if Rose's career is upended, I hope he too can find a happy existence. Sometimes a failure can produce a greater victory. Sure, people can be wistful of how great Penny could have been, and reminisce as sports fans. But that's where it ends. Mourning the subject would be a bit of an overreaction, esp. for NON-Magic and NON-Suns fans.

I'm sure Penny has some bad dreams here and there. But he should be able to rise above his derailed career and be happy. Life is challenging. Athletes getting knee injuries and making lots of cash is pretty low on the list of tragedies that befall men.

What a disproportionately long way to say "yes, I hope Derick never fully recovers and that's cool because it's all fun and games."

Let's put it another way, any fans of any team who wants a player on another team to never fully recover from an injury (and that includes of others teams who did the same to Knicks fans) are cowards, pure and simple.

Now you're right in one sense. Yes, this cowardice isn't a top priority. Life will go on for the injured players and the cowards who want them to stay that way.

But don't spend 10 paragraphs arguing how it doesn't matter to you. Its self-contradictory.

How you view yourself and how you think you're perceived on this forum clearly means a great deal to you.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#29 » by KnicksGod » Sat Sep 6, 2014 12:49 am

suicidedeuce wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:

What a disproportionately long way to say "yes, I hope Derick never fully recovers and that's cool because it's all fun and games."

Let's put it another way, any fans of any team who wants a player on another team to never fully recover from an injury (and that includes of others teams who did the same to Knicks fans) are cowards, pure and simple.

Now you're right in one sense. Yes, this cowardice isn't a top priority. Life will go on for the injured players and the cowards who want them to stay that way.

But don't spend 10 paragraphs arguing how it doesn't matter to you. Its self-contradictory.

How you view yourself and how you think you're perceived on this forum clearly means a great deal to you.

You spend hours saying that Knicks fans shouldn't obsess about what writers think about the Knicks, because what writers think will have no impact on what happens to the Knicks.

Well, whether a fan wants Rose to do badly or return to greatness has zero impact -- zero -- on whether Rose's knees will heal and he'll be great again.

So why is it not okay to obsess about what writers think but perfectly okay for you to obsess about what fans think?

So according to you, it's a silly game to pay attention to writers' credibility, because it has no impact on your team, but it's absolutely okay for you to ascribe cowardice to a fan who hopes for something, a hope which has no impact on Derrick Rose whatsoever? LOL.

Why do this to yourself?
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#30 » by KnicksGod » Sat Sep 6, 2014 1:04 am

god shammgod wrote:i feel bad for rose the person. it's a shame when any athlete is struck down by injury. but i won't lie, him not recovering helps the knicks and every other team in the east. this is a a competition after all. so you might say i have mixed feelings on the subject. that being said and putting all feelings aside, i honestly don't think he will ever regain his mvp form so i don't actually have to root for anything.

Pretty much this. I'm skeptical of his return to greatness. I do feel bad for the guy to the extent that his career was so bright and I like the way he competes -- he's a bit odd but he doesn't do much complaining to the refs and doesn't showboat which I like in a player (some exceptions on the complaining recently but they are the exception to the rule). And I really thought he was purely great. Great great. And I do like quiet players personally.

The only think I'd add is that it's bad for the game to lose a great player, and I have a desire for the league to be great and grow.

That's the rational side. As a Knicks fan, I'm not going to celebrate him returning to greatness and steamrolling us. Why should I?

A guy like suicidedeuce has to simplify things in an extreme way to make his moral judgments and accuse people of cowardice. For instance, Michael Jordan was cheered at MSG after retirement. I personally wouldn't have done it but a lot of fans did -- most did. And many of them probably rooted hard against him. But they respect him enough to cheer him and tip their hat to his greatness.

Well, he's struggling to settle scores with me for his defeat, and I suspect he has some issue with "authority figures" (badgered TKF too). But even if he was being unbiased in responding to me (if he didn't know it was me), he has to paint black and white with everything to make himself feel cozy.

It's not black and white. If Rose comes back strong, I may never cheer for the guy after he comes back to MSG -- just not my way -- but there would be part of me that would really respect him AND as a general fan, appreciate the coolness of the story.

Maturity is complicated lol. I love the Knicks irrationally, but I also can evaluate basketball with a level head on the other hand, and appreciate being part of seeing something cool or historical. If Rose comes ALL the way back, that'd be such a moment. As a fan of the Knicks, I'm rooting for him to be ordinary at best.

Wait, that's nuanced -- it kills the fun! Let's go back to painting everybody with one brush so we can hurl insults. LOL.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#31 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Sep 6, 2014 10:37 am

My only quibble, basically Derrick Rose uses these games as pre-season before pre-season. So far, he moves fine. His shot selection is atrocious.
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#32 » by fresko024 » Sat Sep 6, 2014 11:51 am

suicidedeuce wrote:

Why would Knicks fans hope he regains his previous form? That does not benefit the Knicks. It actually hurts us. I don't hope he has another injury and is forced to retire, that's just cruel. I do hope that he is much slower and less effective so that each time the Knicks play against the Bulls we get a W

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Romans 8:1-4
suicidedeuce

Post#33 » by suicidedeuce » Sat Sep 6, 2014 8:37 pm

KnicksGod wrote:You spend hours...

Minutes. I've never written more than a couple of posts a week on the topic, which take 2-3 mins each tops.

Why do you have to exaggerate to make your point?

Well, whether a fan wants Rose to do badly or return to greatness has zero impact -- zero -- on whether Rose's knees will heal and he'll be great again.

Accurate, which makes the constant trying to reassure yourself of this all the more pointless.

We're finally getting someplace.

So why is it not okay to obsess about what writers think but perfectly okay for you to obsess about what fans think?

Forgiving your use of the term "obsess", for one because I"M actually involved in an exchange. As opposed to shouting at the rain from afar about the same topic over and over again, i can engage in a direct exchange with the people who's conduct I don't understand.

Now that sort of passing of the time may not be for everyone, but at least there's an chance for a different dynamic when you're actually engaged in an exchange. It's an interaction.

So according to you, it's a silly game to pay attention to writers' credibility,

I don't know why you need to make up things I never said. I think it's a pointless endless cycle.

but it's absolutely okay for you to ascribe cowardice to a fan who hopes for something, a hope which has no impact on Derrick Rose whatsoever?

What does okay or not okay have to do with anything.

You either fear the Knicks competing with the BUlls at full strength or you don't.

If you fall into the former camp, the English language fairly well dictates what you were independent on whatever I may write or think.
suicidedeuce

Post#34 » by suicidedeuce » Sat Sep 6, 2014 8:40 pm

fresko024 wrote:Why would Knicks fans hope he regains his previous form? That does not benefit the Knicks. It actually hurts us. I don't hope he has another injury and is forced to retire, that's just cruel. I do hope that he is much slower and less effective so that each time the Knicks play against the Bulls we get a W

Because HOW you win matters.

As a Knicks fan, I want to them to beat state of the art Lebron James, and the best the East has to offer.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#35 » by KnicksGod » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:55 am

suicidedeuce wrote:

Minutes. I've never written more than a couple of posts a week on the topic, which take 2-3 mins each tops.

Accurate, which makes the constant trying to reassure yourself of this all the more pointless.

Forgiving your use of the term "obsess", for one because I"M actually involved in an exchange. As opposed to shouting at the rain from afar about the same topic over and over again, i can engage in a direct exchange with the people who's conduct I don't understand.

Now that sort of passing of the time may not be for everyone, but at least there's an chance for a different dynamic when you're actually engaged in an exchange. It's an interaction.

So according to you, it's a silly game to pay attention to writers' credibility,

I don't know why you need to make up things I never said. I think it's a pointless endless cycle.

but it's absolutely okay for you to ascribe cowardice to a fan who hopes for something, a hope which has no impact on Derrick Rose whatsoever?

You either fear the Knicks competing with the BUlls at full strength or you don't.

If you fall into the former camp, the English language fairly well dictates what you were independent on whatever I may write or think.

That's in the eyes of the beholder, more or less. The Mavs got pretty fortunate to have a clearer path to their championship, but the accomplishment is no less special to most. The Spurs would've been less likely to win this year unless Wade and Bosh declined (due to age/injury) and crapped out of the Finals, yet nobody is putting an asterisk next to their most recent title.
suicidedeuce

Post#36 » by suicidedeuce » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:

That's in the eyes of the beholder, more or less. The Mavs got pretty fortunate to have a clearer path to their championship, but the accomplishment is no less special to most. The Spurs would've been less likely to win this year unless Wade and Bosh declined (due to age/injury) and crapped out of the Finals, yet nobody is putting an asterisk next to their most recent title.

That's not what's been discussed. Teams can only play who's on their schedule. If it's state of the art Heat or slightly aged Heat, or what have you, that's part of the game. No one is taking away anything from anyone. It's what you're clearly HOPING for in the future and fearing that's at issue.

But a fan wishing and hoping for the path of least resistance is NOT the same thing as taking credit away from a team for beating who they played.

You can justify it and dress it up all you want. The base/primal motivator here is FEAR. If the Knicks ever face the Bulls in a game that counts, I hope Derrick Rose has a terrible game and a terrible series. I don't hope it's because he had devastating injuries as a very young man.

Sorry, you can say this is common to fans (probably is), you can try to compare it to natural age decline. But none of that makes it any less weak.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#37 » by KnicksGod » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 pm

suicidedeuce wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
suicidedeuce wrote:

That's not what's been discussed. Teams can only play who's on their schedule. If it's state of the art Heat or slightly aged Heat, or what have you, that's part of the game. No one is taking away anything from anyone. It's what you're clearly HOPING for in the future and fearing that's at issue.

But a fan wishing and hoping for the path of least resistance is NOT the same thing as taking credit away from a team for beating who they played.

You can justify it and dress it up all you want. The base/primal motivator here is FEAR. If the Knicks ever face the Bulls in a game that counts, I hope Derrick Rose has a terrible game and a terrible series. I don't hope it's because he had devastating injuries as a very young man.

Sorry, you can say this is common to fans (probably is), you can try to compare it to natural age decline. But none of that makes it any less weak.

You're just making stuff up as you go, more or less. You lecture people not to take reporters' opinions too seriously, or spend time on it, yet you take fans' opinions very seriously, and spend tons of time on it. Makes no sense I'm afraid.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,079

Re: USA Basketball vs. Ukraine 

Post#38 » by stuporman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Wait... I thought masturbation was required according to the ToS! :o
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
suicidedeuce

Post#39 » by suicidedeuce » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 am

KnicksGod wrote:You're just making stuff up as you go, more or less. You lecture people not to take reporters' opinions too seriously, or spend time on it, yet you take fans' opinions very seriously, and spend tons of time on it. Makes no sense I'm afraid.

That's not a a response to anything actually on topic and in indulge in this transparent tactic all too often.

A telltale of a lack of confidence in an argument is to simply attack the person making the argument. And no matter what the basketball/media topic and hand, you've made a habit of raising the same issues again and again and again.

If you genuinely feel I lack any credibility, physician heal thyself and move on.

So if you'd like to continue to try to defend wishing for career alternating injuries on opponents of the Knicks, please do.

Otherwise you're (again), off topic. The topic isn't me, despite you fixated pattern on trying to make it so.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#40 » by KnicksGod » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:35 pm

suicidedeuce wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:You're just making stuff up as you go, more or less. You lecture people not to take reporters' opinions too seriously, or spend time on it, yet you take fans' opinions very seriously, and spend tons of time on it. Makes no sense I'm afraid.

That's not a a response to anything actually on topic and in indulge in this transparent tactic all too often.

A telltale of a lack of confidence in an argument is to simply attack the person making the argument. And no matter what the basketball/media topic and hand, you've made a habit of raising the same issues again and again and again.

If you genuinely feel I lack any credibility, physician heal thyself and move on.

So if you'd like to continue to try to defend wishing for career alternating injuries on opponents of the Knicks, please do.

Otherwise you're (again), off topic. The topic isn't me, despite you fixated pattern on trying to make it so.

It may be wiser and more advisable to stick to talking about how much cap room Knicks will have, their options, the machinations of using and maximizing cap room, etc.

Otherwise you're often giving hollow lectures on morality or making major misstatements on areas you're not very qualified to talk about. Or you get indignant / petty because someone pointed out the holes in your arguments, and you refuse to cut your losses and move on.

Then when all else fails you look for an escape and run for cover ... 'Stop attacking me personally!' Just stick to what you know well and limit your emotional risk.

Return to New York Knicks