ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA...The Playoffs Are Here!!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,486

Re: Around the NBA...The Playoffs Are Here!! 

Post#2001 » by RHODEY » Mon May 2, 2016 6:40 pm

SMAC-K wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
It is not easy to close out an opponent in a series. Game 7 is hard to win, no matter if you are home or away, you have to be a little impressed that they didnt fold and give up and get discouraged under pressure. They got a huge monkey off their back, with the drought they were in, there was a lot of pressure on them to win that series. Plus, Indiana was a very tough opponent, very evenly matched with Toronto. I think there is even more talent on the Indiana team.

You are right about Indy being a tough opponent, but conversely Toronto is not as tough as they should be, given how they are lauded as the 2nd best team in the East. The IMO are somewhat of an overrated team. I expect them to fold against Miami.

They are not overrated if you don't put them in the same class as Cleveland, who is the only real contender in the East. After that, they do fit in with the 2nd tier of teams in the conference. They are not above any of the teams that are remaining, plus you can add Indy and Charlotte to the mix as well.

Yes they are no better than Miami or even Atlanta, honestly I think they are a little worse. But they were always mentioned as the next best team behind Cleveland. Somewhat fraudulent in my eyes. But maybe I'm wrong lets see how their series with Miami plays out.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#2002 » by NY2TheBay » Mon May 2, 2016 7:48 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:I still think he could get exposed & he's works better as a #2 than a #1 but I can't deny numbers or how he's playing :lol:

The aspect that he is exposing is that he is and will continue to be overshadowed by Steph. He is exposing that there are very few 2's in the league that will chase around Damian Lilllard for 37 minutes and still put up elite offensive production.

His offensive production could dip (if thats what you mean by expose) but the great thing about him is his defense won't and he'll make Damian work hard for his buckets.

He is a great #2 on a championship team but he can be a #1 option on a playoff team and thats being proven.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#2003 » by JBreezeNY » Mon May 2, 2016 7:55 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:I still think he could get exposed & he's works better as a #2 than a #1 but I can't deny numbers or how he's playing :lol:

The aspect that he is exposing is that he is and will continue to be overshadowed by Steph. He is exposing that there are very few 2's in the league that will chase around Damian Lilllard for 37 minutes and still put up elite offensive production.

His offensive production could dip (if thats what you mean by expose) but the great thing about him is his defense won't and he'll make Damian work hard for his buckets.

He is a great #2 on a championship team but he can be a #1 option on a playoff team and thats being proven.

What I mean by exposed is that he has poor handles, has a weak post game & struggles when players get in his face on a consistent basis.

I honestly don't think his defense will be the same on a different team because the Warriors surround him with great defensive talent & frankly as a number 1 you exhaust a lot of energy on offense.

Perfect examples are Jimmy Butler & Harden.

But yea he could be a #1, he just works best as a #2.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#2004 » by NY2TheBay » Mon May 2, 2016 8:07 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Klay has been playing really well with Steph out, but neither the Rockets or Blazers are good defensive teams. Both were actually worse than the Knicks during the regular season in terms of defensive efficiency with the Blazers being 18th in the league and the Rockets being in the bottom 10. The Rockets didn't play anything close to playoff level defense in the 1st round, and the Blazers didn't either in game 1. We'll see what adjustments Portland can make for game 2, but their lack of size, rim protection, and overall good defenders will limit what they can do.

Fair point and I certainly won't argue defensive metrics as they are statistically shown. However, Klay does the majority of his damage from the perimeter first, as shown by his 3 point prowess, and uses drives when closeouts come aggressively. Rim protection doesn't fit well here. The main point is that when all the focus is on him as a number one option he can and will light you up. Being 18th in the league defensively is essentially middle of the pack and when playoffs come these guys ramp it up to a new level.

If you are waiting for the Spurs to come, by then Steph will be playing, to evaluate this kid as an elite scorer and player then you have missed the boat. Prime Kobe would work for his points against that spurs team offensively, they are a GREAT defensive team and in this era one of the best I've seen.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#2005 » by NY2TheBay » Mon May 2, 2016 8:19 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

What I mean by exposed is that he has poor handles, has a weak post game & struggles when players get in his face on a consistent basis.

I honestly don't think his defense will be the same on a different team because the Warriors surround him with great defensive talent & frankly as a number 1 you exhaust a lot of energy on offense.

Handles isn't his strength, he is a prototypical 2. Think Reggie Miller mixed with Allan Houston offensively. He isn't going to run the offense or try to consistently break down teams off the bounce.

He has a solid post game, I don't know why the warriors don't use it probably because they love running him off of screens and sets with him and steph stretching out the defense. I cant blame them, they have had a ton of success. His post game is underutilized. That, in my opinion, wouldn't be exposed negatively.

His man to man perimeter defense would transition, they place him on just about any PG and SG.

Truth is we don't know and won't know since he is in his given situation. What I do know is how under appreciated he is by the majority of fans and thats why I go to bat for him.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#2006 » by Greenie » Mon May 2, 2016 11:25 pm

Bust Imans ass Timmy!
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#2007 » by StephNYKurry » Mon May 2, 2016 11:26 pm

Bazemore gon' cost you 20
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#2008 » by knicks94 » Mon May 2, 2016 11:28 pm

San Antonio in 5, Cleveland in 5, GS in 4 and Miami in 6.

Looks like the most boring playoffs of all time.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#2009 » by Greenie » Mon May 2, 2016 11:29 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

Handles isn't his strength, he is a prototypical 2. Think Reggie Miller mixed with Allan Houston offensively. He isn't going to run the offense or try to consistently break down teams off the bounce.

He has a solid post game, I don't know why the warriors don't use it probably because they love running him off of screens and sets with him and steph stretching out the defense. I cant blame them, they have had a ton of success. His post game is underutilized. That, in my opinion, wouldn't be exposed negatively.

His man to man perimeter defense would transition, they place him on just about any PG and SG.

Truth is we don't know and won't know since he is in his given situation. What I do know is how under appreciated he is by the majority of fans and thats why I go to bat for him.

Klay is the SG you put next to a PG that needs that ball in his hands. In today's NBA that is HUGE.
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#2010 » by StephNYKurry » Mon May 2, 2016 11:32 pm

Forgot how booty Tim was man
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#2011 » by NY2TheBay » Mon May 2, 2016 11:39 pm

Greenie wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:What I mean by exposed is that he has poor handles, has a weak post game & struggles when players get in his face on a consistent basis.

Klay is the SG you put next to a PG that needs that ball in his hands. In today's NBA that is HUGE.

Yeah, so what you're telling me is he is the guy you put next to nearly ALL PG's. Got it. 8-)
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#2012 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon May 2, 2016 11:40 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Klay has been playing really well with Steph out, but neither the Rockets or Blazers are good defensive teams. Both were actually worse than the Knicks during the regular season in terms of defensive efficiency with the Blazers being 18th in the league and the Rockets being in the bottom 10. The Rockets didn't play anything close to playoff level defense in the 1st round, and the Blazers didn't either in game 1. We'll see what adjustments Portland can make for game 2, but their lack of size, rim protection, and overall good defenders will limit what they can do.

Fair point and I certainly won't argue defensive metrics as they are statistically shown. However, Klay does the majority of his damage from the perimeter first, as shown by his 3 point prowess, and uses drives when closeouts come aggressively. Rim protection doesn't fit well here. The main point is that when all the focus is on him as a number one option he can and will light you up. Being 18th in the league defensively is essentially middle of the pack and when playoffs come these guys ramp it up to a new level.

If you are waiting for the Spurs to come, by then Steph will be playing, to evaluate this kid as an elite scorer and player then you have missed the boat. Prime Kobe would work for his points against that spurs team offensively, they are a GREAT defensive team and in this era one of the best I've seen.

There wasn't that much separating the Blazers from the Rockets during the season in terms of defensive efficiency (106.1 defensive rating for Portland and a 106.5 defensive rating for Houston). The Blazers were closer to the Rockets than they were to the team right in front of them in the rankings (the Knicks with a 105.4 defensive rating).

Just from me watching game 1 the other day, the Blazers were making a lot of mistakes defensively (not staying glued to him as he came off screens, allowing him to get off 14 3 point attempts, etc). The good defensive teams will limit his catch and shoot opportunities and force him to make plays off the dribble, but I didn't really see that from Portland. Klay should be able to eat against Portland if they don't make the proper adjustments, but I'm not sure what they can really do. CJ isn't a good defender and is really undersized against Klay. The Blazers could put Aminu or Harkless on Klay, but then who would guard Dray or Barnes? If I were them, I might put whoever is guarding Barnes on Klay Thompson and hope for the best with CJ on Barnes (since Barnes hasn't been that good in these playoffs and doesn't get a ton of touches), but even then, Barnes is much taller than CJ and could just take him into the post or shoot over him with ease. It's tough.

The Spurs defense is amazing like u said...there's very very few players in today's NBA that would be able to consistently drop buckets on good efficiency against them IMO. Kawhi, Danny Green, TD, and Pop's scheme is just too damn good.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#2013 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon May 2, 2016 11:41 pm

Cleveland in 4...maybe 5 if Lebron is feeling generous
Greenie
RealGM

Post#2014 » by Greenie » Mon May 2, 2016 11:43 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:
Greenie wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

Yeah, so what you're telling me is he is the guy you put next to nearly ALL PG's. Got it. 8-)

8-)
Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#2015 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Mon May 2, 2016 11:43 pm

The hawks suck a***
Greenie
RealGM

Post#2016 » by Greenie » Mon May 2, 2016 11:46 pm

Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:The hawks suck a***

Yes, yes they do.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#2017 » by Red Vines » Mon May 2, 2016 11:52 pm

Hawks are so soft, you can see they won't fight to win this series.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#2018 » by NY2TheBay » Tue May 3, 2016 12:13 am

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

There wasn't that much separating the Blazers from the Rockets during the season in terms of defensive efficiency (106.1 defensive rating for Portland and a 106.5 defensive rating for Houston). The Blazers were closer to the Rockets than they were to the team right in front of them in the rankings (the Knicks with a 105.4 defensive rating).

Just from me watching game 1 the other day, the Blazers were making a lot of mistakes defensively (not staying glued to him as he came off screens, allowing him to get off 14 3 point attempts, etc). The good defensive teams will limit his catch and shoot opportunities and force him to make plays off the dribble, but I didn't really see that from Portland. Klay should be able to eat against Portland if they don't make the proper adjustments, but I'm not sure what they can really do. CJ isn't a good defender and is really undersized against Klay. The Blazers could put Aminu or Harkless on Klay, but then who would guard Dray or Barnes? If I were them, I might put whoever is guarding Barnes on Klay Thompson and hope for the best with CJ on Barnes (since Barnes hasn't been that good in these playoffs and doesn't get a ton of touches), but even then, Barnes is much taller than CJ and could just take him into the post or shoot over him with ease. It's tough.

The Spurs defense is amazing like u said...there's very very few players in today's NBA that would be able to consistently drop buckets on good efficiency against them IMO. Kawhi, Danny Green, TD, and Pop's scheme is just too damn good.

I was trying to sift through this post trying to put together what your thesis statement is. What I came up with was that essentially you are using the regular season defensive metrics to say why Klay is producing the way he is. That is fine and understandable and won't debate that as your stance is your stance. What I was saying and still supporting was if you are awaiting the Spurs or a top 5 defensive team before you are able to conclude that Klay is an elite scoring option in this league then we see it differently.

The blazers best bet is to get Klay off his spots when he pulls up as that is where he is most efficient and where the warriors mainly use him. He is more than capable of putting the ball on the floor for a few dribbles to reset or attack the rim on close-outs. He won't dribble the shot clock down and attempt to crossover a player to a contested step-back. Not his game and those plays aren't very efficient anyways.

Klay not only put up a historical last 3 games but he is averaging 27 ppg with the 7 games that Steph had missed during the season.

The part that many Harden fans neglect is what this guy is able to do defensively while putting up efficient offensive numbers. Case in point is vs. Dame yesterday who I would categorize as a top 10-15 player in this league and easily a top 5 pg.

The Trail Blazers shot 2-of-16 when Thompson was the primary defender, including 2-of-13 from Damian Lillard.

I dont suspect Klay to limit him to these numbers throughout as great offense can and will beat great defense but making it hard on these guys is part of Klay's game and why he is underrated.

We obviously see differently here and that is more than fine. The truth is I can only point out what the man has done with Steph off the court and we aren't going to see that often so I have to use the small sample size in front of me.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#2019 » by Thugger HBC » Tue May 3, 2016 12:24 am

Jr's history earned that flagrant
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#2020 » by Red Vines » Tue May 3, 2016 12:43 am

Still thinking about this dunk...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZzhhIt0Qek[/youtube]

Return to New York Knicks