ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Mike Woodson is a good man

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Re: OT: Mike Woodson is a good man 

Post#21 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Awesome story. Him being a fantastic human being does not negate his horrible coaching. Having said that, rather have the angel of a human, where it actually matters than have a wizard of a coach for entertainment.

Extremely touching story and as a human/person/man Mike Woodson has earned every blessing he has received and more to come.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,435

Post#22 » by duetta » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Great story.

Fact is, the Knick franchise had its one bright moment over the past decade during his first season and a half as coach. As his departure has not cured our obvious ills.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,140

Post#23 » by Capn'O » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:03 pm

Good story on Woody. You could tell he was a really good guy and the players liked him a lot. The Wood&Son nickname was pretty accurate. At some point, he seemed to lose the group though. Or they lost themselves.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#24 » by denterprise » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:22 pm

This is a great story and one that transcends basketball. Woodson is a good man and coach. The Knick problems were bigger than any coach but he still managed to give us a good run. Championship coaches like Larry Brown and Lenny Lenny Wilkens could not turn this team around. Hopefully he will get another chance and have a long run with them.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#25 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:38 pm

Always thought that woodson was a good guy. Just be glad that he didn't act like one of defensive schemes and change his mind about the check.
Imageceltics
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#26 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:04 pm

We always liked woody

We just didn't always like the job he did coaching here

I wish him the best of luck
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#27 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:59 am

Knicksman780 wrote:Hello everybody. I just wanted to share with you a story regarding my family and Mike Woodson, my buddy.

My cousin Angel and his wife Jenny had a horrific accident last year. Jenny was 8 months pregnant on the way to a doctors appointment when she was hit by a tow truck while crossing the street. The police report said that she flew approximately 15 yards in the air, but it also said that cameras showed then she shielded her stomach thus saving her baby's life. She ended up in a coma. While she was still in a coma, she suddenly came out one day in serious distress. They determined that she was in labor and delivered the baby by c-section. Then she was placed in a medically induced coma. It was about that time the Clippers were playing the Magic and my buddy Mike Woodson would be in town. I had always planned to go to this game, but since I was helping my cousin create a fundraiser at a local sports bar, I had reservations in going. But Woody insisted that I go. So me and my buddy that introduced me to Woody decided to go. As usual, we stayed in the team hotel and went to shoot around. I met all the players, and had dinner with Woody that night. While back in the hotel, Woody said that he wanted to record a video to deliver to my cousin Angel and his family. So we recorded this video http://youtu.be/AeMcbzlqlac

After the game, when we went back to the hotel, Woody met us in the lobby and handed me a check for a large sum to give to my cousin for the fundraiser. You can imagine my family being in awe due to the generosity of Woody. To top it off, Woody even called me on Christmas Eve to wish me and my family a Merry Christmas.

I tell you this just to let you know what a good person Woody is, and also I know that my cousin story has made national news to the point where he will be on the Dr. Oz Show with his wife, who has miraculously recovered and gained almost 90 percent back of her movement and memory and the child, properly named Angel, who is now known as the miracle baby because she didn't have any issues whatsoever.

thanks for taking the time to read this

Wow that's an amazing story and i'm happy to hear that your cousin and her baby came out of it alright.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#28 » by N8isScofield » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:34 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I respect Wood.

It's a shame that Cheryl didn't. Perhaps then she and Larry could have reconciled.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,464

Post#29 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:18 am

Capn'O wrote:Good story on Woody. You could tell he was a really good guy and the players liked him a lot. The Wood&Son nickname was pretty accurate. At some point, he seemed to lose the group though. Or they lost themselves.

Woodson is the type of coach that needs an completely mature team and one that can be mature enough on the court to freestyle a little bit. He didn't have that here. But his fathering of JR in the Miami series his first year the year D'antoni got canned got me off the Woodson boat with the quickness. He saw something inside of JR that he thought he could change for good but Smith fooled him and let him down in the end.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#30 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 am

Never understood the Woodson hate. How many Knicks coaches have won playoff games let alone series in the last 14 years? I believe the answer is one. Maybe someone can enlighten me who that coach is?
kej718
Sixth Man
And1: 499

Post#31 » by kej718 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:08 am

He always seemed like a good dude, unfortunately he always had a knuckle head on his team like Jr or Josh Smith.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,140

Post#32 » by Capn'O » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:10 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Good story on Woody. You could tell he was a really good guy and the players liked him a lot. The Wood&Son nickname was pretty accurate. At some point, he seemed to lose the group though. Or they lost themselves.

Woodson is the type of coach that needs an completely mature team and one that can be mature enough on the court to freestyle a little bit. He didn't have that here. But his fathering of JR in the Miami series his first year the year D'antoni got canned got me off the Woodson boat with the quickness. He saw something inside of JR that he thought he could change for good but Smith fooled him and let him down in the end.

I've known a few "JR Smiths." Nicest guys, fun to be around, but they just keep messing up. He did get fooled, indeed. Woodson picked up a lot from Larry Brown but not that hard line he put in the sand.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
sixersblue
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#33 » by sixersblue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:26 am

great story. I respect Woodson. Best wishes to Knicksman and family.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#34 » by BKlutch » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:29 pm

This is a great story. It doesn't surprise me, because that's his real nature. I still think he wasn't the most strategic head coach, but his men liked him and I think he genuinely liked them. It may just be that as an assistant coach, his talents with the team will go further than his offensive planning did (so many last 5 minute collapse when Melo was doubled and tripled). It's hard not to wish Woody well, wherever he is. As a person, he's tops.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#35 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I respect Wood.

I revere wood!
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#36 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:36 pm

Yes, a good person....and a HORRIBLE judge of character when it comes to motivating/handling privileged multi-millionaires.
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#37 » by markdeez33 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Always loved Woody. Loved him as Hawks coach. Loved him as Knicks coach. Just didn't agree with a lot of his philosophies, etc. But as a man? Mike Woodson is the kind of coach that, in the right situation, players would go to war for. I know he lost the locker room in NY, but you can't tell me Woody wasn't an integral part of that 54 win year, a few years back. A lot of that had to do with the mindset that Woody initiated in camp.

I could always tell that Woody was a stern, but loving, caring, even gentle guy. It must be great to have him as a friend. I would love to chop it up with Woody, especially about his tenure with the Knicks - what went right and what went wrong.

It was the right time for Woody to depart from us, he was never meant to be here long-term anyway. He came in to save D'Antoni and ended up a scapegoat.

Woody is a damn saint. He will ALWAYS have a coaching gig - whether it's NBA or college or another pro league - whether as a head coach or an assistant.

I can't say enough good things about Woody, THE MAN. There are some glaring issues about Woody, THE COACH. But that doesn't change how I feel about Woody. Personality-wise, Woody is my favorite Knicks coach of all-time behind Hubie Brown, Jeff Van Gundy, and Don Nelson (who was HORRIBLE here). But you can just tell Woody is a genuine guy. A great guy.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!!!!!

Return to New York Knicks