ImageImageImageImageImage

Good read on Kyle O'Quinn

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Good read on Kyle O'Quinn 

Post#1 » by malik959 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:14 am

I was looking around for videos and articles on Kyle and came up with this in reference to his play and chemistry with many of his teammates:

http://www.ballermindframe.com/2014/04/14/orlandos-diamond-rough-kyle-oquinn/
As his second season in the NBA winds down, Orlando Magic big man Kyle O’Quinn has shown that he belongs in the league for the foreseeable future with his strong play and improvement. O’Quinn, a second-round pick out of Norfolk State, was up and down in the beginning of the year, struggling to find playing time for much of the first two months. His big break came during a thrilling triple-overtime loss to the Chicago Bulls. In that contest, O’Quinn logged a then season-high 24 minutes, finishing with 12 points, 7 rebounds, and three blocks in the loss. Since then, O’Quinn has been a key member to the rotation that head coach Jacque Vaughn has rolled with. So, what has been the key for the Norfolk State grad’s increase in playing time?

Simply put, consistency and continued growth. After a recent win against the Brooklyn Nets, a game in which O’Quinn had a game-saving block, coach Vaughn gushed about his big man. “It really just shows how he’s getting better on a daily basis. He was locked into the possession, he knew what we were doing defensively, he gets a block without fouling and this was after we ran a play on the other end; Arron (Afflalo) throws him a pass, short corner shot misses. Playing forward, not letting that next possession affect him. That’s tremendous. That’s what we want to see.”

This isn’t the only time Vaughn or a teammate has raved about O’Quinn’s improvement and ability to make “the right play.” In the same game, O’Quinn made a key pass to a hard cutting Maurice Harkless, who finished with a big dunk that all but sealed the contest for the hosting Magic. It’s the small things that O’Quinn does, whether it be making the right pass, blocking a shot, or getting a timely rebound, that have shined as the season wears on.

After being inserted in the starting lineup some 16 games ago, O’Quinn has seen his numbers improve drastically. In 16 starts, the 6’10” big is averaging 9.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks. He’s added something that the Magic have desperately missed the last two seasons: a true inside shot blocking presence. According to NBA.com’s SportsVU stats, O’Quinn ranks seventh among players who have more than 60 blocks on the season in opponent field goal percentage at the rim, allowing foes to shoot just 45.5 percent in those situations. That ranking puts him ahead of the likes of Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, David West, and Anthony Davis, just to name a few.

Not only has O’Quinn improved and been a force on the defensive end, he’s shown off some stout passing skills on offense. While his assist numbers may not be high, averaging just 1.1 dimes per game, he’s shown he knows when to make the right pass at the right time. He’s able to play and pass well out of both the high and low posts, and has an uncanny ability to hit cutters perfectly with brilliantly timed bounce and chest passes.

O’Quinn’s versatility also gives coach Vaughn a nice piece moving forward. He’s been able to see how O’Quinn responds to playing the power forward spot along side center Nikola Vucevic, while also seeing how the second year man plays in a reserve role at center, amongst other things. O’Quinn has good chemistry with many of his teammates both on and off the court, which adds to his consistent play this season.

Seemingly always in good spirits, O’Quinn is not one to shy away from messing with teammates in the locker room as well. One of his most notable moments this season was his joking about how teammate Tobias Harris believes he’s one of the team’s best dressed, but is “always wearing NBA socks no matter the outfit.” Not only did his teammates get a good laugh out of it, but the media did too, enjoying the upbeat O’Quinn’s hot takes on teammates fashion styles, a role veteran point guard Jameer Nelson usually takes.

For a young and growing Magic team, O’Quinn’s play and improvement is important, but so is his positive attitude in the locker room. This Magic team is young and as is the case with many young, rebuilding teams, they suffer through tough stretches and lose a lot of games. Having a guy like O’Quinn who can keep the attitude up is an underlooked element that is missing from many rebuilding teams. He’s got all the things that any team would like to have, and it’s easy to see why general manager Rob Hennigan selected the fun loving big man in the 2012 draft.

While O’Quinn might not be the biggest name on the team, he’s shown this season that he’s taken one of the biggest steps of the stable of young guns on the Magic’s roster. He’s been a pleasant surprise, and will undoubtedly continue to grow both as a player, and a personality on the rebuilding Magic.

By Zach Oliver on April 14, 2014
knicknack
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Re: Good read on Kyle O'Quinn 

Post#2 » by knicknack » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:10 am

I look forward to him being an integral part of our team. He will certainly be an asset and contend for a permanent role in the starting line up.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#3 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:13 pm

This is a good guy (strong decent character) who has a good BBIQ. He also has the physical talents to play. Put that together with further development and placing him in the right role, and he's going to be a big factor in winning games for us. We're going to enjoy watching him.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Knicks are taking a page out of the Detroit Pistons who used to draft/sign hustle guys.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#5 » by DrCoach » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Hope he can be our Charles Oakley as his upside
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,080

Post#6 » by stuporman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Oak? Pfft.... to try and compare him to an iconic Knick is hard enough but at least pick one that has somewhat of a similar game. Horrible comp.

That being said I think KO will turn out to be a brilliant signing for Jackson, the guy is ready to blossom as a player, he's also a perfect fit for the triangle.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#7 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Most of us don't see him as being a major player, and he's almost an afterthought in many of our discussions. I see KOQ is being highly underrated by most people. I'm actually surprised he was traded to us for "the right to swap 2nd round picks in 2019." That means in 4 years, we may or may not have to trade second round picks - we essentially traded for him for free.

He is going to be a great team-oriented player with incredible hustle. He's the kind of guy who can contribute a lot, and even more over time, either with a lot of minutes off the bench or possibly a starter at times. He can back up RoLo at center or play the 4. I've seen his off court videos, too. He's really a good guy, smart, and comes from a good family. He will help hold the team together instead of malingering and making them discouraged, that you know who.

The bottom line is he comes from only a few blocks from where I live, so he's got to be great!

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#8 » by siar617 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:49 pm

stuporman wrote:Oak? Pfft.... to try and compare him to an iconic Knick is hard enough but at least pick one that has somewhat of a similar game. Horrible comp.

That being said I think KO will turn out to be a brilliant signing for Jackson, the guy is ready to blossom as a player, he's also a perfect fit for the triangle.

you might be thinking of their character but in playing style they are very similar. Good passers nice shot , defensive players who rebound well and play a glue role
malik959
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by malik959 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 pm

stuporman wrote:Oak? Pfft.... to try and compare him to an iconic Knick is hard enough but at least pick one that has somewhat of a similar game. Horrible comp.

Kurt Thomas is more like it and his game pretty much resembles him. Nothing flashy, just a solid all around game. Nothing spectacularjust hard nosed play day in and day out.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#10 » by stuporman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:25 pm

siar617 wrote:

you might be thinking of their character but in playing style they are very similar. Good passers nice shot , defensive players who rebound well and play a glue role

Glue guys, sure, that may be their most common trait but it's not enough to make a comparison like that. I'm not a fan of comps to begin with but that one was just a reach.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#11 » by stuporman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:28 pm

malik959 wrote:

Kurt Thomas is more like it and his game pretty much resembles him. Nothing flashy, just a solid all around game. Nothing spectacularjust hard nosed play day in and day out.

That is a much better comp if I were into that sort of thing, there's definitely more similarity in skill set between those two. I like it.

If he has those crazy eyes that keeps people from coming into the lane that's even better. :lol:
Image?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#12 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Does he start at PF or come off the bench as our back-up C/PF?
Free Palestine
stuporman
RealGM

Post#13 » by stuporman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:02 pm

I think KO earns the starting spot at PF to begin the season. KP isn't quite ready to put that many minutes in with the adjustment to the league, as a rook and the long NBA season. The pressure on him will be easier off the bench because if he were to start right away and then have to go to the bench there will be such a mess of "benched!" media and fan fury it would be something nobody wants to deal with.

Seraphin is really the back up center so to use him as starting PF would mess with the rotation and Spider Boy isn't a complete enough of a player to be a starter. I also don't see Fish wanting to start Melo as a PF but will allow for small ball line ups to have him there but not to start with.

KO is the most likely player to start at PF to begin the season. I would want KP as any fan would love to see him be ready and take it right away but it's reasonable to figure he won't be.
Image?
malik959
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by malik959 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:33 pm

I believe Kyle earns the starting spot why KP6 battles for it. This is the type of competition I like to have.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#15 » by DE FENSE » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:38 pm

I forgot Kyle and Afflalo played together on Orlando. Thanks for posting.
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#16 » by Bklyn&company » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:04 pm

IMO... I see O'Quinn starting at PF... KP is still young, but will grow as the season goes along and DWill is definitely not out hustle or out playing O'Quinn... IF O'Quinn is getting 32+ min a game he is going to avg close to a double double.. 11ppg 9 rbpg?? 1.5 blkpg?
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#17 » by DrCoach » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Is it's? He's bigger than Oakley and more of the Venter version of him

Tough, rebounder, enforcer, reportedly has range on jumper

His PER is better than Oakley, his FG% is better and he is a solid FT shooter for a big and reportedly a solid passer
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#18 » by DrCoach » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:30 pm

siar617 wrote:

Thank you!
stuporman
RealGM

Post#19 » by stuporman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm

DrCoach wrote:

Is it's? He's bigger than Oakley and more of the Venter version of him

Tough, rebounder, enforcer, reportedly has range on jumper

His PER is better than Oakley, his FG% is better and he is a solid FT shooter for a big and reportedly a solid passer

It is.... I know you may not have really seen much of KO play and are going off stats to make the comp but once you get to see him play you will see the difference which is clear to those of us who watched them both play. The KT comp is a better one if someone were going to make any.
Image?
malik959
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by malik959 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:04 am

Yeah I don't see Oak at all, teams feared playing the Knicks because of Oak, Ewing and Mason. They made players like Starks look tougher than they really were and when you didn't play with intensity or play smart he made you feel it. I like Kyle, but only wish he had half the heart that Oak had. If he ever became like Oak than Playoffs wouldn't even be in the question. As of now he's more like KT, that borderline starter that feels a need, can play defense not be a defensive stopper, has an outside shot but he's not deadly, and plays smart. I'm happy we got him, but Oakly he is not.

Return to New York Knicks