ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Opinions on Bry's website please.

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

OT - Opinions on Bry's website please. 

Post#1 » by Ugalde » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Hey guys,
I've posted here a few times about my rap career. Most of you know I am just starting out and still learning a lot.
Last time I asked for advice from you guys I got some real useful tips for my show.

I'd really appreciate any more advice or opinions I can get from you guys.

Now,
On topic...
Can some of you guys take a look at my site and let me know what you think?
Any comments at all would be really helpful. Anything you think I should or shouldn't do.

Also, this is very important.
Can you please specify weather you are on the web version or mobile version of the site.
It makes a huge difference.

Thank you very much guys,
-Bry

http://www.BryEmpire.com

politics
to many 3s
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Re: OT - Opinions on Bry's website please. 

Post#2 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Clicked on the home page and I didn't go any farther.

Dry bland and creepy was the vibe. If you didn't tell me that you were into rap, I would have thought I was stumbling onto some Abercrombie page.

I get that if you have an image, like discontented, that you would go with that color scheme. However, include more about what you have done, what you are about what you are doing.

Something should draw the eye to recent shows, artists you have been alongside (so someone knows what to expect). If you rap, you better have lyrical inspiration. A "quote of the month" for regular fans can give them insight to what inspires you and can in turn create that connection.

Whatever you want your listeners to be feeling when they go to your show should be present on the home page.
Looking at your home page, I would expect a drake flow (slow delivery) with big - city references (dressed formal in both shots) and morbid topics such as struggles, injustice and emotional problems.

In summary:
Add in stage-type scenery, add in some personal poetic items, move things around the page so it doesn't look like you are selling clothing.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by Ugalde » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:59 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:Clicked on the home page and I didn't go any farther.

Dry bland and creepy was the vibe. If you didn't tell me that you were into rap, I would have thought I was stumbling onto some Abercrombie page.

I get that if you have an image, like discontented, that you would go with that color scheme. However, include more about what you have done, what you are about what you are doing.

Something should draw the eye to recent shows, artists you have been alongside (so someone knows what to expect). If you rap, you better have lyrical inspiration. A "quote of the month" for regular fans can give them insight to what inspires you and can in turn create that connection.

Whatever you want your listeners to be feeling when they go to your show should be present on the home page.
Looking at your home page, I would expect a drake flow (slow delivery) with big - city references (dressed formal in both shots) and morbid topics such as struggles, injustice and emotional problems.

In summary:
Add in stage-type scenery, add in some personal poetic items, move things around the page so it doesn't look like you are selling clothing.

Love the feedback man, thank you very much.

Everything you've said I can really use. Unfortunately I don't have enough content yet to really put up to make the necessary adjustments. I get the image thing totally. I feel like as I rapped through that project and through the new one I'm working on I started to really grasp who I am as a person and how I want to display that in my music.

I didn't really have that for the first project.

Also I like the Quote idea but as for moving things around the page to avoid looking like selling clothing. What would you suggest? Should I have one of the pictures taken down. My manager wanted that bad but I was against it, maybe I was wrong. If so which should I keep up?
politics
to many 3s
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#4 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Ugalde wrote:

In summary:

Everything you've said I can really use. Unfortunately I don't have enough content yet to really put up to make the necessary adjustments. I get the image thing totally. I feel like as I rapped through that project and through the new one I'm working on I started to really grasp who I am as a person and how I want to display that in my music.

Also I like the Quote idea but as for moving things around the page to avoid looking like selling clothing. What would you suggest? Should I have one of the pictures taken down. My manager wanted that bad but I was against it, maybe I was wrong. If so which should I keep up?

If you have more pictures of yourself, people you performed with, crowds, venues, areas you talk about (NYC?) either having them rotate(think yahoo sports home page) or a wall-paper with pics as tiles (water-marked though so it doesn't take away from page content).

Right now it looks like bookends. Moving one picture up and the other down at least provides some variety. Captions above/below would be good.

Slight tangent, but I meant to add this quote to my FB page:
from Will Smith "Lost and Found"
Lost is when you hide behind the freedom of speech
Well sure you're free to do it, but what it mean to do it
Did you mean to do it? Did you need to do it?
Did you take time to think about the seed you ruined?

It pertains to my question of WHY would people WANT to see those pictures? How do they help to market you and what you do?
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Ugalde » Sun Mar 1, 2015 12:08 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Ugalde wrote:

In summary:

If you have more pictures of yourself, people you performed with, crowds, venues, areas you talk about (NYC?) either having them rotate(think yahoo sports home page) or a wall-paper with pics as tiles (water-marked though so it doesn't take away from page content).

Right now it looks like bookends. Moving one picture up and the other down at least provides some variety. Captions above/below would be good.

It pertains to my question of WHY would people WANT to see those pictures? How do they help to market you and what you do?

My man. Another great post. I am going to update the site soon and I'll come back to you. Your feed back is great man. I really do appreciate it. Being a artist I know how hard it can be to get people to take time to listen or visit a site. I really appreciate the feedback.
politics
to many 3s
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#6 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 12:43 am

Ugalde wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Ugalde wrote:Love the feedback man, thank you very much.

My man. Another great post. I am going to update the site soon and I'll come back to you. Your feed back is great man. I really do appreciate it. Being a artist I know how hard it can be to get people to take time to listen or visit a site. I really appreciate the feedback.

np! hope it helps and the career takes off!
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man
And1: 665

Post#7 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 9:43 am

Don't quit your day job
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Ugalde » Tue Mar 3, 2015 6:06 pm

nyjetsknicks420 wrote:Don't quit your day job

Thanks for the input man.
politics
to many 3s
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#9 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Mar 3, 2015 6:24 pm

It took too long to navigate to your music. When you click on the "Music" tab, you then go to "Discography/Lyrics" but no songs/music. I shouldn't have to be searching to get to what is supposed be the very thing you're trying to advertise, your songs. Also, the Home page is very lackluster, baron and, to be honest, very amateur. nykballa2k4 already covered that.
Free Palestine
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:03 pm

Ugalde wrote:
nyjetsknicks420 wrote:Don't quit your day job

Thanks for the input man.

I'm here all day
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Ugalde » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:It took too long to navigate to your music. When you click on the "Music" tab, you then go to "Discography/Lyrics" but no songs/music. I shouldn't have to be searching to get to what is supposed be the very thing you're trying to advertise, your songs. Also, the Home page is very lackluster, baron and, to be honest, very amateur. nykballa2k4 already covered that.

Thank you very much for the input sir. May I ask you too look again. I changed a few things up. Tried adding what my man up top suggested. It's still trial and error though. If you could maybe just take a peek again and let me know.

I really appreciate you taking your time to look man.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the idea on having a hard time getting to the music. It is a problem that I am working on. It's hard to explain but its a bit of a weird situation. I will have it fixed real soon. Like now lol. Thanks again man.
politics
to many 3s
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Ugalde » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:02 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Ugalde wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

Hey man when you get another chance can you maybe take another look. Let me know if I improved at all? Tried taking all your advice in to account. I know I need more work but I just wanna see if I got the right idea.
politics
to many 3s
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#13 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:08 pm

Ugalde wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Ugalde wrote:

Hey man when you get another chance can you maybe take another look. Let me know if I improved at all? Tried taking all your advice in to account. I know I need more work but I just wanna see if I got the right idea.

It looks a lot better. I can tell you do music, worked with Joel Ortiz. Do you have to have written consent to include his name? I don't know anything about the legal aspect of marketing.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#14 » by SaveUsKP6 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:11 pm

Not a good website. Anything with Times New Roman as the font reminds me of being 12 and having an angelfire.com wrestling website.
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Ugalde » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:16 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Ugalde wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

It looks a lot better. I can tell you do music, worked with Joel Ortiz. Do you have to have written consent to include his name? I don't know anything about the legal aspect of marketing.

Wow I don't know. Never even thought of that. I don't think it's a big deal because I am opening for him so I think they expect me to be promoting him with myself. Thanks though man. Any other thoughts you have please, feel free to share. Your advice helped so much and I will keep taking it in to account.
politics
to many 3s
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Ugalde » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:16 pm

ShumpShump wrote:Not a good website. Anything with Times New Roman as the font reminds me of being 12 and having an angelfire.com wrestling website.

Good eye. Yea, I don't know if I like it.
politics
to many 3s
KnickswiththeKnack
Starter
And1: 348

Post#17 » by KnickswiththeKnack » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:46 pm

Ugalde wrote:Unfortunately I don't have enough content yet to really put up to make the necessary adjustments. I get the image thing totally. I feel like as I rapped through that project and through the new one I'm working on I started to really grasp who I am as a person and how I want to display that in my music.

If you don't have the content yet, maybe you're putting the cart before the horse a little bit? When I went to the site, I found it bland & a bit tough to navigate. It took one click to get to your music, which is one click too many... it should be right there on the front. And there seemed to be a huge amount of extraneous things on there.

As others have mentioned, the font needs an update. Any sans-serif font will be an improvement.

Overall tho I'd ask if maybe a simple holding page with a picture, a soundcloud widget, a video if you have one & links to your other social media wouldn't be a better shout for you at this point? Having your own website is important for sure, but it needs a lot of original content to be effective.

Worry a bit less about image & more on music and everything will fall into place.

Just my $.02
"...and now aaaaaaalll the Knicks with the knack" - Walt "Clyde" Frazier
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Ugalde » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:42 pm

KnickswiththeKnack wrote:
Ugalde wrote:Unfortunately I don't have enough content yet to really put up to make the necessary adjustments. I get the image thing totally. I feel like as I rapped through that project and through the new one I'm working on I started to really grasp who I am as a person and how I want to display that in my music.

If you don't have the content yet, maybe you're putting the cart before the horse a little bit? When I went to the site, I found it bland & a bit tough to navigate. It took one click to get to your music, which is one click too many... it should be right there on the front. And there seemed to be a huge amount of extraneous things on there.

As others have mentioned, the font needs an update. Any sans-serif font will be an improvement.

Overall tho I'd ask if maybe a simple holding page with a picture, a soundcloud widget, a video if you have one & links to your other social media wouldn't be a better shout for you at this point? Having your own website is important for sure, but it needs a lot of original content to be effective.

Worry a bit less about image & more on music and everything will fall into place.

Just my $.02

Love the feedback man. I am definitely going to get my music on the front page. Can't believe I needed you to point that out to me. I gotta get my ish together lol.
politics
to many 3s
Ugalde
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Ugalde » Sun Mar 8, 2015 7:53 pm

Hey guys if anyone can give it one last check and let me know what you think of it at the moment.

Also if anyone can watch the video at the bottom and give me feedback on my stage presence.
politics
to many 3s
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 8:53 pm

Ugalde wrote:Hey guys if anyone can give it one last check and let me know what you think of it at the moment.

Also if anyone can watch the video at the bottom and give me feedback on my stage presence.

You should have a video of you performing one of your own songs not some karaoke night bull

Return to New York Knicks