ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Cotto vs Alvarez boxing

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

H_20
RealGM
And1: 771

OT: Cotto vs Alvarez boxing 

Post#1 » by H_20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:05 pm

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fights/2015/11-21-miguel-cotto-vs-canelo

Miguel Cotto(age 35) 40-4-0-33 KO's
Canelo Alvarez(age 25) 45-1-1-32 KO's

Going to be a great fight I hope, I know everyone is saying that Alvarez is going to beat his ass but I think this will be a close one.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,306

Re: OT: Cotto vs Alvarez boxing 

Post#2 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Yeah, Cotto has a shot. A little late for him, but he turned things around and has the focus and will have a game plan.
ImageImageImage
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#3 » by islanders11040 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Im more of a casual watcher. With the sport moving on from Mayweather and Pacquiao, this is one of the better matches left. Some people say it can be fight of the year. I will tune in (ie: i will illegally stream it online without paying)
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#4 » by E-Balla » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:54 am

Where's the activity here? Where the boricuas at?

My brain keeps telling me Cotton is gonna win but I want Canelo to come out on top. He's great but he has always needed to take that next step up.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#5 » by kane2021 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:20 am

Not looking good

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#6 » by islanders11040 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:36 am

fight has been better in later rounds
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by kane2021 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:37 am

They keep talking about size but I know cotto. The force is not behind his punches like im used to seeing. That bad intention factor is missing.

isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#8 » by isiah_thomas » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:39 am

Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#9 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:51 am

kane2021 wrote:They keep talking about size but I know cotto. The force is not behind his punches like im used to seeing. That bad intention factor is missing.

Think you're right. Looked like punches lacked bite
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
Priggy Smalls
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#10 » by Priggy Smalls » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:53 am

canelo definitely won so it doesn't matter too much but 119-109? cmon...
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#11 » by camillepd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:54 am

so Canelo wins.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#12 » by E-Balla » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:12 am

Priggy Smalls wrote:canelo definitely won so it doesn't matter too much but 119-109? cmon...

Yeah but remember they split the Mayweather decision.

I honestly thought more people would think Cotto won. In the early rounds he looked to be winning more but IMO Canelo came back late to practically tie it.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by kane2021 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:20 am

Cotto stayed lite on his feet and tried to move around. He didnt generate that power from the legs and hips. He didnt put the torque into his punches,... they were arm punches. Land for points type punches. And you can see it in the numbers too.

I could tell in the locker room before the fight in his expression he wasnt too sure of himself. He just wasnt himself. They keep talking about the size difference. But that has nothing to do with cotto not digging in and ripping his shots. If size had anything to do with this fight,... its that the difference got into cottos head before they stepped into the ring.

I have a feeling Cotto made a deal with himself going into this match that he wasnt going to try and fight this kid. I think he had already determined in his mind,.. that he wasnt going to be able to hurt him badly or knock him out. So let me box, move, stay out of trouble, score points to try and win a decision.

One of those deals where you think, if I dont hit him hard maybe he wont hit me hard. Red bitches face was barley touched up. If cotto would have generated the type of power he has always been capable of, this would have been a different fight. Win or lose.

My Puerto Rican pride is keeping me from really telling the truth of what I saw, but i'll say it. I think cotto was intimidated.

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,464

Post#14 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:29 am

kane2021 wrote:They keep talking about size but I know cotto. The force is not behind his punches like im used to seeing. That bad intention factor is missing.

He didn't look right from the beginning.. he looked sluggish, the footwork was a little clumsy. He just didn't look light on his feet like he normally does. I'm not happy with how Roach prepared him for this fight. There had to be a heavy emphasis on him having to box more if his shots weren't affecting Canelo. It has to have had something to do with how they prepared his body physically for this fight which was centered around their game plan because his legs looked shaky from the start which affected the footwork which then affected his ability to plant and fire.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#15 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:34 am

kane2021 wrote:My Puerto Rican pride is keeping me from really telling the truth of what I saw, but i'll say it. I think cotto was intimidated.

Let me ask you this.. does Cotto normally stare out to his wife when they're announcing his name? It was weird because he didn't try and lock eyes with Canelo with they were announcing the fighters and the fighters are on opposite corners bouncing around and then when they went to touch gloves it was Canelo who refused to make eye contact. There might have been a little fear from both fighters but Canelo knew he was the bigger guy so it makes it easy for him to overcome that and once he feels his punches he knows for sure. And Canelo's corner didn't act like they had a fighter who was winning such a "lopsided" fight (I didn't see it that way) in between rounds the way they were talking to him.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: OT: Cotto vs Alvarez boxing 

Post#16 » by kane2021 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:58 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
kane2021 wrote:My Puerto Rican pride is keeping me from really telling the truth of what I saw, but i'll say it. I think cotto was intimidated.

Let me ask you this.. does Cotto normally stare out to his wife when they're announcing his name? It was weird because he didn't try and lock eyes with Canelo with they were announcing the fighters and the fighters are on opposite corners bouncing around and then when they went to touch gloves it was Canelo who refused to make eye contact. There might have been a little fear from both fighters but Canelo knew he was the bigger guy so it makes it easy for him to overcome that and once he feels his punches he knows for sure. And Canelo's corner didn't act like they had a fighter who was winning such a "lopsided" fight (I didn't see it that way) in between rounds the way they were talking to him.

NO! I noticed that too! He always acknowledges his family. But he has never done that before where he focuses on them the whole intro. And he has never had headphones on either. He clearly seemed to be detaching himself from the build up. He wanted to stay focused on what ever was going on in his head.

And I also thought it was weird red didn't make eye contact.

I think you're right. I think both guys were a little, ... nervous. The one factor that seemed consistent was red bitch had a confidence about something in himself. And like you said, its probably because he was the bigger man and he knew he had at least that advantage.

Cotto didn't look good. You saw the same things I saw. His jab was on point. He had red set up for a right cross multiple times. Roach told him to move forward with the jab, and throw it. Cotto threw that punch ONCE.

His right hook was a slap. There was no force behind it at all. Watch any cotto fight and he always ripped his hooks. Especially in counters during exchanges.

Cotto never got low on his left hook. Usually he plants his foot. Generates the power up from the legs into his hip to his torso and rips while turning on the ball of his lead foot. These left hooks he threw today, ... were fast snapping shots.

Neither guy seemed to want to try and hurt the other. Probably because both guys know the other is more dangerous when hurt. I think the 8th had some good exchanges. Wasn't until the 12th round where they decided to try and REALLY hurt each other.

Im disappointed. Cottos family knew in the 5th he wasn't himself too.

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Re: RE: Re: OT: Cotto vs Alvarez boxing 

Post#17 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:18 am

kane2021 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

NO! I noticed that too! He always acknowledges his family. But he has never done that before where he focuses on them the whole intro. And he has never had headphones on either. He clearly seemed to be detaching himself from the build up. He wanted to stay focused on what ever was going on in his head.

And I also thought it was weird red didn't make eye contact.

I think you're right. I think both guys were a little, ... nervous. The one factor that seemed consistent was red bitch had a confidence about something in himself. And like you said, its probably because he was the bigger man and he knew he had at least that advantage.

Cotto didn't look good. You saw the same things I saw. His jab was on point. He had red set up for a right cross multiple times. Roach told him to move forward with the jab, and throw it. Cotto threw that punch ONCE.

His right hook was a slap. There was no force behind it at all. Watch any cotto fight and he always ripped his hooks. Especially in counters during exchanges.

Cotto never got low on his left hook. Usually he plants his foot. Generates the power up from the legs into his hip to his torso and rips while turning on the ball of his lead foot. These left hooks he threw today, ... were fast snapping shots.

Neither guy seemed to want to try and hurt the other. Probably because both guys know the other is more dangerous when hurt. I think the 8th had some good exchanges. Wasn't until the 12th round where they decided to try and REALLY hurt each other.

Im disappointed. Cottos family knew in the 5th he wasn't himself too.

Yeah the family was stoned face the whole fight.

You know what though I'm just glad he didn't get hurt or knocked out (and I bet that's exactly what he was thinking and that would be the wrong mindset and an explanation for the emotional side of the fight but the physical side and technical side I put on Freddy). He's been in so many wars and he's been the best ambassador for not only his country but for the sport. And I didn't want him to take the GGG fight and knowing Puerto Rican fighters he would have.

Cotto's had a heck of a career and has made tons of money and it looks like he's going to leave the sport relatively healthy.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,996

Post#18 » by Fury » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 am

Canelo talking tough about Golovkin but I still don't think he takes that fight
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#19 » by Shemy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:46 am

I like Canelo but GGG is eating this dude alive, hope they don't go for May, give Canelo a quality opponent in May like a Bradley or Andy lee and have CANELO-GGG in SEPT/OCT

Excluding the potential GGG-Canelo match up some very very exciting potential super fights in the next year or so if **** plays out right, including a resurgence in the heavyweight division
"They scared now"
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#20 » by bigfnjoe96 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Cotto definitely didn't look right last night. His punches didn't seem to have any bad intentions like Canelo's did.

I thought he fought a pretty good fight. Those scores though. 1 judge had Cotto only winning 1 Rd. C'mon now. I know the WBC was pissed Cotto wouldn't pay that sanctioning fee, but to be so obvious.

I hope Cotto retires. He really has nothing else to prove.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Return to New York Knicks