ImageImageImageImageImage

no love for Roy Hibbert ?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

finesse185
Freshman
And1: 9

Re: no love for Roy Hibbert ? 

Post#21 » by finesse185 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:09 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
finesse185 wrote:For the last 3 years guards have been walking to the paint having career nights I truly believe Roy can fix that. At around 60/and 4 pretty fair

Let me ask you.. why have guards been walking to the paint?

Yes they blow by our guards but after our guys get beat no one steps up. Example the melo block melo blew pass George but hibbert was there to stop him.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#22 » by moocow007 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 am

Yeah I don't think Hibbert would last a minute under the microscope in NY. The first time the NY media criticizes him he'll roll into a ball and not come out of it for 4 years and a day.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,464

Post#23 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:27 am

finesse185 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
finesse185 wrote:For the last 3 years guards have been walking to the paint having career nights I truly believe Roy can fix that. At around 60/and 4 pretty fair

Yes they blow by our guards but after our guys get beat no one steps up. Example the melo block melo blew pass George but hibbert was there to stop him.

So wouldn't it make more sense to get guards they can't blow by first?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#24 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:33 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
finesse185 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

guards in this league are given an incredible amount of room to score and very little room to defend

we've had horrific defensive guards recently but if we look around the league there are not a lot of guards who defend with much success against the scoring mentality of the elite guards in todays NBA

Rondo, Westbrook, Paul

besides these three stars Im not sure who we can use as examples of guards who can keep guys out of the paint

even Curry and Harden are top of the league in steals but no one would call them defensive stoppers

Unless we are going after Tony Allen Im not sure who we can really talk about

this draft has Muiday as a potential stopper ... anyone else?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#25 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
finesse185 wrote:

guards in this league are given an incredible amount of room to score and very little room to defend

we've had horrific defensive guards recently but if we look around the league there are not a lot of guards who defend with much success against the scoring mentality of the elite guards in todays NBA

Rondo, Westbrook, Paul

besides these three stars Im not sure who we can use as examples of guards who can keep guys out of the paint

even Curry and Harden are top of the league in steals but no one would call them defensive stoppers

It's not specific to guards the concept is specific to the perimeter as a whole. The best way to defend the rim is from the perimeter. The most notable defensive "stoppers" were guys on the perimeter.. Allen, Bowen, Artest, Leonard (small sample size), Posey, Cooper, Pippen, D.Johnson. All the guys in this list were integral parts in several championships.

And further, specific to our situation.. Phil has had extreme amounts of success zeroing in on opposing PG's with a stronger, bigger perimeter defender... think Lebron on Parker the year Miami beat San Antonio. He used Pippen to pressure Magic a whole series in their first championship, he used Mike on Stockton when they beat Utah twice, he used Mike on Payton in their finals over Seattle, and he used Kobe on Rondo in their 7 game loss to Boston. So I expect Phil to place more of a priority on getting a player that can slow down the opposing teams PG's.

If you want to beat a team with one of these offensively strong PG's there's no other way to stop them than with strong perimeter defense preferably given by a bigger stronger player. A shot blocker is rendered useless against a guy like Curry who is going to kill you from the outside.. Miami beat OKC by protecting the rim with strong perimeter defense (James, Wade, Chalmers) and guys that were good at taking charges. There are many different ways to build a strong team defense. Having a shot blocker isn't the only one.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#26 » by bigfnjoe96 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:49 am

Dude just got out rebounded by Russell Westbrook...

No Thanks

Sent from my G2 via Tapatalk
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Rondo, Westbrook, Paul

It's not specific to guards the concept is specific to the perimeter as a whole. The best way to defend the rim is from the perimeter. The most notable defensive "stoppers" were guys on the perimeter.. Allen, Bowen, Artest, Leonard (small sample size), Posey, Cooper, Pippen, D.Johnson. All the guys in this list were integral parts in several championships.

And further, specific to our situation.. Phil has had extreme amounts of success zeroing in on opposing PG's with a stronger, bigger perimeter defender... think Lebron on Parker the year Miami beat San Antonio. He used Pippen to pressure Magic a whole series in their first championship, he used Mike on Stockton when they beat Utah twice, he used Mike on Payton in their finals over Seattle, and he used Kobe on Rondo in their 7 game loss to Boston. So I expect Phil to place more of a priority on getting a player that can slow down the opposing teams PG's.

If you want to beat a team with one of these offensively strong PG's there's no other way to stop them than with strong perimeter defense preferably given by a bigger stronger player. A shot blocker is rendered useless against a guy like Curry who is going to kill you from the outside.. Miami beat OKC by protecting the rim with strong perimeter defense (James, Wade, Chalmers) and guys that were good at taking charges. There are many different ways to build a strong team defense. Having a shot blocker isn't the only one.

so, to be very clear, you are suggesting we draft Muiday then

because your point was we can only acquire this kind of guy with the draft

Russell isn't that guy
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#28 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:guards in this league are given an incredible amount of room to score and very little room to defend

Rondo, Westbrook, Paul

Russell isn't that guy

No not at all.. my point was that we can build a strong team defense without having a defensively stout player at the 5 by strengthening our perimeter defense.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

no love for Roy Hibbert ? 

Post#29 » by NOOB77 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:05 am

Hibbert for vet min? Sure

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#30 » by dakomish23 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 am

He would be a step backward
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
FerreroRocherrr
Pro Prospect
And1: 456

Post#31 » by FerreroRocherrr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 am

boomann21 wrote:Ever since they allowed him to play with his arms up that year claiming that fouls should not be called because he held his arms vertical. I think they were calling it verticality or something like that, I thought they were clearly fouls and it was just a excuse for them to hack Carmelo.

Absolutely yo, they wanted to Pacers to advance to create that BS "rivalry" with the Heat
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#32 » by CoolKids » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 am

Hibbert sucks
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#33 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:32 am

ibraheim718 wrote:No not at all.. my point was that we can build a strong team defense without having a defensively stout player at the 5 by strengthening our perimeter defense.

I see

I certainly agree

shot blocking is the last line of defense when everything else fails
Stoosh
Junior
And1: 190

Post#34 » by Stoosh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 am

Robin Lopez is as effective and cheaper
Myrage
Junior
And1: 7

Post#35 » by Myrage » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 am

Depends on who we draft and how much $$ he wants.

6M/ year or GTFO
alwaysaknick
Pro Prospect
And1: 423

Post#36 » by alwaysaknick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:23 am

I thought he hated us. And I don't like him either.

DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#37 » by DickGrayson » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:28 am

People are willing to over pay for Tobias Harris, but say no to Hibbert who will answer our main weakness ever since Ewng left the Knicks.

Interior defense.

Where, I wouldnt pay Hibbert 15 million, he's definitely worth the 10-12.

If we can't sign Gasol or Milsap, and can't land Towns...Hibbert would be a great signing for the NYK.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#38 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Man you guys are some grudge-holding M"fers haha. Hibbert is the best paint defender in the league period. He makes Tyson Chandler look like STAT to be honest. Is he raw and unpolished offensively? Yes but, we have Melo who made this group of scrubs a top 10 offense this year. Hibbert comes from Georgetown and is a good passer out of the post he could fit in well and also the reason why he doesn't get as many rebounds is because the Pacers gameplan on defense is to funnel everything on defense into him so he's constantly having to challenge shots and be out of position for the rebound. He's a game changer defensively and would be great for this team as a back up plan if Gasol stays in Memphis.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#39 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Russell isn't that guy

No not at all.. my point was that we can build a strong team defense without having a defensively stout player at the 5 by strengthening our perimeter defense.

Oh yeah? Tell that to Ian Shumpert. You cannot have a great defense without an interior defensive stallworth. Look at all the best defenses, they all have one. Plus what you aren't taking into account are that guards and wings are a dime a dozen. You pay premium for a big because bigs have probably the largest impact on a teams culture than any other position. You get that out of the way and you can find cheaper options at guard and be just fine.

For example Danny Green. I don't think this guy is gonna get a huge payday. He'll get a raise for sure but what is he making, 4 mil? Double that is 8mil and you still could draft Mudaiy who projects as a decent defender so that quick you could have a total change in defensive outlook by passing Hibbert
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#40 » by Meat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Why not RLopez for cheaper?

because one is a vastly superior defender

Return to New York Knicks