ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Police Officer Charged With Murder, Shot Fleeing Suspect

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

fullermd
Banned User
And1: 142

Re: OT: Police Officer Charged With Murder, Shot Fleeing Suspect 

Post#201 » by fullermd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:There's something to be said about stories like this always reaching the mainstream news, while brothas in the streets get gunned down by other brothas. And you never hear people say a word about it. :noway: :noway: :noway:
I know a few that I grew up with that were gunned down and nobody their lives weren't talked about in the mainstream news. But if a white cop shoots a black guy its different.Why?
Oh I know why because they know the viewership rises if its a story about white vs black. We can't allow these people to manipulate our minds anymore.
Things are backwards in this country, for real.

Exactly it's a war zone in our own neighborhood and we don't bat an eye most just laugh at it.

Why I laughed at the dude who said the hung is on. Comical

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

The hunt is on is what I said.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,441

Post#202 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:There's something to be said about stories like this always reaching the mainstream news, while brothas in the streets get gunned down by other brothas. And you never hear people say a word about it. :noway: :noway: :noway:
I know a few that I grew up with that were gunned down and nobody their lives weren't talked about in the mainstream news. But if a white cop shoots a black guy its different.Why?
Oh I know why because they know the viewership rises if its a story about white vs black. We can't allow these people to manipulate our minds anymore.

Exactly it's a war zone in our own neighborhood and we don't bat an eye most just laugh at it.

yeah lets hold law enforcement to the same standard as gangbangers....
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,713

Post#203 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Let me break it down another way.

FOR THE INDIVIDUAL: It matters how you act in these situations. If Walter Scott hadn't run, he in all likelihood wouldn't be dead. He may have had other problems - deserved or not - but he would probably be alive. That matters a lot... certainly to Walter Scott. For his friends, family, and community the fact that he ran matters quite a bit.

ON A SOCIETAL LEVEL: It matters not one bit that he ran. It's a very important part of Scott's story but it's not that important as a part of this news story other than to point out that the response of lethal force and planting evidence was wholly and completely out of line for an on duty officer, paid to serve and protect the public.

We don't publicize the incident where the policeman takes the correct action and works to arraign the unarmed man who flees without excessive force. We appreciate it. Maybe we should say so more often. But that is an officer correctly doing their job; to serve and protect the public. I do my job honorably too every day but nobody's taking me to lunch over it.

We need to keep publicizing the incidents where excessive force is used inappropriately. What matters in this case is that the responding officer resorted to lethal force in a situation that fell well below the bar of calling for it. Walter Scott is not the first man to suffer this fate. It happens all the time to the point where this scenario has repeatedly been depicted in movies, tv. music. Just look for it. This one just happened to be captured in full detail on camera. It can't be swept under. And fortunately in this case we've found a police department that is finally responding appropriately. But how many times does that happen and not get captured on film? How many times is the taser left with the man and it's accepted as fact that he attempted to assault the officer?

You can understand the individual and societal impact simultaneously. You can know how to protect yourself to survive in an existing reality while politically understanding that the construction of that reality needs to be changed. You can comply with police in individual settings AND politically take a stance to insure that when these injustices happen, they are managed properly by the police departments and the justice system. You can still demand that bad cops are dismissed from the forces and that departments that are complicit with any slaughter and systematic incarceration of the people they are paid to serve and protect are dismantled. You can understand that racism underlies the way some of these departments and officers process and react to crime.

Unless you've been videotaped, you'll be much better off as a political agent if you're alive.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Vash
Rookie
And1: 129

Post#204 » by Vash » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:05 pm

What I take away is...

He should not have run;

THe cop should not have shot and planted the tazer;

Child support and alimony payments are horrific. AMerica needs to find a better way, copy Sweden.

Is it violence justified or not? If we are a product of our environment, the how can society treat those are usually commit violence and thefy and murders but to label? The negativity towards black people, is it self for-filling? Is it based on race or actions of a race which labels black people into a negative light?
RealGM
And1: 39,290

Post#205 » by 2010 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 pm

This viewpoint is tired and stupid. Do you see it make CNN with some sensational headline when a white guy kills a white guy? ***Newsflash*** white people are more likely to kill white people just like black people are more likely to kill black people. Statistics have proven that. So this black-on-black crime "problem" that is often touted is complete bullschit. There's no such problem in existence anymore than there's a white-on-white crime problem. These types of situations make headlines because THERE IS a white cop killing black male civilian problem. Statistics support that more unarmed black males are murdered by police officers than white unarmed males.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#206 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Just heard a story about a black guy who was playing basketball against 2 cops. He embarrassed them on the court, and the video went viral. What did the cops do? The next day they come and put this dude in handcuffs for over 1 hour searching his car...they claimed they were looking for his friend. I just don't understand the actions of some of these cops these days.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,222

Post#207 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Pardon me while I digress for a moment. I just found this other incident involving a couple a Philly cops who come upon these guys playing basketball with some kids on a playground. The cops come onto the court and challenge the older (early 20s) guys to a game of 2 on 2 telling them that they - the cops - don't see anyone that's any good on the court. Unbeknownst to the cops, one of the guys was a small college ballplayer. Some other guys on the court taped the match and this kid broke these cops ankles and the video of him embarrassing these cops went viral. Don't you know that two days later these cops go and find this guy and arrest him and bring him down to the police district on some kind of "suspicious drug activity" before releasing him without any charges. :-o Here's the article with the embedded video. The video is hysterical.

CLICK THIS LINK:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/philly ... al-arrest/
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,846

Post#208 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 pm

BullBearBidness wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I think we are in agreement here. The guy made a stupid choice, one that opened up a whole host of negative options on the menu, and he got the worst one.

Why the **** does this matter? One of the biggest parts of cop physical testing and training to even become an officer is running long distances to catch a fleeing suspect. NO COP is EVER trained to shoot a fleeing suspect, unless that person poses an immediate threat to others, which this guy clearly did not.

Jeezus, did you even read my other posts? Of course no cop should ever do this. My point is, if you do something crazy, other bad things could happen, like, for instance,giving a lunatic cop a chance to do something nuts.
finesse185
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#209 » by finesse185 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:01 am

very interesting this is a white family literally fighting police they didn't even think about pulling guns. is this not white privilege?
vids like this really upset me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/1 ... 46392.html
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,235

Post#210 » by Fat Kat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:03 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/deray/status/587111012668727296[/tweet]
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#211 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Fat Kat wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/deray/status/587111012668727296[/tweet]

complete disregard for human life.
Free Palestine
fullermd
Banned User

Post#212 » by fullermd » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Jkam31 wrote:

That's because you don't understand what I am saying.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,280

Post#213 » by RSCD3_ » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nyk97 wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:What's really wrong with this country is that an officer felt comfortable enough to not only fire 8 shots at a fleeing suspect killing him, but to then try and plant the taser on the suspect all while being filmed...incredible. I've never seen a dude so calm about cold blooded murder.

just saw the video, im disgusted, and i wasnt at all talking about the actual shooting when i said that, i was just speaking for the way its always turned into a skin color war no matter what. as for the actual case, im absolutely disgusted, im 100% against police brutality. that is absolutely what is wrong with our country youre correct.

This whole incident was about race. Why do you think he was pulled over in the first place? A black man driving a tinted window Mercedes Benz. LOL. Of course it was. Get the blinders off.

It's definitely indicative of race but for the Sake of the trial I hope it doesn't get brought up a lot by the accuser's lawyer ( or whatever the term is ) because that never works well in courts it seems. You could avoid saying anything abkut race and still win this I'd say.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
fullermd
Banned User

Post#214 » by fullermd » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:19 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nyk97 wrote:
just saw the video, im disgusted, and i wasnt at all talking about the actual shooting when i said that, i was just speaking for the way its always turned into a skin color war no matter what. as for the actual case, im absolutely disgusted, im 100% against police brutality. that is absolutely what is wrong with our country youre correct.

This whole incident was about race. Why do you think he was pulled over in the first place? A black man driving a tinted window Mercedes Benz. LOL. Of course it was. Get the blinders off.

It's definitely indicative of race but for the Sake of the trial I hope it doesn't get brought up a lot by the accuser's lawyer ( or whatever the term is ) because that never works well in courts it seems. You could avoid saying anything abkut race and still win this I'd say.

This is a hate crime and should be federally prosecuted
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,441

Post#215 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 pm

GameTime_3 wrote:If this thread is an example of this country were in big trouble. People are so stuck on what side they are on that they refuse to actually look at facts and take in any reasoning... And even if they do, they look for a way to bring it back to there original position. Sad stuff. This case is an example of 2 dumb decisions(of course cop shooting was worse) but to ignore this person actions is equally as dumb as the actions themselves. Place yourself in the cops shoes; You pull over someone(all cops are on edge. Stop acting like there job is simple and that nothing ever goes wrong. Easy to talk **** when ur not the one putting ur life on line) and they begin to run. Cop should be punished but this case has nothing to do with Race and anyone looking for it to me comes off as a racist. I pray for both families and this is a tragic situation that will
Destroy lots of lives.
police officers CHOSE to engage in this line of work..do we sing praise to the construction worker whose on scaffolds 300 feet above the ground....the person served as no threat to the officer and the officer had previously caught up to him (earlier video)...also can you blame A black male being slightly fearful of a group that has stigmatized and alienated them....get a clue...(this doesn't even mention the cop planting evidence)...this is justvanother injustice in the line of many perpetrated by the law enforcement community....thank a bystander is ensuring justice will be served
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#216 » by Sprewell4Three » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/deray/status/587111012668727296[/tweet]

complete disregard for human life.

What happened here?
What's the story in this one? Can't believe this crap is happening again.
RealGM
And1: 39,290

Post#217 » by 2010 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:28 pm

"F*ck your breath."

Lets see these closet racist police apologists defend that one.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#218 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 am

I had to post this because this story is too f*cking unbelievable.

So, in a nutshell, this story comes out about how this Deputy Sheriff decides to help out his fellow officers who are struggling with this guy on the ground who they're trying to arrest. So the Deputy decides to pull out his Taser and shoots it at the suspect. Problem is he unholstered his gun by mistake and ends up killing the guy. Turns out this "Deputy" is a 73 year old insurance executive with a local insurance company who donates all this "stuff" to the Department. He - and a bunch other wealthy ass holes who pay to "play cop" - go through some basic training and they let him ride along and back-up. And the, of course, things go awry.

LOL. I knew he couldn't be a cop when I read that he kept on saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" to the guy he just killed.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/depu ... -play-cop/

Deputy who killed man after mistaking gun for Taser is an insurance exec who pays to play cop
Tom Boggioni TOM BOGGIONI
12 APR 2015 AT 21:01 ET

The reserve Tulsa County Sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot and killed a man last week when he thought he had pulled his Taser, is part of a group of wealthy donors who make large contributions to the department for the privilege of playing police officer.

According to Tulsa World, Robert Bates, 73, who made the fatal mistake that cost a man his life, is a local insurance company executive who has donated multiple vehicles, weapons, and stun guns to the Sheriff’s Office since becoming a reserve deputy in 2008.

Bates is responsible for the death of Eric Harris, when he attempted to assist in the arrest of Harris as he struggled on the ground with Tulsa sheriff’s deputies. Bates shot Harris with his service weapon believing he had pulled his Taser.

In video released Friday, Bates can be heard apologizing, saying “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” as police handcuffed Harris before he was taken to a local hospital where he died from his gunshot wound.

According to Maj. Shannon Clark, Bates is a highly regarded member of the Reserve Deputy Program who was assisting the Sheriff’s Office’s Violent Crimes Task Force when Harris was shot.

Clark stated that Bates is one of many wealthy donors among the agency’s 130 reserve deputies, saying, “There are lots of wealthy people in the reserve program. Many of them make donations of items. That’s not unusual at all.”

On Monday, the Sheriff’s Office deferred questions to the county commissioners’ office when asked for a list of items Bates had donated, including his own service weapon and Taser.

Bates, who served as a Tulsa police officer for one year in 1964, is not compensated for his time assisting the sheriff’s deputies, and is classified as an “advanced reserve,” meaning he “can do anything a full-time deputy can do,” explained Clark.

“Although he had training and experience for the arrest team, he’s not assigned to the arrest team,” Clark said of Bates’ role assisting the task force. “He came to render aid during the altercation, but he’s in a support role during the operation. That means keeping notes, doing counter-surveillance, things like that.”

Following 320 hours of training with CLEET (the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) as well as have completed 480 hours of the TCSO Field Training Officer Program, an “advanced” reserve can “perform normal field duties by themselves and without the direct supervision of a certified deputy” according to the training program

The Tulsa Police Depart also utilizes reserves, however the approximately 55 reserve officers are typically limited to working traffic control or parking lot patrols during “Safe Shopper” operations during the holiday shopping seasons.

The Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office has yet to decide whether they will press charges against Bates.
Free Palestine
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,429
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#219 » by E-Balla » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:22 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I had to post this because this story is too f*cking unbelievable.

So, in a nutshell, this story comes out about how this Deputy Sheriff decides to help out his fellow officers who are struggling with this guy on the ground who they're trying to arrest. So the Deputy decides to pull out his Taser and shoots it at the suspect. Problem is he unholstered his gun by mistake and ends up killing the guy. Turns out this "Deputy" is a 73 year old insurance executive with a local insurance company who donates all this "stuff" to the Department. He - and a bunch other wealthy ass holes who pay to "play cop" - go through some basic training and they let him ride along and back-up. And the, of course, things go awry.

LOL. I knew he couldn't be a cop when I read that he kept on saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" to the guy he just killed.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/depu ... -play-cop/

Deputy who killed man after mistaking gun for Taser is an insurance exec who pays to play cop
Tom Boggioni TOM BOGGIONI
12 APR 2015 AT 21:01 ET

The reserve Tulsa County Sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot and killed a man last week when he thought he had pulled his Taser, is part of a group of wealthy donors who make large contributions to the department for the privilege of playing police officer.

According to Tulsa World, Robert Bates, 73, who made the fatal mistake that cost a man his life, is a local insurance company executive who has donated multiple vehicles, weapons, and stun guns to the Sheriff’s Office since becoming a reserve deputy in 2008.

Bates is responsible for the death of Eric Harris, when he attempted to assist in the arrest of Harris as he struggled on the ground with Tulsa sheriff’s deputies. Bates shot Harris with his service weapon believing he had pulled his Taser.

In video released Friday, Bates can be heard apologizing, saying “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” as police handcuffed Harris before he was taken to a local hospital where he died from his gunshot wound.

According to Maj. Shannon Clark, Bates is a highly regarded member of the Reserve Deputy Program who was assisting the Sheriff’s Office’s Violent Crimes Task Force when Harris was shot.

Clark stated that Bates is one of many wealthy donors among the agency’s 130 reserve deputies, saying, “There are lots of wealthy people in the reserve program. Many of them make donations of items. That’s not unusual at all.”

On Monday, the Sheriff’s Office deferred questions to the county commissioners’ office when asked for a list of items Bates had donated, including his own service weapon and Taser.

Bates, who served as a Tulsa police officer for one year in 1964, is not compensated for his time assisting the sheriff’s deputies, and is classified as an “advanced reserve,” meaning he “can do anything a full-time deputy can do,” explained Clark.

“Although he had training and experience for the arrest team, he’s not assigned to the arrest team,” Clark said of Bates’ role assisting the task force. “He came to render aid during the altercation, but he’s in a support role during the operation. That means keeping notes, doing counter-surveillance, things like that.”

Following 320 hours of training with CLEET (the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) as well as have completed 480 hours of the TCSO Field Training Officer Program, an “advanced” reserve can “perform normal field duties by themselves and without the direct supervision of a certified deputy” according to the training program

The Tulsa Police Depart also utilizes reserves, however the approximately 55 reserve officers are typically limited to working traffic control or parking lot patrols during “Safe Shopper” operations during the holiday shopping seasons.

The Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office has yet to decide whether they will press charges against Bates.

Wow. The story I read said nothing about him basically paying to be a deputy.

This country's whole legal, jailing, and policing system is completely broken. Nearly as broken as our government.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,392

Post#220 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:01 am

Fat Kat wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Weird thing is it looks like the stun gun was the cause of death... That noise was a stun gun not an actual gun shot. If the officer told the truth he'd have been better off... Still gotten sued, but yea.

Loss of life... worst for that young mans friends and family.

WTF are you talking about? The man got shot in the back 8 times.

But the noise of the stun-gun is still compelling evidence, right? You can't deny that.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.

Return to New York Knicks