ImageImageImageImageImage

OT Mayweather Paq Finally Happening?!?!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MintberryCrunch
Freshman
And1: 39

Re: OT Mayweather Paq Finally Happening?!?! 

Post#41 » by MintberryCrunch » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:00 pm

As for the matchup itself, it's just a poor stylistic matchup for pacman.

Floyd would finally be the larger man in the ring against his opposition, something he hasn't been in over 5 years since he dominated Marquez.

He also carries a 5 inch reach advantage over pacman. So a guy whose known to be the most accurate puncher and counterpuncher in in the history of the sport would be taking on a smaller man whose known to throw caution to the wind and fight in a very aggressive manner.

Floyd can stay in the center of the ring and keep pacman at bay with his jab or Floyd can go into a philly shell/ shoulder roll and allow manny to come to him and just potshot him all night.

I never predict a KO for mayweather, but if he decides to nail pacman with a strong counterpunch and than follow that up with sitting down on a 2-3 punch power combination, I have no doubt he can get him out of there inside 10 rounds. Pacman's technical flaws and his overall aggressive style will play right into the hands of a master boxer like mayweather.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#42 » by Jim Dolan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 pm

:lol:

shaming, ridicule or conceding to his demands wont make Floyd fight the Pacman. honestly, the guy should probably focus on not beating his wife and repairing the relationship he has with his kids, who he terrorized.

Floyd's a straight up cowardly punk outside of the ring. If you know anything about superstar athletes is that they love to be pampered, have huge egos, and dont like people telling them what to do. The more fans demand Floyd fight Pacquiao, the more he doesnt want to.

I wish I had been alive in the good old days when you had Ali, Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Hagler Hearns, SRL, Duran, all fighting one another.

Ali was **** charismatic too. Dude had a great sense of humor and a great sense of humanity. Floyd has none of those qualities, SMH. Loved how Ali played the villain but also had class when treating media and fans. He "got it".
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#43 » by knickabocker88 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 pm

OT: Chris Algeri is local, graduated from Stony Brook
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#44 » by BKAY » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Floyd got this. This dude has been KNOCKED DOWN .... ONCE in his career. Manny could have had the fight years ago but didn't want to do olympic style drug testing so that should raise some eyebrows. Pac was good for a bit but he's no Floyd mayweather , one of the all time greats,

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KnickswiththeKnack
Starter
And1: 348

Post#45 » by KnickswiththeKnack » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:59 pm

As others have said, a bit late but better late than never I guess? I dunno, I'm so over this fight that I don't even really care anymore. There will always in my mind be a bit of an asterisk next to the outcome, regardless of what it is.
"...and now aaaaaaalll the Knicks with the knack" - Walt "Clyde" Frazier
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#46 » by NYKAL » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Butch718 wrote:
Moose wrote:Pacman had a chance like 5+ years ago...Towards the end of 2008, they could have met for a light welterweight or welterweight fight...maybe agreeing to a 145 weight.

It is a reason why some have Mayweather coming up short when spoken about as one of the best of all time...if you check out his fight history vs. marquee opponents, he takes them on either past their prime or before their/they're peak/ready. Sure, it is smart, but it is also obvious what he is doing after a while...in my opinion, it puts a tarnish on his legacy.

However, he is an amazing boxer and probably the best we've seen in a long while.

Good post.

I think Pac would have won 4-5 years ago, right after he beat Cotto. That's just my opinion. But Pacquiao now loses a 8-4 decision.

Another thing, at the same time Pac can also be accused of fighting guys past their prime. In hindsight De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley and Mararito were all way past it when he dominated them.

And Floyd is clearly the best boxer for his generation. I may dislike the man, but I can't deny his skill. No one touches in him the sweet science.

claiming Flloyd takes on guys past their time is BS because, out of all those guys you claim were past their prime, how many had as much mileage as Ffloyd? Almost none if any.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,596

Post#47 » by Butch718 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
Moose wrote:Pacman had a chance like 5+ years ago...Towards the end of 2008, they could have met for a light welterweight or welterweight fight...maybe agreeing to a 145 weight.

It is a reason why some have Mayweather coming up short when spoken about as one of the best of all time...if you check out his fight history vs. marquee opponents, he takes them on either past their prime or before their/they're peak/ready. Sure, it is smart, but it is also obvious what he is doing after a while...in my opinion, it puts a tarnish on his legacy.

However, he is an amazing boxer and probably the best we've seen in a long while.

Good post.

I think Pac would have won 4-5 years ago, right after he beat Cotto. That's just my opinion. But Pacquiao now loses a 8-4 decision.

Another thing, at the same time Pac can also be accused of fighting guys past their prime. In hindsight De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley and Mararito were all way past it when he dominated them.

And Floyd is clearly the best boxer for his generation. I may dislike the man, but I can't deny his skill. No one touches in him the sweet science.

claiming Flloyd takes on guys past their time is BS because, out of all those guys you claim were past their prime, how many had as much mileage as Ffloyd? Almost none if any.

Huh? I was talking about Pac's opponents, not Mayweather. Reread my post.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,596

Post#48 » by Butch718 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:47 pm

And people seem to forget that Floyd nearly took two years off and only fought once a year for four straight fights which helped preserve his longevity and health, That along with his fighting style.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#49 » by kerry kittles » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:OT: Chris Algeri is local, graduated from Stony Brook

And st Anthony's high school, which happens to be my alma mater as well. This fight is a great opportunity for him.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 415

Post#50 » by Bulls69 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:28 pm

MintberryCrunch wrote:
H_20 wrote:Guys, he was dominating that fight against Marquez before that punch. Let's not act, like he is done and over. He has won 2 matches after that fight and will most likely destroy Chris Algieri in his next fight.

Mayweather was getting rocked by a very slow fighter Maidana. Let's see how the still fast Pacquiao can do to him. :lol:

What you said about floyd is absolutely incorrect. It's funny, people like to mention him getting rocked by single punches as if it's the norm in his fights. When was the last time anyone nailed him flush like that? Almost 5 years ago in the second round against Mosley.

It's a testament to how great of a fighter Floyd mayweather is when people only talk about a singular punch that he gets nailed flushed with once every 5 years or so. He's the greatest defensive fighter in the history of the sport, much more complete in that regard to even some of the defensive stalwarts of the past such as Benitez, Locche, Pep and Sweet Pea.

Maidana landed around 20% of his shots the last fight, the usually average of mayweather' opponents. He nails them at around a 50% clip whereas he gets hit around the 20% mark. Numbers don't lie at all.

Bingo all the hate for Floyd is just dumb to me.
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Bulls69 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Butch718 wrote:And people seem to forget that Floyd nearly took two years off and only fought once a year for four straight fights which helped preserve his longevity and health, That along with his fighting style.

And what does this have to do with Floyd beating Pac Man? I read on another site a moron said Floyd should fight GGG next the hate for this guy is unbelievable.
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Tank_Commander
Banned User
And1: 87

Post#52 » by Tank_Commander » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 am

LOL! Just like I thought - "Bulls69" isn't a dispassionate, objective boxing fan at all; he's a fervent Mayweather groupie. That's why he became so defensive and belligerent when he perceived something that I said about Mayweather to be critical of him.

Anyway, like I said before, all of this discussion is moot. The fight will never happen, because Floyd doesn't want it to happen. Even if Floyd is a betting favorite to win (which he would be), Pacquiao - even a Pacquiao as far into his decline as he currently is - still presents too much risk to Floyd in his quest to go 50-0 and retire after breaking Marciano's record. He will fight guys like Maidana and Amir Khan (e.g. half-way decent belt-holders or former belt-holders, but guys who stand no legitimate chance of beating him) until he notches that 50th win. This objective analysis may chafe the Mayweather faithful like "Bulls69" who think with their hearts rather than analytically, but that is nonetheless the way his career will play out.
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Bulls69 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 am

Tank_Commander wrote:LOL! Just like I thought - "Bulls69" isn't a dispassionate, objective boxing fan at all; he's a fervent Mayweather groupie. That's why he became so defensive and belligerent when he perceived something that I said about Mayweather to be critical of him.

Anyway, like I said before, all of this discussion is moot. The fight will never happen, because Floyd doesn't want it to happen. Even if Floyd is a betting favorite to win (which he would be), Pacquiao - even a Pacquiao as far into his decline as he currently is - still presents too much risk to Floyd in his quest to go 50-0 and retire after breaking Marciano's record. He will fight guys like Maidana and Amir Khan (e.g. half-way decent belt-holders or former belt-holders, but guys who stand no legitimate chance of beating him) until he notches that 50th win. This objective analysis may chafe the Mayweather faithful like "Bulls69" who think with their hearts rather than analytically, but that is nonetheless the way his career will play out.

I guess you don't know the difference between a Welterweight or a HeavyWeight Marciano's record is for heavyweights google it if it helps you facts dude. :banghead: :banghead:
Tank_Commander
Banned User

Post#54 » by Tank_Commander » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:55 am

Bulls69 wrote:
Tank_Commander wrote:LOL! Just like I thought - "Bulls69" isn't a dispassionate, objective boxing fan at all; he's a fervent Mayweather groupie. That's why he became so defensive and belligerent when he perceived something that I said about Mayweather to be critical of him.

I guess you don't know the difference between a Welterweight or a HeavyWeight Marciano's record is for heavyweights google it if it helps you facts dude. :banghead: :banghead:

And with that comment, you expose your ignorance for all to see.

No fighter has retired undefeated, with no draws or losses, in any weight class, with more than 49 wins.

Here's a list of boxing champions (in all weight classes) who retired with no draws or losses:

Edwin Valero (27-0)
Pichit Sitbangprachan (27-0)
Mihai Leu (28-0)
Harry Simon (29-0)
Sven Ottke (34-0)
Joe Calzaghe (46-0)
Rocky Marciano (49-0)

Floyd Mayweather is currently 47-0. He will take three relatively easy fights, then retire atop the aforementioned list.

Do yourself a favor - acknowledge that when it comes to boxing you know far less than you believe that you do, apologize, and then move on.

Keep in mind the first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging.
rwb0376
Senior
And1: 258

Post#55 » by rwb0376 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:05 am

Boxing's last hope. They will never fight, if only to keep interest in their careers.

I left for MMA a long time ago.
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Bulls69 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 am

Tank_Commander wrote:
Bulls69 wrote:

No fighter has retired undefeated, with no draws or losses, in any weight class, with more than 49 wins.

Here's a list of boxing champions (in all weight classes) who retired with no draws or losses:

Edwin Valero (27-0)
Mihai Leu (28-0)
Harry Simon (29-0)
Sven Ottke (34-0)
Joe Calzaghe (46-0)
Rocky Marciano (49-0)

Floyd Mayweather is currently 47-0. He will take three relatively easy fights, then retire atop the aforementioned list.

Do yourself a favor - acknowledge that when it comes to boxing you know far less than you believe that you do, apologize, and then move on.

Stick with MMA JCC was 87-0 at one time I can't recall Floyd ever mention about breaking a record Marciano holds.
Tank_Commander
Banned User

Post#57 » by Tank_Commander » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 am

Bulls69 wrote:
Tank_Commander wrote:
Bulls69 wrote:

Edwin Valero (27-0)
Mihai Leu (28-0)
Harry Simon (29-0)
Sven Ottke (34-0)
Joe Calzaghe (46-0)
Rocky Marciano (49-0)

Stick with MMA JCC was 87-0 at one time I can't recall Floyd ever mention about breaking a record Marciano holds.

Is there a cognitive deficiency at play here? What part of retired undefeated don't you understand?

Return to New York Knicks