ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: New York Knicks Interested in Signing Carlos Boozer

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Re: Report: New York Knicks Interested in Signing Carlos Boozer 

Post#161 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Boozer is Jason Smith with a little less defense and more rebounding and post moves. He could be useful to a team like us fighting for a 5-8 seed in the playoffs. I'd rather have more of a defensive presence but, I won't be upset about Booz to the Knicks especially since I'm guaranteed to hear about 100 cuss words and And 1's throughout the telecasts if he plays which is always funny to me.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,327

Post#162 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Yes, this is still a transitional season. Accepting this will make it easy to follow the team and not feel too up or down. If done properly, it can set up the team for something even better the following year. Lots of these players are rentals. Obvious statement, but it is at the heart of what Phil is now doing. Nobody is going to put this team over the hump this year anyway, so let's cross our fingers that KP is a true gem and Grant turns out to be a good PG.

My thesis is Phil is shooting for other off-season FA's and trying to get the team into better shape for a big signing later. Thank god he didn't try to get that now, because it would have been disastrous. All rebuilds require years like the one we're about to go through. You can't skip this coming year. It is what successful clubs do. We're finally doing it and not building a top heavy roster that will fail.

I'm surprised people actually are bummed out now. As if getting what they wanted would have set this team up for the long haul. Vision takes time and years like this coming one. I don't think Phil screwed up this off-season. Its a balanced use of resources to get the wheels turning again.
ImageImageImage
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#163 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:52 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Scoring and rebounding for 20 minutes off the bench for the vet min. That's something Boozer can do and you'd have to be pretty stupid to turn it down. This is a 30 win team at best and people are crying because a potential vet min signing doesn't play defense. We're not making the playoffs, so who gives a **** about defense anyway? Best you can hope for is that Porzingis observes what Boozer does and soaks it up like a sponge.

If this is a lost cause why we are not giving a chance to a player like Moreland (who suits more to the today's NBA with his quickness and athleticism rather than Boozer as I told 100 times) and try to develop him as our next Camby lite instead of giving 20 mins to a 34 year old non mentor player?

And if we are going to be a respectable 8th seeder anyway, Boozer will not be the guy who made that happen, we will have a better chance to be a respectable team by playing good defense and with high energy instead of trying to play slow halfcourt basketball while every other damn team in NBA kills us by their pace and spacing. For triangle to succeed in today's fast paced, quickness based NBA, it needs to be adopted as more reactive than memory. Thats gonna happen with young players who will have a chance to study on and be a part of the system for some time, not with a washed up vet who will have zero impact on young player's development anyway.

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#164 » by Carl_Karlson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 pm

To all the heads complaining about defense, most of our players are defensive minded. WE NEED MORE SCORING
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#165 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Carl_Karlson wrote:To all the heads complaining about defense, most of our players are defensive minded. WE NEED MORE SCORING

Some of us are talking about the starting unit. Boozer and Calderon and Melo on a starting 5 is pretty weak defensively. Most of the defensive-minded players are the other players.
ImageImageImage
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#166 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Carl_Karlson wrote:To all the heads complaining about defense, most of our players are defensive minded. WE NEED MORE SCORING

Whats the point if that scoring comes from giving up baskets everytime Heeello Amare Oh Bargs you were here too? Meet Carlos, perfect fit for our organization and fan base apparently

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#167 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Why are we collecting all these crappy PF's. Get off your ass PJ and get us some guards.

Phil is pulling a David Kahn expect instead of PG' she's doing it with PF's. jk.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#168 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:44 pm

moocow007 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Why are we collecting all these crappy PF's. Get off your ass PJ and get us some guards.

Phil is pulling a David Kahn expect instead of PG' she's doing it with PF's. jk.

That's Miss Phil Jackson to you
ImageImageImage
Turisas
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 39

Post#169 » by Turisas » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Would much rather sign Seraphin than Boozer
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#170 » by offense » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:25 pm

F naw, he better not come to the team.
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#171 » by Carl_Karlson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

Some of us are talking about the starting unit. Boozer and Calderon and Melo on a starting 5 is pretty weak defensively. Most of the defensive-minded players are the other players.

What's wrong with him coming off the bench and being on the floor at the same time as Grant, Gallow, and KOQ?
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#172 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Carl_Karlson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

What's wrong with him coming off the bench and being on the floor at the same time as Grant, Gallow, and KOQ?

Nothing. I said as much. Though I do think Grant will need to replace Calderon in the starting 5 if he is up to the job.
ImageImageImage
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,991

Post#173 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Have you seen the rest of the roster? Half of them have no basketball skills whatsoever. They're just nice guys. Phil filled the bench with a bunch of Landry Fields'. Now there's a chance to actually sign someone who can play.

I was with you until you mentioned Boozer can play. He's a net negative when he's on the floor. Well whatever might be interesting just for the entertainment value
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#174 » by MrProb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:06 pm

I don't want Boozer anywhere around here would much much rather have Seraphin.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,180

Post#175 » by BBALLER4FR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:50 pm

kane2021 wrote:For Christ sakes. Why is it so difficult to just be real? Why does everything have to be a lop sided exaggeration of the imagination one way or the other? Either boozer is this awful player who will hurt the team and cause us more losses, or he is this mystical wonder man who can do things no one has ever seen him do. Whats this all about?

He has a mid range jumper on the catch and shoot thats effective. Thats perfect for the triangle. Thats perfect for drive and dish kick outs. Its perfect for carmelo on a bail out. He has a post game. Thats also perfect for the triangle. It will take pressure off of carmelo in that we can play him off the ball in certain match ups. He can rebound. We need that. We are a weak rebounding team and rebounding is key to winning games. Boozer would be one of the better rebounders we have had in some years.

He's also not a star and not confused about that. He's not trying to find past glory. Or make a name for himself. He's been a winning player most of his career. Is it because of his stellar play? No. Of course not. But its safe to assume he has become accustomed to the work and preparation that comes with being a playoff team and by default probably expects to play in the post season. He has played with major talents before. He knows exactly what he has to do with carmelo and how to play off of that.

He's not a great defensive player. He's not a great athlete. He has had injury problems his entire career. If he gets the ball in the post his mind is going to be set on scoring. His jump shot is slow. It gives a defense time to catch up to him and once in motion the ball is not getting passed. He's not a factor in a fast break. He's not a leader and at this point is not really a guy you can rely on night in night out.

Now if you took those negatives away from boozer, and made them positives,... you have a franchise player worth 16 million a year.

Keeping it in perspective, at the minimum, to the 2.8 mil exception, he's a very solid addition.

Lopez will take pressure off of boozer. Boozer takes pressure off of melo. Boozer takes pressure off of the kids. This is all positive. And its all worth the little bit of money we are talking here. You wont get that by signing some young reject off another teams roster.

Jose
Afflallo
Melo
Boozer
Lopez

Thats a solid starting unit. All things considered. It makes for an exciting bench that on most nights will be younger, faster and more talented than who we go against. Gives those kids a chance to be better than the competition, gain confidence and learn the pro game.

What im seeing here is some people who dont want a solid starting 5. They want to see the young players play this role. They dont care if the team wins or if it stunts their growth. They just want to see those kids take shots. They're not thinking about the long term future of the franchise they just want to be entertained RIGHT now. Then have something to complain about come summer when the raptors are discussing their options with our lottery pick.

That starting 5 I just mentioned is not potent. Its not overly talented but its balanced. Its the type of starting 5 that carmelo should like because he can take control of games and have solid reliable players to go to in a pinch that will hit their shots. Rebound misses. It gives us a exciting 2nd unit that I bet will cause headaches for other teams. Gives those young kids a cheer leading squad of veteran players who will encourage them and teach them. And who knows,... maybe eventually surpass them and take their roles from them.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. You want to make a run at respectability and maybe grab up the 8th seed? You do it with a group of guys who know how to get it done. Not a group of kids who need to learn the game. Or young playoff team rejects. Or a bust with a history of drug issues and mental health disabilities.

Again we are talking about a player coming on for less than 3 million. A patch for one year. While maintaining a positive work environment, and developing younger players in a situation where they dont have the weight of the world on their shoulders. I feel stupid for even typing all this up because it dont even matter. Some folks have agendas and just want to see themselves speak. Could care less about the team. Put porzingas out there for 28 minutes a game and make him the focal point of the offense. Watch him struggle. Pressure him to become a star tonight. Who cares as long as you get to play ESPN first take on realgm after every game right?

I wasn't on board with Boozer at all but this post sold me! Well done my man :clap:
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#176 » by mugzi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:09 am

Damas wrote:
The New York Knicks have built a roster that’s somewhere in between temporary, makeshift and promising. There’s a star in Carmelo Anthony and a future force in Kristaps Porzingis, but the rest of the roster could be labeled as moving pieces.

Another short-term contributor could soon be added to the mix.

The Knicks’ interior will be led by Porzingis in future years, but in 2015-16, minutes will be battled for by he, Lou Amundson, Robin Lopez, Kyle O’Quinn and Derrick Williams. Given the nature of the group, it stands to reason that a veteran scorer is missing from the pack.

According to Michael Scotto of Sheridan Hoops, the Knicks are one of three teams pursuing Carlos Boozer.

Knicks, Rockets and Mavericks remain interested in Lakers free agent forward Carlos Boozer, league sources tell Sheridan Hoops.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/625885739532873728[/tweet]

His reputation has taken a few hits, but Boozer could help the Knicks in the short-term. He makes for an interesting fit in the Triangle Offense as a solid mid-range shooter who can operate from the elbow.

When aggressive, Boozer has also proven capable of mastering the pick-and-roll and scoring from the low block.

He isn’t the star that he once was, but that shouldn’t mean very much to the Knicks. New York is going to contend for a low seed in the Eastern Conference, if anything at all.

YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
rayofsunshine
Sixth Man
And1: 460

Post#177 » by rayofsunshine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:17 am

I was against him coming to the lakers last year, but he was alright. Worked hard, hustled, was supportive of teammates, nice short range jumper. Wouldn't be a bad pickup, if you got him cheap.
johnnywishbone
General Manager
And1: 1,361

Post#178 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:56 am

I can't believe peoples are upset up Ndour. We gave him a Summer Camp invite and he doesn't even come back and let us match Dallas's offer?

He can hit the road.
Play time is over.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,057

Post#179 » by DaGawd » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:34 am

Carmelos Boozery!
BaF
Washington Wizards
koogiking
Veteran