ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you risk getting shut out of FA or over spend?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: Would you risk getting shut out of FA or over spend? 

Post#101 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 8, 2015 3:59 pm

Meat wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
melo mvp 15 wrote:Exactly. Some might call giving Butler a MAX deal or Harris/Green/Jackson $10 mil/year an overpay, but they could definitely end up playing up to those contracts.

Honestly there are about 20-30 FAs that could help the Knicks as a starter, odds are we get 1-2 of them. But if for whatever reason we don't (maybe we're cautious about over-paying or players just don't want to come), the trade market will be available. Like we could probably get GSW's first round pick if we absorbed Lee for nothing but capspace. That gives them a HUGE TPE and the flexibility to re-sign Green. It doesn't hurt our 2016 capspace, Lee would help us a bit in 2015-2016 (a year we can't tank since we have no first), and give us GSW's pick.

Oh hell no. None of those guys are close to worth it.

the average salary of an nba player is about 5mil which is 8% of the cap.
The cap is expected rise to 90mil in the next 3 years. 10mil a year with a 90mil cap is 9%. you're telling me jackson, harris or jackson arent worth 1% above average when all is said and done?

First off your math is bad. 10/90 is 11%. Secondly the difference between 8% and 11% is large. 5 mil is the average and when the cap expands ~7 million will be the average (and that's if the cap goes to 90 mil because we don't know and most modest guesses have 80 mil as the cap). Overpaying someone by 3 million a year is a lot.

Teams win by getting deals and players making way less than they are worth. It's a fact.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#102 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:39 pm

knicksh20b wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:All depends on the draft. Getting a top 3 pick is crucial. Like I said a few days back, the worst team never gets the top pick so we better start winning some meaningless games.

Uh...I don't know about this logic man. It's not like we have a higher chance of getting the 1st pick if we're 2nd to last in the NBA. It's just that the worst seed isn't guaranteed a majority chance to get the 1st overall pick. The only way your logic works is if we're able to acquire multiple lottery picks, that when added up, have a higher chance of getting the 1st pick.

Also, I think it's bull when people say New York has no patience for rebuilding. We have a few franchises who have been crap for a long time and they still have lots of fans. Maybe it's not rebuilding but accidental sucking over the span of several years, though...Even so, if we can handle that accidental sucking, we can handle rebuilding. Not that I think we should rebuild.

I'm literally using the actual facts. Go check the last 10+ years. The worst team has not gotten the first pick. Id like to think that this would mean the worst team should get the pick this year since missing out so many years, but each draft is independent. Anything can happen. Like CLE gettin 3 #1's in 4 yrs.

The NBA needs to reevaluate the lottery system to make it dependent on previous years to prevent teams from getting the #1 pick 2 years in a row. But that's another argument for another day.

Let's get Okafur or Muday and I'll be happy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,590

Post#103 » by Meat » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:42 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Meat wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Oh hell no. None of those guys are close to worth it.

the average salary of an nba player is about 5mil which is 8% of the cap.
The cap is expected rise to 90mil in the next 3 years. 10mil a year with a 90mil cap is 9%. you're telling me jackson, harris or jackson arent worth 1% above average when all is said and done?

First off your math is bad. 10/90 is 11%. Secondly the difference between 8% and 11% is large. 5 mil is the average and when the cap expands ~7 million will be the average (and that's if the cap goes to 90 mil because we don't know and most modest guesses have 80 mil as the cap). Overpaying someone by 3 million a year is a lot.

Teams win by getting deals and players making way less than they are worth. It's a fact.

again though those are the average salaries, average. those 3 players you bolded are well above average.

this notion that we'll get a "deal" or get players here for less than they're worth is laughable. players know their worth, the players association exist almost exclusively to get players more money, they are no more discounts to be had
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#104 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:52 pm

Meat wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Meat wrote:the average salary of an nba player is about 5mil which is 8% of the cap.

again though those are the average salaries, average. those 3 players you bolded are well above average.

this notion that we'll get a "deal" or get players here for less than they're worth is laughable. players know their worth, the players association exist almost exclusively to get players more money, they are no more discounts to be had

They aren't well above average they're just above average (especially Danny freaking Green) and this is assuming the cap increases nearly 150%.

And no one is saying we'll get a deal. Sign the underrated guys. The Dragics and Amir Johnsons of the world.

EDIT: Slow moment. I didn't realize Draymond was a FA. I'd definitely make that deal. Not sure how he'd fit in a Odom type role next to Melo but it can't be too bad outside of him being relied on to make midrange jumpers.
MKCATL
Starter
And1: 707

Post#105 » by MKCATL » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:57 pm

Does anyone think Phils going to spend everything this offseason? Does he have to save some for a run at KD in 2016?
"I am by no means an expert in basketball." -James Dolan
Meat
Head Coach

Post#106 » by Meat » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:08 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Meat wrote:
E-Balla wrote:First off your math is bad. 10/90 is 11%. Secondly the difference between 8% and 11% is large. 5 mil is the average and when the cap expands ~7 million will be the average (and that's if the cap goes to 90 mil because we don't know and most modest guesses have 80 mil as the cap). Overpaying someone by 3 million a year is a lot.

They aren't well above average they're just above average (especially Danny freaking Green) and this is assuming the cap increases nearly 150%.

And no one is saying we'll get a deal. Sign the underrated guys. The Dragics and Amir Johnsons of the world.

green=draymond green(i assume).
Meat
Head Coach

Post#107 » by Meat » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:09 pm

MKCATL wrote:Does anyone think Phils going to spend everything this offseason? Does he have to save some for a run at KD in 2016?

he doesn't, the cap will raise next year at the very least the knicks will be able to sign and trade for durrant
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#108 » by seren » Thu Jan 8, 2015 6:23 pm

Here is a summer plan if things don't work well: Sign Tyson for 4/56 and Shump for 4/40. We could be a playoff team.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#109 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 6:54 pm

seren wrote:Here is a summer plan if things don't work well: Sign Tyson for 4/56 and Shump for 4/40. We could be a playoff team.

Let's hope Felton and JR opt out and we can give them whatever's left

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#110 » by siar617 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 11:40 pm

Why do people keep talking about a full rebuild as if that's not what we are doing?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,190

Post#111 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Jan 9, 2015 1:28 am

siar617 wrote:Why do people keep talking about a full rebuild as if that's not what we are doing?

Cause Melo is still here. Not a full rebuild, I'm sorry.
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#112 » by siar617 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 3:06 am

knicksh20b wrote:
siar617 wrote:Why do people keep talking about a full rebuild as if that's not what we are doing?

That makes no sense
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#113 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Fri Jan 9, 2015 3:25 am

MKCATL wrote:Does anyone think Phils going to spend everything this offseason? Does he have to save some for a run at KD in 2016?

Absolutely. He'll overpay guys on one-year deals or trade for expiring. It's really not that hard to use $25m in cap space.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#114 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 9, 2015 3:37 am

With the new salary cap players will likely sign short deals with their own teams or ask for opt outs to get a bigger pay day. Overpay. Or focus on RFAs.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using RealGM Forums mobile app
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#115 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 3:44 am

has anyone seen this roster. PJax is spending that money. If it means he settles for Affalo, BroLo and RoLo, he will spend that money. No pick forces his hand. Unless he's smart enough to take Gallo or McGee of their hands to get that 2016 pick

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#116 » by knicks94 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 4:57 am

Of course I would.We could just work out a sign and trade with Bargnani and get back our 1st round pick from Toronto.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,190

Post#117 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Jan 9, 2015 6:46 am

siar617 wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

That makes no sense

Really? A full rebuild would entail Melo being moved for youth and picks and building around our pick this summer. Philly is in the middle of a full rebuild. Do you see the difference?
baubo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,274

Post#118 » by baubo » Fri Jan 9, 2015 8:08 am

It feels to me Knicks fans have been so used to Knicks ways of looking only at the present, that yall have forgotten about the concept of "potential."

FA history is littered with guys who were thought of as okay players before blossoming. None thought Dragic's contract was a steal. Wes Mathews was thought of to be an overpay for someone with no track record. Monta Ellis was a toxic player and got only $8mil. Omer Asik got $8mil. Robin Lopez got $5mil after being crap in NO. These are all guys whose contracts were either considered overpay or risky and since blossomed.

There are usually a couple of bargains every FA where everyone question the move at first glance. You just have to know where to find them.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#119 » by N8isScofield » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:22 am

knicksh20b wrote:
siar617 wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

That makes no sense

Really? A full rebuild would entail Melo being moved for youth and picks and building around our pick this summer. Philly is in the middle of a full rebuild. Do you see the difference?

So when Miami signed Lebron and Bosh it wasn't a full rebuild because Wade was already there? :lol:
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,435

Post#120 » by duetta » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:55 am

Better to get shut out and save your cap room for another day. The problem, of course, is the lack of a 2016 pick (which means that the team could suffer quite a lot of pain and have little to show for it in 2016 - which would provide an object less as to why you should never, ever, ever trade unprotected picks years in advance.

Return to New York Knicks