ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo trade talk

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: Melo trade talk 

Post#61 » by br7knicks » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:23 pm

could just be saying there's a possibility if things don't go well.

i don't listen to sports radio or watch ESPN, so i'm behind on my news
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User
And1: 77

Post#62 » by FrozenIceCubes » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:24 pm

Thugger- Very good post.

Phil and Fisher would love Russell who would be a GREAT fit in the triangle offense because of his shooting and passing ability that is precisely why Dunleavy threw Russell's name in the Melo trade scenario.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,078

Post#63 » by stuporman » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:27 pm

Ok, Mike, we get it, you like your own idea.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#64 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:35 pm

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Thugger- Very good post.

Phil and Fisher would love Russell who would be a GREAT fit in the triangle offense because of his shooting and passing ability that is precisely why Dunleavy threw Russell's name in the Melo trade scenario.

For us, it puts the Knicks full speed ahead into rebuilding with a focus on youth and development. Likely wont sniff the playoffs for another two years under this scenario at the earliest, but to be honest they might not make it with Melo this upcoming season.

Thats the real reality of our state of affairs.

I'm assuming you are a Lakers fan, so I'll table this question for you. Knowing Kobe has this final year and maybe 1 more, do you feel the Lakers are that willing to part with their own potential pieces for that one last chance? Btw, my wife is a Lakers fan, so I have someone close to discuss things like this with and the convo has come up. She wants no parts, rather keep her youth. It's title or rebuild with her, no in-between.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#65 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:35 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:I'll be honest, if the Lakers offered up Russell and maybe Randle for Melo...I'd be ecstatic

This! Give some young assets and the cap,space we get when removing melo's $25M deal and I'll take my chances.

Why do people think we'd get much more for post-knee injury 32 years old that has been in the league +12 years

A core of Porzingis and Russell would be a very good core to start developing, and plus their prime years match up with each other.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#66 » by AmazingJason » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:39 pm

Might as well keep Melo if all we get is that arrogant scrub/future bust. He's the next Ty Lawson; going to drinking through his misery of turning the ball over 6 times a game.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#67 » by Pjax4Prez » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:40 pm

I guess I'm more confused by:

A) Why would the Lakers do this. Like seriously, Randle has yet to play a full NBA game, Russell (No. 2 pick) has yet to play his first mins

B) If they trade for Melo, they would have to give up players on big contracts, in turn making them a non-playoff team.

C) Lastly, and most importantly (IMO) if they Lakers really want to trade their young assets for a superstar, why not go for one that's better for the long term. For example, wait until Sacramento Kings implode again (then try and trade for DMC again), or maybe Paul George gets disgruntled in Indiana (Also grew up a Lakers fan). Maybe the reports that that Russell Westbrook really wants to go to LA are true. Or maybe the Lakers try throw their hat in the KD race and we know the Thunder will trade a player before they lose them in free agency.

Of course, if the Lakers make an offer of D-Lo and a handful of other things, you have to consider it, just don't see what they gain from it. Again, they play in the west.
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#68 » by FrozenIceCubes » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:42 pm

Thugger-

I think Lakers moving there significant pieces hinges on how quickly Jim Buss wants the Lakers to move forward into becoming a contender he knows he's gonna get ousted if the team isn't competing soon.. So there is a lot of pressure involved so the answer is no I wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers trade one of there young core pieces to go all in.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:48 pm

Understood, but that deal actually makes it harder, unless the Lakers "Pau Gasol" somebody.

Melo + Kobe at this stage in their careers aren't contending as the top two players a the team let alone in the West, and it'll likely require two pieces to get a deal agreed to. The Lakers dont really have alot in the cupboard to trade.

They do have enough to get a Melo trade agreed to between the front offices, but the arent winning with that duo.

FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#70 » by FrozenIceCubes » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm sure there is gonna be players tossed on the Knicks and Lakers side.

The Lakers will probably get Melo + another piece while the Knicks get future assets.

Makes total sense.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:54 pm

Doesnt make sense from the Lakers side. They arent contending any time soon.

FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#72 » by FrozenIceCubes » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:59 pm

That is another way of looking at it.

But another scenario is that getting Melo would be a good attribute to attract FAs in the next few summers.

At this juncture Melo would bring that that's a good reason for the Lakers to roll the dice on it.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#73 » by camillepd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:05 am

Trading Melo at this point would be stupid for the Knicks.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#74 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 am

Pjax4Prez wrote:I guess I'm more confused by:

A) Why would the Lakers do this. Like seriously, Randle has yet to play a full NBA game, Russell (No. 2 pick) has yet to play his first mins

B) If they trade for Melo, they would have to give up players on big contracts, in turn making them a non-playoff team.

C) Lastly, and most importantly (IMO) if they Lakers really want to trade their young assets for a superstar, why not go for one that's better for the long term. For example, wait until Sacramento Kings implode again (then try and trade for DMC again), or maybe Paul George gets disgruntled in Indiana (Also grew up a Lakers fan). Maybe the reports that that Russell Westbrook really wants to go to LA are true. Or maybe the Lakers try throw their hat in the KD race and we know the Thunder will trade a player before they lose them in free agency.

Of course, if the Lakers make an offer of D-Lo and a handful of other things, you have to consider it, just don't see what they gain from it. Again, they play in the west.

Exactly. We have no idea if the Lakers even have the slightest interest in Melo at this point. It's at least very questionable they'd value him enough to give up Russell who they just took with the 2nd pick. It's noteworthy that someone like Dunleavy - who could potentially have some sources - would say this, but we've all already acknowledged the elephant in the room. I don't think there's anything to get buzzing about just yet. The Knicks are gonna go play some games and see where they stack up around Christmas time. By then, we'll know if Melo is staying or going, and if the Knicks have a chance to do something in FA in 2016. For now, the off-season is over with, and I believe Melo is locked in and ready to play.
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by Pjax4Prez » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 am

FrozenIceCubes wrote:That is another way of looking at it.

But another scenario is that getting Melo would be a good attribute to attract FAs in the next few summers.

At this juncture Melo would bring that that's a good reason for the Lakers to roll the dice on it.

You must have been asleep during our 2015 Free agency or not care too much for your teams future.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,131

Post#76 » by Capn'O » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 am

Aha! Ban him! And then everyone else.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:11 am

FrozenIceCubes wrote:That is another way of looking at it.

I do think this perception was thoroughly smashed this summer.

Deandre was interested in playing with an older Dirk and Parsons before he changed his mind. LMA literally picked Kawhi and a group that will be retired very shortly.

Melo is certain the better player but didnt attract anything. Our money couldnt either, although the majority of our newer players did recieve upgrades in pay.

FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#78 » by FrozenIceCubes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:17 am

Again.

It has nothing to do with Melo on why top tier FAs didn't come to the Knicks.

It's the fact that the Knicks couldn't convince them to come cause the Knicks are in rebuild mode.

Right now Melo is a better FA recruiter then Russell.. And the Lakers need to find a way to bring in a franchise talent in the next few years.
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by Pjax4Prez » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 am

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Again.

It has nothing to do with Melo on why top tier FAs didn't come to the Knicks.

It's the fact that the Knicks couldn't convince them to come cause the Knicks are in rebuild mode.

Right now Melo is a better FA recruiter then Russell.. And the Lakers need to find a way to bring in a franchise talent in the next few years.

May I ask why you believe the Knicks are rebuild mode (which may be entirely true) but the Lakers aren't?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 am

The Lakers are rebuilding as well.

Return to New York Knicks