ImageImageImageImageImage

Rambis a logical choice to mentor Porzingis

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,071

Re: Rambis a logical choice to mentor Porzingis 

Post#41 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:05 am

Yao had a very fundamentally advanced game before he even got to the NBA and Howard still doesn't have one... so how much did Ewing really help them?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#42 » by Phish Tank » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:25 am

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Honestly why not Pippen? That is the level Porz should be aiming for defensively.

He's working for the Bulls in some aspect

Sent from the mind of world peace
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#43 » by GYK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:39 am

why not Fox/Shaw/Harper/Grant/Vlad/George/Lue//Walton(who will go on to be great coach one day)/Cartwright/Wennington/Perdue/King/Paxson
role players who can teach how the system work
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#44 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:So Ewing didn't help in developing Yao and D12 now? Sure thing

All three are complete opposites though. Ewing at best worked with those guys from a mental aspect, his actual game transferred to neither of them. Maybe small pieces, like I'd say Dwight has a variation of Ewing's drop step and Yao may have increased his range due to Ewing. but overall Ewing might be the example of the great that isnt a good example to show they can't step into coaching.

Now there is one thing Ewing could help Kri6 at...rebounding. Ewing had a great knack of being to use his long arms to keep opponents away from the ball and secured his own space on the floor very well. Sometimes Ewing actually extended his arms into a straight horizon just to keep players away, then within split moments reach up with one hand to cup the ball and bring it down with both. Kri6 boxes out well but doesnt have the space. That technique could garner Kri6 3 rebounds with ease.

Not fair to use Dwight as an example of what he may have picked up from coaches, because he may the "superstar" who is at the top of "never added that much to his game" list.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#45 » by dakomish23 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am

Thugger HBC wrote:

All three are complete opposites though. Ewing at best worked with those guys from a mental aspect, his actual game transferred to neither of them. Maybe small pieces, like I'd say Dwight has a variation of Ewing's drop step and Yao may have increased his range due to Ewing. but overall Ewing might be the example of the great that isnt a good example to show they can't step into coaching.

Now there is one thing Ewing could help Kri6 at...rebounding. Ewing had a great knack of being to use his long arms to keep opponents away from the ball and secured his own space on the floor very well. Sometimes Ewing actually extended his arms into a straight horizon just to keep players away, then within split moments reach up with one hand to cup the ball and bring it down with both. Kri6 boxes out well but doesnt have the space. That technique could garner Kri6 3 rebounds with ease.

I merely said developing. I don't think the lack of them mirroring his game lessens the impact he had on their game. It could be defensive anticipation or awareness, how to fight for post position etc.

All I know is that both are on record as saying that Ewing helped in their development.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#46 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:55 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

I merely said developing. I don't think the lack of them mirroring his game lessens the impact he had on their game. It could be defensive anticipation or awareness, how to fight for post position etc.

All I know is that both are on record as saying that Ewing helped in their development.

Then we're back to the fact that Ewing has a better job now, and I doubt he's leaving to go back to being a big man coach
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,257

Post#47 » by Knicks Byke » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:47 pm

reading some of these comments really has me questioning the age of some of yall
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#48 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

Not being funny, but would they actually say the contrary? Kinda lazy to look up videos of Yao, but here's an actual one featuring Ewing and Dwight....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7xxLCilizs[/youtube]
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#49 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:08 am

Thorn wrote:I can't knock a 4 time NBA champion... especially not a guy who was known for being a solid defender and rebounder... that was never afraid to mix it up or dive for lose balls.

Those who did can't necessarily teach what they did.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#50 » by Thorn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
Thorn wrote:I can't knock a 4 time NBA champion... especially not a guy who was known for being a solid defender and rebounder... that was never afraid to mix it up or dive for lose balls.

Those who did can't necessarily teach what they did.

Very much true, as in many cases that is a fact that has played out time and time again. In the case of Kurt Rambis I do not think he has what it takes to be a head coach, but in terms of mentoring a young big on the NBA and what he did to be successful I have no concerns.

I think has proven to be a valuable member of a coaching staff as long as that is not the "Head Coach", but hey that could just be the spots he landed in I guess... I feel fairly strongly however he can serve as a big man's coach.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#51 » by Workforce250 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Knicks Bycke wrote:reading some of these comments really has me questioning the age of some of yall

:lol:
Me too.

I read some of these posts and I envision this kid on the other side of the keyboard:

Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#52 » by Workforce250 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Workforce250 wrote:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
The Lamma wrote:Image

Rambis always reminded me of these guys, the Hanson brothers from the movie Slapshot. He looked like a Hanson brother. Played like a Hanson brother.

Perfect comparison. .lol

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#53 » by BKlutch » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:21 pm

That old B&W photo of Rambis makes him look like a spiritual kin of Phil. He was a good pro. And remember, most of the best teachers never did what they teach (OK, Hakeem is a big exception.)

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks