ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Rondo and Carlisle Have On Court Arguement. Possible Knick?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Damas
Starter
And1: 1,923

OT: Rondo and Carlisle Have On Court Arguement. Possible Knick? 

Post#1 » by Damas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:06 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mO48ds7q0U[/youtube]

DALLAS -- Point guard Rajon Rondo did not play the final 20-plus minutes of the Dallas Mavericks' 99-92 win over the Toronto Raptors on Tuesday night, after a profanity-laced shouting match with coach Rick Carlisle over play-calling responsibilities.

The incident occurred with 8:10 remaining in the third quarter, when Carlisle stormed out on the American Airlines Center court to call a timeout and shouted at Rondo, who appeared to be ignoring a play call from the bench as he brought the ball up the floor.

Mark Cuban didn't consider Rajon Rondo a rental player when the Mavs traded for him. He might want to check with his coach about that now, Tim MacMahon writes. Story

Rondo responded by shouting back at Carlisle. They exchanged heated words for much of the timeout, with assistant coach Jamahl Mosley at one point stepping in front of Rondo to prevent the point guard and coach from getting in each other's faces.

"Well, it's an emotional game, and we had a difference of opinion," Carlisle said. "There was an exchange, and then in my mind, it was over."

Rondo spoke with his former Kentucky coach, Tubby Smith, for several minutes in the Mavs' locker room after Tuesday's win but declined to take questions from reporters.

"Discuss with Rick," said Rondo, a four-time All-Star whom the Mavs acquired Dec. 18 in a blockbuster trade with the Boston Celtics.

Team sources told ESPNDallas.com friction had been building up between Carlisle and Rondo over play-calling responsibilities, the majority of which the coach has handled. Former Mavs point guard Jason Kidd had similar frustrations during his first season playing with Carlisle, though it never resulted in a public outburst.

Rondo, who has averaged 9.0 points, 6.2 assists and 2.9 turnovers in 25 games with the Mavs, brought the subject up when asked about his comfort level in the Mavs' offense after last week's loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"I'm able to adapt and adjust to anything," Rondo said then. "Coach does a lot of the play calling, and just go from there."

Rajon Rondo, second from left, spent the rest of Tuesday night's win on the bench after a profanity-laced shouting match with coach Rick Carlisle, right.
Carlisle replaced Rondo, who has a reputation of being difficult to coach, with backup point guard Devin Harris after the timeout. Rondo watched the rest of the game from the bench.

Harris (14 points, 5 assists) and reserve guard J.J. Barea (13 points, 5 assists) played key roles in the Mavs' comeback win over the Raptors. Dallas trailed by nine points when Rondo, who finished with four points and four assists, had the shouting match with Carlisle.

Asked whether Rondo would be the starting point guard for Wednesday night's game against the Atlanta Hawks, Carlisle said, "That's what we brought him here for."

Carlisle, who has occasionally been frustrated by Rondo's tendency to commit turnovers on unnecessarily complicated passes, declined to say whether Rondo's benching was due to basketball or disciplinary reasons.

"It was made because I'm the coach, and that was the decision that I made at the time," said Carlisle, who also declined to explain his logic for benching Rondo during crunch time of a Jan. 23 home loss to the Chicago Bulls, a decision Rondo downplayed at the time.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban attempted to downplay the latest incident between Carlisle and Rondo.

"S--- happens. Not the first time, not the last time," Cuban told ESPNDallas.com. "It'll happen again. It's not just Rajon. It's a long season. In my 15 years, I've seen it happen more times than I can count, and we survive every time."

Nevertheless, face of the franchise Dirk Nowitzki acknowledged some concern about the heated exchange between Rondo and Carlisle.

"We won the game, but stuff like that is never good," Nowitzki said. "It's unfortunate, but it does happen. It's how the team responds, it's how the team moves forward, how both sides move forward and make the best out of it."

Center Tyson Chandler, who joins Nowitzki among the most respected leaders in the Mavs' locker room, hoped Carlisle and Rondo would address the issue with each other.

"I think it will make them have a conversation and move on," Chandler said. "The main thing is we stay together in the locker room and understand we're all trying to win and we're all in this together, from every player and every coach and everything else.

"Those two, they're two grown men. They can handle their problems with each other. As far as this team goes, everybody in this locker room has to be willing to win and wanting to win. And I know everybody here does want to win."

Neither Nowitzki nor Chandler gave a firm opinion on whether Rondo should be given more freedom to call plays.

"I think Rajon has been in this league a long time," Nowitzki said. "He knows how to play, and I guess he feels that he needs a little bit more leverage out there, but this is not for me to decide. It was a tight ballgame, and I guess, ultimately, the coach has the last word."

His face at 1:30 :lol:
dpgcdr
Pro Prospect
And1: 298

Re: OT: Rondo and Carlisle Come To Blows. Possible Knick? 

Post#2 » by dpgcdr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Might work. Fisher doesn't have the fortitude to scream at Rondo.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,306

Post#3 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:12 pm

I'd take Rondo for cheap, but I think he is declining and generally overrated at this point.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
delvec19
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#4 » by delvec19 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:I'd take Rondo for cheap, but I think he is declining and generally overrated at this point.

While true...we may not have much of a choice after what happened at the deadline. There's barely going to be any PGs out there.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#5 » by Thorn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Damas wrote:OT: Rondo and Carlisle Come To Blows. Possible Knick?

Were punches actually thrown?
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#6 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Wouldn't be first time Rondo has run in with a coach or another player. Kind of par for the course with him. Also sometimes stuff like this actually brings people together more once it blows over. Let's see what happens...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#7 » by mpharris36 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 pm

delvec19 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I'd take Rondo for cheap, but I think he is declining and generally overrated at this point.

While true...we may not have much of a choice after what happened at the deadline. There's barely going to be any PGs out there.

I would rather have calderon at 7 million than Rondo at 15.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Damas
Starter
And1: 1,923

Post#8 » by Damas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Thorn wrote:
Damas wrote:OT: Rondo and Carlisle Come To Blows. Possible Knick?

Were punches actually thrown?

:lol:
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#9 » by BeagleBoss » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Misleading title dumbass!
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

OT: Rondo and Carlisle Come To Blows. Possible Knick? 

Post#10 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Rondo
Hardaway
Melo
Gasol
Oakafor

Bench
Calderon
Galloway
Vet mins

Phil comes down to coach. Puts fisher as assistant

Championship

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#11 » by Boarder Patrol » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Rondo hurts his teams offense and he only defends when motivated. Pass ten times out of ten.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Re: OT: Rondo and Carlisle Have On Court Arguement. Possible Knick? 

Post#12 » by Thorn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Changing the title to be less misleading there were no punches thrown unless I misread that exceedingly wordy article.
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,407

Post#13 » by ag3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:31 pm

I would definitely take Rondo but for nothing more then $8-$10 mil a season and only for 3 years.
If he wants anything more then that, then he can go **** himself.
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#14 » by Moose » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:32 pm

delvec19 wrote:

We might be better off with Calderon at 7.5 for 2 seasons than paying almost double that for some of these guys. Dragic is a game changer, but he is going to stay in Miami.

Beverley is a RFA and will cost at least 7 mill a year in my mind. Bradley got 32 mill over 4 years. Odds are, the Rockets match unless they are trying to load up again for the cap. Even then, you could see a team offering him a Bradley contract and even though Beverle is better bet than Calderon because of his defense and youth, there is no guarantee he comes here and we may have to overpay just to make sure he does.

Rondo isn't the same player right now, but he will want at least 12 per and he will probably get it from somebody. I personally wouldn't do it. Not with this team. Not with his decline. He will be 30 next February.

Then with all the RFA PGs out there, the chances of us signing a solid one is slim. They will cost too much for all the holes we still have as a team and I don't see too many of them being that special.

In the end, we may have been forced to keep Calderon because due to a lack of a trade partner, but when you look at the realistic options during the off-season, we may have had to keep him.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#15 » by Fat Kat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Big name hunting

Not only is he cancerous, he just isn't very good
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,306

Post#16 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm

delvec19 wrote:

We can always pass on him especially since we have a pg on the roster. If we go in with the mentality that we have no choice, we can get in trouble like it did with signing Amare.

Rondo's been a huge red flag player for me between his injuries, age and game.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#17 » by mpharris36 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Big name hunting

Not only is he cancerous, he just isn't very good

I gotta agree with Fat Kat here...also he is a terrible fit for our offensive system.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Knick Spaniard
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#18 » by Knick Spaniard » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 pm

He will go to Lakers.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#19 » by NYKAL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Haven't we suffered through enough point guards who can't shoot. When has it ever worked for the Knicks?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Wouldn't be first time Rondo has run in with a coach or another player. Kind of par for the course with him. Also sometimes stuff like this actually brings people together more once it blows over. Let's see what happens...

Yeah Iverson used to go at it constantly with the ultimate control freak Larry Brown and both spent long successful careers with each other.

Return to New York Knicks