ImageImageImageImageImage

Isola:Rift with LeBron James could drive Kevin Love to join Knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Lrod391
Sophomore
And1: 51

Isola:Rift with LeBron James could drive Kevin Love to join Knicks 

Post#1 » by Lrod391 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:32 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/isola-rift-lebron-drive-love-join-knicks-article-1.2162496

Kevin Love's future in Cleveland is more uncertain not only by the day but by the latest social media postings from LeBron James.

Love may very well be back on the open market as a free agent this July, which is good news for Phil Jackson, who has available cap space and just about 12 available roster spots to fill. In theory, a high draft pick, a healthy Carmelo Anthony and the addition of Love is a huge upgrade over what the Knicks are throwing out on the court these days.

The Knicks are the type of big-market team that appeals to Love. The Lakers and Celtics would also be in the mix if Love decides not to return to the Cavaliers after just one season as the third wheel in Cleveland.

There are several hurdles, of course. Love and Knicks assistant coach Kurt Rambis didn’t exactly hit it off when Rambis was Love’s coach in Minnesota. Love was also not a huge fan of the triangle offense.

Similarly, Jackson has to be confident that making a huge investment in Love is the right call since Love seems unhappy in Cleveland despite finally playing for a winning team.

Love is viewed by some as an aloof player who alienated teammates in Minnesota and is now doing the same in Cleveland.

More troubling is that Love has struggled in his reduced role even while the Cavs will likely finish with the second-best record in the Eastern Conference and are the odds-on favorites to reach the NBA Finals.

Being a third option never seemed to be an issue with the great Lakers, Celtics and Bulls championship teams. James Worthy was a perennial All-Star playing alongside Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili never obsess over being the second or third guy behind Tim Duncan.

And most recently, Chris Bosh willingly accepted his new role in Miami with James and Dwyane Wade and was rewarded with four straight trips to the NBA Finals and two championships.

But in Cleveland, where LeBron is still LeBron and Kyrie Irving has blossomed into one of the league’s top point guards, Love is the outsider.

Love’s next move may depend on how the Cavs fare in May and June. But if you read the tea leaves, or in this case James’ tweets, Love may be leaving as fast as you can say “Andrew Wiggins.”

In February, James seemed to be addressing Love’s attitude and role when he tweeted: “Stop trying to find a way to FIT-OUT and just FIT-IN. Be apart of something special! Just my thoughts.”

Recently, James posted a photo on Instagram that he referred to as “Clique Up!!” The picture included James, Irving, Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith, Tristan Thompson and Timofey Mozgov. Conspicuously absent from the picture? Love.

“We’re not best friends,” Love told ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” a few days ago. “We’re not hanging out every day.”

LeBron and Love don’t have to be best pals off the court to be successful teammates. But it was somewhat telling that Love told the Dan Patrick radio program that Russell Westbrook, Love’s one-time teammate at UCLA, is the more deserving MVP candidate because “you know, Bron took those few games off and those couple of weeks off.”

When it comes to taking subtle digs, Love really outdid himself here. James didn’t like losing the MVP award to Kevin Durant last season and he’s not thrilled that Stephen Curry and James Harden are considered the clear favorites for the award. That a high-profile teammate has another player ahead of James in the race can’t sit well with the self-proclaimed King.

Of all the problems the Knicks have, at least they don’t have two stars bickering. (Of course, Jackson doesn’t have two stars on his roster, which is one of the Knicks’ biggest problems.) Could James be doing more to ease Love’s transition into a new team and city? Perhaps. Once upon a time, Derek Jeter had the clout in the Yankees locker room and the status among the New York fans to embrace Alex Rodriguez but chose not to.

But several sources close to the situation in Cleveland claim that James has tried to make it work but that he’s frustrated by Love’s inability, and in some ways unwillingness, to get with the program. Remember, James pushed the Cavs to trade Wiggins to the Timberwolves to acquire Love, who could be one-and-done in Cleveland.

That could be a positive development for the Knicks. Or just a warning sign.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Re: Isola:Rift with LeBron James could drive Kevin Love to join Knicks 

Post#2 » by omerome » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:40 pm

If he's having a rift with LeBron, then I'm curious to know why and also why we should sign him here.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:44 pm

The thought of Kevin love and melo playing together is terrifying and I don't mean it in the good way.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#4 » by Jay10 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Stay away from the guy that can't produce while playing alongside the best player in the league.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,991

Post#5 » by god shammgod » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:45 pm

omerome wrote:If he's having a rift with LeBron, then I'm curious to know why and also why we should sign him here.

sometimes guys just don't get along. supposedly love is just a quiet person and doesn't want to pose with lebron in loafers and culottes.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#6 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:46 pm

I think Love ends up on the Lakers barring a Cleveland championship compelling him to stay.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,668

Post#7 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

god shammgod wrote:
omerome wrote:If he's having a rift with LeBron, then I'm curious to know why and also why we should sign him here.

sometimes guys just don't get along. supposedly love is just a quiet person and doesn't want to pose with lebron in loafers and culottes.

either way him leaving is a good thing for us because it weakens the cavs (they won't have space to sign another player to replace him). And even if we don't want him he could take away cap space of a team like LA who will be competing for similar FA than us.

its a good thing if he leaves, even if he doesn't come here.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach
And1: 798

Post#8 » by Blue Ninja » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Gallo-Russell-Melo-Love-Lopez

Next offseason trade Lopez for a guard and sign one of the many good big defensive big men and we are set.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#9 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

I think this season has shown his weaknesses much more than his strengths.

Yes, he's a great shooting and passing big who rebounds as well as anyone. But his d is crap and apparently so too is his attitude.

I'd rather throw cash at Jordan, LMA and Gasol
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach
And1: 798

Post#10 » by Blue Ninja » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:50 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I think this season has shown his weaknesses much more than his strengths.

Yes, he's a great shooting and passing big who rebounds as well as anyone. But his d is crap and apparently so too is his attitude.

He's being used like a role player right now. I don't really blame him. Defense he is weak in but putting a good defensive big man next to him helps minimize that.

I'd also rather LMA or Gasol, but those guys are probably not coming this way.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#11 » by E-Balla » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:51 pm

god shammgod wrote:

Best part about this is that it's kinda true but it still sounds like you're clowning Bron.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#12 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:51 pm

To be fair I can see Lebron being annoying.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#13 » by Bklyn&company » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:51 pm

I Don't want Love... he can go play with Kobe.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#14 » by E-Balla » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:52 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I think this season has shown his weaknesses much more than his strengths.

He's done nothing but play his game out there and minimize his role (because he was getting a ton of touches down low in Minny) so Lebron and Kyrie can shine. Sounds like he's doing everything he can outside of becoming a different player so they can win.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#15 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 pm

:nonono:
Jay10 wrote:Stay away from the guy that can't produce while playing alongside the best player in the league.

I never liked this trio from the beginning, but I envisioned Irving being the one on the outside. Irving to his credit has shown a lot of maturity this season.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#16 » by kane2021 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 pm

I was a real big fan of loves game. But as a rule of thumb,... big men who put up big numbers on a losing team is a red flag.

It became clear to me a few years ago that love is going to be best suited with less weight on his shoulders. Less responsibility. And become more of a "team" contributor. Very similar to a guy like David Lee. Just go out there and hit the glass. Make the right pass. Hit open jump shots. Take advantage of mistakes and mismatches. These are all skills he has.

Now being put in that situation with the cavs. And being paired with the games most dominating player. His production has fallen in his role as would be expected. But no one is happy about it. So maybe he dont like james? But the problem here seems to be more than james. It seems to be that Love dont like being a soldier.

With that being said how in NY any better of a fit? Chances are he would like the lakers situation better because he has a chance to be the general. A role that he enjoys more personally,... even though it hasnt been successful for a team.

These are the type of players we always seem to target and it always seems to back fire. Love has not found a combination of success and happiness. If he leaves the cavs,... its because he is still trying to find himself. Trying to find something that makes him happy.

Buyer beware. Knicks beware. Because we are in the same boat as love. Trying to find ourselves. And like the cavs, we have a similar player in carmelo,... and a MUCH less successful team. Its going to be the same kinda sacrifices that are making him unhappy now.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#17 » by omerome » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:04 pm

god shammgod wrote:

True and if Love is just a quiet type person, he will absolutely love playing in NYC.

However, he isn't some scrub though. If we are interested in him, it is IMPERATIVE to get a big man who can defend.

But still, I don't really want him. It seems that this drama is something that will carry over to the next team he's on.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#18 » by Marty McFly » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:04 pm

I don't think he's an ideal fit, but I would sign him if I had the chance. Knicks aren't really a team that's in position to turn away talent. I think it's likelier he signs with the Lakers though. Maybe then can team there. So long aways the Lakers part with a top 4 pick, anyway.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#19 » by King of Canada » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:06 pm

If he leaves Cleveland (and he should, F Lebron) he is only going to LA.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#20 » by Tron Carter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:11 pm

would take love if we get towns. then focus on perimeter defenders.

want nothing to do with dj on my team unless it's for fanduel.
R.I.P Black Mamba

Return to New York Knicks