ImageImageImageImageImage

Way Too Early 2016 FA/Trade Idea Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Re: Way Too Early 2016 FA/Trade Idea Thread 

Post#541 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Go after Whiteside to officially lock up our frontcourt for the next 5 years, and then look to get a PG in 2017 FA when there will be a ton of them available. Whiteside is too good to pass up.

I like Batum, but it's his contract year and he's never played like this before so I'm starting to get a little wary of him.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#542 » by The_Special_One » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:48 pm

lol I passed on Whiteside in my fantasy because I thought he was a one year wonder.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#543 » by sportscrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm

In the preserve the cap space until 2017 plan if we missed out on all the big targets then would this make sense?

Re-sign Langston Galloway and Arron Afflalo both to market value (notice I said market value, not actual value so it will be higher than expected) 4 year deals.

Re-sign Cleanthony Early to a slightly overpaid 2 year deal with a Team Option after the first year.

Sign Kent Bazemore to a 4 year deal for market value and Gerald Henderson to a 2 year deal with a player option (if underpaid versus the market) or a 2 year with a team option (if overpaid versus the market)

Then use the remaining cap space to sign Pau Gasol an overpaid 1 year deal.

In 2017, we would have a ton of cap space again plus a decent team in the meantime during the 2016-17 Season.

C-Robin Lopez/Kyle O'Quinn/Guillermo Hernangomez
PF-Kristaps Porzingis/Pau Gasol
SF-Carmelo Anthony/Kent Bazemore
SG-Arron Afflalo/Gerald Henderson
PG-Langston Galloway/Jerian Grant/Jose Calderon
IR: Cleanthony Early, Lou Amundson, Lance Thomas
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#544 » by moocow007 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:07 pm

FA could become very interesting.

The Knicks need to accomplish 3 things for the summer of 2016 to be very interesting:

1. Prove that they can win. I would say a 45+ win mark would be proof.
2. Carmelo Anthony needs to stay healthy and show that he's still vintage Anthony.
3. Porzingis needs to show be in the running for ROY to the end (even if he loses to Towns).

Do that and the following will be applicable:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcQKz3H0yY[/youtube]
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#545 » by sportscrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:FA could become very interesting.

The Knicks need to accomplish 3 things for the summer of 2016 to be very interesting:

1. Prove that they can win. I would say a 45+ win mark would be proof.
2. Carmelo Anthony needs to stay healthy and show that he's still vintage Anthony.
3. Porzingis needs to show be in the running for ROY to the end (even if he loses to Towns).

Do that and the following will be applicable:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcQKz3H0yY[/youtube]

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/projecting-2015-2016-max-salary-tiers/

Kevin Durant reaches that third MAX salary tier if he just waits to become a free agent next summer and that tier's MAX goes up with the $20 Million salary cap increase from 2016 to 2017. Now, he can do that with every team, yeah, but he most likely I see him doing it with OKC to give Billy Donovan two full years as a pro head coach before making a decision. That, and Russell Westbrook's 2017 free agency has such an impact on his own decision that he probably would prefer to wait the year, make a way higher MAX salary and get a better grasp on whether Westbrook will be in OKC or not going forward.

The most likely scenario is both him and LeBron sign two year contracts with 1 year player opt outs this summer.

That being said, the Knicks will already be better next season even if they do nothing because of the progressions of Porzingis and Grant. I think if Durant and LeBron opt to become free agents in an already stacked 2017 free agent class, we're better off building a team that could finish any where from 5th Overall to 11th Overall in the East depending on how the season breaks for us in 2016-17 then going into 2017 with a crazy level of a cap space, sign TWO major stars and have the first ever Big 4 of a third year Porzingis, an aging, but still effective as the third or fourth option Carmelo Anthony and two MAX free agents in the 2017-18 season.

We didn't get to the point of being terrible overnight (we sat through TERRIBLE regimes twice in a row between Layden and Isaiah) and we won't get to the point of being a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team overnight, either. I'm not disagreeing with you, just agreeing and saying we should wait for big things in 2017 instead.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#546 » by Fat » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Batum? DurANT? Whiteside? COnley? stop setting yourselves up for disappointment lol
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#547 » by sportscrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:Batum? DurANT? Whiteside? COnley? stop setting yourselves up for disappointment lol

I agree, Durant likely signs the 1 + 1 contract I have describe in this post previously with OKC.

Conley seems to like it in Memphis and they seem willing to offer him the 5th year MAX to keep him so I see him re-signing with Memphis on a MAX salary 5 year contract.

Whiteside I see Riley dumping Wade to create the space for Whiteside and not the other way around.

Batum is a player I don't see us getting by our own choice, some team will MAX out or close to it on Batum after whiffing on Durant and in this crazy overpaid every year instant gratification NBA world we live in that seems like a definite (I see the Wizards being the team for this).

IMO Phil Jackson will be more patient, let other teams overpay for B-Level and even C-Level players and wait until 2017 to pay MAX salaries to A-Level free agents.
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#548 » by 2010 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:25 pm

People keep talking like Riley controls Whiteside's destiny, when in fact, Whiteside controls Whiteside's destiny. He is unrestricted. He will go wherever he feels is best for him and his family. Hopefully, that is to NY.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#549 » by sportscrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:36 pm

2010 wrote:People keep talking like Riley controls Whiteside's destiny, when in fact, Whiteside controls Whiteside's destiny. He is unrestricted. He will go wherever he feels is best for him and his family. Hopefully, that is to NY.

Yeah that is 100% accurate. I just think if the money is even plus the lifestyle, weather and tax advantage of Florida plus you have a defined starting role whereas you were a journey man in pretty much every prior system you played in, you take the even money to stay in Miami. That's pure opinion, though, so who knows?
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#550 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:02 pm

2010 wrote:People keep talking like Riley controls Whiteside's destiny, when in fact, Whiteside controls Whiteside's destiny. He is unrestricted. He will go wherever he feels is best for him and his family. Hopefully, that is to NY.

Exactly...we actually have a chance. It's all up to Whiteside. Deandre said that Phil and the Knicks really impressed him during their meeting, so I'm pretty confident in our ability to recruit a big man. I'm hoping that Riley goes chasing waterfalls trying to recruit Durant giving us the opportunity to hit Whiteside with a max offer and get him to commit quickly. Free agency is officially dream selling season, and Phil needs to sell Whiteside on the dream of forming a filthy frontcourt with KP and bringing a championship to NYC.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#551 » by reub » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

What about Bazemore and Lin on the cheap and saying goodbye to Sasha? Or Kobe?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#552 » by reub » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

As was stated remember that Whiteside makes a LOT more in Florida than in NY because of taxes. I wonder how many free agents we've lost just because of that over the years?
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#553 » by CrazyKnicks » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:16 am

Since we are in dire need of a pg, why don't we try Jennings?

He expires this year so we can test him out this season. Detroit doesn't seem to need him, and his role with them will be strictly off the bench. Calderon, 2nd rounder and/or that bum SF we have that was a rookie last yr. I seriously can't remember his name, nor do I care to look it up.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#554 » by Fat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 am

Tell me this why would Whiteside want to leave his gig in Miami to come to new york and share minutes at center with Lopez when he can get all the minutes and playing time he wants in Miami.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Vincent_Askew
Banned User
And1: 247

Post#555 » by Vincent_Askew » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:44 am

I am sick of these pathetic suggestions for mediocre filth. No more marginal players for the sake of signing someone new. If the player doesn't move the needle, don't waste any money on them.

Obviously we need perimeter studs but I don't think we get KD, Beal will get matched by Wiz, and Conley is showing signs of slowing down & will be 29 next year so I do not want to pay him what he will command.

The one young up and coming semi-stud we CAN have a shot at is Barnes from GS, so I say throw a big offer at him and hopefully he signs this summer and then next summer we get our stud guard.

So by2017 we'll have a 3rd year KP, Barnes, a stud guard FA from 2017 FA class and a (hopefully) gracefully aging Melo.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#556 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:Tell me this why would Whiteside want to leave his gig in Miami to come to new york and share minutes at center with Lopez when he can get all the minutes and playing time he wants in Miami.

Lopez would get traded with the quickness. If we get Whiteside then it's dueces to Lopez
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#557 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:51 am

Can some of y'all please stop naming Kobe as a possible option in free agency? That joke isn't funny
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#558 » by BugginOut » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 am

Vincent_Askew wrote:I am sick of these pathetic suggestions for mediocre filth. No more marginal players for the sake of signing someone new. If the player doesn't move the needle, don't waste any money on them.

Obviously we need perimeter studs but I don't think we get KD, Beal will get matched by Wiz, and Conley is showing signs of slowing down & will be 29 next year so I do not want to pay him what he will command.

The one young up and coming semi-stud we CAN have a shot at is Barnes from GS, so I say throw a big offer at him and hopefully he signs this summer and then next summer we get our stud guard.

So by2017 we'll have a 3rd year KP, Barnes, a stud guard FA from 2017 FA class and a (hopefully) gracefully aging Melo.

How are you going to say no more marginal players and then suggest Harrison "average" Barnes? What has Barnes shown to believe he can be a 2nd or 3rd option? Right now he is like the 5th or 6th option on GSW. Plus we would probably have to pay him near max.

Do not throw money at Barnes

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#559 » by reub » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:26 am

Bazemore is good. And he might go cheap.
Concrete Jungle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,084

Post#560 » by Concrete Jungle » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:41 am

G PJ Hairston- A big SG who Phil liked during the draft process in 2014. Defends, can score and seems to have his head on straight.

He's my target for our Shooting Guard spot.
:banghead:

Return to New York Knicks