ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: St Johns fire Steve Lavin (Chris Mullin coming home?)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RealGM
And1: 39,218

Re: OT: St Johns fire Steve Lavin (Chris Mullin coming home?) 

Post#61 » by 2010 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:42 pm

Mullin is making Lavin look bad right now :lol:

As far as the prospects go, I like Darien Williams better than Tariq Owens. Owens is just an athlete, he's incredibly raw, and needs to put on some weight bad. And he won't be eligible next season.

Owens, although signed by Mullin, is the typical Lavin commitment in that he's a run-jump athlete with questionable skills who won't contribute immediately.

Where as Williams is more fitting of the criteria of which Mullin has said he's looking for. Skilled, fundamental, size, and can play right away.

I think Mullin is built for success in the college landscape more than what he showed in the NBA as an exec. Recruiting will be his ace card as he has the resume to really impress these local kids (NBA All-Star, original Dream Team member, All-Time scoring leader at St. John's, from Brooklyn and he's white but has street cred and swagg - guy can walk into the Rucker or IS-8 AAU games and the hood will love him).

At first I wanted Dan Hurley cuz of the x's and o's but now I realize the name of the game in college is the ability to recruit. Mullin will dominate the NYC/NJ landscape in that area now. And if he lands all the major tri-state talent, the lack of x's and o's won't hurt him as much. Cuz you win with talent and teamwork.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach
And1: 798

Post#62 » by Blue Ninja » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:54 pm

2010 wrote:Mullin is making Lavin look bad right now :lol:

As far as the prospects go, I like Darien Williams better than Tariq Owens. Owens is just an athlete, he's incredibly raw, and needs to put on some weight bad. And he won't be eligible next season.

Owens, although signed by Mullin, is the typical Lavin commitment in that he's a run-jump athlete with questionable skills who won't contribute immediately.

Where as Williams is more fitting of the criteria of which Mullin has said he's looking for. Skilled, fundamental, size, and can play right away.

I think Mullin is built for success in the college landscape more than what he showed in the NBA as an exec. Recruiting will be his ace card as he has the resume to really impress these local kids (NBA All-Star, original Dream Team member, All-Time scoring leader at St. John's, from Brooklyn and he's white but has street cred and swagg - guy can walk into the Rucker or IS-8 AAU games and the hood will love him).

At first I wanted Dan Hurley cuz of the x's and o's but now I realize the name of the game in college is the ability to recruit. Mullin will dominate the NYC/NJ landscape in that area now. And if he lands all the major tri-state talent, the lack of x's and o's won't hurt him as much. Cuz you win with talent and teamwork.

It's crazy how Lavin couldn't get quality bigs to come here these past two seasons and yet Mullin already got 2 and is going to get his 3rd soon in Yankuba Sima (similar player to Owens, but a little bigger and 4 years of eligibility) in what 2 weeks?

Yeah Darien is hopefully an immediate contributor, but I would say that these athletes work much better in college than they do in the pros. I wouldn't put it past Owens to become the better player.

And finally Im totally agreeing. Mullin is a grand slam. The staff looks to be legit. Recruiting is looking good and there's real hustle there. Notice how no recruit or current player left after Lavin was let go. That shows that the school has become bigger than Lavin and that wasn't the case I think when he came here.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#63 » by poeman » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:29 pm

Blue Ninja wrote:
2010 wrote:Mullin is making Lavin look bad right now :lol:

It's crazy how Lavin couldn't get quality bigs to come here these past two seasons and yet Mullin already got 2 and is going to get his 3rd soon in Yankuba Sima (similar player to Owens, but a little bigger and 4 years of eligibility) in what 2 weeks?

Yeah Darien is hopefully an immediate contributor, but I would say that these athletes work much better in college than they do in the pros. I wouldn't put it past Owens to become the better player.

And finally Im totally agreeing. Mullin is a grand slam. The staff looks to be legit. Recruiting is looking good and there's real hustle there. Notice how no recruit or current player left after Lavin was let go. That shows that the school has become bigger than Lavin and that wasn't the case I think when he came here.

Loved when Mullin said..."Kids know me from the video games. They come up to me and say, they dropped 42 points with me on the dream team"

lol I think Mullin can win parents and the kids over. He is a HOF player with a great attitude about coaching and the swagger is impeccable
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#64 » by kerry kittles » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:38 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/587397738318430208[/tweet]

Great hire. Really think St. John's can land some good recruits these next couple seasons with this staff.
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by Blue Ninja » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:36 am

kerry kittles wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/587397738318430208[/tweet]

Great hire. Really think St. John's can land some good recruits these next couple seasons with this staff.

I agree. Got two ace recruiters now and both off them as top assistants in the country from #1 seed and #3 seed in the tournament. Both have strong NYC ties. Going big.

We're looking at Ed Pinckney from the Bulls as the other assistant position. That's a hell of a staff. An NBA guy, a guy from Kentucky and one who helped bring Iowa State to a #3 seed. Great job by Mullin and St. John's for opening up their pockets.
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by Blue Ninja » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Another commit! Yankuba Sima committed to us today. He's immediately eligible and has 4 years to play. Legit 6'11" with some size and athleticism. Can rebound and defend but very raw offensively. Maryland, Arizona, Baylor were some of the schools with either offers or interest.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#67 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Mullin is off to a bang and here I thought Lavin did a solid job for what St John's has become. Sima reads as someone who can block shots like Obekpa but also rebound.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#68 » by 2010 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:43 am

Blue Ninja wrote:Another commit! Yankuba Sima committed to us today. He's immediately eligible and has 4 years to play. Legit 6'11" with some size and athleticism. Can rebound and defend but very raw offensively. Maryland, Arizona, Baylor were some of the schools with either offers or interest.

Mullin is in full-on beast-mode right now! And the best part is he's securing bigs. Once you have those commitments from the bigs it only makes getting the guards easier.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by Blue Ninja » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:40 am

Rysheed Jordan has announced he is coming back! Lots of positive momentum right now for St. John's.
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by Blue Ninja » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 am

Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com on Sima:

“He’s very athletic, 6-11, he’s a monster rebounder, he can shoot some 3s once in a while,” Givony told The 4 Quarters Podcast. “He’s not a great shooter. He can block shots. It’s an unbelievable commitment, to me, to get that kind of kid this late in the game, it really tells you the kind of job that St. John’s is doing on the recruiting trail.

“To me, he’s a better prospect than anybody St. John’s has had during the Lavin regime…On talent alone, this guy is a pro prospect. I’m very excited as a New York City native to be able to go see him so close to my house.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/yankuba-si ... -announce/

Return to New York Knicks