ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Steve Nash out for season... The end?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

OT: Steve Nash out for season... The end? 

Post#1 » by Zooropa » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:05 am

LOS ANGELES — The latest and perhaps last setback of Steve Nash's disappointing tenure with the Los Angeles Lakers has come.

Nash is expected to be ruled out for the 2014-15 NBA season because of recurring nerve damage in his back, according to league sources.

Nash, 40, had said he expects this 19th NBA season to be his final one. But he has not announced his retirement. Nash has not stated an intention of playing for a team away from Los Angeles and his children, saying in March that he would be done if the Lakers used their stretch provision to cut him for salary-cap savings: "That would be it. I'll either be back here or I'll be done."

Now, Nash might try to dream anew of more rest for a full year and one more shot. But Nash's body has simply told him that it isn't up to playing NBA basketball, as much as his words have been telling people that he still loves playing and believes he can contribute if allowed.

Nash hurt himself last season getting out of bed. A week ago, he hurt himself carrying his bags.

He has continued to search for a way to shake the nerve issues—undertaking fanatical strengthening workouts at times and resting at others.

This is, at heart, the same person who decided he didn't want to sit out as a teenager and got a buddy to help him cut a cast off his broken arm and played in his league basketball game that night.

He has also acknowledged wanting to collect the $9.7 million due him for this last year.

But Nash's decision Thursday is a real acknowledgement of how little ground he is gaining so far away from his youth with an uphill battle this steep.

Nash was selected an All-Star by the league's coaches as recently as 2012–the only other All-Stars age 38 or older are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Karl Malone and Michael Jordan—prompting the Lakers to jump at the chance to land him that summer.

It is instead going down as one of the Lakers' worst deals: They haven't won a playoff game since and they gave up first-round picks in 2013 and '15 (top-five protected) and second-round picks in '13 and '14 to the Phoenix Suns so they could pay Nash $27 million over three years. They also got almost nothing out of the idea that by pairing Nash with his coach in Phoenix, Mike D'Antoni, the Lakers would create a latter-day "Showtime" pick-and-roll era.

The promise of the Lakers coming together immediately with Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Nash in 2012 was sidetracked in just their second game together. Nash fractured his left leg trying to defend Portland's Damian Lillard upcourt, and an array of nerve issues ensued for Nash.

As much as Nash has found he loves living in L.A., almost everything else has been a nightmare for him as a Laker. He admitted he fell into an abyss personally last season before finding a fresh perspective.

"I was in a really, really bad place last year during the winter," Nash said at the start of camp this year. "I was largely unaware of how bad I was until I got out of it. Now I realize this is my last year. There's no guarantee I'll get to play any games this year. The truth is, I have a lot of miles on my back, and a day or two into training camp, it could all be done."

Nash and Lakers executives had been optimistic about him having some degree of success based on how healthy he felt in the offseason, even with two-a-day workouts. Even though Nash played just 15 games last season, hope was created by how well Nash played in late-summer pickup games.

The two-time NBA MVP played one exhibition game Oct. 6 but felt discomfort in the first quarter of his next one Oct. 12; he has worked out only individually since then, getting a feel for the lack of progress.

Jeremy Lin's opportunity to restart his career opens further with Nash out of the picture. Ronnie Price, 31, has been a good fit in training camp with Byron Scott's defense-intensive approach, and Price is in line for point-guard minutes ahead of rookie combo guard Jordan Clarkson.

By any account, Nash's career has been incredible despite these recent years. He has persevered through a congenital condition called spondylolisthesis that involves the displacement of vertebrae in his back, and despite the fact that he wasn't initially recruited by any college basketball program.

Today, despite the latest setback, Nash ranks first in league history in free-throw percentage (90.4). He is third with 10,335 assists, and he is one of 10 players in league history to have won consecutive NBA MVP awards.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2242777-unable-to-overcome-ongoing-back-issues-steve-nash-to-miss-2014-15-season

Beyond sad if true. I met him this summer by the Hudson River, and he couldn'tve been nicer. And an all-time great, of course.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Re: OT: Steve Nash out for season... The end? 

Post#2 » by Pharmcat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 am

one of the worst trades ever for the Lakers

never the less, this dude had an AMAZING run in PHO and should enjoy his retirement
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,001

Post#3 » by god shammgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 am

it is the end. sucks for him. people will talk about the money but nobody is bothered more then the player when this happens.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#4 » by Fat Kat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:09 am

Nash getting that free money. Pad that retirement account.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#5 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:09 am

What a pussy. Can't handle a little nerve damage in his back. Glad we never got him.
Free Palestine
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#6 » by frothbrain » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:09 am

Linsanity 2.0
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:10 am

Fat Kat wrote:Nash getting that free money. Pad that retirement account.

Never know when you gotta give the Rolls a tune-up.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:10 am

frothbrain wrote:Linsanity 2.0

:lol: Yeah baby.
Free Palestine
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#9 » by Ignitowsky » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:13 am

RIP to a great career.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#10 » by Fat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 am

i can see Nash becoming an actor in a few movies or a rapper after the NBA.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#11 » by god shammgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

is kobe out for the season too ? :lol:
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#12 » by god shammgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 am

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 14s14 seconds ago

Lakers spokesman John Black confirms @KevinDing report that he's out for the season with nerve damage in his back.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#13 » by Fat Kat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:Nash getting that free money. Pad that retirement account.

Never know when you gotta give the Rolls a tune-up.

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#14 » by Fat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:18 am

Steve nashes middle name is John Btw
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 am

god shammgod wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

is kobe out for the season too ? :lol:

Oh wow. Doesn't look good ... for Bryant, that is. 8-)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2224 ... e-injuries
Free Palestine
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by god shammgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 am

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#17 » by DowNY » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 am

We dodged a bullet (for once) with not trading for him.
Would have basically gave Shump away for nothing.
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 2,933

Post#18 » by GettinitDone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 am

The end for one of all time PG greats :cry:

But it has only begun for the other 8-)
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#19 » by god shammgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:24 am

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 3m3 minutes ago

Seems unfathomable that Steve Nash would come back from this, but I'm told he has not made a decision on retirement.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#20 » by isiah_thomas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 am

Sucks for Nash, one of my fav players

Lin might make the All star game this season

Return to New York Knicks