ImageImageImageImageImage

lets talk the new TV deal, new cap and potential for Knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Re: lets talk the new TV deal, new cap and potential for Kni 

Post#21 » by Meat » Tue Oct 7, 2014 12:08 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
jonny31623 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:that would be just incredible

but he's not leaving OKC for NYC unless we are a contender and we are not gonna be a contender unless we make some really smart moves before 2016 and we compete at a high level between then and now

i know that everyone says durant has ties to washington because its his home town, but i really beleive that a guy like that, loves the big pressure and biggest stage and is not afraid of our media. he belongs in a knick jersey.

if durant gives phil jackson 1 hour to explain what a legend he could be if he played and won in NY, i think it would do the trick. were talking about mr 11 rings here. plus, these ball players are all about there legacy and $$. you win in NY, you are god. ask jeter.

it will happen. plans are in place, we will have a dominant team come 2016. just need patience. which at this point in my knick fan career, i am willing to give.

This is the same thing said about LeBron James. Oh he loves the pressur, yaddy yaddy yadda. Yet where did he end back up? in cleveland. I don't know why fans continue to believe that the very best players in the world see the Knicks as a viable option.

because msg is the mecca :roll: ppl say rubbish like that without being able to list the last superstar that signed with the knicks in the last 20 years
Big Chan
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#22 » by Big Chan » Tue Oct 7, 2014 12:26 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:A higher salary cap disproportionately benefits big-market teams like the Knicks. This is a perfect embodiment of why the last CBA was a joke (but I like it). We very well may be able to assemble a contender in the next 2 years with this.

yes, I agree

2 more max cats or, better yet, 4 10mil per quality players

All salaries are going to go up, a 10 mill a year player is now like a MLE guy with max contracts starting at 25-35 percent of the cap depending on service years. 10 mill a year guys really wont help us. Thats why Parsons and Hayward got maxed out, by 2016 their contracts will be somewhat of a bargain.
xsaberx
Bench Warmer
And1: 413

Post#23 » by xsaberx » Tue Oct 7, 2014 12:47 pm

Can someone please spell this out and make a specific for instance? Like if we get Gasol and another player in 2015 and fill our cap, how much more will we have to spend in 2016 at 80 or 90 mil (is it simply 14-24 more)? and what would the max and MLE be?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#24 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Oct 7, 2014 1:20 pm

Meat wrote:the only one that buys into that biggest sstage\brightest lights **** are ny fans. that literally means nothing to nba players in the era of social\global media. just look at durrant's endorsements vs melo.

that must be why LA has always had such a tough time attracting free agents as opposed to Utah

no, bright lights and big stage are major attractions to a lot of players

but they need a star to join or a team with actual aspirations to be a part of, not just some crap team with a great city
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#25 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Oct 7, 2014 1:51 pm

Big Chan wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:A higher salary cap disproportionately benefits big-market teams like the Knicks. This is a perfect embodiment of why the last CBA was a joke (but I like it). We very well may be able to assemble a contender in the next 2 years with this.

yes, I agree

2 more max cats or, better yet, 4 10mil per quality players

All salaries are going to go up, a 10 mill a year player is now like a MLE guy with max contracts starting at 25-35 percent of the cap depending on service years. 10 mill a year guys really wont help us. Thats why Parsons and Hayward got maxed out, by 2016 their contracts will be somewhat of a bargain.

thats not so

GMs are being more prudent with contracts and no one is giving those long deals with big contracts

Haywood and Parsons got maxed because they are not MLE level guys
they may both have been overpaid but they may be worth it too

For example Deng is making 10mil and Affalo wants something like that
A couple guys like this filling out the roster changes everything in NY
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#26 » by Workforce250 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 1:52 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Meat wrote:the only one that buys into that biggest sstage\brightest lights **** are ny fans. that literally means nothing to nba players in the era of social\global media. just look at durrant's endorsements vs melo.

that must be why LA has always had such a tough time attracting free agents as opposed to Utah

but they need a star to join or a team with actual aspirations to be a part of, not just some crap team with a great city

It's not that the Lakers can't attract players. It's that Kobe is very difficult to play with. He has an "My Team" owner's mentality.
And big time players ALL have oversized egos.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:05 pm

Workforce250 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

It's not that the Lakers can't attract players. It's that Kobe is very difficult to play with. He has an "My Team" owner's mentality.
i was being sarcastic

the lakers always attract major free agents and often at a discount

they pulled Boozer and Nick Young this summer when they clearly suck, have no plan, didn't have a coach yet and Kobe may not play much
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#28 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:10 pm

if this all causes the 2015 cap to jump up a bit, then that would really benefit the Knicks. They are at the edge where any extra money will help a lot. Existing contracts signed also increase in value (like Melo and Calderon)

Overall, I don't think its a huge advantage to any specific team though. Its mostly inflation. Its not going to be a free for all where the Knicks can outspend every team and build a super team. You still need to manage your cap wisely and it will still be difficult to sign players from other teams. A player like Durant, will still be offered more money by OKC then the Knicks can offer. He would be leaving even more money on the table to leave with inflation.

Its mostly just inflation though and all contracts will be on the rise. In 2016 or 2017, $10mil just won't get you the same quality as it did in 2014.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
jonny31623
Senior
And1: 183

Post#29 » by jonny31623 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:28 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
jonny31623 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:that would be just incredible

but he's not leaving OKC for NYC unless we are a contender and we are not gonna be a contender unless we make some really smart moves before 2016 and we compete at a high level between then and now

i know that everyone says durant has ties to washington because its his home town, but i really beleive that a guy like that, loves the big pressure and biggest stage and is not afraid of our media. he belongs in a knick jersey.

if durant gives phil jackson 1 hour to explain what a legend he could be if he played and won in NY, i think it would do the trick. were talking about mr 11 rings here. plus, these ball players are all about there legacy and $$. you win in NY, you are god. ask jeter.

it will happen. plans are in place, we will have a dominant team come 2016. just need patience. which at this point in my knick fan career, i am willing to give.

This is the same thing said about LeBron James. Oh he loves the pressur, yaddy yaddy yadda. Yet where did he end back up? in cleveland. I don't know why fans continue to believe that the very best players in the world see the Knicks as a viable option.

lebron james was never an option for us i dont care what carl told us. thats first and foremost.

for the longest time, the soft cap that the cba had, let the knicks go above and beyond with spending and getting players. ofcourse isiah didnt do it right with the likes of steve francis, marbury, curry and jerome james. but in general before the last cba was put into place, players came to NY because 1. they got paid very well 2. it is NY.

we have alot of things going for us in 2016.

1. phil jackson (speaks for itself)

2. since the last cba, other then a few bloated contracts, (bledsoe, hayward, melo,and a few others i cant think of right now) the gm's and owners have spent very responsibly on players. this will be great because when the salary cap opens up in 2016 to 80 or 90 mill, the knicks are open to spend like they used to before the 2011 cba was put into place. except this time the 20 mill wont be on a guy like francis, it will be on a guy like durant.

3. melo's contract, although it seems bloated now, will probably look marginal in the new cba because of this tv deal. guys like lebron will be cashing in to a starting salary of 25-30 mill. and its very possible.

4. the triangle system will be in place, and players know exactly what system they will be playing in. so they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

5. 2015 free agency will be a big factor towards our 2016 adventure. getting a guy like marc gasol will be pivotal. time will tell, but we have the money to be creative. thats for sure.

6. last but now least, this is NY. endorsement capital. players make more money here. period. whether its through fashion, sponsors, shoe endorsements, w/e the case, they always make more money in NY and LA. its just a fact.

so many factors that will be in our favor in 2016.
Workforce250
Banned User

Post#30 » by Workforce250 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:38 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Workforce250 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:that must be why LA has always had such a tough time attracting free agents as opposed to Utah

i was being sarcastic

the lakers always attract major free agents and often at a discount

they pulled Boozer and Nick Young this summer when they clearly suck, have no plan, didn't have a coach yet and Kobe may not play much

got you.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#31 » by jwise44 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:59 pm

This is a serious question

All teams keep talking about the jump in cap and jow now they can sign more players and stuff...but as the cap goes up doesn't the vet min, average players salaries, and Max contracts goes up by the same percentage jump? So basically teams would have the same amount of cap space in a sense?

Other than of course Melo signing for that contract which would look like a steal when it jumps that much...which a lot of people don't take into account when they say "oh melo just wanted money" when he could have just done what lebron did...melos contract will turn into a discount
Workforce250
Banned User

Post#32 » by Workforce250 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:19 pm

jwise44 wrote:This is a serious question

All teams keep talking about the jump in cap and jow now they can sign more players and stuff...but as the cap goes up doesn't the vet min, average players salaries, and Max contracts goes up by the same percentage jump? So basically teams would have the same amount of cap space in a sense?

Other than of course Melo signing for that contract which would look like a steal when it jumps that much...which a lot of people don't take into account when they say "oh melo just wanted money" when he could have just done what lebron did...melos contract will turn into a discount

Excellent post. Some uninformed Knick posters, don't realize how many 10s of millions of dollars, Carmelo Anthony left behind in order to resign with the New York Knicks.

Obviously, it wasn't about just the dollars. He must really believe in Jackson's plan, to get a Champion caliber team in New York, while he is young.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#33 » by Meat » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:28 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:

pre-social media, the last big la signing was before the advent of facebook and twitter. in the modern era they've up and lost their biggest star in a decade not named kobe
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#34 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:40 pm

jwise44 wrote:This is a serious question

you know what the unintended consequence of this cap will be is that max cats like Melo will go back into free agency in 3 years when they see the new max is like 1.5 times bigger and there are guys out there not as good as them who are gonna be getting it

however vet min, MLE, etc will all jump for sure

which again may benefit us more than others

there will be a higher threshold for paying penalties and tax and more money available for players but low attendance teams are not gonna suddenly become more profitable. Memphis and Phx and atl are not gonna see the opportunity to add another 20mil to their team as a great advantage where NY, 2xsLA and Dallas probably will
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#35 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:42 pm

Meat wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

pre-social media, the last big la signing was before the advent of facebook and twitter. in the modern era they've up and lost their biggest star in a decade not named kobe

I can't imagine what you think social media has to do with anything

Dwight Howard and Steve Nash apparently don't rate for you even though Dwight forced a trade to them and Nash signed with them over many other suiters

Granted it didn't work out for them but it still happened
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#36 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Oct 7, 2014 5:49 pm

Draft picks will become even more valuable.

If you have a player that pans out, they are locked up on a cheap deal for even less of the cap. If the Knicks can nail there 2015 pick, that would be HUGE.

Its really hard to say whats going to happen though. Next few offseasons may be even more crazier.
Mavs
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#37 » by jwise44 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 6:30 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Draft picks will become even more valuable.

If you have a player that pans out, they are locked up on a cheap deal for even less of the cap. If the Knicks can nail there 2015 pick, that would be HUGE.

Its really hard to say whats going to happen though. Next few offseasons may be even more crazier.

Well like I said in my last post

Wouldn't Rookie scale contracts would go up the same % as the cap jump? so there really wouldn't be a difference in capspace AFTER this next draft if it really does jump that high the year after
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#38 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Oct 7, 2014 7:15 pm

jwise44 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Draft picks will become even more valuable.

Well like I said in my last post

Wouldn't Rookie scale contracts would go up the same % as the cap jump? so there really wouldn't be a difference in capspace AFTER this next draft if it really does jump that high the year after

i am pretty sure rookie salaries scales are set until 2021. They go up, but not nearly as much as the cap will.

This may be renegotiated though in 2017.

http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm
Mavs
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#39 » by BowlRips » Tue Oct 7, 2014 7:20 pm

JR Smith alot more likely to opt in. Would probably want to test 2016 Free Agency which should be insanity. Not going to want to be a free agent in 2015 when everything is going to be in flux.
Need to move him asap.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#40 » by BowlRips » Tue Oct 7, 2014 7:21 pm

Positively, Shumpert is alot more likely to sign his qualifying offer of $3.5 million. He'd be unrestricted in 2016. Knicks can do a wink wink agreement to sign him them or he can just text 2016 Free Agent madness and get close to $10mil

Return to New York Knicks