ImageImageImageImageImage

Reality check about talent

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Reality check about talent 

Post#1 » by BRIGGS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:20 am

All of a sudden 2 15th men and a D leaguer are not going to turn into a championship core. We got a up bump from Carmelo coming back and teams taking us soft(and we were fortunate that Durant and Davis were out) While I will agree 100% that Thomas and Galloway deserved compensation for their quality play--I think they took a step up against some bigger athletes tonight and it showed. I was asked today why would we need Deangelo Russell for PG when we already have Langston Galloway. The guy is a good guy who posted but it shows how easy it is to sometimes look a gift horse in the mouth. We sck because we dont have enough talent. Guys like Galloway Thomas heck even hardaway can play well when they "play off "talent" Talented players will give them better opportunities to succeed. We were VERY small inside eerily small and then the Pacers were bigger and or quicker on the perimeter. Its good we might have some more useful bench players--but thats all we have there.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Re: Reality check about talent 

Post#2 » by Moose » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:23 am

We need Russell, Okafor, Stanley Johnson, Millsap, Matthews...

We know we suck.

We have a lack of talent at just about every position on this roster.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,349

Post#3 » by rajajackal » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:51 am

don't wanna trade melo, but give me the okafor + russell combo

gasol/cole
okafor/thomas
draymond/early
leonard/hardaway JR
russell/galloway
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,025

Post#4 » by DaGawd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:08 am

We're not getting Russel AND Okafor..just stop
BaF
Washington Wizards
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,349

Post#5 » by rajajackal » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:53 am

DaGawd wrote:We're not getting Russel AND Okafor..just stop

we're on the forum of a site predicated upon fantasy-GMing. let me dream :cry:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,705

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 am

No one is saying we have a "championship core" here, yet. But we found some nice players who could be solid contributors off the bench and that can play in this system. Not having Amare and Cole tonight really hurt against a big Indiana team. Plus, it was an away game the night after a home game. Fatigue played a role as well. Look, this team as presently constituted is going to play better than the team with JR, Shump and Dalembert. I have no doubt that Phil will be making more moves as we approach the trade deadline.
Free Palestine
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#7 » by Sark » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:59 am

Galloway and Thomas are 8 and 9 men of the rotation, meaning they MIGHT see a few playoff minutes here or there, but they are not going to be contributors to any real playoff team. That's why developing them is so pointless. They're not going to be factors in any future plans.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#8 » by BRIGGS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:11 am

Galloway's too small to be considered a starter. I think anyone who watched the game tonight saw that Rodney Stuckey physically dominated him. He was having trouble guarding and getting his shot off.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,973

Post#9 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:17 am

y'all can't get too high or low about these growing pains-azz games
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#10 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 am

High draft pick. Installing the system and a winning culture. Finding players that fit to help fill out the roster. Having at least one starter on the roster besides Melo. That is what this season is about. Unfortunately we haven't found that starter. Jose is all we have. He might get traded. Other than that...nothing else is going to happen.

Fans are excited to see some unselfish hard working humble basketball players. The 3 10ers have completely changed the mood of this team and it's fan base. If anyone is thinking we found a championship core...I haven't heard it. The guys who started last night...will be 2nd unit guys if we play FA properly. That makes us a deep team. Cheap role playing bejch guys are A HUGE part of championship teams. We are sifting through those players right now.
:beer: RIP mags
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 pm

BRIGGS wrote:All of a sudden 2 15th men and a D leaguer are not going to turn into a championship core. We got a up bump from Carmelo coming back and teams taking us soft(and we were fortunate that Durant and Davis were out) While I will agree 100% that Thomas and Galloway deserved compensation for their quality play--I think they took a step up against some bigger athletes tonight and it showed. I was asked today why would we need Deangelo Russell for PG when we already have Langston Galloway. The guy is a good guy who posted but it shows how easy it is to sometimes look a gift horse in the mouth. We sck because we dont have enough talent. Guys like Galloway Thomas heck even hardaway can play well when they "play off "talent" Talented players will give them better opportunities to succeed. We were VERY small inside eerily small and then the Pacers were bigger and or quicker on the perimeter. Its good we might have some more useful bench players--but thats all we have there.

I disagree big time. We sucked because we had an awkward roster with a lot of ill fitting parts. We also had guys that were having trouble with triangle system playing alot of minutes. On top of that and perhaps biggest reason we sucked was abysmal perimeter defense. Phils recent moves have addressed all three hence the knicks don't suck as much. They are still not a good team but they are way more competitive now. This current group plays hard and they do it together. Talent is important but it's not more important than cohesion.

The pacers aren't a good team either. I think it being the second of a back to back for the knicks was a big factor.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#12 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 pm

BRIGGS wrote:Galloway's too small to be considered a starter. I think anyone who watched the game tonight saw that Rodney Stuckey physically dominated him. He was having trouble guarding and getting his shot off.

Galloway is a rookie and he had just guarded Westbrook the night before. Your cherry picking.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#13 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Galloway's too small to be considered a starter. I think anyone who watched the game tonight saw that Rodney Stuckey physically dominated him. He was having trouble guarding and getting his shot off.

Galloway is a rookie and he had just guarded Westbrook the night before. Your cherry picking.

People either love watching these young guys who have some sort of expectation on them to fail miserably so they can have some sort of self fulfillment of being right about a guy on our own team or expect them to be the next great thing and then get pissed off when they're not. It's sad sometimes.

Can't we just leave it at Galloway has been a nice, heady, and young player for us so far who has some nice potential and hope he turns out ok?
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:32 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

People either love watching these young guys who have some sort of expectation on them to fail miserably so they can have some sort of self fulfillment of being right about a guy on our own team or expect them to be the next great thing and then get pissed off when they're not. It's sad sometimes.

Can't we just leave it at Galloway has been a nice, heady, and young player for us so far who has some nice potential and hope he turns out ok?

No. A lot of Knicks fans unfortunately and I hate to say this, a lot of Knicks fans are psychologically damaged. They have this weird thing for hyping rooks up beyond belief and then tearing them apart when they don't live up to their crazy expectations.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#15 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

BRIGGS wrote:All of a sudden 2 15th men and a D leaguer are not going to turn into a championship core. We got a up bump from Carmelo coming back and teams taking us soft(and we were fortunate that Durant and Davis were out) While I will agree 100% that Thomas and Galloway deserved compensation for their quality play--I think they took a step up against some bigger athletes tonight and it showed. I was asked today why would we need Deangelo Russell for PG when we already have Langston Galloway. The guy is a good guy who posted but it shows how easy it is to sometimes look a gift horse in the mouth. We sck because we dont have enough talent. Guys like Galloway Thomas heck even hardaway can play well when they "play off "talent" Talented players will give them better opportunities to succeed. We were VERY small inside eerily small and then the Pacers were bigger and or quicker on the perimeter. Its good we might have some more useful bench players--but thats all we have there.

I'm not understanding where you're going with this thread but I think you're saying we don't have enough talent as we sit right now and I would think that that's pretty obvious? Every single player that we have on the team right now is a bench player except Melo and I think Calderon could be our starting PG once we get better players on this team and if Phil can't find a good trade for him and decides to spend our cap on getting a couple big men at the 4 and 5. Other than that our team is full of bench players.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#16 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:43 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:No one is saying we have a "championship core" here, yet. But we found some nice players who could be solid contributors off the bench and that can play in this system. Not having Amare and Cole tonight really hurt against a big Indiana team. Plus, it was an away game the night after a home game. Fatigue played a role as well. Look, this team as presently constituted is going to play better than the team with JR, Shump and Dalembert. I have no doubt that Phil will be making more moves as we approach the trade deadline.

Exactly. Phil and Fisher are doing exactly what they said they were gonna have to do to get things started and that first step is changing the culture of the Knicks and I like what's going on.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#17 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Who ever said Galloway or Thomas would be starters on the team Phil builds? He's a combo guard off the bench.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#18 » by NYKAL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:17 pm

no one expect these guys to be anything but bench players next season (if they are even on the team.) Think you are OVERRATING how we here feel/felt about them.

What we are please by is the fact that they are playing HARD every game as opposed to the lackadaisical play of the guys we got rid of. No one expects them to be world beaters but, just playing HARD will win you a few games (which we have seen).
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,973

Post#19 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:02 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:

I disagree big time. We sucked because we had an awkward roster with a lot of ill fitting parts. We also had guys that were having trouble with triangle system playing alot of minutes. On top of that and perhaps biggest reason we sucked was abysmal perimeter defense. Phils recent moves have addressed all three hence the knicks don't suck as much. They are still not a good team but they are way more competitive now. This current group plays hard and they do it together. Talent is important but it's not more important than cohesion.

The pacers aren't a good team either. I think it being the second of a back to back for the knicks was a big factor.

amen. didn't want to go into depth and beat a dying horse. but, this!

we are seeing cohesion. we still suck. sucking with cohesion is better than sucking without.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#20 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I must of missed the post when folks said the 3 10ers were going to lead us to the promised land.

Stop acting like we drafted these guys #1 overall. They're 10 day contracts with the hope that one can show they're worthy of a spot next year when we are going all in on restructuring of the roster. That's all it is. And if people get excited that we found something, why are you trying to take that excitement away? What the **** else do we have to look forward to when watching these games in a tanking season?

The tank has never been safer. We may have a rotation player or two who will take the vet min. Win-Win
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks