ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to NBA Draft: Prospect Talk

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Re: College Thread AKA Prospect Watch 

Post#6101 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:13 am

swisscheeseD wrote:D'Angelo Russell or Bust.

Testify
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#6102 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:48 am

The only reason people want Towns over Russell because he Tall. There is no way in hell, that you can say he is more skilled than Russell. Russell even has a more complete game than OK4.OK4 is one sided mostly. Russell is the most well rounded player, that means his base talent is the best, cause he can actually get better at every SKILL he ALREADY has. He just has to improve more than he has to be taught. The other two need to be taught much more skills than russell does as a player. Strength and quickness are easy to improve. He has a better body than Curry does, and curry easily improved on those areas. I would take Russells intelligence and feel for the game over what ever the other two have. He is a leader, the other two are not.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,050

Post#6103 » by DaGawd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:12 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:The only reason people want Towns over Russell because he Tall. There is no way in hell, that you can say he is more skilled than Russell. Russell even has a more complete game than OK4.OK4 is one sided mostly. Russell is the most well rounded player, that means his base talent is the best, cause he can actually get better at every SKILL he ALREADY has. He just has to improve more than he has to be taught. The other two need to be taught much more skills than russell does as a player. Strength and quickness are easy to improve. He has a better body than Curry does, and curry easily improved on those areas. I would take Russells intelligence and feel for the game over what ever the other two have. He is a leader, the other two are not.

Skill wise there isn't anything Okafor can't do... except shoot 3s..and maybe bring his ft percentage up a lil bit. But offensively he is every bit as skilled as Russell offensively for his position. Defensively they both struggle to put in maximum effort at times so they're pretty even on that end Imo.
BaF
Washington Wizards
Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

Post#6104 » by Milk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 am

Okafor
Russell
Towns
Mudiay

In that order.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#6105 » by Marty McFly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:42 am

DaGawd wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:The only reason people want Towns over Russell because he Tall. There is no way in hell, that you can say he is more skilled than Russell. Russell even has a more complete game than OK4.OK4 is one sided mostly. Russell is the most well rounded player, that means his base talent is the best, cause he can actually get better at every SKILL he ALREADY has. He just has to improve more than he has to be taught. The other two need to be taught much more skills than russell does as a player. Strength and quickness are easy to improve. He has a better body than Curry does, and curry easily improved on those areas. I would take Russells intelligence and feel for the game over what ever the other two have. He is a leader, the other two are not.

Skill wise there isn't anything Okafor can't do... except shoot 3s..and maybe bring his ft percentage up a lil bit. But offensively he is every bit as skilled as Russell offensively for his position. Defensively they both struggle to put in maximum effort at times so they're pretty even on that end Imo.

I've said this before, but this is the gist of it. it's funny, Okafor's been my number 1 for some time, and mudiay's starting to move up my board for no particular reason other than i see mudiay in comparison to russell the way the towns' fans see him in comparison to jahlil. i think you can live with a big who isn't a super athlete, I'm not sure you can do that with a guard who isn't a really good athlete in todays nba.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Retired_Doc
Analyst
And1: 367

Post#6106 » by Retired_Doc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:16 pm

DaGawd wrote:

"A lil bit?" Not so. His FT % is 51%. That is atrocious. By comparison Towns shoots 81%. Fantastic for a big man. And Towns practices his FTs. I doubt the one-dimensional OK4 even bothers.

OK4 has one thing in mind: "Throw me the ball inside and I will score. That way I get picked number one and make big bucks. Screw FTs and screw defense."
Tanking again, I suppose. Is there any other way?
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,050

Post#6107 » by DaGawd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Retired_Doc wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

"A lil bit?" Not so. His FT % is 51%. That is atrocious. By comparison Towns shoots 81%. Fantastic for a big man. And Towns practices his FTs. I doubt the one-dimensional OK4 even bothers.

OK4 has one thing in mind: "Throw me the ball inside and I will score. That way I get picked number one and make big bucks. Screw FTs and screw defense."

Yes comparing him to a big man who shoot abnormally well for guy at his position is obviously gonna make him look bad. Okafor is gonna get better from the line. His form and stroke are both solid. Just needs more reps. It's not like he's a guard shooting that percentage from the line. Shaq was a career 52% shooter from there..
BaF
Washington Wizards
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,682

Post#6108 » by mpharris36 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

I really like Russell but this is just a ridiculous post.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#6109 » by Knicker23 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Okafor has something everyone agrees is exceptional in his footwork/post-up game. Something that will translate in the NBA as a sure thing to a certain extent. Would you rather take that and the potential that comes with that, or the well-rounded guy who isn't particualrly amazing at any one part of his game but is expected to be a solid NBA player with some potential in Towns? The answer seems pretty obvious to me. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'll be happy w Towns or Russell 2nd, but I think when you have a player as good as Okafor at something so valuable, you take the sure thing and work on the weaknesses later.
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#6110 » by JustCame » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Knicker23 wrote:Okafor has something everyone agrees is exceptional in his footwork/post-up game. Something that will translate in the NBA as a sure thing to a certain extent. Would you rather take that and the potential that comes with that, or the well-rounded guy who isn't particualrly amazing at any one part of his game but is expected to be a solid NBA player with some potential in Towns? The answer seems pretty obvious to me. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'll be happy w Towns or Russell 2nd, but I think when you have a player as good as Okafor at something so valuable, you take the sure thing and work on the weaknesses later.

The problem with Okafor is that our defense probably will never be better than average, and honestly without a true playmaker, that we lack, our offense will never be good enough to counteract that.

Russell is a much needed playmaker that would help us immensely. We haven't had a great playmaker since Marbury..

I prefer Towns to Okafor because he basically guarantees us at least an above-average defense for a decade, and with a few more defensive pieces we can be elite in that area. He also has amazing offensive potential too with his outstanding jump shot and willingness to grow.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#6111 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Give me Russell, or give me death. I'm cool with Okafor too I guess
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#6112 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:26 pm

If all OK4 brings is a Post game, some passing that can be negated in the NBA.(He is not Chris Webber or Divac). Some weak ass defense, weak boards, Weak free throws...I will pass. I will take russell's game with its weakness over that. He brings much more to the table if you ask me.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#6113 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:42 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:If all OK4 brings is a Post game, some passing that can be negated in the NBA.(He is not Chris Webber or Divac). Some weak ass defense, weak boards, Weak free throws...I will pass. I will take russell's game with its weakness over that. He brings much more to the table if you ask me.

thats a gross disservice to his post and passing
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#6114 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:44 pm

the questions that Ive heard that make sense to me about the top 4 are the following:

Okafor - offense is there without question as is passing but will he be able to play defense in the NBA against quick, big and floor spreading players

Towns - does he have the frame to hold his position in the NBA? Can he avoid fouls? Can he develop a consistent enough shot to spread the floor? He has the potential to be a two way dominant player.

Russell - can he get his shot off against bigger, quicker and more skilled NBA SGs? Can he defend them? Can he hit with consistency or will he be a volume shooter? No one questions his passing skills.

Mudiay - shooting. thats the biggest question. and commitment to D though passing and athleticism and size and ability are all there.
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 633

Post#6115 » by Governor Dudley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:46 pm

KAT is Rasho Nesterovic with better athleticism.
AllanH20
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,883

Post#6116 » by AllanH20 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:47 pm

DickGrayson wrote:Towns still the best prospect to me. Best Overall player. Fouls can be improved with experience.

I'm honored that you quoted me in your sig but you didn't quote my full post, you just plucked that sentence out of it.

This is what I said in that post: Okafor's problem is conditioning, once he gets in better shape he won't have to take breaks on defense as he occasionally does now. He's as good if not better defender than Towns when he actually tries except for shot blocking, where Towns is superior. There is more to defense than shot blocking, Okafor is stronger so he doesn't get moved as easily and he's effective when contesting shots because he has a high reach. Towns has great potential but he has big bust potential as well (he might turn out to just be an energy big that blocks a shot or two off the bench).

Towns is also going to take a lot of time and he's yet to show up against good competition.

Milk wrote:Okafor
Russell
Towns
Mudiay

In that order.

Agreed.
"I'm ready to be an animal for this city."
- Joakim Noah
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#6117 » by FemaleDogPlease » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Russell had issues getting to the rim and finishing at the college level. No way do I take him top 4. I'd take Willie before Russell.
AllanH20
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,883

Post#6118 » by AllanH20 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:52 pm

FemaleDogPlease wrote:Russell had issues getting to the rim and finishing at the college level. No way do I take him top 4. I'd take Willie before Russell.

Those problems can be fixed. He's still only 18. Once he gets stronger, he won't struggle to get to the rim anymore.
"I'm ready to be an animal for this city."
- Joakim Noah
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#6119 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:56 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I made up my mind about a month ago that Towns was my #1 pick. I doubt that will change at this point.

What if Okafor drops 25 on him in the final and Towns is a non-factor like last night?
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#6120 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:57 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:the questions that Ive heard that make sense to me about the top 4 are the following:

Russell - can he get his shot off against bigger, quicker and more skilled NBA SGs? Can he defend them? Can he hit with consistency or will he be a volume shooter? No one questions his passing skills.

If you have a jump shot you can get it off. The fact that he has a handle means he can get his shot off at the 2 as well. Last time I checked Jamal Crawford is no athletic beast and gets his shot off. Now...With his Passing Instincts and intelligence, he will be drafted to play the one. Why waste his Skills at the 2. He will be a primary 1 in the L, with spot duty at the 2. If he was 6'2 people would say he would be a PG all day with his skill set. Just cause he 6'5, it dont change the fact ,and now becomes an advantage. There is absolutely NO question can he get his shot off at the 1.. If curry can guard at his position,with some decency so can russell.

Return to New York Knicks