ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Straight outta Compton Movie

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Re: OT: Straight outta Compton Movie 

Post#21 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 pm

NYKAL wrote:
iStudyTheGame wrote:NWA promoted too much violence and defiance. I might be reaching but this group might have been one of the causes to the effect of what is going on now days. Being a "NWA" and bumping "**** da police" will definitely put a target on your back.

they also signaled the end of fun hip hop, forcing it into a small hard to find niche. Meanwhile the labels stopped being interested in any afro-centric, non-violent or conscious content and seemed determined to flood the airwaves with the most violent, criminal and outright inhuman content they could find.

This is a false narrative. The NWA dropped their albums in 88 and 91; Cube's first three album (most people consider his best three myself included) run ended in 93. That's the same time period that De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and many Native Tongues rappers/groups were seeing big success. Fun hip hop ran parallel to gangsta rap for a good portion of it's early run. People like to pin NWA to the death of soulful and light rap, that's just not true. Just look at all of the Native Tongues rappers who thrived before, during and after NWA's generation of rappers.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#22 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:35 pm

NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
iStudyTheGame wrote:NWA promoted too much violence and defiance. I might be reaching but this group might have been one of the causes to the effect of what is going on now days. Being a "NWA" and bumping "**** da police" will definitely put a target on your back.

Are you serious?
Fuq the po-po was for a reason. Rodney King is real. Racial profilling is real. Always has been. Jim Crow was not that long ago.

They were part of the problem too like when Dre beat up Dee from rap city (how you gonna put hands on her..she was a tiny little thing) or they other crap they pulled, getting into brawls with each other in news studios and other stuff. They were on some real ignorant crap. Not saying they didn't put the/a spotlight on certain elements but, the definitely promoted ignorance too.

Of course they did. "Gansta" rap in itself is ignorant. I'm simply talking the police bashing element. Police get bashed for a reason.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#23 » by DrCoach » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 pm

greenhughes wrote:
DrCoach wrote:It was solid movie, I thought e casting for Snoop and Pacs character was Meh. For a 2 1/2 hr movie, I would have appreciated alittle for character insight

They made Snoop a dark skin dude...

Snoop is a dark skinned dude, but the actor playing him had no charisma like Snoop
Greenie
RealGM

Post#24 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:38 pm

DrCoach wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
DrCoach wrote:It was solid movie, I thought e casting for Snoop and Pacs character was Meh. For a 2 1/2 hr movie, I would have appreciated alittle for character insight

They made Snoop a dark skin dude...

Snoop is a dark skinned dude, but the actor playing him had no charisma like Snoop

Snoop ain't chocolate. More like coffee.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#25 » by E-Balla » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:45 pm

My mom said I need to go watch it at the movies so I'm thinking it's good.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#26 » by E-Balla » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:50 pm

j4remi wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

they also signaled the end of fun hip hop, forcing it into a small hard to find niche. Meanwhile the labels stopped being interested in any afro-centric, non-violent or conscious content and seemed determined to flood the airwaves with the most violent, criminal and outright inhuman content they could find.

This is a false narrative. The NWA dropped their albums in 88 and 91; Cube's first three album (most people consider his best three myself included) run ended in 93. That's the same time period that De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and many Native Tongues rappers/groups were seeing big success. Fun hip hop ran parallel to gangsta rap for a good portion of it's early run. People like to pin NWA to the death of soulful and light rap, that's just not true. Just look at all of the Native Tongues rappers who thrived before, during and after NWA's generation of rappers.

Honestly Biggie killed it with his mafioso talk. Love his music and I think you can easily still find great rap but Biggie changed the mainstream completely.

greenhughes wrote:

Are you serious?
Fuq the po-po was for a reason. Rodney King is real. Racial profiling is real. Always has been. Jim Crow was not that long ago.

Exactly like police weren't targetting us way before NWA came out. I guess W.E.B. Dubois just needed to hop in a time machine and get Cube and them to stop.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#27 » by NYKAL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:00 pm

greenhughes wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:Are you serious?
Fuq the po-po was for a reason. Rodney King is real. Racial profilling is real. Always has been. Jim Crow was not that long ago.

They were part of the problem too like when Dre beat up Dee from rap city (how you gonna put hands on her..she was a tiny little thing) or they other crap they pulled, getting into brawls with each other in news studios and other stuff. They were on some real ignorant crap. Not saying they didn't put the/a spotlight on certain elements but, the definitely promoted ignorance too.

Of course they did. "Gansta" rap in itself is ignorant. I'm simply talking the police bashing element. Police get bashed for a reason.

I totally agree with your point which, is why I admitted that they did pot a spotlight on social issues that the mainstream were unaware of. They definitely were relevant but, I don't think people should put the activist label on them. Cube's Death Certificate deserves that nod but, NWA as a whole, I thought they were just rapping about the things they knew and saw like the so called drug dealing rappers claim.

I still got issues with Dre over beating up little Dee. If an NBA players got caught beating up a women or any sports figures (which we have discussed here), they would be destroyed but, I don't see anyone having issues with Dre.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#28 » by NYKAL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Greenie
RealGM

Post#29 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:29 pm

NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

I totally agree with your point which, is why I admitted that they did pot a spotlight on social issues that the mainstream were unaware of. They definitely were relevant but, I don't think people should put the activist label on them. Cube's Death Certificate deserves that nod but, NWA as a whole, I thought they were just rapping about the things they knew and saw like the so called drug dealing rappers claim.

I still got issues with Dre over beating up little Dee. If an NBA players got caught beating up a women or any sports figures (which we have discussed here), they would be destroyed but, I don't see anyone having issues with Dre.

No issues here. I agree. I'm a tad young to remember NWA and I was never on that west coast vibe. Dre is not someone I follow. Who is this Dee person? Yes, he should answer for his crap.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#30 » by NYKAL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:33 pm

greenhughes wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:Of course they did. "Gansta" rap in itself is ignorant. I'm simply talking the police bashing element. Police get bashed for a reason.

No issues here. I agree. I'm a tad young to remember NWA and I was never on that west coast vibe. Dre is not someone I follow. Who is this Dee person? Yes, he should answer for his crap.

She was the host of BET's Rap city back in the when Joe Claire was there to. NWA was there being interviewed and Dee asked him a question he didn't like. Forget what it was but, I don't remember it being disrespectful or anything. He beat the breaks off her right there on set, putting her in the hospital. It was pretty bad.

There was another incident after Cube left. He was being interviewed by one of the rap mags and Ren and a few of the remaining members showed up and they tore up entire floor of the hotel they were at. There quite a few incidents.

edit: brother just told me the beating wasn't on set...my bad.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#31 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:47 pm

NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

She was the host of BET's Rap city back in the when Joe Claire was there to. NWA was there being interviewed and Dee asked him a question he didn't like. Forget what it was but, I don't remember it being disrespectful or anything. He beat the breaks off her right there on set, putting her in the hospital. It was pretty bad.

There was another incident after Cube left. He was being interviewed by one of the rap mags and Ren and a few of the remaining members showed up and they tore up entire floor of the hotel they were at. There quite a few incidents.

Well damn
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#32 » by kane2021 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:59 pm

NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

She was a rapper and radio host for pump it up. She did a interview with ice cube after he left nwa. Dre felt she made nwa look bad.

Dre ran into her at a party and beat her up pretty good. Actually pretty bad. From what people had said back then she got it worse than some men. Apparently it lasted a few minutes and everytime she tried to get away dre would grab her by her hair and continue beating her. Supposedly he beat her across the building and tried to throw her down a flight of stairs. But couldnt so he stopped her head out.

Dre has a history of beating women. And no history of being a gangster. He also didnt produce most of his hits. And never wrote any of his rhymes. Dre is a homo and a fraud who had been taking advantage of young producers and writers to make a name for himself.

As a matter of fact I strongly suspect dre is donating the money from the sound track to avoid legal action being taken against him for using material that is no longer aftermaths.

I dont support this movie.

I will say this. NWA gave young defiant people of all colors an anthem. I know people who used to have the tape ready. In their house, in their car, set are ready on song number 2. So when ever there was an interaction with the police, it was ready to be played.

Dre's music career is over. Been over. Cube has moved on. Eazy been dead. Ren and Yella didnt do nothing after the group. Ren had 2 solo albums that I remember. One being a maxi tape. But it didnt do nothing.

IMO there is only one reason to do this movie.

"f*** the police coming straight from the under ground"
"a young n**** got it bad because im brown"
"and not the other color so police think"
"they have the authority to kill a minority"

To exploit and profit off of rising racial tensions in the country and the increased awareness and anger towards police brutality. Regardless if its resisting arrest,... or the persons race.

I dont support **** like this. Its one thing to raise awareness but thats not what this is about. This is about making money off of other peoples pain and problems and riling people up to make a buck.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#33 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:11 pm

kane2021 wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:No issues here. I agree. I'm a tad young to remember NWA and I was never on that west coast vibe. Dre is not someone I follow. Who is this Dee person? Yes, he should answer for his crap.

She was a rapper and radio host for pump it up. She did a interview with ice cube after he left nwa. Dre felt she made nwa look bad.

Dre ran into her at a party and beat her up pretty good. Actually pretty bad. From what people had said back then she got it worse than some men. Apparently it lasted a few minutes and everytime she tried to get away dre would grab her by her hair and continue beating her. Supposedly he beat her across the building and tried to throw her down a flight of stairs. But couldnt so he stopped her head out.

Dre has a history of beating women. And no history of being a gangster. He also didnt produce most of his hits. And never wrote any of his rhymes. Dre is a homo and a fraud who had been taking advantage of young producers and writers to make a name for himself.

As a matter of fact I strongly suspect dre is donating the money from the sound track to avoid legal action being taken against him for using material that is no longer aftermaths.

I will say this. NWA gave young defiant people of all colors an anthem. I know people who used to have the tape ready. In their house, in their car, set are ready on song number 2. So when ever there was an interaction with the police, it was ready to be played.

Dre's music career is over. Been over. Cube has moved on. Eazy been dead. Ren and Yella didnt do nothing after the group. Ren had 2 solo albums that I remember. One being a maxi tape. But it didnt do nothing.

To exploit and profit off of rising racial tensions in the country and the increased awareness and anger towards police brutality. Regardless if its resisting arrest,... or the persons race.

I dont support **** like this. Its one thing to raise awareness but thats not what this is about. This is about making money off of other peoples pain and problems and riling people up to make a buck.

:oops:
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#34 » by NYKAL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:12 pm

greenhughes wrote:
kane2021 wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

went from bad to worse didn't it :)
Greenie
RealGM

Post#35 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:27 pm

NYKAL wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
kane2021 wrote:She was a rapper and radio host for pump it up. She did a interview with ice cube after he left nwa. Dre felt she made nwa look bad.

went from bad to worse didn't it :)

Yeah
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#36 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Dre was a dirtbag. But this movie was really clearly a passion project. You don't make a 2 and half hour R-rated music biopic as a cash grab, especially not on a 30 million dollar budget. The director has worked with Cube and Dre for a long time, one of the writers is working on a Fugees script next and a number of the production team have some hip hop roots in their past work. I think Cube saw the opening to plead his case against the people who really bury NWA for the music content and wanted to give NWA's side of the story. I can see being upset that they got to tell the story in a one-sided manner but a cash grab? Nah, there's no such thing as an R-rated cash grab these days; especially not a 2 and a half hour summer released biopic, those are all the things producers avoid.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#37 » by kane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 pm

so many movies out i still need to see ugh! the reviews are great for this and looks very interesting
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#38 » by kane2021 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:08 pm

j4remi wrote:Dre was a dirtbag. But this movie was really clearly a passion project. You don't make a 2 and half hour R-rated music biopic as a cash grab, especially not on a 30 million dollar budget. The director has worked with Cube and Dre for a long time, one of the writers is working on a Fugees script next and a number of the production team have some hip hop roots in their past work. I think Cube saw the opening to plead his case against the people who really bury NWA for the music content and wanted to give NWA's side of the story. I can see being upset that they got to tell the story in a one-sided manner but a cash grab? Nah, there's no such thing as an R-rated cash grab these days; especially not a 2 and a half hour summer released biopic, those are all the things producers avoid.

Think about this for a second

Big time music videos cost around 2.5 million dollars. Your average budget for a artist your trying to push is around 500k. For someone who is established, and dropping whats supposed to be a hit song to push major record sales, your average video is running 1 million dollars. For example many of Kanyes music videos run between 1 million and 1.5 million.

So lets take 1 million as the average cost for a major video on a hit single.

Video run time is around what? 4-5 minutes. Lets say 5.

2 and a half hours is 150 minutes. (thats this movies runtime right)

5 goes into 150,..... 30 times!

So how much would it cost to get a hit music video director,... to make a 150 minute major motion picture?

30 million dollars.

:P

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#39 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:13 pm

kane2021 wrote:
j4remi wrote:Dre was a dirtbag. But this movie was really clearly a passion project. You don't make a 2 and half hour R-rated music biopic as a cash grab, especially not on a 30 million dollar budget. The director has worked with Cube and Dre for a long time, one of the writers is working on a Fugees script next and a number of the production team have some hip hop roots in their past work. I think Cube saw the opening to plead his case against the people who really bury NWA for the music content and wanted to give NWA's side of the story. I can see being upset that they got to tell the story in a one-sided manner but a cash grab? Nah, there's no such thing as an R-rated cash grab these days; especially not a 2 and a half hour summer released biopic, those are all the things producers avoid.

Think about this for a second

Big time music videos cost around 2.5 million dollars. Your average budget for a artist your trying to push is around 500k. For someone who is established, and dropping whats supposed to be a hit song to push major record sales, your average video is running 1 million dollars. For example many of Kanyes music videos run between 1 million and 1.5 million.

So lets take 1 million as the average cost for a major video on a hit single.

Video run time is around what? 4-5 minutes. Lets say 5.

2 and a half hours is 150 minutes. (thats this movies runtime right)

5 goes into 150,..... 30 times!

So how much would it cost to get a hit music video director,... to make a 150 minute major motion picture?

30 million dollars.

:P

:lol: That's my 100% theory for Friday's origin. Cube and Gray are definitely nice on the hustle tip.

True story though, after watching the Aaliyah biopic (don't judge me, I was in love with her in my teens)...this is like some best movie award value ish. I've never had lower expectations for the Hollywood than I did after that.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#40 » by koogiking » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:15 pm