ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Team USA Dominantes 2014 FIBA World Cup to Win Gold

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

OT: Team USA Dominantes 2014 FIBA World Cup to Win Gold 

Post#1 » by Thorn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:29 pm

We had a few scares early on in a couple of games, that made me shudder.. thinking back to the Nightmare teams like the one Marbury was on. But in the end this young group of NBA greats and role-players came in and dominated the competition dealing out losses handily. I think Spain would have been a better match up for the team in the end, sadly it is a a game we never got to see.

I for one appreciate the NBA stars who DID go, and who DID represent our country. I was especially pleased to see a player like Faried step up and embrace his role and really have a break out performance within the international game.

Minus the whole dancing thing at the end which annoyed me...

Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/9/15/6 ... gold-medal
jdennis187
Analyst
And1: 175

Re: OT: Team USA Dominantes the Opposition 

Post#2 » by jdennis187 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Be kind to that marbury team....

That ginobili argentina team was NASTY (Noccioni, a young prigioni and luis scola) and other teams were in their prime as well like Greece.

Don't forget that in 2008, we probably LOSE to spain if calderon didn't get hurt. Calderon was the star point guard of spain even with rubio and juan carlos and sergio rodriguez on the team.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#3 » by kosmovitelli » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Team USA was indeed the best team by far but Spain's coach was terrible and the french team almost went all the way to the Final. It was pretty close against Serbia and if they showed up at the beginning of the 3rd quarter (instead of starting to play defense and agressive only in the fourth), they probably would have won. Obviously Team USA would have easily dismantled that french team but add Parker and Noah (+ their other injured players like Washington's Seraphin and a couple of other players) and Team USA would have had to deal with more problems yesterday.

Anyway, what I would like to see is the equivalent of the Ryder Cup in basketball. A competition between a Euro team and team USA.

Imagine Parker, Teodosic, Batum, Nowitski and Marc Gasol plus Pau, Rubio, Rudy Fernandez, Navarro, Noah, Diaw, etc. on the bench. I'd love to watch that team against Lebron, Melo and the rest of team USA at full strength.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Thorn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:02 pm

jdennis187 wrote:Be kind to that marbury team....

That ginobili argentina team was NASTY (Noccioni, a young prigioni and luis scola) and other teams were in their prime as well like Greece.

Don't forget that in 2008, we probably LOSE to spain if calderon didn't get hurt. Calderon was the star point guard of spain even with rubio and juan carlos and sergio rodriguez on the team.

I agree with your first point that was some seriously tough competition, and worse the world had caught up to the US and the US was just slow to react to that changing landscape thinking all they had to do was show up and collect trophies and medals.

kosmovitelli wrote:Team USA was indeed the best team by far but Spain's coach was terrible and the french team almost went all the way to the Final. It was pretty close against Serbia and if they showed up at the beginning of the 3rd quarter (instead of starting to play defense and agressive only in the fourth), they probably would have won. Obviously Team USA would have easily dismantled that french team but add Parker and Noah (+ their other injured players like Washington's Seraphin and a couple of other players) and Team USA would have had to deal with more problems yesterday.

Anyway, what I would like to see is the equivalent of the Ryder Cup in basketball. A competition between a Euro team and team USA.

Imagine Parker, Teodosic, Batum, Nowitski and Marc Gasol plus Pau, Rubio, Rudy Fernandez, Navarro, Noah, Diaw, etc. on the bench. I'd love to watch that team against Lebron, Melo and the rest of team USA at full strength.

That would be a hell of a game to watch!
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#5 » by il_knicks7 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:Team USA was indeed the best team by far but Spain's coach was terrible and the french team almost went all the way to the Final. It was pretty close against Serbia and if they showed up at the beginning of the 3rd quarter (instead of starting to play defense and agressive only in the fourth), they probably would have won. Obviously Team USA would have easily dismantled that french team but add Parker and Noah (+ their other injured players like Washington's Seraphin and a couple of other players) and Team USA would have had to deal with more problems yesterday.

If Yugoslavia could come back together to form a single country again, then the US would have a real competitor. No other single country could consistently compete.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Thorn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:56 pm

What sort of decisions did the coach of the Spanish club make that showed he was a bad coach? I did not see any of their games just highlights and am curious how he screwed up. That team was loaded, and it is a shame that poor coaching sabotaged it.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#7 » by ctorres » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:23 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:Anyway, what I would like to see is the equivalent of the Ryder Cup in basketball. A competition between a Euro team and team USA.

Team Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela)

G: Greivis Vazquez / JJ Barea / Pablo Prigioni
G: Manu Ginobili / Leandro Barbosa
F: Carlos Delfino / Francisco Garcia
F: Luis Scola / Nene
C: Al Horford / Tiago Splitter / Anderson Varejao
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: OT: Team USA Dominantes 2014 FIBA World Cup to Win Gold 

Post#8 » by Thorn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

That too would be fun to watch IMO.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,460

Post#9 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Literally watched 3 minutes of this garbage ass tournament.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Thorn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 am

It was surprising to me the USA fared as well as they did... I had concerns. We did not send any of the "big names" instead it is like the Junior Varsity team in many ways and yet they still defeated their opponents quite handily on most nights.

I enjoyed it for that reason alone, I viewed the USA team not as the favorites this time. I really saw Spain as the favorites and as the host team I liked that story line. I like that underdogs won in many cases, and there was some good basketball to watch.

I understand why not everyone would enjoy the tournament, but for me it was compelling in several areas.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#11 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:22 pm

its a shame the only team with any chance to beat the USA choked and never played us

thats a major disappointment

its boring to watch a team so much better than everyone else that they are basically sleepwalking to a 20 point win every night

Return to New York Knicks