ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: So nobody cares about the cop that got shot/killed?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Re: OT: So nobody cares about the cop that got shot/killed? 

Post#41 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 5, 2015 8:42 pm

Jose7© wrote:
2010 wrote:The reason I think this heinous act is important to discuss (besides the obvious loss of human life) is because it strengthens the pro-police officer sentiment in how thin the line is for cops when assessing how to deal with potential situations that may arise in the line of duty. You only really get a split second to make a decision and it could cost you your life. And sub-standard human beings like Demetrius Blackwell will only get more unarmed civilians killed as a result of what he's done.

This cat was a criminal and a felon.

RIP to the police officer but that's no **** excuse for the terrorism that police around the US place upon black men.

Lol at terrorism the majority of police are good people they'res bad ones like any other group..

If anyone is terrorizing the black community it's the urban terrorists who live there..
RealGM
And1: 39,248

Post#42 » by 2010 » Tue May 5, 2015 8:46 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Jose7© wrote:
2010 wrote:The reason I think this heinous act is important to discuss (besides the obvious loss of human life) is because it strengthens the pro-police officer sentiment in how thin the line is for cops when assessing how to deal with potential situations that may arise in the line of duty. You only really get a split second to make a decision and it could cost you your life. And sub-standard human beings like Demetrius Blackwell will only get more unarmed civilians killed as a result of what he's done.

RIP to the police officer but that's no **** excuse for the terrorism that police around the US place upon black men.

Lol at terrorism the majority of police are good people they'res bad ones like any other group..

If anyone is terrorizing the black community it's the urban terrorists who live there..

Do us all a favor and go crawl back under your rock. You provide nothing but divisive elements to any attempts at civil dialogue about sensitive topics.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#43 » by MelosSoreWrist » Tue May 5, 2015 9:02 pm

Isiahthomass wrote:

I think it doesn't necessarily strengthen anything, because police officers are well aware of the dangers that they face everyday when they go out on those streets. They very well know that they may not be going home when their shift ends.

I think linking it to more unarmed citizens being killed as a result of what Demetrius Blackwell did is a bit weak. From my understanding, he didn't pat the guy down, he didn't restrain him, he was just speaking to him. This could happen to any police officer if they meet the wrong person in the street. That is the reality of any police officers' world, one that the general public seems to have a difficult time perceiving.

You and several posters here have expressed similar feeling. Policing is dangerous, risk of death is part of the job. Anyone can be armed and ready to shoot.

But if you accept that, dont you have to also accept that cops are going to act accordingly to that. Take extra precautions. Make sure they themselves and the public are safe.

So when you charge at a cop, they will defend themselves. If you resist arrest, they will restrain you. Isnt that to be accepted as well.

Not saying there arent bad cops, bad shootings etc. But there is a two way street to this tension.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
knicksup19
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#44 » by knicksup19 » Tue May 5, 2015 9:11 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Isiahthomass wrote:

I think it doesn't necessarily strengthen anything, because police officers are well aware of the dangers that they face everyday when they go out on those streets. They very well know that they may not be going home when their shift ends.

I think linking it to more unarmed citizens being killed as a result of what Demetrius Blackwell did is a bit weak. From my understanding, he didn't pat the guy down, he didn't restrain him, he was just speaking to him. This could happen to any police officer if they meet the wrong person in the street. That is the reality of any police officers' world, one that the general public seems to have a difficult time perceiving.

You and several posters here have expressed similar feeling. Policing is dangerous, risk of death is part of the job. Anyone can be armed and ready to shoot.

But if you accept that, dont you have to also accept that cops are going to act accordingly to that. Take extra precautions. Make sure they themselves and the public are safe.

So when you charge at a cop, they will defend themselves. If you resist arrest, they will restrain you. Isnt that to be accepted as well.

Not saying there arent bad cops, bad shootings etc. But there is a two way street to this tension.

im a iraqi war veteran i been shot its part of the job, cops having a increase probability is part of the job thats why theres is no national story, killing men that dont pose a risk is not part of the job its that simple there is no correlation. If a terrorist would have killed me i woud have been buried and had proper military decorated services.. If i killed a Iraqi who was innocent without following the USAF rules of engangement i would be in jail right now..

This is what blacks and (whites) beacuse the protested are becoming more and more multi racial are upset about.

you cant use one situation to somehow deem another situation as not as serious an issue
ImageThe big three in the House!!! LOL]
knicksup19
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#45 » by knicksup19 » Tue May 5, 2015 9:16 pm

aka the fact that a police officer was killed in the line of duty and it hasnt made national news, doesnt make the fact that police are killing african americans less important..not saying these people being killed are great people.

who knows they may be dirt bags doesnt mean they deserve to die my brother is a dirt bag if he decides to run from the police he should be chased down in whatever timeframe to catch him and jailed not killed.

I am african american and a business owner I contribute create jobs and pay taxes.. god forbid I get pulled over and "threaten" a cop thats the issue ppl are generally losing faith and becoming afraid of police..

I almost feel i should cut my beard and go bald so i can look more "ordinary" if you will thats a f**k up feeling to have
ImageThe big three in the House!!! LOL]
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,174

Post#46 » by moocow007 » Tue May 5, 2015 10:18 pm

Yeah cases like this definitely does show that sometimes cops are forced to make split second decisions that aren't always right. Of course being that they are police officers and supposedly trained, folks should expect them to be more accountable, but at the end of the day, we are talking about human beings. And being humans...and not androids or robots that can analyze 1000 different scenarios in a split second or have no concerns for personal well being...they make mistakes.

But definitely, there is a very odd disparity between outrage when someone that has a criminal history is killed vs. when a police officer is killed. There seems to be a lot less outrage from the masses in the later. Which is, if you think about it, kind of shocking.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 5, 2015 10:34 pm

2010 wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
Jose7© wrote:

Do us all a favor and go crawl back under your rock. You provide nothing but divisive elements to any attempts at civil dialogue about sensitive topics.

I'm divisive by sticking up for cops and blaming the thugs in these communities for innocent peoples lives being in danger everyday not the cops..

They'res people on here who straight up said they don't care about a cop dying yet I'm the divisive one? You're real selective with your outrage
GreatDane
Banned User
And1: 571

Post#48 » by GreatDane » Tue May 5, 2015 10:48 pm

Rock Bottom wrote:nope

What a thoughtful contribution. I know the exact reason why you feel this way.
Najeem27
General Manager
And1: 2,514

Post#49 » by Najeem27 » Tue May 5, 2015 10:51 pm

Now, if the cop quickly pulled out his gun and shot the criminal........then it would've been everywhere lol.

"He was a good man, he was adjusting his pants when he got shot" :lol:
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 5, 2015 10:58 pm

aliamri1017 wrote:Now, if the cop quickly pulled out his gun and shot the criminal........then it would've been everywhere lol.

"He was a good man, he was adjusting his pants when he got shot" :lol:

#Demetrius Blackwell

#were all Demetrius Blackwell"

Followed by media showing pics of him in elementary school
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#51 » by SARGO127 » Tue May 5, 2015 11:31 pm

BKAY wrote:
melomax wrote:

If you're worried about dying then dont become a cop.

or a criminal

post of the year
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#52 » by fresko024 » Wed May 6, 2015 12:54 am

MelosSoreWrist wrote:

That was my first line of thinking as well in light of whats been going on lately. It gives the pro police benefit-of-doubt sentiments more weight.

On the surface, yes but the guys that are being killed by police are unarmed. People seldom get into shootouts with cops but when they do and get killed in the process. I don't see anyone rioting or protesting those deaths.

What happened to this officer and the other two NYPD officers are horrible and inexcusable situations but they knew the dangers of the job. Either way, we need to better as a community to stop the violence on all levels.
Romans 8:1-4
AlphakirA
Senior
And1: 308

Post#53 » by AlphakirA » Wed May 6, 2015 2:32 am

melomax wrote:

That's a **** response. More retail employees get killed per year than police officers. Should everyone in retail quit tomorrow because of your garbage logic?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by moocow007 » Wed May 6, 2015 2:55 am

BKAY wrote:
melomax wrote:

or a criminal

Exactly.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by moocow007 » Wed May 6, 2015 2:57 am

melomax wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:
melomax wrote:If you're worried about dying then dont become a cop.

Do you think its feasible or even healthy to have all cops not be worried about dying?

Also would this line of reasoning work for criminals? Dont run if you dont want to die. Dont commit crimes if you dont want to die. Dont raise kids to commit crimes if you dont want your kids to die.

Just seems like an impractical thought and reasoning.

I believe that being a police officer is a dangerous but rewarding occupation. If you work for a major metropolitan, you are provided with a generous pension for 20 years of service. For their service, they are appropriately rewarded.

Sorry, but for that service, there are risks involved- e.g. getting killed.

What about drug dealers and other assorted criminals? Aren't their also risks of being killed?
NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,334

Post#56 » by NewEra » Wed May 6, 2015 2:59 am

NoLayupRule wrote:I find it shameful that people can't imagine a world where people who are outraged over cops killing civilians is the same world where people are outraged over criminals killing cops

I find it shameful that some people have to act like these are opposite sides of a coin when they are in fact both criminal and horrendous acts of brutality

lets stop trying to divide people by measuring outrage and come together, huh?

Thank you for posting this. I'm sorry but there is and was a hidden motive behind this thread that is very transparent based on the topic alone. I couldn't have said it any better. "Let's stop trying to divide people by measuring outrage and come together."
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
Isiahthomass
Bench Warmer
And1: 845

Post#57 » by Isiahthomass » Wed May 6, 2015 3:42 am

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Isiahthomass wrote:

Completely agree with you. It seems many times it is people that are resisting which leads to escalations. At the end of the day, and despite their training, the police are human beings too, and you cannot expect them to just shut down their emotions and become Robocop-esque. Should they be held accountable for mistakes and outright blatant abuse? Absolutely. But should they be penalized for defending themselves with a taser or service weapon when being attacked with fists or a knife? Absolutely not, the policeman is under no obligation to fight you fairly.
RealGM
And1: 39,248

Post#58 » by 2010 » Wed May 6, 2015 3:42 am

NewEra wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I find it shameful that people can't imagine a world where people who are outraged over cops killing civilians is the same world where people are outraged over criminals killing cops

I find it shameful that some people have to act like these are opposite sides of a coin when they are in fact both criminal and horrendous acts of brutality

lets stop trying to divide people by measuring outrage and come together, huh?

Thank you for posting this. I'm sorry but there is and was a hidden motive behind this thread that is very transparent based on the topic alone. I couldn't have said it any better. "Let's stop trying to divide people by measuring outrage and come together."

What was the hidden agenda? Seems like you're making a veiled attempt at calling me out, considering I'm the thread author. Which is funny to me considering I and-1'd and quoted NLR's post in a show of co-signage of the point he made. So what's my hidden agenda?

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,055

Post#59 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 6, 2015 4:10 am

#AllLivesMatter
Free Palestine
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#60 » by DickGrayson » Wed May 6, 2015 9:31 am

idc.

Return to New York Knicks