ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2015-2016 Knicks Training Camp | Preseason

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Official 2015-2016 Knicks Training Camp 

Post#881 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:28 pm

KRIST does not have the lateral quickness to guard most SFs. Some (aka, the ones who don't try to take guys off dribble)? Sure. But that's about it. He's quick (very quick for a PF), but there's a difference between being quick for a PF and being quick enough to guard SFs.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,510

Post#882 » by Iron Mantis » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:29 pm

ctorres wrote:So with everyone hyping Grant now, what are the odds that he wins a starting role above both Calderon and Galloway?

Maybe this ends up being our starting lineup:

PG - Jerian Grant
SG - Arron Afflalo
SF - Carmelo Anthony
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Robin Lopez

:nod:<--Jack Nicholson head nod gif(was too lazy to get the real one)
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,308

Post#883 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:37 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:KRIST does not have the lateral quickness to guard most SFs. Some (aka, the ones who don't try to take guys off dribble)? Sure. But that's about it. He's quick (very quick for a PF), but there's a difference between being quick for a PF and being quick enough to guard SFs.

So you basically see him defending PF's?

You're right that many SF's would be too quick.

One thing is for sure, as long as KP is within 8 feet of the rim his length will naturally intimidate penetrators. The question I have is does he basically provide weakside defense from a defensive forward position to complement Lopez or another C who anchors the defense in the paint?

I'm mostly thinking in evolutionary terms, because it seems he is going to be plenty strong to play the C position before long and a guy that tall and athletic can be a game-changer for our offense more so if he is in the middle than off to the side.

Just thinking about where he can be most useful now, though I hope later he is our C. Unless he turns out to be a freakier version of Dirk and should just be a F forever.
ImageImageImage
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#884 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:43 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:KRIST does not have the lateral quickness to guard most SFs. Some (aka, the ones who don't try to take guys off dribble)? Sure. But that's about it. He's quick (very quick for a PF), but there's a difference between being quick for a PF and being quick enough to guard SFs.

So you basically see him defending PF's?

You're right that many SF's would be too quick.

One thing is for sure, as long as KP is within 8 feet of the rim his length will naturally intimidate penetrators. The question I have is does he basically provide weakside defense from a defensive forward position to complement Lopez or another C who anchors the defense in the paint?

I'm mostly thinking in evolutionary terms, because it seems he is going to be plenty strong to play the C position before long and a guy that tall and athletic can be a game-changer for our offense more so if he is in the middle than off to the side.

Just thinking about where he can be most useful now, though I hope later he is our C. Unless he turns out to be a freakier version of Dirk and should just be a F forever.

Yeah - basically only PFs, unless they have a shooter camping out in the corner. Then we can do what the Pacers did to us with Shump / David West.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,481

Post#885 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:06 pm

DaGawd wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:anybody watching the game on msg? hows dragan bender?

It's not on msg?

oh i thought it was
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#886 » by ctorres » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:10 pm

j4remi wrote:
ctorres wrote:So with everyone hyping Grant now, what are the odds that he wins a starting role above both Calderon and Galloway?

PG - Jerian Grant
SG - Arron Afflalo
SF - Carmelo Anthony
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Robin Lopez

I think they're gonna give Calderon every opportunity to keep the starting spot so that they can bring along Grant at their speed (and maybe sell Calderon at the deadline if Grant emerges). He also has to beat out Galloway on top of Calderon, so it's a tougher road for him than KP who's up against KOQ who is more C than PF and D-Will who is more SF than PF.

I don't have the patience to give Calderon every opportunity to keep the starting spot. It's probably too much to ask, but I want the starting lineup settled by the first game of pre-season.
ctorres
RealGM

Post#887 » by ctorres » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:13 pm

Who on our team does have the lateral quickness to guard most SFs? Am I wrong in assuming that the only guys who do are Galloway, Grant, and Afflalo who are all too short to defend the position on a regular basis?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#888 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:16 pm

ctorres wrote:

Who on our team does have the lateral quickness to guard most SFs? Am I wrong in assuming that the only guys who do are Galloway, Grant, and Afflalo who are all too short to defend the position on a regular basis?

Thanasis, Melo, Williams (his problem is IQ...which is severely lacking defensively), and Early...and then there are the guards.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#889 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:27 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
ctorres wrote:

Thanasis, Melo, Williams (his problem is IQ...which is severely lacking defensively), and Early...and then there are the guards.

I could see Thanasis getting minutes in certain match-ups where we need to contain a SF that is going off on us.
ImageImageImage
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#890 » by malik959 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:41 pm

Yeah, but you also have to understand that the avg. PF/Cen height in the Spanish league is more 6'9/6'8 and Kris was basically guarding what would be considered small forwards in our league. That's why I can see him guarding players like Melo, L.Deng, and Durant. I can see him giving them issues due to his length simular to Nerlens Noel.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#891 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:44 pm

malik959 wrote:

Yeah, but you also have to understand that the avg. PF/Cen height in the Spanish league is more 6'9/6'8 and Kris was basically guarding what would be considered small forwards in our league. That's why I can see him guarding players like Melo, L.Deng, and Durant. I can see him giving them issues due to his length simular to Nerlens Noel.

The guys overseas are smaller but they have nowhere near the quickness that SFs have. Noel doesn't guard SFs and he's quicker laterally than KP.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#892 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:44 pm

malik959 wrote:

Huh? They would eat KP alive.

Those 6'8 dudes in the Spanish league had no perimeter skills or elite athleticism. They would be considered small, unskilled power forwards in our league
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#893 » by Triple C » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:06 pm

Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,510

Post#894 » by Iron Mantis » Sun Oct 4, 2015 11:15 pm

ctorres wrote:
j4remi wrote:

PG - Jerian Grant
SG - Arron Afflalo
SF - Carmelo Anthony
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Robin Lopez

I think they're gonna give Calderon every opportunity to keep the starting spot so that they can bring along Grant at their speed (and maybe sell Calderon at the deadline if Grant emerges). He also has to beat out Galloway on top of Calderon, so it's a tougher road for him than KP who's up against KOQ who is more C than PF and D-Will who is more SF than PF.

I don't have the patience to give Calderon every opportunity to keep the starting spot. It's probably too much to ask, but I want the starting lineup settled by the first game of pre-season.

Not too much to ask. Jose would be a great anchor for the 2nd unit.

When everyone knows their role from the door, instead of trying to selfishly upstage one another, guys can concentrate on chemistry, unity, and winning.
ctorres
RealGM

Post#895 » by ctorres » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:09 am

Iron Mantis wrote:Not too much to ask. Jose would be a great anchor for the 2nd unit.

When everyone knows their role from the door, instead of trying to selfishly upstage one another, guys can concentrate on chemistry, unity, and winning.

With Jose turning 34 years old, why should he play more than 20-24 mpg? Then again, Fisher was his same age when the Lakers won the title in 2009 and 2010. Fisher was likely better defensively though.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#896 » by AmazingJason » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:17 am

Triple C wrote:http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2015/10/04/1443971024791-151004highlights-hd-720p.mov-40626

Grant at the end :D

Is it just me or does Vujacic look really sharp in all the videos? Hitting open jumpers, pull-ups, moving the ball, making nice passes...
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#897 » by AmazingJason » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:18 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
ctorres wrote:

I could see Thanasis getting minutes in certain match-ups where we need to contain a SF that is going off on us.

If Thansis plays one minute outside of garbage time, it probably means our season is in trouble :o

El Poochio - POBO

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#898 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:26 am

AmazingJason wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

If Thansis plays one minute outside of garbage time, it probably means our season is in trouble :o

Or it could mean that he's developed some kind of consistent three point shot and we need his defense.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#899 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:28 am

AmazingJason wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I'm going to throw a party for all the Thanasis haters and Spider Dreadlock phobics, get you all liquored up, hand out pitchforks and torches and set you loose.

The guy has not played a minute of regular season time yet. You write him off. Take the deduction. I'm going to be patient.
ImageImageImage
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#900 » by AmazingJason » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:37 am

Triple C wrote:http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2015/10/04/1443971024791-151004highlights-hd-720p.mov-40626

Grant at the end :D

Too big, too strong, too fast :o

El Poochio - POBO

Return to New York Knicks