ImageImageImageImageImage

Should We Sign Sim Bhullar to 10 day?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Re: Should We Sign Sim Bhullar to 10 day? 

Post#21 » by Juggynaut » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:52 am

Better than Bargnani
Najeem27
General Manager
And1: 2,399

Post#22 » by Najeem27 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 am

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
Mike Breen wrote:Nothing we do for the rest of the season from a roster standpoint matters at all. So go ahead.

But you don't want to be a laughingstock either...oh, wait.

I think its too late for that :lol:
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#23 » by DickGrayson » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 am

Give him 2-4 years, he wants to be a good player, you can tell. He has underrated stamina, he played 43 minutes in that game, any guy that fat carries solid stamina for his size. At best, he'll be a 3rd string center, but worth an NBA spot in the future.

Just not now, it's unhealthy to be 350lbs when he should be at 320.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Should We Sign Sim Bhullar to 10 day? 

Post#24 » by Phish Tank » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 am

Yea he still has a ways to go to get back in nba shape... Not only does he need to lose weight but he needs to develop strength too... Looks like a big pillsbury doughboy out there.

The sad part is that he will basically not be able to eat almost any of his traditional Indian dishes either until he shows that he can keep off major weight gain

Sent from the mind of world peace
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,711

Post#25 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:55 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "pass"
Free Palestine
Najeem27
General Manager

Post#26 » by Najeem27 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:55 am

You cant teach 7'5" lol. We can develop his body, its not like where doing anything else.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#27 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:56 am

aliamri1017 wrote:You cant teach 7'5" lol. We can develop his body, its not like where doing anything else.

Stop

:lol:
Free Palestine
Najeem27
General Manager

Post#28 » by Najeem27 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:59 am

We should just hold a try out for crying out loud.........who cares lol
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#29 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:01 am

aliamri1017 wrote:We should just hold a try out for crying out loud.........who cares lol

People will talk. We're supposed to be trying to create "a culture" here not start a circus.
Free Palestine
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#30 » by Kenyon009 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:57 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:As far as Bhullar goes, he's a plodder that basically just stands near the basket and try to block shots. Against 6'8*-6'9" D-League centers with average athleticism and little skill, that's fine. Against NBA caliber centers? It'll be a race to see which one he tallies the fastest...fouls and 3 second violations.

I remember Lithuania was playing Canada in the U20 championships or stm crazy like that a few years ago. Sim actually put up a decent match against Valanciunas who's a multiple time MVP at that level and he put up a double double against Val.

I think there was a game once where Mike Sweetney outplayed Chris Bosh.
I might be making that up, but the point is Sweetney got fat and Bosh got better.

Val from what I have seen is not a great barometer for success because he is not really a weapon which means back then both guys were basically free safeties for their teams (as you said Val was an MVP, but I doubt it was by using the dream shake).

On the other hand though, it never hurts to have guys out there giving 110%. I do think though that Knicks coaching whats some sort of continuity so I doubt we will be doing a string of 10 day guys. Would be cool to have Curry though, he would be our Steve Kerr.

Valanciunas is a 3x MVP in the U18, U19, U20 competitions. He's one of the better centers in the league. I live in Canada and I catch quite a few of his games. If Bhullar can match up against a athletic, very mobile player like JV I would say it shouldn't be a huge deal for him at the next level (of course it's gonna take some work).
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,194

Post#31 » by Capn'O » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:23 pm

What about calling up Thanasis?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,975

Post#32 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:50 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:This is the man they should be looking to sign.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuIXEmv2ec[/youtube]

I'm really curios as of why no one has given him a look this year. Not just the knicks. He is shooting close to 50% from 3 the whole season. I know he is short 6'1. He doesn't have the handles like his brother but he still has the blood line.

I'm just confused why no one in the league has given him a look, for a 10 day at least.

I mean we do run a system that really doesn't require our lead guard to be a great distributor. I would give him a chance, he seems like he would have more upside than Larkin or Shved.

i asked the same thing. he must really be that bad a ballhandler and defender. and he's amazingly slow for his size.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,975

Post#33 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Capn'O wrote:What about calling up Thanasis?

he isn't getting the call-up for contractual reasons. we can start his rookie deal NEXT season. he seems to be on board with that plan. if he comes up now, we waste that first year bird eligibility.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#34 » by frogfood » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 pm

sure. make it a freak show. better than current product
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#35 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:I remember Lithuania was playing Canada in the U20 championships or stm crazy like that a few years ago. Sim actually put up a decent match against Valanciunas who's a multiple time MVP at that level and he put up a double double against Val.

I think there was a game once where Mike Sweetney outplayed Chris Bosh.
I might be making that up, but the point is Sweetney got fat and Bosh got better.

Val from what I have seen is not a great barometer for success because he is not really a weapon which means back then both guys were basically free safeties for their teams (as you said Val was an MVP, but I doubt it was by using the dream shake).

On the other hand though, it never hurts to have guys out there giving 110%. I do think though that Knicks coaching whats some sort of continuity so I doubt we will be doing a string of 10 day guys. Would be cool to have Curry though, he would be our Steve Kerr.

Valanciunas is a 3x MVP in the U18, U19, U20 competitions. He's one of the better centers in the league. I live in Canada and I catch quite a few of his games. If Bhullar can match up against a athletic, very mobile player like JV I would say it shouldn't be a huge deal for him at the next level (of course it's gonna take some work).

What did Bhullar look like at that age? Did Jonas have any post moves worth guarding or was he just an athletic body with a soft touch?

I am sure Eddy Curry has nice games vs Tyson Chandler in HS...
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Kenyon009
Banned User

Post#36 » by Kenyon009 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:What did Bhullar look like at that age? Did Jonas have any post moves worth guarding or was he just an athletic body with a soft touch?

That's true. Even at that age Jonas was a NBA caliber player and Sim played pretty well against him. The biggest knock against Sim was his lack of mobility and stamina. He played 43 minutes on a high pace team and did really well, or at least well enough to earn a ten day contract. That's why I wouldn't mind putting him on this team. We have a slow pace and he looks like he could contribute.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#37 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:31 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:What did Bhullar look like at that age? Did Jonas have any post moves worth guarding or was he just an athletic body with a soft touch?

That's true. Even at that age Jonas was a NBA caliber player and Sim played pretty well against him. The biggest knock against Sim was his lack of mobility and stamina. He played 43 minutes on a high pace team and did really well, or at least well enough to earn a ten day contract. That's why I wouldn't mind putting him on this team. We have a slow pace and he looks like he could contribute.

First and foremost: I appreciate your information. i don't have anywhere near as much background knowledge as you do regarding Jonas and Sim, so I appreciate you bringing me up to speed.

While nothing can hurt us (aside from a player being so good they bust our tank) I think there is not much to gain by bringing Sim up unless we think he will be our back up center or 3rd string center next year.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Kenyon009
Banned User

Post#38 » by Kenyon009 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:First and foremost: I appreciate your information. i don't have anywhere near as much background knowledge as you do regarding Jonas and Sim, so I appreciate you bringing me up to speed.

While nothing can hurt us (aside from a player being so good they bust our tank) I think there is not much to gain by bringing Sim up unless we think he will be our back up center or 3rd string center next year.

I just think he might be slipping through a hole similar to how Lin and Whiteside did. He, despite what people say, is a very skilled player with a soft touch. He can finish in the paint with his incredible standing reach and soft touch. It also helps that he is very coordinated unlike Thabeet. That's pretty rare for his size and most importantly he's improving. His FT% has gone up every year that might not sound like much but it shows that he's putting work in. He's shed a lot of weight and looks lighter on his feet since the Knicks are tanking anyway wouldn't it make sense to add him to the roster? He could end up being a cheap back up center for next year when we're ready to compete.

For jokes let's compare him to Thabeet a second overall pick and someone who's made a NBA roster. Thabeet hasn't improved at all since he's entered the league. Again I'm going by FT% since it's a direct indication of how much work a player is putting in. He improved at that so marginally and his PER has always stuck around the 11-12 range. Sim on the other hand is putting up better stats than him in the D-league and his FT% has gone up every year, he's shed weight every year, and his stamina/motor is finally NBA caliber. The problem with Sim when he was at New Mexico was that he could make 4 trips up and down the floor and look like a really solid player but he would end up being gassed. That's a non-issue now that he has the ability to almost play a full game.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,239

Post#39 » by The Lamma » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Bhullar?... Bhullar?......... Bhullar?

Return to New York Knicks