ImageImageImageImageImage

Prospect: Alexey Shved

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Re: Prospect: Alexey Shved 

Post#81 » by DickGrayson » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:54 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
None of those players in bold is a combo guard. Also, I am pretty sure that Sarunas Marciulionis lasted just fine in the NBA. And that is just the first one that comes to mind, and I am sure there are many others if one would actually think about that.

They were small SGs or not strong SGs. Either way, the fact remains they had short NBA careers and moved onto different leagues. Those players don't last.

Guys like Marciulionis and Petrovic are once in a generation type talents. Not in worth bringing them into discussion when we're talking about Alexey Shved.

For me Petrovic is super overrated. He was definitely a great player, but people go incredibly overboard about how good he was. He was not as good as people say then, and also, people claim he was better than any European player now, which is simply untrue. So I do not agree with your sentiments.

I don't like Shved as a player, and I never did. He has a horribly low basketball IQ. He is as dumb as a rock. But that does not mean that no European guard can play in the NBA, and you don't have to claim such things, just to drive the point home that you don't like Shved. All you have to do is say what is true about him.

That he has terrible decision making and that his basketball IQ is extremely low. That's all. Because that's true. You don't have to add in hyperbole that is not actually true, like European combo guards, or smallish, how you define it, two guards, are incapable of playing in the NBA.

I thought when Petro got off the bench, he was a lights out shooter even though he didn't take a lot of 3s, with the way how the NBA was transitioning into the 90s, if he stayed alive, he could of been up there with Reggie Miller in terms of top shooters in the league. I did not say Petro was better than any European, because we have Dirk(germany) and Gasol(spain)...even Manu Ginobili (italy) and Parker (france) gives Petro a run for his money.

I actually like Schved, I wanted to see him get more minutes at CSKA Moscow because I thought he was a perfect fit in that system. I was just pointing out most European SGs and PGs have had short stints in the NBA. It's not because they're bad players. You're being way too sensitive right now. I never said these guys weren't good enough or can't play in the NBA. I said their type of play doesn't last long in the NBA. They have career spans of 2-5 years and head back home where their style is more productive and the quality of life is way better because they play less games and get paid well, and the fanbases are better in Western and Eastern Europe. Does that close the book on European guards? Hell no. They are prospects out there that have crazy potential. The future will always be bright because of the skill level, talent and culture. You totally misunderstood the statement and though the recent influx of European back court players represented the entire past, present and future of Euros in the NBA. It doesn't. It's just a fact, it's easy to accept. The guys I listed didn't last long in the NBA. It happen and it's acceptable. The future is untold. I expect Euro guards to adjust their style to fit in the NBA, full court press style of basketball where they can compete with guys like John Wall, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Chris Paul, Jeff Teague and Stephon Curry.

It doesn't have to be just Euro players, my favorite ball player of all time is Carlos Arroyo and he's enjoying a lot of success in Turkey as the featured PG. Could he play in the NBA right now? Probably. Would he be as productive? No. His knees are pretty much done in terms of health and he plays more of a half court pick and roll game.

Some professionals fit better in other leagues. The NBA isn't for everybody. Doesn't make them a bad player and I am the last guy to believe in any nonsense that notions "If you're not in the NBA, you're not good enough". That's nonsense. Professional basketball is a respectable and difficult sport to compete. You have to admire any pro who holds a rotational spot in any pro league.
nytonm
Pro Prospect
And1: 304

Post#82 » by nytonm » Mon Mar 2, 2015 8:31 am

Dude needs to hit the gym. He'd be much better overall if he was stronger.
stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#83 » by stopstandthere » Mon Mar 2, 2015 10:01 am

I thought Toni Kukoc is playing for Knicks.

As long as he does not shoot a lot, I am fine with him as a Knicks thus far.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#84 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Mar 2, 2015 11:08 am

DickGrayson wrote:He's a finished product. He'll be playing for CSKA Moscow in two years. His type don't last long in the NBA. only successful combo guard that's European in the NBA is Dragic and that's because physically he's very strong and quick.

Fernandez, Rodriguez, Shved, Zoran Planinić, Roko Ukić, Gordan Giriček, Jiří Welsch, Gal Mekel, Šarūnas Jasikevičius, Sasha Vujacic, Marko Jarîc, Juan Carlos Navarro

all of these guys had short NBA careers and moved onto Euroleague where they were able to be more productive.

Your opinion/argument is basically that a 26 year old professional basketball player, who has not received much playing time the last two years, is a finished product? After seeing the last 3 games, you can already see he has played quite a bit better than the last couple of years, perhaps minus his first stint with the Wolves. Well, since he already seems to be playing better in this system, don't you find it a bit premature to make absolute statements like that?

I'm not sure any of us can really say where his talent level goes to, but at this point in time, we should watch how he plays and not say anything extreme, especially with no real current data before us (just our eyes and he passes that test for the most part). Remember he is 26, not 32 ish. He can probably get quite a bit better the next two years before reaching his physical peak. Especially if he gets the mental part down as he showed in Moscow he can play.
Jheri Curl
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#85 » by Jheri Curl » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:50 pm

Shved has talent but has no idea how to apply it. The biggest problem he has is consistency. And age does have a lot to do with development. That's not something that can be ignored.Now does Shved have a chance? Sure. It doesn't hurt to take a flier on him in a down season. But don't expect much.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#86 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:55 pm

at 26 yrs old can you be considered a prospect?
DickGrayson
Veteran

Post#87 » by DickGrayson » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:57 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:He's a finished product. He'll be playing for CSKA Moscow in two years. His type don't last long in the NBA. only successful combo guard that's European in the NBA is Dragic and that's because physically he's very strong and quick.

Fernandez, Rodriguez, Shved, Zoran Planinić, Roko Ukić, Gordan Giriček, Jiří Welsch, Gal Mekel, Šarūnas Jasikevičius, Sasha Vujacic, Marko Jarîc, Juan Carlos Navarro

all of these guys had short NBA careers and moved onto Euroleague where they were able to be more productive.

Your opinion/argument is basically that a 26 year old professional basketball player, who has not received much playing time the last two years, is a finished product? After seeing the last 3 games, you can already see he has played quite a bit better than the last couple of years, perhaps minus his first stint with the Wolves. Well, since he already seems to be playing better in this system, don't you find it a bit premature to make absolute statements like that?

I'm not sure any of us can really say where his talent level goes to, but at this point in time, we should watch how he plays and not say anything extreme, especially with no real current data before us (just our eyes and he passes that test for the most part). Remember he is 26, not 32 ish. He can probably get quite a bit better the next two years before reaching his physical peak. Especially if he gets the mental part down as he showed in Moscow he can play.

1. Shved is a career 29% 3pt shooter

2. Shved is a notoriously bad chucker, takes 6 3PT Shots per 36 minute. For a 6"5 guy who shoots 29% from that range, that's dreadful.

3. as a 6"6 190 PG, he must improve his shooting percentage, both from three and the field, however, and add weight to his 6’6”, 190 lbs. frame to help him on defense if he wants to be an impact player in the future...but the future is now. 26-32 will be his prime years figuratively speaking. He's a 6"6 guard who can't shoot, but chucks a lot of shot, with very little awareness on both ends of the NBA court.

4. Shved not receiving playing time is due to his inability to shoot and defend.
He got 23.9 minutes in his rookie season.
That went down to 10 minutes a game. His stats got worse too.

FG % went from 37% to 32%
3PT% decreased.
Assist to turnover ratio got worse.
In terms of shooting accuracy, Shved is probably the worst in the NBA.

5. Assessing 3 games of Shved as a Knick over assessing what he's done in the other 167 NBA games he played is pretty much a failed assessment.

6. Shved has only looked promising in Philadelphia, but thats not saying much either. His defense still weak and 3PT shooting still the worst in the league for someone who chucks at such a high volume.

You're not sure on how to assess Shved, may you not invite people to assure that they're not sure themselves because you aren't. The projection isn't fair. I've watched a lot of Minnesota Timberwolve basketball because I'm an avid follower of Jose Juan Barea, the guy who took Shved's minutes away from him. I also known about Shved back in 2010 when he was with CSKA. He hasn't made any improvements as a pro since 2011, actually declined since his rookie season.

What we have here is a 6"6 PG who's too weak to guard SGs and too slow to guard PGs. A good passer, terrible shooter; zero awareness or intangibles as a player. How far can he improve from that? We don't know, but it's certain he's a terrible all around player. Theres not that much improvement you can do from 26 into 30 as a pro. He doesn't possess Gerald Greens or Hassan Whitesides athletic gifts, so he has to get by on pure skill, which he struggles enough with in the NBA level of competition.

Basically an EBT card version of Sasha Vujacic.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#88 » by Workforce250 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:03 pm

How the hell do some of you supposedly Knicks fans hate developing talent here. I read: he's dumb as a rock, he's inconsistent, he doesn't have a clue, he's can't shoot, zero intangibles, bad shooter ladaladalada.

From EVERYTHING I have personally seen, the kid is perfect for the Triangle and has good skills. What is left for the coaching staff and to develop and bring it out in him. If he does, it's a bonus for us going into the off season and we should collectively hope it happens.
I like this player alot.
Some of you guys are ridiculous.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#89 » by tjumper78 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:26 pm

if some people here saw how shved played in the first half of his rookie year, they'd be saying we should def keep him and develop.
DickGrayson
Veteran

Post#90 » by DickGrayson » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:37 pm

Workforce250 wrote:How the hell do some of you supposedly Knicks fans hate developing talent here. I read: he's dumb as a rock, he's inconsistent, he doesn't have a clue, he's can't shoot, zero intangibles, bad shooter ladaladalada.

From EVERYTHING I have personally seen, the kid is perfect for the Triangle and has good skills. What is left for the coaching staff and to develop and bring it out in him. If he does, it's a bonus for us going into the off season and we should collectively hope it happens.
I like this player alot.
Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Knick fans are all for developing talent.

But that's the key word: Talent.

Shved doesn't possess enough to be a 28-32 minute player in the NBA. He's a 10 minute player on a bad team. Everything else is false hype. This thread is false by calling Shved a prospect when he's been playing pro ball for 7 years already, and is in his 3rd season in the NBA with his 4th team.

He's a journeyman, but this isn't a case of Gerald Green or Hassan Whiteside.

If the triangle is about shooting poorly from 3pt and being unable to guard PGs and SGs, then we will lose a lot of games with Shved-lead-triangle.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#91 » by Fat Kat » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:40 pm

tjumper78 wrote:if some people here saw how shved played in the first half of his rookie year, they'd be saying we should def keep him and develop.

What would those same folks say if they had also watched the rest of his NBA career?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#92 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:41 pm

I like that he's a big guard and has versatility. That makes him a potential good fit but I've seen this movie before. People here get too high or too low on players. It's very realistic he might head back to Europe next season so I don't think people should get too attached.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
DickGrayson
Veteran

Post#93 » by DickGrayson » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:47 pm

tjumper78 wrote:if some people here saw how shved played in the first half of his rookie year, they'd be saying we should def keep him and develop.

Solid debut in November.
Good December.

Everything went downhill from there.

His best month was

12 ppg
6 apg
42% FG
35% 3pt

Strong.
He just seems to hit the rookie wall fast and can't be that consistent.

Which gives me more reason to firmly believe Shved is perfect for Euroleague basketball. Not 82 games in a season + playoffs, less running and rules that Shved is use to.
Jheri Curl
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#94 » by Jheri Curl » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:02 pm

I was a fan of Alexey's during his first season, he showed promise. Hasn't developed since then. After a while you have to know when to realize when a player isn't going to reach projections. This is the same issue we had with Shumpert and everybody was singing his good graces when it was obvious he hadn't developed AT ALL.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#95 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:15 pm

He is an interesting player. He is currently putting up solid numbers. He doesn't look comfortable in interviews so he may miss home. He has a 4 mil QO that I doubt anyone will pay. So unless he takes a pay cut or plays into that QO...he will probably go overseas. Enjoy the show. If you get good enough seats he may this you a ball.
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,708

Post#96 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:08 pm

If Shved is shvmart he'll take what Phil offers him for next year and stay put. This is a good system for him.
Free Palestine
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#97 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:40 pm

DickGrayson wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

1. Shved is a career 29% 3pt shooter

2. Shved is a notoriously bad chucker, takes 6 3PT Shots per 36 minute. For a 6"5 guy who shoots 29% from that range, that's dreadful.

3. as a 6"6 190 PG, he must improve his shooting percentage, both from three and the field, however, and add weight to his 6’6”, 190 lbs. frame to help him on defense if he wants to be an impact player in the future...but the future is now. 26-32 will be his prime years figuratively speaking. He's a 6"6 guard who can't shoot, but chucks a lot of shot, with very little awareness on both ends of the NBA court.

4. Shved not receiving playing time is due to his inability to shoot and defend.
He got 23.9 minutes in his rookie season.
That went down to 10 minutes a game. His stats got worse too.

FG % went from 37% to 32%
3PT% decreased.
Assist to turnover ratio got worse.
In terms of shooting accuracy, Shved is probably the worst in the NBA.

5. Assessing 3 games of Shved as a Knick over assessing what he's done in the other 167 NBA games he played is pretty much a failed assessment.

6. Shved has only looked promising in Philadelphia, but thats not saying much either. His defense still weak and 3PT shooting still the worst in the league for someone who chucks at such a high volume.

You're not sure on how to assess Shved, may you not invite people to assure that they're not sure themselves because you aren't. The projection isn't fair. I've watched a lot of Minnesota Timberwolve basketball because I'm an avid follower of Jose Juan Barea, the guy who took Shved's minutes away from him. I also known about Shved back in 2010 when he was with CSKA. He hasn't made any improvements as a pro since 2011, actually declined since his rookie season.

What we have here is a 6"6 PG who's too weak to guard SGs and too slow to guard PGs. A good passer, terrible shooter; zero awareness or intangibles as a player. How far can he improve from that? We don't know, but it's certain he's a terrible all around player. Theres not that much improvement you can do from 26 into 30 as a pro. He doesn't possess Gerald Greens or Hassan Whitesides athletic gifts, so he has to get by on pure skill, which he struggles enough with in the NBA level of competition.

Basically an EBT card version of Sasha Vujacic.

Well, now you have given me some information to work with. But I'll stay with what I stated. I don't think we can write him off yet, he is just showing too much right now and with little to no minutes the last two years I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope his Rudy comes through. I'm not holding my breath but I am looking forward to him showing what he can do in this system. Pretty good trade for Pablo though. And tbh he is the most exciting thing happening on the team now as we all got to see the other "rookies" play some.

Regarding your projection statement and fairness, well, to be fair, everything is a projection to an extent, subjective (hard to be objective unless you just give stats and even then, we pick and choose) and when you made your statement it didn't contain a lot of facts and when I disagreed, then you gave some facts.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to assess Shved, because none of us have seen him play anything substantial the last two years so I don't think it is fair to treat Shved as just a statistic ("objecive") when it comes down to not having been able to see him play much. I'll trust Zen man here and hope he saw something.

And I'm just saying something real general that has held true in the past, relatively young players who have shown something in the past, often do better with a change of scenery, or even with a change in the system - but not always. The Triangle can bring out the best (or worst) in a player, as we have recently seen with a lot of our roster, current and past. I'm not sure if you are making this emotional, personal, etc. but that was not my intention. It is hard to communicate much in a short paragraph when one considers there is no voice, body language, eye contact, little feel, etc.
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 409

Post#98 » by Houston99 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:52 pm

if we sign him wouldnt he be worth 3 mill? if its for that price i say goodbye but if is willing to sign for the minimum ill take him all day.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#99 » by method » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:11 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
For me Petrovic is super overrated. He was definitely a great player, but people go incredibly overboard about how good he was. He was not as good as people say then, and also, people claim he was better than any European player now, which is simply untrue. So I do not agree with your sentiments.

I don't like Shved as a player, and I never did. He has a horribly low basketball IQ. He is as dumb as a rock. But that does not mean that no European guard can play in the NBA, and you don't have to claim such things, just to drive the point home that you don't like Shved. All you have to do is say what is true about him.

That he has terrible decision making and that his basketball IQ is extremely low. That's all. Because that's true. You don't have to add in hyperbole that is not actually true, like European combo guards, or smallish, how you define it, two guards, are incapable of playing in the NBA.
How is Shved a dumb player??It says he todays Post he picked up 80% of the offense already.
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 409

Post#100 » by Houston99 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:23 pm

shved is a solid player he just needs to be controlled.

Return to New York Knicks