ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Team USA Basketball's 2016 Rio Olympics Thread (News, Rumors, Official Roster)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Re: Official Team USA Basketball's 2016 Rio Olympics Thread (News, Rumors, Roster Updates) 

Post#21 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:57 pm

To me it's 50/50 if Melo makes it. I can see both sides on why he should or shouldn't be there.

Personally I think he should sit it out, rather than risk the humiliation of not making it. He already has his medals. Let someone else get it now.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Re: Official Team USA Basketball's 2016 Rio Olympics Thread (News, Rumors, Roster Updates) 

Post#22 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Sark wrote:To me it's 50/50 if Melo makes it. I can see both sides on why he should or shouldn't be there.

Personally I think he should sit it out, rather than risk the humiliation of not making it. He already has his medals. Let someone else get it now.

Coach K isn't going to not pick Melo. That coaching staff loves him.
Sark
RealGM

Post#23 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Sark wrote:To me it's 50/50 if Melo makes it. I can see both sides on why he should or shouldn't be there.

That's the 50% for. The 50% against is that there are better players. The only 100% lock is Curry.
Sark
RealGM

Post#24 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Paul George probably is 99.44% lock, after what happened to his leg last time. Hard to say no to him. Kawhi and Durant probably get 2 more spots.

Of those 3, not sure who Melo can push out.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Sark wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

That's the 50% for. The 50% against is that there are better players. The only 100% lock is Curry.

They are going to want vets on the team. Right now, that's him and Lebron. That will increase his likelihood. Also these teams aren't always about "best player". It's about who they want to trot out there to represent the US. Anthony is a big name with a lot of fans around the world. He's done extremely well in the Olympics. I think he's in unless he doesn't want to be. Same with Lebron. There is no "tryouts" for these things regardless of what they may want to make it seem.
Sark
RealGM

Post#26 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Sark wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

They are going to want vets on the team. Right now, that's him and Lebron. That will increase his likelihood. Also these teams aren't always about "best player". It's about who they want to trot out there to represent the US. Anthony is a big name with a lot of fans around the world. He's done extremely well in the Olympics. I think he's in unless he doesn't want to be. Same with Lebron. There is no "tryouts" for these things regardless of what they may want to make it seem.

They like vets but not dinosaurs. Curry, Harden, and Durant are veterans at this point. They might want to use this to usher in the new era. Maybe wash away the final stink from 2004 disaster.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#27 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Melo definitely wants to play in the Olympics

“From a morale standpoint as a player, if you’ve been through the things I’ve been through the past couple of years, you want to feel what that success feels like,’’ Anthony said. “The Olympics for me is great timing for me, especially coming off this season and injuries, and mentally it’s good for me to get out there and feel what that feels like again.’’

CP3 not playing won't faze him

“The only thing I can come up with now is his body and an injury going on he wants to take care of,’’ Anthony said. “But that doesn’t affect my decision. … I’ll phone him later. I hope it’s not serious.’’

“I really haven’t talked to [Paul] about exactly why he made that decision right now,’’ Anthony said. “If we were all going to do it, I would’ve loved for him to be a part of that, especially for this one last time. If he’s not feeling it, his body’s not right and not healthy, then no need for him [to play].’’
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#28 » by Greenie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm

Yodi2007 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Yodi2007 wrote:"Cool and Nice thing"? Melo has to earn that spot to be there! And to me he hasn't earned it!

Who are you Yodi?

The Question is, Who are you Greenie?

Let me think about it.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#29 » by NOOB77 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm

LOL @ the thought of them leaving Melo off the roster. If Melo wants to play he will be on the roster regardless if there are better up and coming players or not. Look who is on the coaching staff. Coach K loves Melo. Jim Boeheim is college coach. Tom Thibodeau loves Melo. The idea that he isn't going to be selected is stupid.

Now you may think that Melo should be left off so he can rest that is a valid thing but if Melo wants to play he will be selected. No chance he gets left off. Plus the last 2 Olympic games he was been one of our best players.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Sark wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Sark wrote:

They like vets but not dinosaurs. Curry, Harden, and Durant are veterans at this point. They might want to use this to usher in the new era. Maybe wash away the final stink from 2004 disaster.

You aren't seriously blaming Anthony for 2004 are you? If you are then you should want none of the young guys cause Anthony was only 20 then.
Sark
RealGM

Post#31 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:20 pm

We're not talking about Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker taking his spot. We're talking about Durant, Kawhi, and Paul George, who are all better than Melo.

He's not a top 20 player anymore, let alone top 12. If he get the invite, it'll be a charity invite, not based on merit.
Sark
RealGM

Post#32 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Sark wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

You aren't seriously blaming Anthony for 2004 are you? If you are then you should want none of the young guys cause Anthony was only 20 then.

Not blaming him, just acknowledging that he was there.

Like I said it's 50/50 that he gets in. I can see them might wanting to give an old guy his last hurrah. At the same time they might want to make this the "Curry Olympics", and just make it all about him.

Which 20 year old did I say should go BTW? The guys I listed are all actually veterans.
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#33 » by NOOB77 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Sark wrote:We're not talking about Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker taking his spot. We're talking about Durant, Kawhi, and Paul George, who are all better than Melo.

He's not a top 20 player anymore, let alone top 12. If he get the invite, it'll be a charity invite, not based on merit.

Melo is a top 20 international player.
Sark
RealGM

Post#34 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:32 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:
Sark wrote:We're not talking about Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker taking his spot. We're talking about Durant, Kawhi, and Paul George, who are all better than Melo.

Roster is only 12.
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#35 » by NOOB77 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Sark wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:

Roster is only 12.

Melo top 12 international player
Sark
RealGM

Post#36 » by Sark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:13 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:
Sark wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:

Roster is only 12.

Debatable. There's at least 12 players more deserving of a spot. If he gets one, it'll be to throw him a bone.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#37 » by ctorres » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Melo is better suited to play PF/C in the Olympics than most of the SF's on the list. That's why I think he makes it in.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#38 » by andrewww » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:38 pm

Sark wrote:
andrewww wrote:Stephen Curry - Russell Westbrook - Kyrie Irving
James Harden - Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard - Paul George
Kevin Durant - Draymond Green - LaMarcus Aldridge
DeMarcus Cousins - Andre Drummond

This is all assuming Lebron and Melo sit this one out, and Jimmy Butler opts for rest after an injury-riddled season.

Wait how'd you leave Lillard off the team? After the All Star game snub, no way he gets snubbed for this. They gonna have to take 6 guard or something I think.

Its not about what I think, USA Basketball and Colangelo CLEARLY prefer Kyrie over Lillard (right or wrong).

Also if Melo wants in, it likely means one of PG13/LMA/Drummond dont make it. USA has previously taken only 3 true "bigs" to the past 2 olympics, and Cousins/Draymond are locks to make it as "bigs" imo.
NOOB77
General Manager

Post#39 » by NOOB77 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Sark wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:
Sark wrote:

Roster is only 12.

Debatable. There's at least 12 players more deserving of a spot. If he gets one, it'll be to throw him a bone.

What does deserving mean for Team USA? This isn't an NBA All-Star team or All NBA Team.
Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

Post#40 » by Yodi2007 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Hands down Melo needs to Keep himself out of the Olympics! If he plays and hurts himself even worst or causes his existing injury to be aggravated, I would void his contract or trade him flat out!

Return to New York Knicks