ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Could you beat ronda roussey in a fight?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: OT: Could you beat ronda roussey in a fight? 

Post#21 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Mar 1, 2015 5:46 pm

j4remi wrote:She'd have 99% of humanity in an armbar faster than they could think. Cat Zingano was a overrated hype opponent though. She needed a massive comeback to beat Tate and flashy slams make for great highlight reels but that's about it. Holly Holm would be an interesting opponent for Ronda in that she's a smarter fighter who would try to keep the fight at a safe distance but she's gotta be at least one fight away. I hope Cyborg gets down to 135 in Invicta, Holm continues to grow as a fighter and hopefully a couple of new faces pop up (I think Jessica Eye has potential to jump in the conversation as well).

P.S. Yall should see how she handled Uriah Hall when they rolled. Dude fights at 185 which means he probably walks around over 200 lbs. He's a pro and a nice prospect. She was putting dude in armbars with absolute ease. Ground grappling is funny, strength loses to good technique damn near every time.

Cat Zingano's mistake was going with a damn flying knee to start the fight and i think if she gets another chance and doesn't try anything stupid like that again that she could actually make it a decent fight. She'd still lose but i think she could at least make it to the 2nd round. H.Holm would get beaten pretty bad by Rousey because she doesn't have close to enough training on the ground that she would need to fight Rousey and there's no way Rousey would try to stand with Holm because she would probably lose if she did because Holm is a beast standing up because she was a champion boxer. The only girl that has a chance is Cyborg and nobody knows or thinks she could get to 135 to make weight.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#22 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Mar 1, 2015 5:51 pm

New Jersey Knick wrote:Hmmm...could kimbo slice beat her?...Im curious to know how the room feels on that

Yes Kimbo could be her because he is trained to take punches and he could just go at her and absorb a punch or two but he would only need to connect with one punch and she'd be out cold. I do think there's guys that are in the UFC that she could beat though. Smaller guys.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#23 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 1, 2015 5:54 pm

Ahhhhh. You guys have seen the light I see.

Remember an older thread on this?

"Any man will beat any woman if he ain't a punk"

Mad dudes went on my ignore list after that stupidity.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#24 » by DickGrayson » Sun Mar 1, 2015 5:59 pm

6-1 in amateur boxing and I did wrestling for 6 years before boxing. I will fight her out of the challenge. Will I win? Not guaranteed, she's a pro and I respect what she's done as a professional. I think guys really underrate females. Strength isn't everything, its all about technique. I've trained in MMA and boxing gyms and see some top females give good fights to the guys.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#25 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:00 pm

An elite high school level wrestler, judoka or jiu jitsu fighter would beat Rousey. This is true for most sports. Look at the track times. Elite high school boys would smoke Olympic medalists women. An elite high school basketball player would be the best WNBA player by far.

So the question isnt can you beat Rousey, it's can you beat an elite 135lb high school aged fighter whose main strength is grappling.

As for Rousey, she probably would have a hard time beating any experienced male fighter (doesnt have to be pro). With her standup, she'd have trouble getting past the strength and speed of incoming punches to get a takedown.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
DickGrayson
Veteran

Post#26 » by DickGrayson » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:05 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:An elite high school level wrestler, judoka or jiu jitsu fighter would beat Rousey. This is true for most sports. Look at the track times. Elite high school boys would smoke Olympic medalists women. An elite high school basketball player would be the best WNBA player by far.

So the question isnt can you beat Rousey, it's can you beat an elite 135lb high school aged fighter whose main strength is grappling.

As for Rousey, she probably would have a hard time beating any experienced male fighter (doesnt have to be pro). With her standup, she'd have trouble getting past the strength and speed of incoming punches to get a takedown.

as a former high school wrestler at Mount St Michael Academy in the Bronx, where we won a 3 championship and I made the All City team at 145lbs, I have to disagree with you.

I've seen top HS and College-level wrestlers get handled in MMA gyms by two females. Anything is possible in a bout. Guys have the physical advantage, but figting isn't purely physical. Its a technically challenging sport.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#27 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:08 pm

Cat Zingano rushed in, missed with the knee, and played right into Rousey's hands.Game over. I don't think Cat is overrated. I just think, she had a bad game plan. There's a reason why no other fighter rushed Rousey. She's too quick and will use any rush to get you on the ground where height and reach means nothing.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#28 » by Fat » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:26 pm

with this bare stomach of mines i can defeat all whom cross my path
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#29 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:28 pm

DickGrayson wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:An elite high school level wrestler, judoka or jiu jitsu fighter would beat Rousey. This is true for most sports. Look at the track times. Elite high school boys would smoke Olympic medalists women. An elite high school basketball player would be the best WNBA player by far.

as a former high school wrestler at Mount St Michael Academy in the Bronx, where we won a 3 championship and I made the All City team at 145lbs, I have to disagree with you.

I've seen top HS and College-level wrestlers get handled in MMA gyms by two females. Anything is possible in a bout. Guys have the physical advantage, but figting isn't purely physical. Its a technically challenging sport.

In any combat sports, there are weight classes for a reason. Any jump up in weight would create big gaps in size and strength that would imbalance the match.

That strength difference is naturally present between men and women even at the same weight. There are understood (sometimes explicit) rules when women train/compete against men for that reason. You cant go full speed.

In regards to the technical aspect of fighting. You see it all the time in the amateur circuit. A technically trained fighter with years of gym training would get overwhelmed in a sea of violence from some guy off the street with a couple weeks of training. Sometimes it is simply about that physical dominance. And strength can absolutely neutralize some techniques.

If an elite high school judoka or jiu jitsu fighter is comparable in grappling than Rousey and they have the strength advantage, how would Rousey win the fight.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#30 » by alphad0gz » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:43 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:

In any combat sports, there are weight classes for a reason. Any jump up in weight would create big gaps in size and strength that would imbalance the match.

That strength difference is naturally present between men and women even at the same weight. There are understood (sometimes explicit) rules when women train/compete against men for that reason. You cant go full speed.

In regards to the technical aspect of fighting. You see it all the time in the amateur circuit. A technically trained fighter with years of gym training would get overwhelmed in a sea of violence from some guy off the street with a couple weeks of training. Sometimes it is simply about that physical dominance. And strength can absolutely neutralize some techniques.

If an elite high school judoka or jiu jitsu fighter is comparable in grappling than Rousey and they have the strength advantage, how would Rousey win the fight.

Any of you guys that say yes are delusional. Size is not the cure all. Pacman is tiny and he would destroy anyone without a weapon on this board in seconds. Same with Rousey. Scofield goes down in ten seconds or less. And it'll be down from her, not down on her.
Kn1cksNation
Senior
And1: 214

Post#31 » by Kn1cksNation » Sun Mar 1, 2015 7:06 pm

she would destroy me and you know what? id enjoy it ;)
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#32 » by el13adnino » Sun Mar 1, 2015 7:40 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
el13adnino wrote:i'd knock her out

No weapons we're talking about a fist fight.

oh! nvm then
i got her by 100 pounds tho
:crazy:
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#33 » by kingquan316 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 7:48 pm

Unless u actually train in some kind of fighting, anyone that answer yea are **** idiots.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#34 » by DowNY » Sun Mar 1, 2015 7:59 pm

only in the bedroom
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#35 » by DowNY » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:06 pm

Paige VanZant is still next up.

DickGrayson
Veteran

Post#36 » by DickGrayson » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:09 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:

Where?

I've been in the NY amateur boxing scene since 2011. I've traveled to Puerto Rico and seen fights out there also. Amateur MMA is circuit is very small, so it's not a good comparison.

Roy Jones went up to Heavyweight and won a championship. Skill will always overcome size. Size will always be a factor and attribute, but it can be beaten. It's been shown countless of times before.

Jack Dempsey said it best: "It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog." He was right. There have been MANY smaller fighters who have absolutely thrashed their much bigger opponents, Dempsey himself is an example.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvCHk_kKpVI[/youtube]

But if it's against someone with size and skill, then you have a strong point. The Klitschko brothers would be a nightmare for guys like Pacquiao, Floyd etc.

I'm not sure what level Ronda is but in respect to her being a professional, Id like to see her fight against some low ranked men before we assess her level as a pro.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#37 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:11 pm

No way man. She's dangerous.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
New Jersey Knick
Veteran
And1: 28

Post#38 » by New Jersey Knick » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:13 pm

Ok...the fact some of you think she beats kimbo slice puts it all in perspective.. :crazy:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#39 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:21 pm

j4remi wrote:She'd have 99% of humanity in an armbar faster than they could think. Cat Zingano was a overrated hype opponent though. She needed a massive comeback to beat Tate and flashy slams make for great highlight reels but that's about it. Holly Holm would be an interesting opponent for Ronda in that she's a smarter fighter who would try to keep the fight at a safe distance but she's gotta be at least one fight away. I hope Cyborg gets down to 135 in Invicta, Holm continues to grow as a fighter and hopefully a couple of new faces pop up (I think Jessica Eye has potential to jump in the conversation as well).

P.S. Yall should see how she handled Uriah Hall when they rolled. Dude fights at 185 which means he probably walks around over 200 lbs. He's a pro and a nice prospect. She was putting dude in armbars with absolute ease. Ground grappling is funny, strength loses to good technique damn near every time.

Did you see the Holm v Pennington fight? I did not, but I read that Holm had a harder time with Pennington than a lot of thought going into the fight and that she's not as ready as most thought in terms of a fight with Rousey.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#40 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:48 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Did you see the Holm v Pennington fight? I did not, but I read that Holm had a harder time with Pennington than a lot of thought going into the fight and that she's not as ready as most thought in terms of a fight with Rousey.

She's absolutely not ready for Rousey. She needs at least 3 more fights and much more training on her ground game before she's ready to take on Rousey.

Return to New York Knicks