ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Best steakhouse's in NYC

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Re: OT - Best steakhouse's in NYC 

Post#41 » by BasicBall » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Keens is kinda dope!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#42 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 pm

All this thread is doing, making think about eating a side of beef. Geezus.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#43 » by pineappleheadindc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Dropping by in peace and with an appetite.

I'm up in your neck of the woods any number of times on business and have always wanted to try out Peter Lugar for not just the steak, but for the old-time NY experience. Problem, it gets difficult to plan my time more than a day or two in advance because of last minute work stuff popping up.

Question: How much in advance do I need to book a reservation for Friday night? Can I get in if I figure out on a Wednesday that I can free myself for dinner two days later?

If not, I guess I'll stalk any number of the non-chain steakhouses mentioned earlier in this thread for a steak and experience that I can't get here in DC (which sucks compared to NY when it comes to food -- and bars, and entertainment, and...well, lots and lots of other stuff. But that's another thread.)

Thanks in advance!

Pine

P.S. Oh and what is this bacon people mention? Just plain ol' strips of bacon??
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,397

Post#44 » by Forbes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:45 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:Dropping by in peace and with an appetite.

I'm up in your neck of the woods any number of times on business and have always wanted to try out Peter Lugar for not just the steak, but for the old-time NY experience. Problem, it gets difficult to plan my time more than a day or two in advance because of last minute work stuff popping up.

Question: How much in advance do I need to book a reservation for Friday night? Can I get in if I figure out on a Wednesday that I can free myself for dinner two days later?

If not, I guess I'll stalk any number of the non-chain steakhouses mentioned earlier in this thread for a steak and experience that I can't get here in DC (which sucks compared to NY when it comes to food -- and bars, and entertainment, and...well, lots and lots of other stuff. But that's another thread.)

Thanks in advance!

Pine

You'll be fine either way, reservation or walk in. But definitely call and make a reservation just to ensure you're good to go because you never know if when you decide to go is the day everyone in NY decides to go and you're stuck hungry and waiting.
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#45 » by KnicksManiac » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:Dropping by in peace and with an appetite.

Thanks in advance!

Pine

You will not be able to get a dinner reservation at Luger's two days in advance. There's a small chance they'll have an opening for dinner at 4:00 or 11:00 or some other odd time, but you will not be able to get anything at a normal hour. If Luger's is not an option, go for Wolfgang's. It was started by the former maitre d from Luger's. There are a few locations in Manhattan -- I'd go with the one at 33rd and Park but it doesn't make much of a difference. Go with the Porterhouse for 2 (or 3 or 4). Medium Rare.
dabestspoona
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#46 » by dabestspoona » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:09 pm

I think wolfgangs is better than Lugers and they do opentable. Minetta Tavern is still the best in NYC, but good luck getting a table.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#47 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:24 pm

This looks really cool.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRzmd1jWEU[/youtube]
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#48 » by Zooropa » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Mastro's from LA just opened up in Midtown. I went to the LA one last week and it was phenomenal. I'm pumped to try the NYC location.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#49 » by poeman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:45 am

I had Del Frisco's in December for my Bday...I made a similar thread. It was amazing. Go to the steakhouse, NOT THE GRILL. Its right by Radio City Music Hall.

Just the perfect steakhouse...DAMN
daily_burger
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#50 » by daily_burger » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:04 am

Had the pleasure of eating at Quality Meats and it's definitely one of the upper tier steak houses in nyc. We had to reserve way in advance but it's worth the trip for all you steak snobs
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#51 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:40 pm

On the flip side, anyone else here eat at that chain restaurant, Longhorn Steakhouse (the one in Rego Park, Queens in particular but I doubt it matters where)? Is it me or does the steak there taste like salty crap? I was with some friends and we decided to grab a quick bite, checked up the Yelp reviews and saw that they were pretty darn good (especially for steaks). But boy oh boy, talk about crap. A medium rare prime rib blackened (with heavy dosages of salt) on all sides? And I've had plenty of 16 ounce steaks and that wasn't a 16 ounce steak that I got unless they burned about 4 ounces of fat off burning the dang thing. Makes me think that a lot of folks that rated those steaks good, have no clue what good steaks are.
Knicks86
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#52 » by Knicks86 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:26 pm

wolfgang's on 33rd on the east side (i forget cross ave) and smith and wollensky have always been excellent
KnicksManiac
RealGM

Post#53 » by KnicksManiac » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Knicks86 wrote:wolfgang's on 33rd on the east side (i forget cross ave)

Corner of 33rd and Park. And because of this thread, I just made a reservation for Thursday.
JSmooth93
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#54 » by JSmooth93 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Clyde's Wine and Dine
Rich2Hassan
RealGM
And1: 5,800

Post#55 » by Rich2Hassan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Outback Steakhouse is another good option.
Heat President of TANK operations.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#56 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 am

N82WILL wrote:Outback Steakhouse is another good option.

Dude, no personal disrespect intended. Okay?

But I don't get the feeling you're from New York, which is why you recommend an Outback.

I'm on the *New York* board to get advice from *New York* natives about a good steakhouse in their fair city. Outback, IMO is no better than an TGIFridays. I enjoy being in New York and enjoying the great local food when I'm in town on business. Competition is so great in the city that to survive you have to be really good -- especially at the high end.

Knicks fans, we got a Ruth's Chris in DC as well as a S&W. So Wolfgang's looks to be a good option for me. I'll check back in with a post-meal report. I appreciate all of the info and advice I've gotten so far.

Good luck in the future to your team as well. The league needs keystone franchises in NYC, LA, and Chicago. You guys are going to be good after a few years of rebuilding. You got Phil as your architect.

Pine
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
KnicksManiac
RealGM

Post#57 » by KnicksManiac » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:32 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:
Knicks86 wrote:wolfgang's on 33rd on the east side (i forget cross ave)

Corner of 33rd and Park. And because of this thread, I just made a reservation for Thursday.

Update. It was ****ing awesome. The steak is obviously the main attraction, but it's also the best creamed spinach and bacon I've ever had. It had been a while since I was there. Thank you to the OP for reminding me to go back.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,973

Post#58 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:01 pm

smith & wollensky. final answer. colorado ribeye.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,973

Post#59 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
N82WILL wrote:Outback Steakhouse is another good option.

Dude, no personal disrespect intended. Okay?

But I don't get the feeling you're from New York, which is why you recommend an Outback.

I'm on the *New York* board to get advice from *New York* natives about a good steakhouse in their fair city. Outback, IMO is no better than an TGIFridays. I enjoy being in New York and enjoying the great local food when I'm in town on business. Competition is so great in the city that to survive you have to be really good -- especially at the high end.

i think he was thumbing you.

and if you already have S&W locally, then yeah... go with wolfgang's. i've heard not-so-great things from luger lately, which is unfortunate, because they really were king a few years back.

anybody been to UMBERTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'S?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Zenith
Senior
And1: 1,553

Post#60 » by Zenith » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Not just a steakhouse but Employee's Only is awesome.

Return to New York Knicks