ImageImageImageImageImage

Rondo goes to Dallas for practically nothing

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,013

Re: Rondo goes to Dallas for practically nothing 

Post#221 » by R-DAWG » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Kidknick! wrote:Welcome back to the Scott Laden era. The Knicks are once again the basketball wasteland. Don't even think about getting Gasol in the off season, let alone the Kevin Durant pipedream. It's a wrap ladies and gentlemen. PMFJ? Lol, what a **** joke.

Let me counter this, and you all know I'm the least positive person about this team. You end up with a top 3 pick and get 1 of the big 3 prospects and that changes everything. Because in my opinion the goal of the organization changes from trying to put a contender around Melo to developing said player into a future all star.

Things are bad but there's a light at the end of the tunnel if the organization takes a long term approach. Unfortunately the only long term thing they do is commit to bad contracts (Calderon, Jose)
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,560

Post#222 » by Fat Kat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Rondo's a very good player when surround by other good players. That makes this trade a win for the Mavs. The only worry is that Rondo isn't a good locker room guy. Shouldn't be a problem if they continue to win. He would've been a terrible fit here.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#223 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Kidknick! wrote:Welcome back to the Scott Laden era. The Knicks are once again the basketball wasteland. Don't even think about getting Gasol in the off season, let alone the Kevin Durant pipedream. It's a wrap ladies and gentlemen. PMFJ? Lol, what a **** joke.

Let me counter this, and you all know I'm the least positive person about this team. You end up with a top 3 pick and get 1 of the big 3 prospects and that changes everything. Because in my opinion the goal of the organization changes from trying to put a contender around Melo to developing said player into a future all star.

Things are bad but there's a light at the end of the tunnel if the organization takes a long term approach. Unfortunately the only long term thing they do is commit to bad contracts (Calderon, Jose)

To add, FA was always an uncertainty.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,013

Post#224 » by R-DAWG » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Yodi2007 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:get ready to love this face.....pause

Only way the Knick's sees this guy's face if they overpay for him! He's 30 y/o and will be looking for a near max deal! Or he may decide to stay in ATL with Teague and Horford as they have really geled as of late!

I don't think Millsap get's a near max deal. I think something in the 4 year, $50 million range should be enough to get it done. Even if you stretch and give him $55 million over 4 years his starting number is still around $13 million. That should leave us with between $9-10 million in additional space to fill out the roster. Additionally, if you move Calderon and don't sign anyone long term next summer besides Millsap now you walk into 2016 with a max slot to compliment Melo, Millsap, 2015 1st, and THJ. Again, this is why you don't take on Calderon's deal but that's another story.

But I really like Millsap - he's a very good player.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#225 » by Fat Kat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Phil likes size at every position, especially the front court. Can't see him signing Milsap.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#226 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Instead of being bitter, we should take notes from Dallas. They missed out on some big fish, but their patience and waiting for the right deals is paying off.

We can build piece by piece over a few years. It doesnt have to be done all at once.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#227 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:10 pm

CKamm1 wrote:Where's the people who said that 2016 1st we gave up for Bargnani was meaningless?

I think most of them have already been banned....or should be
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,987

Post#228 » by BigShot Bojan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Yodi2007 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:get ready to love this face.....pause

Only way the Knick's sees this guy's face if they overpay for him! He's 30 y/o and will be looking for a near max deal! Or he may decide to stay in ATL with Teague and Horford as they have really geled as of late!

I don't think Millsap get's a near max deal. I think something in the 4 year, $50 million range should be enough to get it done. Even if you stretch and give him $55 million over 4 years his starting number is still around $13 million. That should leave us with between $9-10 million in additional space to fill out the roster. Additionally, if you move Calderon and don't sign anyone long term next summer besides Millsap now you walk into 2016 with a max slot to compliment Melo, Millsap, 2015 1st, and THJ. Again, this is why you don't take on Calderon's deal but that's another story.

But I really like Millsap - he's a very good player.
yuck ill pass...R Lopez and the 4 million saved every day all day...
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Dbloc123
Sixth Man
And1: 406

Post#229 » by Dbloc123 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Marc J. Spears: On his thoughts of Rajon Rando going to Dallas, Russell Westbrook: "Nothing."

:lol: I love westbrook
J.R. Smith's last-second whiff left the Knicks with a sixth straight loss. But J.R. would do it again. "I think we went with the best shot," he said.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#230 » by Boarder Patrol » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Rondo isn't a fit here. People who want us to make reactionary moves that would get us maybe the 10th seed are the reason we're so bad.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#231 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Not crying over spilled milk, it already happened but to say he doesn't fit at all here is just plain wrong. He would have helped a ton on the court and with the KNicks perimeter defense problems. Perhaps he isn't an IDEAL fit but he still would have helped a lot.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#232 » by bballoctober » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Rondo's a very good player when surround by other good players. That makes this trade a win for the Mavs. The only worry is that Rondo isn't a good locker room guy. Shouldn't be a problem if they continue to win. He would've been a terrible fit here.

That's a lie. He just like to break plays every now and then which infuriates his coach. But his teammates love him and the coach tolerates his freeflow for the most part because he's a hell of a player.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#233 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Phil likes size at every position, especially the front court. Can't see him signing Milsap.

I'm not sure about that... A lot of his title teams had Rodman or Horry at the 4 spot, who are a similar size as Millsap.

I like Millsap, but IMO Draymond Green is a younger and better version who might even cost less. So I'd at least like to see us make a serious bid for him before for settling on Millsap.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#234 » by TheBigBoss » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
kane wrote:How bitter this board is going to be if Tyson gets a second ring :o

I won't be, he won't be earning this 2nd one, he'll be carried to it.

Fake leader who mails it in when the going gets tough.

Can one of you mods do something so I can And1 this post more than one time please?
RayFinkle
Junior
And1: 13

Post#235 » by RayFinkle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:Rondo isn't a fit here. People who want us to make reactionary moves that would get us maybe the 10th seed are the reason we're so bad.

I basically agree with this.
RayFinkle
Junior
And1: 13

Post#236 » by RayFinkle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:56 pm

FemaleDogPlease wrote:Phil doing nothing is exactly what the Knicks need right now.

Knicks need a top pick more than they need Rondo.

BINGO
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#237 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:57 pm

yb90 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
yb90 wrote:Brandan Wright is a baller that can also be flipped for picks. If you look at some of his numbers the guy has a good jumper to.

Wright is shooting 75% from the field with 1.6 blks. He is basically a skinny Taj Gibson. He is the perfect backup big and I hope the Knicks can get him. Although if I was GS, LAC, CLe, and Portland I would be on the phone with Boston right now.

LOL...ummm...what? This entire post is wrong. I'm sorry dude. He's a finisher and can contest shots. He can't shoot for **** and isn't a very good post defender. He's absolutely nothing like Gibson.

The guy shot 49% and 54% the last two years on his jump shots. Does he shoot a lot of long twos no but why should he. He is not just a finisher like Tyson. all those little baby jumpers and occasional 15ft jumpers that NY bigs pass up or miss are ones he is capable of making. Is he as good of post defender as Gibson, no, but he does rebound and block shots similar to Gibson per 36 number. Gibson is the better player of course because he can actually maintain a heavy work load. However, Wright is a very good role player and the kind of backup big good teams have.

The average distance of his shots for this year is 2.5 feet and last year is 4 feet. He has taken 4 shots this year outside of 10 feet and took 42 all of last season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ting/2015/
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ting/2014/

Here are his shooting splits. Look at the shot chart. He is not a jump shooter, never has been, and never will be. He's nothing like GIbson. Wright is a nice backup center, but ask him to do anything more than finish in the paint and his offensive efficiency goes WAY down. Ask any Mavericks fan this question and they'd say the same thing.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#238 » by Fat Kat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:00 pm

bballoctober wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:Rondo's a very good player when surround by other good players. That makes this trade a win for the Mavs. The only worry is that Rondo isn't a good locker room guy. Shouldn't be a problem if they continue to win. He would've been a terrible fit here.

That's a lie. He just like to break plays every now and then which infuriates his coach. But his teammates love him and the coach tolerates his freeflow for the most part because he's a hell of a player.

According to multiple sources, Rondo’s errors were being pointed out when he arose and began discussing the mistakes of his teammates. Loudly. Using harsh language.

Coach Doc Rivers got up and fired back, and Rondo threw a bottle that shattered the video screen. He bolted from the practice facility and was prevented from returning when he tried later.

Rondo was in charge of a team that won just 24 games, he'd throw a no-look bullet and when it was dropped out of bounds he'd roll his eyes in exasperation. If he set up a shooter for the open jumper and it clanged off the rim, the shooter was subjected to the Rondo stare, a look steeped in disdain and aggravation.

Rivers hauled his supposed floor leader into his office and asked him, "Do you know your teammates hate playing with you?"

Rondo's had character issues that date back to college. Why do you think Ainge was so quick to ship him out? In this market, with these reporters, he would've been crucified. The media and fans still can't get over JR untying shoes. There are more reported stories if you care to look for them, but my guess is that there are a plethora of untold incidents.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#239 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
bballoctober wrote:

According to multiple sources, Rondo’s errors were being pointed out when he arose and began discussing the mistakes of his teammates. Loudly. Using harsh language.

Coach Doc Rivers got up and fired back, and Rondo threw a bottle that shattered the video screen. He bolted from the practice facility and was prevented from returning when he tried later.

Rondo was in charge of a team that won just 24 games, he'd throw a no-look bullet and when it was dropped out of bounds he'd roll his eyes in exasperation. If he set up a shooter for the open jumper and it clanged off the rim, the shooter was subjected to the Rondo stare, a look steeped in disdain and aggravation.

Rivers hauled his supposed floor leader into his office and asked him, "Do you know your teammates hate playing with you?"

Rondo's had character issues that date back to college. Why do you think Ainge was so quick to ship him out? In this market, with these reporters, he would've been crucified. The media and fans still can't get over JR untying shoes. There are more reported stories if you care to look for them, but my guess is that there are a plethora of untold incidents.

I think his character issues relate back to his attitude about winning / basically being a perfectionist on the court, but you're 100% right with this.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,040

Post#240 » by god shammgod » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Phil likes size at every position, especially the front court. Can't see him signing Milsap.

he might be the only player he can get though

Return to New York Knicks