ImageImageImageImageImage

Timmy Traded to ATL for Jerian Grant

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,311

Re: Timmy Traded to ATL for Jerian Grant 

Post#421 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:49 pm

The post is the worst...I saw the headline, but Hardaway really didnt say anything bad

Tim Hardaway: I won’t forget Phil Jackson’s diss

“Once I heard him say that, all hands on deck now,” Hardaway said Monday at his introductory press conference in Atlanta. “Obviously as a basketball player, you take that to heart. So, it’s time to move on, get better, and when the time comes, the time comes. Right now, it’s all about Atlanta basketball.”

“The triangle is a tough offense to get used to,” Hardaway said. “You really have to be dedicated and mature to that end. We tried. We tried our best while we were there, but it’s a learning process. You learn and you get better each and every day. I think after a year, those guys will get used to it.”

On what went wrong in his second season, Hardaway said: “It all started with summer league. Summer league we did a great job as a team, and then during the regular season it didn’t click very well going through training camp. I don’t know what happened. It was just a tough situation, a tough environment for all of us. It was definitely a learning experience.
“There was a lot of negative but a lot of positive moments through last year. It really helps you grow as an individual and a ball player to realize that nothing comes easy in this league and you have to work for everything. So, it definitely made me mature a lot more as a basketball player and take advantage of this opportunity a lot more.”
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
CANiLIVE
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#422 » by CANiLIVE » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 pm

Let me start by saying I love grants game, he has all the tools to stay in this league a very long time. My main issue with him is driving and finishing with his left consistently.

I saw a couple ND games and he always stood out clearly one of the best pg in the NCAA, is court vision, basketball IQ and ability to get to the cup and finish on top on that his size makes him one of the best point guard prospects the Knicks had in about 10 years.

If he can make that left stronger I see him stealing a lot on Jose's minutes , if Jose is even on the roster.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#423 » by mpharris36 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:The post is the worst...I saw the headline, but Hardaway really didnt say anything bad

Tim Hardaway: I won’t forget Phil Jackson’s diss

“Once I heard him say that, all hands on deck now,” Hardaway said Monday at his introductory press conference in Atlanta. “Obviously as a basketball player, you take that to heart. So, it’s time to move on, get better, and when the time comes, the time comes. Right now, it’s all about Atlanta basketball.”

“The triangle is a tough offense to get used to,” Hardaway said. “You really have to be dedicated and mature to that end. We tried. We tried our best while we were there, but it’s a learning process. You learn and you get better each and every day. I think after a year, those guys will get used to it.”

On what went wrong in his second season, Hardaway said: “It all started with summer league. Summer league we did a great job as a team, and then during the regular season it didn’t click very well going through training camp. I don’t know what happened. It was just a tough situation, a tough environment for all of us. It was definitely a learning experience.
“There was a lot of negative but a lot of positive moments through last year. It really helps you grow as an individual and a ball player to realize that nothing comes easy in this league and you have to work for everything. So, it definitely made me mature a lot more as a basketball player and take advantage of this opportunity a lot more.”

not surprised THjr thought the triangle was difficult to pick up. You know who else thought it was difficult....JR smith you clown!
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#424 » by TheBigBoss » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
CoolKids wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:Where is Pharmcat at? In back to back trades (this trade and the Shved trade with Houston), Phil completely smoked 2 well respected GMs. He completely robbed these guys and he didnt even have a gun or a knife. Lets hear Pharm go on one of his anti-Phil rants now.

He did not smoke Morey in the Shved trade. Im glad we got Grant because

A. It got rid of THJ

B. He was one of my sleeper picks coming into the draft. I think he is at the very least a good starter and potentially more, and

C. It means we won't have to play this scrub Shved that much this year. Shved looked "decent" in a small sample size on an absolutely awful and talent less squad. There is a reason he never got much of an opportunity before, even though he was on some bad teams...

If you didn't notice Shved was putting us in a lot of close games. We even were starting to win. He doesn't get hurt and I am pretty sure we would have had a few more wins. He gave us finishing at the rim which we weren't getting and he was a true PG out there, and he shot pretty well. He looked good to good +, much better than decent.

Exactly! He gave us one of the best PG performances that we have had in a while. I doubt it was a fluke either, he just happened to play in a system that he fit into perfectly. Plus we got picks in the deal. Even without Shved that deal was a steal period.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#425 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Shved was the player that looked most comfortable in the Triangle of any player on this team last season.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#426 » by NYKAL » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:58 pm

The Euro guys seem to really thrive in systems as opposed to free flowing offenses.
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#427 » by CoolKids » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:07 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
CoolKids wrote:He did not smoke Morey in the Shved trade. Im glad we got Grant because

A. It got rid of THJ

B. He was one of my sleeper picks coming into the draft. I think he is at the very least a good starter and potentially more, and

C. It means we won't have to play this scrub Shved that much this year. Shved looked "decent" in a small sample size on an absolutely awful and talent less squad. There is a reason he never got much of an opportunity before, even though he was on some bad teams...

If you didn't notice Shved was putting us in a lot of close games. We even were starting to win. He doesn't get hurt and I am pretty sure we would have had a few more wins. He gave us finishing at the rim which we weren't getting and he was a true PG out there, and he shot pretty well. He looked good to good +, much better than decent.

Exactly! He gave us one of the best PG performances that we have had in a while. I doubt it was a fluke either, he just happened to play in a system that he fit into perfectly. Plus we got picks in the deal. Even without Shved that deal was a steal period.

Yea he just magically got better when he was traded to the knicks
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#428 » by aq_ua » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:33 pm

DrCoach wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Pooh Jeter and Marbury will kill college players

Marbury's Chinese team played the Georgetown Hoyas when they were led by Otto Porter and Henry Sims and lost. As an indicator of level of competition.

You mean the game where there was a brawl????...LMAO

The Dream Team lost to some college players...

No fella, that was a different game. Ouch.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#429 » by NY2TheBay » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:40 pm

God, I loved this move! I was calling my boys up telling them about the robbery that occured. They were all..uhhh..yea man I guess so...while waiting on the warriors pick. Realized Ive been pretty deprived on draft day as a knick fan..lol.

Love Grant, love the connection with harvey and horace and Phil. This was the cherry on top of what was a great draft night.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,115

Post#430 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:29 am

moocow007 wrote:Shved was the player that looked most comfortable in the Triangle of any player on this team last season.

i think jason smith second half and on looked comfortable as well, which is why the knicks might re-sign him.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#431 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:16 am

moocow007 wrote:Shved was the player that looked most comfortable in the Triangle of any player on this team last season.

I can attest to this after teeing him play live vs. golden state towards the end of the season. He was the best player on the floor for the knicks and seemed to be playing smoothly within the offensive sets.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,079

Post#432 » by stuporman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 am

It's funny when people try to use what number draft pick someone was selected and the difference between a couple years as the determining factor in what is "upside" or "potential".

Shows me they have zero understanding of context and individual circumstance.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#433 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:13 am

Looks like he's gone, they gave his number away to Zingy.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#434 » by denterprise » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:41 am

FirePjax wrote:

Looks like he's gone, they gave his number away to Zingy.

I thought he had another year on his contract. Did he have an option that the team may decide not to pick up? Shved looked really good in this system and hopefully he will be back.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#435 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 am

CoolKids wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Do you really want to base your argument with comments like that?

For whatever reason (doubt it was magic), Shved played well here. You could see his skill. If his skill was a big improvement (and it was) you can't just call it "decent" when it was in fact very good, even if you don't agree with him as a player.

Perhaps the reason Shved really didn't shine before is because he is a bit of a systems guy. He is certainly not the first player that has happened to...
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#436 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:44 am

earthmansurfer wrote:
CoolKids wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:

For whatever reason (doubt it was magic), Shved played well here. You could see his skill. If his skill was a big improvement (and it was) you can't just call it "decent" when it was in fact very good, even if you don't agree with him as a player.

Perhaps the reason Shved really didn't shine before is because he is a bit of a systems guy. He is certainly not the first player that has happened to...

Perhaps Shved just got hot (for him) for a stretch of 16 or so games. It happens all the time in sports. I wouldn't read too much into those 16 games and disregard his much greater body of work
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#437 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
CoolKids wrote:Yea he just magically got better when he was traded to the knicks

Perhaps Shved just got hot (for him) for a stretch of 16 or so games. It happens all the time in sports. I wouldn't read too much into those 16 games and disregard his much greater body of work

And Lin just got hot as well, I guess. I think it is more than that. In Lin's case a running system showed his strenghts and a halfcourt game showed his weaknesses. I think with Shved it was the opposite. Remember, they signed him for a reason and it isn't like he was an all star but he played a bit like when he first came into the league (before the fall off.)
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#438 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Melothegreat wrote:Let me start by saying I love grants game, he has all the tools to stay in this league a very long time. My main issue with him is driving and finishing with his left consistently.

I saw a couple ND games and he always stood out clearly one of the best pg in the NCAA, is court vision, basketball IQ and ability to get to the cup and finish on top on that his size makes him one of the best point guard prospects the Knicks had in about 10 years.

If he can make that left stronger I see him stealing a lot on Jose's minutes , if Jose is even on the roster.

If his main problem is driving and finishing with his left (consistently), then that is a pretty manageable thing. I didn't notice it, but I'm sure, even as a senior, he has some weaknesses. What you said, that said, his finishing % was really high, so if he gets his left worked out, then he will be a very balanced player.

The same criticism was said of Lin and people really dwelled on it, but he improved on it greatly the next year. Grant has some weaknesses for sure, but not a whole lot, so he is really going to be able to focus on them, and in so doing, really expand his game.
I'd like to see him improve his outside shot, which was better the year prior. And get better defensively - he has quick hands though, just needs some more muscle and experience.
Dbloc123
Sixth Man
And1: 406

Post#439 » by Dbloc123 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:05 pm

NYKAL wrote:The Euro guys seem to really thrive in systems as opposed to free flowing offenses.

Because its "Team Basketball"....
J.R. Smith's last-second whiff left the Knicks with a sixth straight loss. But J.R. would do it again. "I think we went with the best shot," he said.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,487

Post#440 » by CharlesOakley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:45 pm

I still can't believe we got this kid for a net negative player. Also - I'm sure THJ is excited to have been traded to a decent city with a good team. Phil didn't do wrong by him and has traded all Knicks to good situations.

Return to New York Knicks