ImageImageImageImageImage

Is this a reliable source in referense to Melo to Clips

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,464

Re: Is this a reliable source in referense to Melo to Clips 

Post#441 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:13 pm

And I love Kevin Durant. But he ain't coming here with and most likely without Melo. If I was sitting where he's sitting (in fact any other player) Porzingis would be the attraction not a progressively more injury prone Melo. Sorry, just my opinion.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,464

Post#442 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Outside of the LeBron run in Miami has that playing with friends stuff actually worked?

That trend came and went pretty quickly.
awe1028
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#443 » by awe1028 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Maybe I am missing something but this trade does not make sense to me. The final tally in the trade is that the Clippers get Melo and the Clippers trade Blake Griffin. So why do we need Washington and Atlanta to complicate the deal. Just simply trade Melo to the Clippers and the Clippers trade Blake Griffin to the knicks. Simple. You don't need the other two teams and the Knicks get the second best player (or best player depending on your perspective) Blake Griffin.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#444 » by EMG518 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:32 pm

I am all for moving Melo at this point, Teague and Porter would not be the return I would be looking for though. Melo's legs are not getting any younger, I really think it is foolish to think he is going to be the number 1 option on our team going forward and we could win or that Porzingis would be able to become our number 1 option early enough in his career for it to work with Melo and win.

The actual window for moving Melo is quite small, right now he still has alot of value, the older he gets and the more games he misses the lower his value becomes, there is actually a demand for him right now in a place where he would consider signing off on and there is an actual return available that warrants discussion, that return and demand might be very different in the future.

I think our best move would be to orchestrate a trade for Griffin. We then move him either before the deadline or in the off season and really start to rebuild the right way. We have our picks going forward after this season. The next couple of drafts where we have our own picks look to be much stronger than the last few. It would be the perfect time to go in the tank. We would be able to deal Griffin for alot of assets, he doesnt have the clause and we could literally just ship him to the highest bidder. Porzingis would have a couple of years to develop, then we can hit the free agency market in 2018 with a more developed KP, two high lottery picks from the 17 and 18 draft, the assets we gained from dealing Blake, and really offer a good environment for players to come join.
ladron628
Senior
And1: 151

Post#445 » by ladron628 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:33 pm

EdgeOf wrote:
ladron628 wrote:[

Banking on building the next GSW or OKC through the draft is foolish. I agree with that. But surrounding KP with capable young players who are solid rotation pieces (a la Justise Winslow) isn't as far fetched. That team seems more attractive to a superstar FA duo like Russ/KD than one in which Melo is eating a huge chunk of the cap and there is no bench/other players.

Completely disagree. Westbrook and Durant would rather form a big three with Melo and have Porzingis be that youth that you mention. A young upcoming team means nothing to established players like Durant or Westbrook who don't want to wait on the youth gaining enough experience to be competitive in the playoffs. It's hilarious how some people think players are going to see it through their eyes when they simply don't, they don't want to wait or waste years for a potential dynasty, they want to win now....

Melo is going to be 33 by the start of the 2017-18 season. I don't really see how that's more attractive to KD/Russ than a 3rd year KP and a foundation of talented young players, including a likely top 3 pick in 2017. 33 year old Melo is not going to be the 3rd star in a team that is challenging the Warriors for a title, the window is closing faster than some of you think, and don't kid yourselves that the top FAs think otherwise. Unless we get direct word that KD/Russ want to come here to play with Melo, I don't see a way that keeping him makes sense, either for the Knicks or for Melo who before long will probably start to think more about his legacy.
ladron628
Senior
And1: 151

Post#446 » by ladron628 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:36 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:And I love Kevin Durant. But he ain't coming here with and most likely without Melo. If I was sitting where he's sitting (in fact any other player) Porzingis would be the attraction not a progressively more injury prone Melo. Sorry, just my opinion.

Completely agree. KP and young lotto picks who are rotations pieces if not stars would be enough to get the big names to sign on here. Superstars aren't going to sign to join teams like the Wolves/Bucks because of where they are. If there is a solid, inexpensive foundation in place for the Knicks, that's when this market will start to work in their favor.
Ralow
Junior

Post#447 » by Ralow » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:45 pm

You guys have to remember that the Olympics are this summer. Remember after the 2008 Olympics is when Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all conspired to join forces in 2010. Melo, Chandler, and Amare did the same....and Chris Paul tried to join them but the agents couldn't make it work. I suspect that once the final team is announced, Westbrook, KD, and a few other summer 2017 FAs will all be ready to join forces. If Melo is on the team, we have a better shot at maybe Westbrook, Paul or anyone else wanting to join up on the Knicks along with KP. I also suspect KD signs a Max deal with OKC with an opt out after 1 year just like Lebron did last summer...just so he can try to join forces with someone in 2017. Not saying it's going to happen but this summer is where the players will all be bonding and might decide to come to NY (or LA or GS or anywhere).

Here is the list of finalists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_men's_Olympic_basketball_team
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,806

Post#448 » by spree8 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Ralow wrote:You guys have to remember that the Olympics are this summer. Remember after the 2008 Olympics is when Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all conspired to join forces in 2010. Melo, Chandler, and Amare did the same....and Chris Paul tried to join them but the agents couldn't make it work. I suspect that once the final team is announced, Westbrook, KD, and a few other summer 2017 FAs will all be ready to join forces. If Melo is on the team, we have a better shot at maybe Westbrook, Paul or anyone else wanting to join up on the Knicks along with KP. I also suspect KD signs a Max deal with OKC with an opt out after 1 year just like Lebron did last summer...just so he can try to join forces with someone in 2017. Not saying it's going to happen but this summer is where the players will all be bonding and might decide to come to NY (or LA or GS or anywhere).

Let that go bro...it's just not gunna happen.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#449 » by Triple C » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:13 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/698190127189909504[/tweet]
Ralow
Junior

Post#450 » by Ralow » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:42 pm

spree8 wrote:
Ralow wrote:You guys have to remember that the Olympics are this summer. Remember after the 2008 Olympics is when Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all conspired to join forces in 2010. Melo, Chandler, and Amare did the same....and Chris Paul tried to join them but the agents couldn't make it work. I suspect that once the final team is announced, Westbrook, KD, and a few other summer 2017 FAs will all be ready to join forces. If Melo is on the team, we have a better shot at maybe Westbrook, Paul or anyone else wanting to join up on the Knicks along with KP. I also suspect KD signs a Max deal with OKC with an opt out after 1 year just like Lebron did last summer...just so he can try to join forces with someone in 2017. Not saying it's going to happen but this summer is where the players will all be bonding and might decide to come to NY (or LA or GS or anywhere).

Let that go bro...it's just not gunna happen.

I'm not saying it will...just pointing out that it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I don't think KD comes to NY...but Westbrook might....slim chance but he might. He also might go to the Lakers since he's from LA.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,432

Post#451 » by duetta » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Just saw that Al Horford could get a 5 year 145m offer max offer from Atlanta. Scary money - regardless of who is paying. Anthony remains a bargain at his dollars, as does RoLopez.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#452 » by Marty McFly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:24 pm

duetta wrote:Just saw that Al Horford could get a 5 year 145m offer max offer from Atlanta. Scary money - regardless of who is paying. Anthony remains a bargain at his dollars, as does RoLopez.

unreal. those contracts in these next couple of years are going to be bonkers. i can't imagine what in the blue **** steph is going to get the following off season.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#453 » by mpharris36 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:26 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
duetta wrote:Just saw that Al Horford could get a 5 year 145m offer max offer from Atlanta. Scary money - regardless of who is paying. Anthony remains a bargain at his dollars, as does RoLopez.

unreal. those contracts in these next couple of years are going to be bonkers. i can't imagine what in the blue **** steph is going to get the following off season.

not much more since max's are fixed to time of service...not how good you are.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#454 » by Marty McFly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:32 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

not much more since max's are fixed to time of service...not how good you are.

much more than he's currently being paid that for sure.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#455 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Yikes. This is why I'm not in favor of trading Lopez to fill the hole at point guard. We have a starting center in the NBA locked up for 3 more years at a deal that will look even more reasonable as time goes on. That's not an easy thing to replace.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#456 » by Red Vines » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Melo wants to play with another star, we're not getting another star, Melo wants to win now, we're not going to win now...hmmmm what could possibly be the best solution to all of this?
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#457 » by King of Canada » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:50 pm

Red Vines wrote:Melo wants to play with another star, we're not getting another star, Melo wants to win now, we're not going to win now...hmmmm what could possibly be the best solution to all of this?

Signing a FA in the offseason? I think that's what Melo was getting at.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#458 » by King of Canada » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:

Yikes. This is why I'm not in favor of trading Lopez to fill the hole at point guard. We have a starting center in the NBA locked up for 3 more years at a deal that will look even more reasonable as time goes on. That's not an easy thing to replace.

You're right. Horford is a good basketball player, but he is in no way dominant and doesn't deserve that kind of money.
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#459 » by Red Vines » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:54 pm

King of Canada wrote:
Red Vines wrote:Melo wants to play with another star, we're not getting another star, Melo wants to win now, we're not going to win now...hmmmm what could possibly be the best solution to all of this?

And no star is signing with us. Durant doesn't even make sense, Melo isn't playing PF and KP isn't ready to be a full-time C.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#460 » by King of Canada » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:01 pm

Red Vines wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

And no star is signing with us. Durant doesn't even make sense, Melo isn't playing PF and KP isn't ready to be a full-time C.

You could be right, but I think Melo was giving the right answers too.
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Return to New York Knicks